Old 03-4-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean
Default the batman gamz

I hear they just announced the next game in the "Arkham" series. "Arkham Knight"? Ok. It's developed by the folks who did Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, so that's cool. I guess there's a trailer out there, but I haven't seen it yet. You can probably find it on youtube easily enough if you care.

I still haven't played Arkham Origins yet. Is this bad? I was hoping for a "game of the year" edition to come out, but I haven't heard anything about that yet.
Old 03-5-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: the batman gamz

Arkham City for Wii U is actually pretty sweet. using touchscreen, gyroscope controls, etc. for the gadgets works nicely and feels high-tech-y which is the point.

that is the extent of my input on this topic
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Arkham Origins is alright. Not great by any means. It defintely doesn't deserve a game of the year edition. The first DLC isn't even out yet though.

Arkham Knight sounds pretty cool. The trailer was good. PS4, Xbox One and PC only though, which I'm happy about.
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison- View Post
Arkham Origins is alright. Not great by any means. It defintely doesn't deserve a game of the year edition. The first DLC isn't even out yet though.
That can't be right. Arkham City LAUNCHED with a bunch of DLC, not even counting the Catwoman missions that were kind of not even DLC at all. There were plenty of skins and challenge maps though, and I'm quite sure that I've already seen at least a few different skins available for Arkham Origins (the Adam West one, for sure).

Quote:
Arkham Knight sounds pretty cool. The trailer was good. PS4, Xbox One and PC only though, which I'm happy about.
This is a strange thing to be happy about. "Hah! Yes, those folks who haven't spent 400+ on a new console won't be able to play this!"
Old 03-5-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

it's a perfectly reasonable thing to be happy about
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

??? how so
Old 03-5-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
choof
Banned

if they made a version for ps3/xbox 360, they'd have to take into consideration the hardware capabilities

either they would need to make the game run well on last-gen consoles, which would make the current gen games underperform, or they would make the game for current gen and last-gen would get a badly-optimized port
Old 03-5-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

lol I just realized that and was about to edit. ninja'd hnggg

gotta feel for Wii U owners though.
Old 03-5-2014, 02:02 PM   #9
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
if they made a version for ps3/xbox 360, they'd have to take into consideration the hardware capabilities

either they would need to make the game run well on last-gen consoles, which would make the current gen games underperform, or they would make the game for current gen and last-gen would get a badly-optimized port
By this logic, I'm mad that they'll be making the game for Xbox and Playstation at all. They're gimping it by limiting it to those console's specs! PC MASTER RACE. PC MASTER RACE. PC MASTER RACE.

They could easily design the game to their peak limitations, whatever they may be, and then simplify and cut back things that can't be done on lower powered systems. Use lower resolution texture maps, less polygons in models, fewer enemies, simplified maps/missions, etc. And they could do this easily by farming out the "past gen" versions of the game to another studio, like, say, the one that just handled Arkham Origins.
Old 03-5-2014, 02:05 PM   #10
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

I've seen some baaaad last-gen ports though man. they could do that, but it can tarnish the branding of a game when there are technically poor versions of it being spread around. just a marketing thing I think. like I don't care myself if other people are playing bad ports, but it's not always a good business decision.
Old 03-5-2014, 02:36 PM   #11
choof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
By this logic, I'm mad that they'll be making the game for Xbox and Playstation at all. They're gimping it by limiting it to those console's specs! PC MASTER RACE. PC MASTER RACE. PC MASTER RACE.
I actually agree with you whole-heartedly.

Quote:
They could easily design the game to their peak limitations, whatever they may be, and then simplify and cut back things that can't be done on lower powered systems. Use lower resolution texture maps, less polygons in models, fewer enemies, simplified maps/missions, etc. And they could do this easily by farming out the "past gen" versions of the game to another studio, like, say, the one that just handled Arkham Origins.
So.... a badly optimized port?