Old 07-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
Cursebred
FFR Player

Default [High School - English] The Full and Final Thesis

You have your thesis statement, and your full thesis statement. This was in a novel assigned to us over the summer by our English teachers for entering high school. The novel is called "The Lively Art of Writing" by Lucile Vaughn Paine. Now, how is the full thesis supposed to be written if you already have your argument written down which states the general point you stand on. Do you have to cut down your cutting down?
It makes no sense to me.
Cursebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:03 AM   #2
rzr
TWG Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rzr Send a message via MSN to rzr Send a message via Yahoo to rzr Send a message via Skype™ to rzr
Default Re: [High School - English] The Full and Final Thesis

I may be a little unclear on what you're asking, but I'll try and help, anyway.

When you're writing your thesis you want to keep it short and to the point. Do a pre-summary of what you'll be writing about. It's ok to break it down, meaning, if you want to break your thesis up into sections of the sections you'll be writing it's ok.

For example, when I write an essay the format looks like this:

I Thesis:
- Why I'm writing the essay.
- Point A.
- Point B.
- Point C.
- Quick summary of thesis.

II Body paragraph 1:
- Summary of paragraph.
- Detail.
- Detail.
- Detail.

III Conclusion:
- paraphrase thesis.
- summarize essay.

I hope that helps, if not just be a little more clear on what you're asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
Everyone sucks at this game. The second you think you're good is the second you stop trying to get better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
i had a mri the other day it was the best song i heard in years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite-
More of a joke than the time I deleted all the credits on the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
yeah my goldfish think im a riot they do this thing where they turn upside down and float to the top of the tank

i guess their alcohol tolerance isnt as high as mine
rzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: [High School - English] The Full and Final Thesis

Quote:
You have your thesis statement, and your full thesis statement.
Functionally, your thesis statement is the simple and straightforward explanation of what position your paper takes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesis Statement
"The publication of the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin had a profound effect on the religious, social, and political landscape of England"
Your "Full" Thesis statement is a more elaborate statement of not only your position, but the means you intend to use to carry out proving your position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full thesis statement
This essay will assess and analyze the response by the Victorian public at large to the publishing of Darwin’s Origin of Species. It will begin by providing a brief overview of the Origin, its inspiration and basic content. Then the sections dealing with the response shall be divided up into three subsections: The response of the general public, the response of the scientific community, and the response of the religious community. Finally, this essay will endeavour to address the long-term effects of the Origin.
And then both of those will combine and evolve into what ends up being the introduction to your paper:

Quote:
Originally Posted by introduction
In the course of scientific history, many theories, works and ideas have been revolutionary, turning the world in its head and causing people to re-evaluate the very fabric of their beliefs. In few cases can this be seen more so than the publication of Charles Darwin’s work: On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life. This work, the result of years of information gathering, compiling and synthesis has had such a large effect on the world that the controversy and repercussions are still felt today. But even though the long-term effects of The Origin still pervade scientific as well as religious discussion, at no time was the reception of this work more dramatic than in 1860s Britain when it was published. This paper shall attempt to describe the reactions of the scientific and religious communities of England at the time of publication, but shall also endeavour to elucidate the reactions of the common population at large as well. Through an analysis of these reactions, one hopes to gain a better understanding of the society and beliefs of the era, and to see why the effects of those reactions still ripple today.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote