Old 12-8-2018, 04:01 PM   #741
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Default Re: Recommend me some 2018 albums halp

I guess when you listened to that Daughters album you could say that you didnt get what you wanted
PixlSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2018, 04:43 PM   #742
dashoe93
Alphabet Crowd
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I'm just digging through random artists to see if they came out with something new this year so gloss these if you don't want to listen to them. They're in order from stuff I'd probably check out myself to stuff I care less about.

the world within - josh pan
Sinner's Syndrome - Moderator
Pandemonium - Slugabed
Weed Garden - Iron & Wine
Loma - Throwing Snow
Hill Climber - Vulfpeck
I can feel you creep into my private life - Tune-Yards

I don't know if anniversary editions count lmao but here's one
Parc Aventue 10th Anniversary Edition - Plants and Animals
dashoe93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2018, 12:27 AM   #743
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

just gonna recc some albums I dont see rated on your rym

Cornelius - Fantasma [Shibuya-kei]
The Veldt - Afrodisiac [Proto-shoegaze/Soul]
The Holydrug Couple - Moonlust [Psych-pop/Dream-pop]
Cap'n Jazz - Analphabetapolothology [Midwest emo]
The Dismemberment Plan - Change [Math rock/Indie Rock]
Starflyer 59 - The Fashion Focus [Shoegaze]
Disco Inferno - D.I. Go Pop [Post-rock/post-punk/sound collage/plunderphonics/noise pop]

Last edited by PixlSM; 12-9-2018 at 12:27 AM..
Old 12-9-2018, 01:31 PM   #744
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Day 487: The Ugly Art by Machine Girl (Album Choice: DeciBel1231)

These songs frequently hit the border between dope af and lame af. I hate to use such a tired term, but A Song Called Clive Barker has brief spurts of "HELL YEAH!" followed by just... cringe shit. Congratulations is a bit better at mixing the kitsch into the heavy energy, that's a better, if still flawed, track. On the other hand, songs like This Is Your Face On Dogs, Psycho Signal Jammer and Fuck Your Guns are fun bursts of pure energy, marred only by the shitty lo-fi production. The last track is also pretty great but had no reason to be over 10 minutes.

Compared to the last album I tried by this band, their 2017 release which I didn't review because it shit the bed with boring bullshit after a great opening track (which, IMO, beats every track on this album), I'm finding that a lot of the tracks I like are what I assume are meant to be instrumental transitions. Loop Version is gloriously Fuck Buttonsy, NWOFKA Skullboy is some fun tech house and Where Were You... Well, it's not great because the vocal samples are kinda stupid but it's an interesting piece of ambient that I can't see making anyone wince.

Outside of those, it's hit-or-miss, albeit a lot more engaging than that 2017 release. Maybe I like this one better because it doesn't have such a contrast between highs and lows, I dunno whatever.

Best Track: Loop Version
Rating: 7/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2018, 02:27 PM   #745
rayword45

Day 488: Love In The Time of Lexapro by Oneohtrix Point Never

I wasn't sure if I was gonna even try this one, but it just so turns out that I have exactly 20 minutes to spare so I'll give it at least one go around... and probably end up spinning it a couple more times ah well whatever.

The first minute or two of the album is the best part overall, but the back half is much more enjoyable to me than the first, which is surprising consider I'd usually hate a purely acoustic Sufjan-y jam (well a remix of that jam, but its changes are rather subtle lol) on an electronic album. But that's fine because there's not much filler or otherwise shitty shit to be found here, it's all pretty good.

This a pretty good EP.

Best Track: Thank God I'm A Country Girl (I wonder if this will be a controversial pick, it's the shortest song on the album and doesn't morph much, it just stays its skittery self)
Rating: 8/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.

Last edited by rayword45; 12-9-2018 at 02:30 PM..
Old 12-9-2018, 06:45 PM   #746
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
has brief spurts of "HELL YEAH!" followed by just... cringe shit.
You mean brief spurts of Death Grips followed by Mindless Self Indulgence?

