Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution: Community Forums > General Discussion > Critical Thinking

Old 12-5-2016, 01:29 PM   #21
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Multiplayer ModeratorEvent StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Humans: God's only mistake? Or the sign of no deity?

There are also theories out there of solpisism and that we're all in a computer simulation. The shit we dream up..

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2016, 06:10 AM   #22
Nullifidian
\_(ツ)_/
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

If you think the extinction of 99% of other species is something you can call "working well" then idk what to tell you. Disregarding the implications of "free will", it seems to me that if there is a deity as described, he's been experimenting on all species.

Last edited by Nullifidian; 12-6-2016 at 06:19 AM..
Nullifidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2016, 03:22 AM   #23
dabomb2223
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I'm in a philosophy 1000 class right now at university, and we've discussed both Solipsism and the idea that we're in a computer simulation while I've been here.

It's funny because my Professor argued for Solipsism, but I wrote a paper that weekend in response to a reading that we did and I argued that it's a logical impossibility to prove that a universe exists in which no minds exist.

All he had to say on the matter was "Wow, a logical impossibility is quite a bold statement." But, it isn't bold, it's just true.

It's impossible to prove that there's a universe in which no minds exist, because there's no way that a mind can perceive such a universe without simultaneously being within said universe.

And holy shit, I would love it so much if I found out that the only mind that really exists is my own and I'm just part of a massive computer simulation.
Old 12-7-2016, 07:27 PM   #24
M0nkeyz
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

You can't prove there is a god.

People can act the way they want, but they can't always be the way they want. What someone wants is also highly determined by their surroundings and environment. External factors play a big part in whether someone experiences free will. In other words we are largely conditioned to think the way we think and want the things we want.

I personally think Religion is a man-made concept to control the masses. I think it was needed at some point to control all the selfish masses of humans, but we have laws, schools and democracy for that now. I also think religion stopped and society moved on, effectively making religion useless for the majority of people.

Most religions are predeterministic by itself so the concept of free will can not exist within those religions.
M0nkeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2016, 11:06 PM   #25
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

I think Free Will can definitely exist inside the teachings of plenty of religions. It's really only contradicted by deities that are omniscient forward and backward in time (which is actually pretty few of them globally)

There are a number of philosophical proofs for the existence of at least some form of creative power beyond our understanding, though your mileage with those proofs may vary.

Religion is definitely a human-created construct, and most people even religious people will accept that religion is created by humans, though they may feel that the religion was brought up around the concept of and/or intervention of a God/Gods/etc.

There's certainly an argument that there's not really anything positive religion can do that secular humanism can't, outside of things like belief in miracles, or just some good old fashioned Pascal's Wager, but I've generally been of the opinion that if you are doing good, I really don't care why you are, whether it is because you believe it is right to do good, or you believe a God will punish you if you don't.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2016, 02:09 PM   #26
V-Ormix
scan and band
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I think consciousness is the grand testament of there being a creator - but at the end of the day, choose what you want to believe... with you're free will... but make no mistake, just as sure as this world abides by laws of its own as would another dimension to itself :v

edit: gods mistake? that we are alive? dangit god y u spoil mee save me the pain and pleasure... common u guys know u like life and will cling on to it till the last moment nice way to take tension off tho knowing this could all be a game pre eternal life phase 8u
In response to a complaint we received under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at LumenDatabase.org.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill View Post
what if you woke up and a random stranger stood beside your bed just to say good morning
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill View Post
you'd tell them to fuck off

Last edited by V-Ormix; 12-8-2016 at 02:15 PM..
V-Ormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2016, 07:40 PM   #27
dabomb2223
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Ormix View Post
I think consciousness is the grand testament of there being a creator
How so? Could consciousness not merely have come around through a grand series of events spanning 13 billion years? I'd like to hear your reasoning for consciousness being a testament of a creator.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:46 PM   #28
ScylaX
urararararararara
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to ScylaX Send a message via Skype™ to ScylaX

forms of *natural* organizations make lotsa room for speculations about the existence of an author and even though there are undiscutable refutations that bring down that kind of argument the fact remains

there are forms of organization precise enough to raise the question of an author..........

so even though you can admit a "grand series of events spanning 13 billion years" as vivid as that image can be, nothing really enforces you to assume that something should have happened in a span this big, and it also doesn't explain much about why anything that resemble life should have begun to form step by step, degree by degree, until it reaches some sort of sentience and consciousness. It doesn't amount to grant an explanation of necessities that would make the counterpart inconceivable or impossible.

you can always describe the "mechanical" details that lead a bunch of molecules into forming microbes and bacteria, but as to "why" some sort of scattered matter can form some rudiment of life (manifesting a behaviour whose a primal form of subjectivity emerges) in the right conditions, , it's a complete mystery. And this is not a mystery you can answer through any physical science, as you can only describe physical processes through them, but to handle what justifies their actual unfolding is a matter of metaphysical answer.

Last edited by ScylaX; 12-13-2016 at 02:54 PM..
ScylaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:53 AM   #29
Soundwave-
Carry your failures proud
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabomb2223 View Post
How so? Could consciousness not merely have come around through a grand series of events spanning 13 billion years? I'd like to hear your reasoning for consciousness being a testament of a creator.
Then answer would seem to lie here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Ormix View Post
with you're free will...
Which arguably is a rather incredible coincidence, that might be indicative of a greater motive...

If it weren't for the fact that free will isn't supported by anything but personal perception.
Originally Posted by [11:38 PM] Hakulyte
only person who can legit tilt me is like YoshL
Quote:
Originally Posted by スンファンさん
右に3回回らない限り間違います。
Soundwave- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:57 PM   #30
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave- View Post
Then answer would seem to lie here:

Which arguably is a rather incredible coincidence, that might be indicative of a greater motive...

If it weren't for the fact that free will isn't supported by anything but personal perception.
Personal perception is the support for literally everything. In fact, whoever 'you' define yourself as, is an entity who only perceives their own perceptions.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:52 PM   #31
Soundwave-
Carry your failures proud
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
Personal perception is the support for literally everything. In fact, whoever 'you' define yourself as, is an entity who only perceives their own perceptions.
Sure, but to then apply arguments to other people based on only your perception is a fallacy.
Originally Posted by [11:38 PM] Hakulyte
only person who can legit tilt me is like YoshL
Quote:
Originally Posted by スンファンさん
右に3回回らない限り間違います。
Soundwave- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #32
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Telling other people what to do is fallacious? I would never have guessed. /sarcasm

I don't want that to be taken snarkily.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote