Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #11
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2018 albums halp

Day 483: Tell Me How You Really Feel by Courtney Barnett

Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit was an album I loved immediately after hearing it, and it ranked as one of my favorite albums of 2015 at the time. Now? Well, it has some great songs on it for sure but the mood of the album is a bit... odd, like the album feels too smirky for its own good. I still enjoy it, mind you, but it's not the revelation I originally found it to be and I never bothered listening to her collab with Kurt Vile.

This album, while still having some of that same irony that basically defines Barnett's songwriting, comes across as a lot more somber and genuine, at least at first. This leads to arguably three of her greatest tracks ever at the opening of the album, with Hopefulessness standing out as particularly beautiful.

Sadly, after that first 3 track run the album never quite picks up the same steam it had, and worse songwriting makes the preciousness of the lyrics all too apparent. I used to like her raucous cuts the best, but the only track here that utilizes that mood (I'm Not Your Mother, I'm Not Your Bitch) is grating and easily the worst track on the album, the other tracks ranging from meh-to-good. The closer is nice, if not quite as good as the first few songs.

I may not be fawning over this album and it does have some flaws, but over it's still a worthwhile listen if on the strength of its opening alone and I still look forward to her future efforts.

Best Track: I already said it
Rating: 6.5/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote