Old 02-7-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
Hateandhatred
"The Quebec Steparatist."
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default How do you live with death?

Ok, so after seeing the afterlife thread, this I what I got out of it.

Minus the religious believers, most people think that death is pretty much becoming nothing.

However, a lot of people don't want to sit here and think that once they die, everything they achieved and lived for turns to nothing.

I.can understand Why this could be considered unhealthy. If everything is pointless, Why not organize a collective FFR suicide because it's all bullshit in the end?

Maybe it's all because humans have grown to be too smart. They can't just live without asking themselves too many questions, like other animals would do.

So yeah, you get the idea. What are your ideals about it? What do you think should be one's way to prepare themselves from death without harming an entire society with it?

This thread is NOT about what you think the afterlife is. This thread is (to put everyone in the same boat from the start) about how we should see our ends, and what kind of morals we should give to it, if we had to give it anything like that, given that once you die, the world world turns to oblivion, like before you were born and given consciousness. Or more precisely, how it should be supposing it is the case, if its not what you believe in.

It's good to see that side of the medal too, even though this probable outcome is the most problematic and most depressing one.

I will punch in later.

Go ahead. And remember, don't turn this into a copy of the other thread. But feel free to quote relevant stuff from it.

Last edited by Hateandhatred; 03-21-2012 at 09:48 AM..
Hateandhatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
25thhour
I like max
FFR Veteran

Default Re: How do you live with death?

I have lost very close loved ones before. It took a while, but in the end I finally accepted the fact that they passed on. It happens to everyone and there is no way to avoid it so moving on is pretty much the only way to "live" with death. I did go through the grief cycle before I moved on though.

Unless you like being depressed for your whole life.
Old 02-7-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

25thhour I don't think he's asking how you deal with the death of others but how you would deal with the coming of your death
Old 02-7-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

It's inevitable (unless biotechnology advances to the point of elongating human life), so why worry about it? Obviously, we all want to keep living out dreams/bettering ourselves/learning/etc but the faster you come to terms with death, the better.

What matters more is that you live your life how you want.
Choofers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
shadow 1800
I can't think of anything
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to shadow 1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
It's inevitable (unless biotechnology advances to the point of elongating human life), so why worry about it? Obviously, we all want to keep living out dreams/bettering ourselves/learning/etc but the faster you come to terms with death, the better.

What matters more is that you live your life how you want.
Pretty much this. Worrying about death your whole life is a COMPLETE waste of time. Why would you waste your time with something you know is going to happen in the end regardless? The more you worry about it the worse it gets. It is easier just not to think about it. If it really bothers you then deep down you probably hope there is a god and that you have a soul.
Old 02-7-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

The belief that after I die, the rest of the world keeps on living.

My individual existence isn't enough of a purpose for myself anyways; I need others to substantiate my life, so coming from that, the answer's pretty obvious. I'm merely a tiny piece of the entirety of the universe's consciousness (whatever that may be).
When I was a kid, I mattered because I thought God existed and God wanted me. I lost my belief in God when God was no longer a separate entity from my own mind. Either because of that, or through the same emotional turmoil that caused me to lose the feeling of god in the first place, that I exist and can experience is simply not strong enough of a reason for me to have that 'I'm alive!' zest for life most of the time. Afterall, if what made me so happy was simply in my head, regardless or not of whether it was an imagined God or me just loving myself and life, it's still all just me making it up. That's why love and relationships matter so much; they're reflections of me and a mutual sharing of experience that makes them special, and what makes life special.

I'm honestly fairly indifferent to death at this point in my life.

Last edited by Cavernio; 02-7-2012 at 11:11 AM..
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

Death raises anxiety with me, because I can't really fathom having my consciousness cease. Knowing that there will be absolutely no more to anything on this planet will make me very much miss living. Thinking about death makes me cherish life that much more-- I don't necessarily worry about it, but it motivates the direction of my life.

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I live with death by using it as a motivating force in every decision I make, and I really do make it an active component in my decision process. I'm not sure if you could call it fear, exactly, but rather I look at death as an exit point. Up until that exit point, my goal is to have as much fun as I can.

I only fear death insofar as I don't want my exit point to be painful, and I don't want it to be resultant of something stupidly avoidable (like not looking both ways when crossing the street or something).
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
ScylaX
urararararararara
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to ScylaX Send a message via Skype™ to ScylaX

I'd advice one and only one philosopher for that topic : Emil Cioran.
I'll post my own opinion later, but that guy wrote magnificent books on the topic and they're not even "true" essays (they're basically aphorisms on the subject).
Old 02-7-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
cry4eternity
~ added for cuteness
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to cry4eternity

It's the same reason you make your bed, clean your room, eat lunch, pay your bills, wash your clothes, etc. Why would you clean if it's just going to get dirty again? Why eat if a few hours later you'll be hungry again? Why live at all if you're just going to die someday?

The answer is for a brief period between the beginning and the end, there is something.

I may dare to say that it appears to be a recurring theme even in the bigger picture. Everything has a lifetime; everything is bound by this rule. The universe itself has a clear beginning and arguably a clear ending, and yet it exists without "short circuiting" its inevitable demise. This "living for the time between" is the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.

I'm retired
cry4eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2012, 02:23 PM   #11
Emithith
FFR Player

Death is my bud, I play video games with him erryday. Living with death is a blast
/CT Talk:
I just don't think about it.
Emithith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2012, 02:30 PM   #12
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

"How do you live with death?"

I try not to think about it. Thinking about it gets my stomach churning and makes me feel quite anxious, to be frank.

In the other thread, Rubix mentioned that death would be like sleeping or the experience before birth: nothing. However, it's the fact that one day you won't be able to do the things you've always done or accomplished that's unnerving. It's not the actual physical experience that worries me.

Last edited by bmah; 02-7-2012 at 02:43 PM..
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Yeah, death itself isn't scary unless it's painful. But it is sad to think that the things I love and enjoy in my life are temporary. It saddens me that I won't see where science and technology will take us. I want to know what happens in the future and how things turn out. There are so many awesome things about the future that I will be completely unaware of and will never know. That thought depresses me immensely.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
ScylaX
urararararararara
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to ScylaX Send a message via Skype™ to ScylaX

The main thing you have to cope with when it comes to dying is facing the end of your all capacity, all possibility, all power.
Old 02-7-2012, 02:54 PM   #15
Jake Ferguson
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Jake Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
Death raises anxiety with me, because I can't really fathom having my consciousness cease.
This is exactly how I feel about it. I have panic attacks whenever I think about my own mortality, because I'm an athiest and don't believe in any afterlife, just nothingness. Because of this, people may think it's easier to just kill themselves right now so they won't have to deal with it later, but is it really that easy to do when you are afraid of death? I've thought about it once or twice in my life, trying to find an easy way out, but the truth is life is too important to me right now than facing one of my greatest fears as an easy way out. Whenever someone I know dies, I feel the most grief not because I will miss them, but because it proves that one day I will eventually die too. And all I know is that when that day comes, I will go kicking and screaming.

Jake Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2012, 07:52 PM   #16
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

If people continued with the "life is worthless" attitude, I probably wouldn't even be here.

Quote:
about how we should see our ends
It's inevitable, which is more than enough justification to value the importance of life in general - you and others.

Quote:
and what kind of morals we should give to it
Not repeating things like Khmer Rouge. Life itself is actually priceless when you think about it; objectively, money doesn't matter if you're dead. This is why their slogan "To spare you is no profit, to destroy you is no loss" is especially scary since it basically views life as cheap.

What concerns me more about death is how it happens. If it's from something like genocide, that is what absolutely pisses me off. Old age, that is how it should be.

Last edited by DossarLX ODI; 02-8-2012 at 07:58 PM..
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
shadow 1800
I can't think of anything
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to shadow 1800

If we were all immortal and had no children then life would be just as, (or if not more) depressing. You live for your children; they carry on your name and your memory. Of course you can choose not to have any children and die a lonely old man or woman with nobody left in the world to care about them. I almost guarantee anyone on their death bed would regret not having children at some point, as I know I would. The purpose of life is to see the next generation is healthy and to pass the wisdom you learned from your parents along with your experiences so they don't make the same mistakes. It is an endless cycle. Anything beyond this such as the afterlife is left for the person themselves to decide, and with death so close many seem to choose to believe in it.
Old 02-8-2012, 08:21 PM   #18
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

To me it would be much more interesting to see how the future turns out (going to your statement about immortality). You'd get to see how other generations change in ideas or methods of living with the death of the older generations.
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
Emithith
FFR Player

To make a fair post unlike the one I had above me, I don't think about death because it will come eventually, and I will cross that bridge when I get to it. It's better to think about the current moment and enjoy it, rather than worry about something that could happen tomorrow, or in 50 years. I don't fear the pain of death, if anything it's the mystery in it. What happens?

But as I said before, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Emithith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-9-2012, 12:42 AM   #20
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I'm not particularly worried about death, because I'll be dead when it happens.

Live life in the present.

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote