Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #1661
phe0nixblade
Praise the sun mofo
FFR Veteran

Default Re: The Fitness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senip View Post
speaking of weed: smoked a little before gym, crazy pumps and felt everything working the way I wanted it to. Will do again.
qft because man my lifts when i smoke a blunt before hand are just more on point and i feel less fatigued after working out than i normally would
Old 06-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #1662
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love you View Post
@WV: That should be fine. I would say that drinking 3 gallons or more is pushing it during non-workout days. On workout days, you could get away with it since you are burning more Calories and losing water during the process.
yeah, makes sense.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #1663
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
I completely recognize the fact that some MMA fighters are likely completely clean. Again, it's not like PEDs create talent or skill.

None of those guys have taken wet AAS compounds, which is probably what you associated with steroid usage.

HOWEVER, to be fair here, there are many types of PEDs and lot of these guys could be using the following and you would never ever know:

- hGH at a fairly low dose. The low dose is to avoid gaining water weight (or even excessive muscle weight) which would slow them down. It is mostly used to enhance recovery, allow them to tolerate more volume of work and MOSTLY for tendon strethening/repair. Fighters are like F1 racing cars: high performance but break VERY easily. A common approach is 4-6IU EOD.

- Insulin (mostly humalog or novolog). This is to facilitate recovery by enhancing glycogen resynthesis following training. It isn't used all the time; mostly after the most grueling training days (e.g. a day where they would have both high volume track work and strength training). Peptides are legal and anyone can get this shit at a pharmacy no questions asked. Very hard to detect on a piss test. Ez money.

- EPO. The role of EPO for improving endurance is well known. For that reason it is mostly associated with endurance athletes and it is often assumed that it doesn't give anything to the power/strength athlete. That is not true. EPO allows one to tolerate a greater overall volume of work and increases the rate of recovery. In performance athletics, drugs are mostly used to allow the athlete to train more often and with more volume.

EPO is also really fucking easy to get. I have some in my fridge and I've never taken any illegal drugs. I don't take it, but I'm just saying. XD

- Testosterone. Some synthetic steroids might be used far away from competition (if the athlete doesn't live in a country that conducts random testing) but testosterone is the most comonly used AAS to improve strength and power. It is much easier to pass the drug tests when using testosterone, especially since some natural compounds can decrease the testo/Epitesto ratio that is used to test for testostetone use. A lot of athletes can get away with 50mg of testosterone propionate or suspension every 3 days without testing positive... some races can even use much higher doses of testosterone than that because they lack the enzyme UGT2B17 which increases testosterone excretion in the urine. Approximately 60% of Asians have very low levels of this enzyme. More than 50% of the individuals having low levels of enzymes can take 300-400mg of testosterone per week and not test positive.

And doping tests are super easy to beat.

Many countries/federation do ''home tests'' for their athletes. So they know EXACTLY when they need to stop using XYZ substance and which one they can keep taking without testing positive. Each physiology is different so this gives top athletes (as it is very expensive) the insurance of being able to use without risking testing positive.

A lot of the people who design drug tests are hired by some countries/federation to explain how to beat the tests.

A urine test needs to know the exact chemical structure that they are testing for. It can either be a drug itself or it's metabolites. Any decent chemist can make slight modification to the structure of a drug to make it undetectable (e.g. the clear).
Plus, there's stuff like anavar and other things, where it's so mild that it just...won't show up, but it's still an edge.
Senip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #1664
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I completely recognize the fact that some MMA fighters are likely completely clean. Again, it's not like PEDs create talent or skill.

None of those guys have taken wet AAS compounds, which is probably what you associated with steroid usage.

HOWEVER, to be fair here, there are many types of PEDs and lot of these guys could be using the following and you would never ever know:

- hGH at a fairly low dose. The low dose is to avoid gaining water weight (or even excessive muscle weight) which would slow them down. It is mostly used to enhance recovery, allow them to tolerate more volume of work and MOSTLY for tendon strethening/repair. Fighters are like F1 racing cars: high performance but break VERY easily. A common approach is 4-6IU EOD.

- Insulin (mostly humalog or novolog). This is to facilitate recovery by enhancing glycogen resynthesis following training. It isn't used all the time; mostly after the most grueling training days (e.g. a day where they would have both high volume track work and strength training). Peptides are legal and anyone can get this shit at a pharmacy no questions asked. Very hard to detect on a piss test. Ez money.

- EPO. The role of EPO for improving endurance is well known. For that reason it is mostly associated with endurance athletes and it is often assumed that it doesn't give anything to the power/strength athlete. That is not true. EPO allows one to tolerate a greater overall volume of work and increases the rate of recovery. In performance athletics, drugs are mostly used to allow the athlete to train more often and with more volume.

EPO is also really fucking easy to get. I have some in my fridge and I've never taken any illegal drugs. I don't take it, but I'm just saying. XD

- Testosterone. Some synthetic steroids might be used far away from competition (if the athlete doesn't live in a country that conducts random testing) but testosterone is the most comonly used AAS to improve strength and power. It is much easier to pass the drug tests when using testosterone, especially since some natural compounds can decrease the testo/Epitesto ratio that is used to test for testostetone use. A lot of athletes can get away with 50mg of testosterone propionate or suspension every 3 days without testing positive... some races can even use much higher doses of testosterone than that because they lack the enzyme UGT2B17 which increases testosterone excretion in the urine. Approximately 60% of Asians have very low levels of this enzyme. More than 50% of the individuals having low levels of enzymes can take 300-400mg of testosterone per week and not test positive.

And doping tests are super easy to beat.

Many countries/federation do ''home tests'' for their athletes. So they know EXACTLY when they need to stop using XYZ substance and which one they can keep taking without testing positive. Each physiology is different so this gives top athletes (as it is very expensive) the insurance of being able to use without risking testing positive.

A lot of the people who design drug tests are hired by some countries/federation to explain how to beat the tests.

A urine test needs to know the exact chemical structure that they are testing for. It can either be a drug itself or it's metabolites. Any decent chemist can make slight modification to the structure of a drug to make it undetectable (e.g. the clear).
God damn do you know your stuff. Yea I definitely wasn't talking about the PEDs you mentioned but I'm aware they exist as many of my friends take assorted PEDs that I never bother to research because I don't want to take them either. I really should expand my knowledge on both sides. There are still a decent amount of guys who probably take in PEDs other then AAS substances only when they really need it and are hurting. That seems like something Mike Dolce would do to all of his clients, the guy is an expert at nutrition and cutting weight but he often completely maps out the diet/supplementation of his fighters. I'm sure he wants what is best for his clients and would urge them to take certain substances if they needed them at the time in a convincing way so his job as a "nutritionist" seemed more efficient. Either way I would never be like"oh he only won because he was on something" I think every fight is even from the start, you both had plenty of time train and if you put so much confidence in drugs you might still not train as hard because you are just thinking about how you will perform better. If they train hard as their body lets them while ON these substances, their aggression, confidence, and lack of respect for their opponent often is their downfall in their fight. I mean if you can't push your body as hard because you're natural, you are most likely going to have as efficient technique and training as possible to avoid injury and fatigue. Like I said earlier sure you can have this mentality and be on something, but there is always something in a fight to counter what you will be facing, there is always a way to win. I mean there are so many elements to MMA and the drugs these athletes take are actually way less of a factor then any sport I am interested in. This is all I care about and why I have such passion for training, plus it's just fun as hell as long as you don't mind being hit, I mean you get used to it so it's really not as scary as people may think to the point where they need to be on something.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #1665
mnnicol
U mirin'?
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
This is actually a serious question since i know over hydration exists and i don't know what would be considered too much. online searches don't really yield any valuable results and i figured y'all would know
I generally go for 1.5 - 2 gallons, so you'll be fine.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #1666
Zaevod
FFR Player

I wasn't too sure whether I should post here or not... Anyway, this is me, before I had dengue nearly a month ago and lost 10 or so pounds:

21 years old, 5'8", 190 pounds at the time I took the picture. I'm still struggling to get those pounds back because the dengue affected my liver and I couldn't use my supplements for a month or so (let alone train for the first weeks).

Last edited by Zaevod; 06-30-2013 at 08:06 PM..
Zaevod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #1667
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

In what way did it mess with your liver?
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #1668
Zaevod
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
In what way did it mess with your liver?
It seems the liver is the main organ the dengue virus infects to reproduce itself, or something like that. My transaminases were sky-high in some of the exams (over 10 times the normal values), and the doctors said the supplements I take probably aggravated that case.

It's more detailed here: http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=...pt=sci_arttext

I think this was the worst infection I've had in my entire life. There were moments I was so dehydrated I nearly passed out, too.

Last edited by Zaevod; 06-30-2013 at 08:44 PM..
Zaevod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2013, 05:15 PM   #1669
Senip
Forum User

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/...ps05d61494.jpg

Did someone say pectorals? Bumped past the shit threads.
Old 07-5-2013, 09:18 PM   #1670
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senip View Post
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/...ps05d61494.jpg

Did someone say pectorals? Bumped past the shit threads.
Quads of peace
Old 07-5-2013, 11:48 PM   #1671
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

what a hypnotizing nipple
Old 07-6-2013, 04:46 PM   #1672
Senip
Forum User

I get that often. But I'm not as bad as Antoine Vaillant! http://25.media.tumblr.com/76c695e3f...kxsio1_500.jpg
Old 07-6-2013, 11:24 PM   #1673
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RpZ...e_gdata_player

Someone explain how this is possible
Old 07-7-2013, 12:33 AM   #1674
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RpZ...e_gdata_player

Someone explain how this is possible
Strong dude. His form is treating it more like a lower back exercise than a leg exercise though. Regardless, 500lbs is nothing to be ashamed of. He's actually not that large either, muscularly speaking. He has some good potential to be a great powerlifter.
Old 07-7-2013, 12:49 AM   #1675
DarkAngelKanna
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Location: In a box, my igloo melted last year thanks to global warming.
Send a message via Skype™ to DarkAngelKanna

I love how at least 3 of you are talking about smoking up before workouts. This actually helps! I thought I was the only one (and slightly crazy for being a productive stoner) But I would get baked, throw on an Album and go at 'er. I work out at home. Which leads me to my questions.

Right now I'm sitting at 140lbs on a good day, and I'm 5'4''. I've not weighed myself in the last 2 weeks because I have been through some hella stress and I have likely gained weight.

I have a bad back. What are some leg exercises I could do to help tone my thighs? And how can I work out my arms with these rubber bands I've got without straining my back? I can't do weights right now. I don't want to lose a lot of weight -- Just want to tone my belly and legs, and build muscle in my upper body.
Old 07-7-2013, 01:15 AM   #1676
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngelKanna View Post
I love how at least 3 of you are talking about smoking up before workouts. This actually helps!
Subjective. I'm perfectly content with taking nothing pre-workout. Whatever helps each individual work to their full potential, all the power to them.

Quote:
I have a bad back. What are some leg exercises I could do to help tone my thighs? And how can I work out my arms with these rubber bands I've got without straining my back? I can't do weights right now. I don't want to lose a lot of weight -- Just want to tone my belly and legs, and build muscle in my upper body.
Well, I'll let you know right now that it's physiologically impossible to build muscle while on a caloric deficit, so I'd say try losing a set amount of weight first. You'll almost definitely have a toned stomach after just losing weight, but the legs will take work.

For building muscle I think I can help you out, considering I'm in your situation with the back problems. With your back problems, you won't be able to backsquat, but you will be able to front squat, and that is incredibly important if you want nice legs. Besides that, you can do weighted lunges, step ups, etc.

For ab work, what I recommend to everyone is Ab-Ripper X from P90x. You can do it in the privacy of your home, and it's fucking brutal.

