Old 03-6-2018, 03:30 AM   #2461
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Is there a compelling reason to even -have- secret and purchased songs? Like, do you think the game would be worse if we just made every song always available? Or tied the currently secret/purchased genres into a bunch of new kinds of skill token?
Unlockables like that do add precious grind value to the game to keep people playing, but that wears off pretty quickly when you put it against the 1500+ completely free and public files in game.

Last edited by rushyrulz; 03-6-2018 at 03:31 AM..
rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2018, 03:49 AM   #2462
Adalicia
FFR Player

Quote:
Is there a compelling reason to even -have- secret and purchased songs? Like, do you think the game would be worse if we just made every song always available? Or tied the currently secret/purchased genres into a bunch of new kinds of skill token?

The virtual currency doesn't need to be viable. The volume of credits floating around is so high that anybody who wants to have all the purchased and secret songs just can. Having credits from the shop go to the person who made the stepfile also involves the wildly larger task of "Completely redoing the entire credit system to make it so there's anything to actually bother doing with it to make getting it at all desirable"

Have suggestions for that as well?
-Yes.
-No, didn't you write the "Logical Fallacy and You!" topic? lovely.
-The third question is an interesting proposal, actually.
-And finally: plenty of them. Though I'll save my advice. The game is good enough and people know what they're doing. I'll leave em to it.

Last edited by Adalicia; 03-6-2018 at 03:49 AM.. Reason: pce
Adalicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2018, 10:15 AM   #2463
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
Unlockables like that do add precious grind value to the game to keep people playing, but that wears off pretty quickly when you put it against the 1500+ completely free and public files in game.
Somehow automate and merge the TCG into the game itself and people can buy packs

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2018, 01:17 PM   #2464
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

once you become smart enough/invested enough in the game, you could just make your own custom engine, and put your custom files on it.

heck, you could even befriend some steppers, and get them to send you their files (I have chaoz japan v2 for some reason in SM, the credit shop file).

I think the best thing for credits would be to just wipe everyones credits (ommggg people will cry, the same people who probably say credits are worthless tho???) and then add things to buy with them that people would actually want, e.g. custom username color on ffr forums, custom user title color, custom name colour in the FFR multiplayer lobby etc.

I remember waaaay back in the day, you could support FFR and you could use the new engine which had stuff like mirror etc (I remember I used to flip my monitor upside down, play upscroll, and reverse my keybinds cause i was too cheap to buy it lul).. Perhaps there could be a way to like, buy "supporter" with credits, i dunno mang, osu has supporter and it just has small features like being able to download files ingame, custom colored name in chat etc.
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2018, 03:35 PM   #2465
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adalicia View Post
-Yes.
-No, didn't you write the "Logical Fallacy and You!" topic? lovely.
-The third question is an interesting proposal, actually.
-And finally: plenty of them. Though I'll save my advice. The game is good enough and people know what they're doing. I'll leave em to it.
So yes there's a compelling reason to keep them, but no the game wouldn't be worse if they were taken out? And if you have a bunch of suggestions, saying you're going to not make them, in the suggestions forum, at the request of site staff asking you to make suggestions, is sort of confusing to me.

Quote:
It's Ignoratio elenchi. Cause if that was supposed to be arguing (which I'm sure you're normally quite good at) then maybe cut the modus ponen/tollen bullshit and people won't be dissuaded from wasting their time long enough to explain their perspective. especially the ones who are only trying to validate whatever reasoning is behind the decision to retain some outdated incentivising ploy whose only intention is site growth. My intention is the benefit of this site and the community, what's yours?
Have you considered that my questions were actually entirely genuine and asked entirely genuinely and not as a rhetorical ploy? Like...it's not a red herring to ask if you think the game would be worse with no purchased/secret songs in a thread about how to make the purchased genre more relevant. I think one of the perfectly valid opinions to have about "What to do about credits/purchased genre" is "Get rid of it"

Asking you for where you stand on the general subject helps address ideas about the specific suggestion you made. If you think that credits might be something that could just be removed, then there's more to talk about in terms of "finding ways to reward step artists" when we've established that you aren't mandatorily marrying the idea to the credits/shop system. It also establishes whether what you're doing is primarily searching for ways to incentivize step artists to step, or whether you are primarily searching for ways to make credits relevant or the shop relevant or what.

My intention is always the benefit of the site and community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry
I think the best thing for credits would be to just wipe everyones credits (ommggg people will cry, the same people who probably say credits are worthless tho???) and then add things to buy with them that people would actually want, e.g. custom username color on ffr forums, custom user title color, custom name colour in the FFR multiplayer lobby etc.
If the benefits are intangible (like username colours etc) do you think it's necessary to wipe all current credits? Is it an issue if the people who've been playing for years can already just get whatever they want? I suppose we'd need to be careful about scaling the costs of things. We should see if we've got data on like...total credit count and how quickly credits enter into the game. We could probably mostly figure it out with daily gameplay data. Would you envision this stuff being like, for a week/month at a time, or the ability to just purchase the ability to customize it? Vets can edit usertitles, so would we also take that away? I'm all for finding ways to make credits relevant beyond "Spending 155,354 and also holding onto 150,000" but how much do you even think "wanting to get access to all the purchased/secret songs" is actually driving activity?

Last edited by devonin; 03-6-2018 at 04:11 PM..
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2018, 08:07 PM   #2466
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

I wish there was a "purchase all secret songs" option for 150,000. Then it would essentially "bank" those credits so you never have to worry about keeping 150,000 on you.

Old 03-6-2018, 09:06 PM   #2467
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaxRunner05 View Post
I wish there was a "purchase all secret songs" option for 150,000. Then it would essentially "bank" those credits so you never have to worry about keeping 150,000 on you.
If they individually "cost" what they needed to be unlocked it would be waaaaay more than 150k.
Old 03-6-2018, 09:33 PM   #2468
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
If they individually "cost" what they needed to be unlocked it would be waaaaay more than 150k.
Ok but he wasn't insinuating the files would need to be purchased individually by each chart's credit unlock count. He flat out suggested a one time payment of 150k, which is all that's needed to retain everything available there.

I don't see the point of this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2018, 11:10 PM   #2469
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

not a bad idea tbh

Old 03-6-2018, 11:15 PM   #2470
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

it's an implementation as a willpower button. I'd rather look at ways to make credits actually worth caring about. Having 150k and not spending it and having 150k and not spending it via pushing a button that makes it look like you have 150k less than you do are basically the same thing.

I'm more concerned with how we want to look at the current grind to fully unlock songs. It's a little over 300,000 credits to be able to play everything, where "everything" is an additional what, 177 songs out of 2,125?

And by the time you've gotten 300k credits from actual gameplay, a good chunk of the songs you've unlocked are like...play once for the AAA if you even care about AAAs and not just your skill level from top 15 songs.

That's why I keep trying to get at whether people's suggestions are specifically about wanting credits to mean something, or about general desires for game things, or about, since credits exist, feeling like steps need to be taken to justify their existence.

Like, RATO is publicly available but clearly signposted that it is really hard and not for casual playing, and it's been played by 26,644 people, over 200,000 times.

Conversely, ==Planet KARMA== which is the end goal of the Secret genre has been played by only 1,326 people and been played only 19,000 times. More individual people have played RATO than the total gameplays for all players combined on KARMA. And Karma is the older song by about 100 songs.

So to me it seems more pointful to evaluate how the system works at all from a core perspective of "Are purchased/Secret songs even DOING anything useful?"

Last edited by devonin; 03-6-2018 at 11:31 PM..
Old 03-7-2018, 03:28 AM   #2471
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

Yeah, credits are a bit of a novelty at this point-- just a number to try and grind up.

Pretty much every user-hosted tournament gets a prize pool of over a million because everybody has so much excess with nothing to spend it on. I just pissed away a million in the gambling hall the other day and don't even care.

Purchased and Secret songs could probably be released from behind their respective credit walls, but only if we come up with an inventive way to spend credits instead. I have proposed that username changes in the future, if that ever happens, would cost a large sum of credits beyond the first one which I think should be free or very cheap.

On the other side, logically, an in-game currency in a rhythm game should be used to unlock songs and other purposes don't really make sense. Noteskins, client customization, etc. could have been (and perhaps still can be, but bring on the outrage) another outlet for credits, but we already have those things for free now.

Another outlet I can think of is an official* FFR user-submitted file playlist where users may submit charts they stepped of songs that FFR has permission to use to an alternate FFR playlist that is not a part of any leaderboards, but also doesn't have a rigorous and strict judging process. Submitting files to this engine/playlist would require a simple verification by a moderator and a reasonable credit fee. But again, this is kind of already done with FFRMania.

*Available by default in the Engine Playlists menu

Last edited by rushyrulz; 03-7-2018 at 03:30 AM..
Old 03-7-2018, 03:27 PM   #2472
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

I still think we should somehow merge the TCG into the game as a credit dump, but I understand that's a long shot

Old 03-7-2018, 03:31 PM   #2473
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Hell, it could be a series of check boxes on the level rank page with a value sum at the bottom, but it would be harder to implement a way to make trades.

Old 03-7-2018, 03:44 PM   #2474
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

reuben tate designed a full database for it, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

Old 03-7-2018, 03:45 PM   #2475
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

can perhaps add things to actual game for credits using, yes.. no adding useless collecting..

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 03-7-2018 at 03:46 PM..
Old 03-7-2018, 03:47 PM   #2476
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

personally, i think ffr is too nice, force people to like, pay for supporter to use the advanced filters while searching for songs or something l0l, just lock important shit behind a paywall, fuk it

Pay 100k credits one time to unlock mirror

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 03-7-2018 at 03:47 PM..
Old 03-7-2018, 04:25 PM   #2477
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Paying credits to unlock mods like Tornado sounds cool
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2018, 06:06 PM   #2478
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

it could very well be like, pay credits to unlock noteskins and stuff, and you can preview them in the shop etc, i dunno.. theres alot of ingame things that can be done with credits but the unfortunate thing is, at this point if you tried to implement them, it'd be like "taking away" things
Old 03-14-2018, 11:03 AM   #2479
manganok
FFR Player

One suggestion: Save global offset by song. I'm sorry but some good song are terribly sync and some are great. If I'm playing "Euthanasia" in need to set like 0 or even -1 and if I'm playing "Badinerie" I need to be at 2 or even 3. That make no sense to a rythm based game to have offset arrows from songs to songs...
manganok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #2480
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganok View Post
One suggestion: Save global offset by song. I'm sorry but some good song are terribly sync and some are great. If I'm playing "Euthanasia" in need to set like 0 or even -1 and if I'm playing "Badinerie" I need to be at 2 or even 3. That make no sense to a rythm based game to have offset arrows from songs to songs...
I use the AIR engine and have no offset issues whatsoever. It isnt the game, its your computer.