Anyway since you look like you're going down the 2018 charts you should probably skip down to Mid-Air Thief, I swear it's worth your time and will probably lift your spirits up.
Crazyjayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2018, 07:38 PM   #747
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

the midair thief album is just watered down sweet trip

still decent though
Old 12-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #748
rayword45

Day 489: Selva oscura by William Basinski and Lawrence English (Album Choice: PixlSM)

Selva oscura wavers more throughout its duration than Mono no aware, and the former generally feels a bit more sinister, not that the first didn't have some darker sections.

I really dunno what else to say this time. I even checked reviews on other websites, something I OBVIOUSLY never do, and they're all a bunch of pretentious pseudo-intellectual babble! The words "dreamy" and "ethereal" were used a bunch but that applies to almost all of Basinski's music. As of this time, this one is decent but certainly not my favorite of Basinski's.

Best Track: Mono no aware
Rating: 6.5/10

Last edited by rayword45; 12-11-2018 at 09:12 PM..
Old 12-10-2018, 04:08 PM   #749
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixlSM View Post
the midair thief album is just watered down sweet trip
Sounds like you found out about Sweet Trip only recently. Apart from dream pop there's hardly a case there. Start comparing it to say Shugo Tokumaru, then your opinion might hold its own.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #750
dashoe93
Alphabet Crowd
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Oh my brother's band is on Spotify. Feel free.

The Last Temptation - Devil's Advocate
dashoe93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #751
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjayde View Post
Sounds like you found out about Sweet Trip only recently. Apart from dream pop there's hardly a case there. Start comparing it to say Shugo Tokumaru, then your opinion might hold its own.
I've known about sweet trip for a while
I think the comparison in aesthetic and general mix of dreampop with more electronic genres is sound
Old 12-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #752
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Alright, just making sure you realize it's a hella broad comparison, cause uh psych has kind of been a thing for a while in east asia.

Last edited by Crazyjayde; 12-10-2018 at 06:33 PM..
Old 12-11-2018, 07:38 PM   #753
rayword45

Day 490: Room 25 by Noname

This is, like, the opposite of every other hip-hop release I've reviewed this year, the closest being Some Rap Songs. But where Earl's release was depressed and lo-fi, this is significantly more lush and optimistic. And female.

I dunno how to review this in the context of a hip-hop album, but as a chillout album it's pretty damn great, and breezes by quickly enough, moving through pop, funk, The Internet-esque R&B and even a little bossa nova. Okay, the bossa nova track is the worst one here. The lyrical delivery is similarly understated but never boring, and her flows fit the beats very well.

Nothing else to say. Again, FUCK COLLEGE.

Best Track: Part Of Me (at first I thought Kendrick was on this track lol)

Old 12-11-2018, 08:44 PM   #754
rayword45

Day 491: Darlène by Hubert Lenoir (Album Choice: MarioNintendo)

When this first came on, for some reason Japanese music came to mind, especially Nintendo music (okay no pun intended seriously I didn't even realize who recommended this album until I finished this review), even though the vocals are blatantly French minus a few English songs.

The upbeat tracks are not to my liking, coming off as a bit too glammy and cheesy (seriously, why the fuck did they use generic horn sound on Ton hôtel? Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?), but the chiller lounge tracks like Recommencer, Darlène, darling and Wild and Free are pretty.

I dunno why I expected something like Gainsbourg, but I barely got it and I'm disappointed as a result. Not terrible but probably not gonna be on my year-end list unless subsequent relistens reveal something new to me.

Best Track: Excluding the slower tracks, Cent-treizième rue is quite fun
Rating: 5/10

Old 12-11-2018, 09:41 PM   #755
rayword45

Day 492: The World Within by Josh Pan (Album Choice: dashoe93)

Why does every fucking 2018 list have new Low and Arctic Monkeys albums on them? Are these bands really dropping shit that's good enough to justify their ranking on these lists, both in comparison to all the fresh artists and in comparison to their past work? I don't dare to find out.

Anyways, to this EP! This guy is part of 88rising, which I've never listened to but I know too many fuckin Asian chicks love. The first song sounds awfully AnCo-esque but a bit less cluttered. Actually, that basically describes the whole EP, with a bit more influence from modern EDM like Flume or something, and some old school house (The beat of Take Your Time sounds an awful lot like it was sampled from Short Circuit) and future funk like Skylar Spence.

Perfectly pleasant with no bad or grating tracks, but not phenomenal. Also some of these lyrics are dumb.

Best Track: Overdue
Rating: 6/10

Old 12-12-2018, 12:54 PM   #756
rayword45

Day 493: Whack World by Tierra Whack

Is this the year of the sub-30 minute hip-hop album? Of course it is that ain't even a question lol.

This album consists of 15 one-minute tracks. That combined with the title made me expect something akin to JPEGMAFIA, but where that felt like a deconstruction of soundcloud rap this feels more in line with other soundcloud rap, other than the shortness of the tracks. Certainly far less abrasive and experimental on the whole.

Most of these snippets are good and catchy minus a few actually awful tracks like the weirdly twangy Fuck Off, but therein lies the problem. The last album I remember listening to with the same gimmick was The Residents' Commercial Album, but there there felt like MORE of a reason for the gimmick, and trying the same "loop it 3 times" trick does nothing for me, not that that was the point. And comparing this to something like Some Rap Songs these tracks feel WAY less developed.

Enjoyable but underwhelming.

Best Track: Sore Loser
Rating: 5.5/10

Old 12-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #757
rayword45

Day 494: Safe in the Hands of Love by Yves Tumor

This second track kinda sounds like Tri Repetae-era Autechre.

Once again my expectations turned out to be mismatched. I expected something borderline Godspeed-esque, probably due to the artwork, but thankfully this isn't quite as bombastic minus a few tracks like the ending, instead shifting through dance-y shit and psychedelic pop. Hope in Suffering is goofy as fuck, why did he include that?

I wanted to write more but I've listened to this three times now and I should focus on studying.

Best Track: Honesty

Old 12-12-2018, 09:22 PM   #758
rayword45

Day 495: Hive Mind by The Internet

I still love Ego Death and Syd is easily the third best member of Odd Future by consistency (although Tyler could prove himself if he stays consistent). Steve Lacy is pretty cool too.

Nothing about this album is really that different from their last release, but based on what I've heard about their earliest work that's a good thing. The only downside is that nothing here is nearly as perfect a pop song as Curse still is.

Tyler don't fuck your career up.

Best Track: Come Over

Old 12-12-2018, 10:04 PM   #759
rayword45

Day 496: Be The Cowboy by Mitski

This was Pitchfork's number one album of the year. Does anyone still care about Pitchfork? Yeah, I thought not. Pretty sure that entire base either got old or started watching the melon instead.

The stretch from A Pearl to Pink In The Night is fucking great, like I'm actually impressed that there was not a single minute in there that I was bored. Even Lonesome Love, which is the kind of "I wanna be country now" track that I usually hate, is a burst of pleasure after the shaky first 30 seconds.

I really didn't come into this with high expectations, but I have no real reason for that other than contrarianism. Or maybe anti-Asian racism (Kero Kero Bonito can suck my dick). Regardless, this is a GREAT album. It lulls a bit at the beginning and at the end both, but that middle stretch is incredibly danceable and joyous. She really should avoid the spare piano dirges and just stick to the more lush, upbeat style the majority of this album covers. VERY surprised, this might end up on my end of year list.

Best Track: A Pearl

Last edited by rayword45; 12-12-2018 at 10:27 PM..
Old 12-13-2018, 12:25 AM   #760
rayword45

Day 497: Karma 2 by Dave East (Album Choice: Z.S)

Y'know, I've never listened to a Migos album in full, and this album is a good example why. It's literally one-third the length and I still felt totally drained by the end. Maybe because it's almost 2AM? IDK. Good lyrics, other than that this is a run-of-the-mill hit-or-miss trap project.

Best Track: man i'm fucking tired
Rating: 5/10