Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games

Old 06-12-2019, 05:33 PM   #1
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar
Default I'm losing my hype fr FF7Remake. I made a quick video about it cuz that's what I do

Did this in a crunch, if something is unclear or you just want to debate this come at me I'll be at work and bored for most the night probably

Yes I am saying posting her at work is easier then editing rant videos at work

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #2
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: I'm losing my hype fr FF7Remake. I made a quick video about it cuz that's what I

the bar scene kinda isn't great to begin with tho
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #3
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Send a message via Skype™ to DaBackpack
Default Re: I'm losing my hype fr FF7Remake. I made a quick video about it cuz that's what I

It kinda feels like they're whitewashing a lot of the charm of the original game. And the battle system... fuck the stagger system, don't they have any new ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
no one cares
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Dan Hedgehog View Post
there are 743 matches for hedgehog suicide on deviantart
that's kind of a sad statistic
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:35 PM   #4
inDheart
Picker @ JAX2
FFR Simfile Author

i bet cyberconnect2 had new ideas

colon upside underscore down colon

seems weird to hard target a market that isn't necessarily a superset of the original fans, but maybe if it's ff7 you're just most worried about the demo that likes big baps
inDheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:17 PM   #5
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
It kinda feels like they're whitewashing a lot of the charm of the original game
Must admit, Midgar looking hella shiny for something that's suppose to be a a filthy steampunk slum.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:42 AM   #6
Izzy
Snek

Is hype ever a good thing? It's almost a more than appropriate level of excitement for a thing by definition. In every situation it is probably better to temper your expectations and wait.

I'm just being pedantic though. Your criticism seems worthwhile to me.

Last edited by Izzy; 06-13-2019 at 12:02 PM..
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:14 PM   #7
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

I think there's something to keeping one's hype level in check, or having reasonable expectations to go along with it (like my expectations on Death Stranding probably being a pretentious preach fest, dispite being hyped for the weird)

I just didn't think expecting the same characters and story beats was an unrealistic expectation and the idea we won t get that is a bummer

Edit: 12 dislikes yo i got videos that don't even get that many views lmao

Last edited by MixMasterLar; 06-13-2019 at 12:18 PM..
Old 06-13-2019, 08:39 PM   #8
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Yeah, I watched the video and the characterization/tone is way off from the original game. You pretty much hit the nail on the head when you described it as "Advent Children characters reenacting the setpieces of the FF7." I don't remember Tifa being this reticent; she was all-out an ecoterrorist. Same with Barret. Aerith was goofy and flirty, not clingy and girly. Cloud wasn't moody and depressed at first, he was disinterested and aloof. This is pure flanderization.

I've said it once and I'll say it again.

Tetsuya Nomura is ruining Final Fantasy. All of this is his fault.

Quote:
no one cares
Quote:
Old 06-13-2019, 08:42 PM   #9
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Also, for the people in the back:

CLOUD IS NOT COOL. HE'S A DORK. FF7 somehow managed to subvert the "cool anime character" trope, but it's like Nomura missed the point entirely. He's a facsimile. A "puppet" as Sephiroth would say.

FF7 isn't even in my top 5 FF games but seeing this whitewashing is frustrating to say the least.

Also, I sure as hope fuck that Sephiroth scene wasn't the Nibelheim incident.

Quote:
no one cares
Quote:
Old 06-14-2019, 02:36 AM   #10
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post

Also, I sure as hope fuck that Sephiroth scene wasn't the Nibelheim incident.
It's almost worst that it isn't.

This entire release is set in Midgar, a place in the game that he really isn't shown in the spotlight. You kind of don't even get a sense of him until towards the end of the conflict where Jenova pulling a sneaky Sehpiroth kills President Shinra; most of the characters think he would obviously still be a hero while Cloud appears to know much more.

To have him basically appear in the spotlight (regardless of if it's in Cloud's head or not) acting all melodramatic and shit basically kills the flow of the story, and of introducing his character as the fallen hero.

I get that otherwise we basically don't get our main iconic villain until 2023 or whenever part 2 happens but to that I say BUT I'M NOT THE ONE WHO THINK S TWO BLUERAYS OF FUCKING MIDGAR----MAYBE POSSIBLY 1/2 OF THE PLOT OF DISC 1---- WAS THE BEST WAY TO REMAKE THE GAME, SQUARE.

You are right on point about Tetsuya Nomura not understanding the characters properly and missing the point. I would think Kitase would have tried and stepped in to help this not get out of hand bit alas

Last edited by MixMasterLar; 06-14-2019 at 02:38 AM..
Old 06-16-2019, 07:21 PM   #11
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

I have gotten several comments basically implying that what I want is a remaster and not a remake.

That's not what those terms mean tho.

What Square is giving us is a Reimagining and that's not what they said 3 years ago nor what I ask

Old 06-16-2019, 07:30 PM   #12
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
I have gotten several comments basically implying that what I want is a remaster and not a remake.

That's not what those terms mean tho.

What Square is giving us is a Reimagining and that's not what they said 3 years ago nor what I ask
just literally play it on a ps1 emu with graphics and shit maxed out
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:04 PM   #13
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
just literally play it on a ps1 emu with graphics and shit maxed out
revolutionary

no one has thought of this

it's pretty much like you missed the point
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:47 PM   #14
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Snark aside I gotta side with Xel here on this.

We got a Remaster of the game already on Switch and PS4

We could really spice it up with PC mods.

But I would like an updated/actually balance game to go with my FF7, since I do dig on the game's story, characters, themes etc. That's what a Remake is. See: The Resident Evil 2 remake. That's a perfect definition of a Remake.

What I see in this trailer is a Reimagining of the story, and that's not something I would have worried over for the last few years. Modern Square can't make as good of a story anymore so I have no desire to see them squander the one FF7 remake I'll see in my life trying to one up the only aspect they have no business changing.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #15
Izzy
Snek

Resident Evil 2 remake was beautiful. They didn't even attempt to explain or rework the aspects of the story or gameplay that made little sense because who cares. It is what it is, weird quirks and all.

I'm looking forward to Resident Evil 3 remake.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #16
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Resident Evil 2 remake was beautiful. They didn't even attempt to explain or rework the aspects of the story or gameplay that made little sense because who cares. It is what it is, weird quirks and all.

Word

If you're going to spice something up and make it modernized, don't change everything about it that made the game great to begin with.

...However, to give FF7's Remake or whatever's credit. It does look like a fun game even if it's a retconned version of the events that took place. I'm going to think of it as an alternate reality, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:50 PM   #17
Hateandhatred
"The Quebec Steparatist."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post

RE2 doesn't have tank controls, therefuck fuck that
Old 06-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #18
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hateandhatred View Post
RE2 doesn't have tank controls, therefuck fuck that
Now I may be the crazy one here so don't mind me, but wouldn't the point of a remake to be to make what was good about the original accessible to a newer generation while giving old fans an updated alternative?

In this regard Resident Evil 2 Remake changes what needed to be change and kept what needed to be kept.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE tank controls; I defend them in my Resi2 let's plays and I will be defending them again when my Dino Crisis review is done. It's a fun way to play a horror game and has merit and I will die before I concede the fact. That said, it's of it's time and a lot of people miss out on older games because they can't really play it. I can be all hardnose and say gitgud but honestly I can relate anytime I have to play a FPS with a dpad. Sometimes something belongs in it's era

But with that in mind, the characters, story, atmosphere, and the plot is the reason that game is remember and all have been preserved. I had hope the same would be true for Final Fantasy 7 but if my Youtube comments are correct then I'm just an old forgie that should keep playing the original :/

Old 06-18-2019, 11:17 AM   #19
Hateandhatred
"The Quebec Steparatist."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
Now I may be the crazy one here so don't mind me, but wouldn't the point of a remake to be to make what was good about the original accessible to a newer generation while giving old fans an updated alternative?

In this regard Resident Evil 2 Remake changes what needed to be change and kept what needed to be kept.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE tank controls; I defend them in my Resi2 let's plays and I will be defending them again when my Dino Crisis review is done. It's a fun way to play a horror game and has merit and I will die before I concede the fact. That said, it's of it's time and a lot of people miss out on older games because they can't really play it. I can be all hardnose and say gitgud but honestly I can relate anytime I have to play a FPS with a dpad. Sometimes something belongs in it's era

But with that in mind, the characters, story, atmosphere, and the plot is the reason that game is remember and all have been preserved. I had hope the same would be true for Final Fantasy 7 but if my Youtube comments are correct then I'm just an old forgie that should keep playing the original :/
I was trolling lol, they made a fine game.

If anything they should have added tank controls as an option. Maybe some wacky post game options like what Uncharted 4 had.

That being said, I'm not sure I agree with a few things you said, but I respect your opinions for what they are. Where we would diverge is mostly a question of personal ideologies regarding gaming
Old 06-18-2019, 11:46 AM   #20
Izzy
Snek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hateandhatred View Post
If anything they should have added tank controls as an option. Maybe some wacky post game options like what Uncharted 4 had.
I've seen some fan made mods that creates the fixed camera positions that match the original game. I'm unsure if that means the controls depend on the camera position or if the controls are the same as without the mod.