For arms, use those bands to do tricep push-downs, bicep curls, face pulls, lateral raises, etc. For the lateral raises and bicep curls, you should just be able to put the band under your feet and then just do the exercise as you would with a barbell/dumbbells. For the tricep push-downs and face pulls, just look for something at the gym to put the band around to make it work. Realistically though, even with your back, there should be no reason you can't use dumbbells or cables.
Old 07-7-2013, 12:25 PM   #1677
DarkAngelKanna
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Location: In a box, my igloo melted last year thanks to global warming.
Send a message via Skype™ to DarkAngelKanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWolf View Post
Subjective. I'm perfectly content with taking nothing pre-workout. Whatever helps each individual work to their full potential, all the power to them.

Well, I'll let you know right now that it's physiologically impossible to build muscle while on a caloric deficit, so I'd say try losing a set amount of weight first. You'll almost definitely have a toned stomach after just losing weight, but the legs will take work.

For building muscle I think I can help you out, considering I'm in your situation with the back problems. With your back problems, you won't be able to backsquat, but you will be able to front squat, and that is incredibly important if you want nice legs. Besides that, you can do weighted lunges, step ups, etc.

For ab work, what I recommend to everyone is Ab-Ripper X from P90x. You can do it in the privacy of your home, and it's fucking brutal.

For arms, use those bands to do tricep push-downs, bicep curls, face pulls, lateral raises, etc. For the lateral raises and bicep curls, you should just be able to put the band under your feet and then just do the exercise as you would with a barbell/dumbbells. For the tricep push-downs and face pulls, just look for something at the gym to put the band around to make it work. Realistically though, even with your back, there should be no reason you can't use dumbbells or cables.
My current living accommodations don't allow me time/ability to go to the gym. So I have to stick with home workouts. I don't really want abs, just the ability to firm the loose skin and excess fat (not a lot of it) on my stomach. Thank you for the advice. I'm not even certain what a good weight for my size would be. I would guess anywhere between 125-130? So maybe lose 15 lbs?

How long should I work out for? Currently I just try and go for 30-40 minutes for 3-4 days and take a break on an off day. I was losing weight but because of getting evacuated from my home due to flooding and preparing to move, the only calories I'm burning are at work and while I'm packing. Should I drop the time but do more intensity?
Old 07-7-2013, 02:43 PM   #1678
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
My current living accommodations don't allow me time/ability to go to the gym. So I have to stick with home workouts. I don't really want abs, just the ability to firm the loose skin and excess fat (not a lot of it) on my stomach. Thank you for the advice. I'm not even certain what a good weight for my size would be. I would guess anywhere between 125-130? So maybe lose 15 lbs?

How long should I work out for? Currently I just try and go for 30-40 minutes for 3-4 days and take a break on an off day. I was losing weight but because of getting evacuated from my home due to flooding and preparing to move, the only calories I'm burning are at work and while I'm packing. Should I drop the time but do more intensity?
The loose skin on your stomach is fat, so in order to firm it up you've got to lose it while maintaining those tummy muscles.

A good weight for your frame is impossible to know without seeing what you look like, but you could certainly start with a goal of losing 15 lbs.

I would just make sure you're focusing a lot of your workout time to resistance training, either by using weights or by doing bodyweight exercises. If you want to 'tone' your tummy you do not want to do exclusively cardio. The precise amount of time you spend working out though doesn't really matter; however long you feel you need to workout to get a good workout and lose weight is what you should be doing, and that's going to vary depending on your body type etc.

30-60 minutes is usually a good workout time though.
Old 07-8-2013, 10:15 PM   #1679
mnnicol
U mirin'?
FFR Veteran

Rob Riches failed a drug test..........I know I shouldn't be surprised, but FML....
Old 07-8-2013, 11:28 PM   #1680
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnicol View Post
Rob Riches failed a drug test..........I know I shouldn't be surprised, but FML....
lol, its funny when the natural gurus get caught.