Old 04-4-2018, 02:18 PM   #21
ShadoWolfe
FFR Player
 
ShadoWolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: On a life-size Flat Earth model
Posts: 136
Default Re: Geocaching???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
(unless people are the geocache, 'stuff' is your identity, then its a pretty awesome thing because you get to fill it with -whatever you want- )
On this, there's almost always a log or notebook you can sign. That first time in SF, I didn't know what geocaching was but the log made the point of it guessable. I didn't have anything to leave so I wrote my name down and took a keychain that said "Japan".

EDIT: ninja'd by goldenbutt
__________________





Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte
I followed the "by the book" play, but I was reading the "not to do" page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
" I'd suck a dick in a dark, dark alley."
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshL View Post
"i gave you 20 ducks, and spent a lot of time making one of them quack, and pointed at the particular one and asked "is that one the worst quacker"" ... "you could still give somewhat of an answer based on the quality of the quacks, and the other random quacks from the ducks surrounding that weren't the center of focus."
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellon_collie
"I love Wolfe's duck avi so much. Shado's Duck Shrine is the best!!

Last edited by ShadoWolfe; 04-4-2018 at 02:20 PM..
ShadoWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2018, 04:12 PM   #22
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator
 
mellonxcollie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Confirmed.
Age: 28
Posts: 1,491
Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie
Default Re: Geocaching???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
The strangest thing I found in a geocache is an unused, wrapped condom. Besides that, plenty of hot wheels cars, small figurines, dolls, a laser pointer or two (with still working batteries), old coins, etc. Most geocaches are always accompanied with a small notebook ledger and a pencil as well to record the date and time at which you found it, as well as your name.
The weirdest thing I personally found were a bunch of these really creepy Christian hellfire like... comics? They were small black and white pamphlets with religious "cartoons" in them, but it was all really scary imagery drawn in a creepy style, with the devil and fire telling you to REPENT. These were English comics found in a pretty French part of Quebec. We took all of them and burned them in our camp fire.

I've heard of people finding strange fetish DVDs and things like that, which I think is actually pretty funny
__________________
Follow my dog on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Riles_puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2018, 04:17 PM   #23
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 36
Posts: 1,988
Default Re: Geocaching???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellonxcollie View Post
a bunch of these really creepy Christian hellfire like... comics?...with the devil and fire telling you to REPENT. We took all of them and burned them in our camp fire.
nice
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2018, 05:39 PM   #24
drizzleRomanceGirl
rain of memories...
FFR Veteran
 
drizzleRomanceGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington (state)
Age: 25
Posts: 2,793
Send a message via Skype™ to drizzleRomanceGirl
Default Re: Geocaching???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
I've been geocaching multiple times, since my father had a mid-life crisis with geocaching being a sport for him for a dozen years or so.

I think the greatest appeal for geocaching has got to be that, most geocaching locations are located on rather active trails or bike paths through woodland areas. The geocache in itself acts as an 'easter egg' so to say, that would be otherwise excruciatingly hard to find without any sort of hints or assistance in finding it.



The strangest thing I found in a geocache is an unused, wrapped condom. Besides that, plenty of hot wheels cars, small figurines, dolls, a laser pointer or two (with still working batteries), old coins, etc. Most geocaches are always accompanied with a small notebook ledger and a pencil as well to record the date and time at which you found it, as well as your name.
oh cool
__________________
i'm transgender in case you didn't know

Division 5 2nd place


Quote:
Originally Posted by hosua View Post
Oh, I thought it was just my internet this whole time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
Also that triple post is almost as delicious as a hot, fresh, Domino's pizza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
can y'all take a break and kiss
(the first section of this chapter)

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5125582...sokyo-no-Jinja
drizzleRomanceGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-7-2018, 08:27 AM   #25
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher
 
MinaciousGrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: nima
Posts: 4,279
Default Re: Geocaching???

so is this the intellectual toddler's version of archaeology
__________________
sometimes stepmania
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-7-2018, 02:12 PM   #26
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Multiplayer ModeratorEvent StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
rushyrulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 72 billion club, NE
Age: 27
Posts: 12,372
Default Re: Geocaching???

Yes, except the indians left the arrowheads there on purpose and gave clues to people on where to find them.
__________________


Last edited by rushyrulz; 04-7-2018 at 02:13 PM..
rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-7-2018, 02:20 PM   #27
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 36
Posts: 1,988
Default Re: Geocaching???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
so is this the intellectual toddler's version of archaeology
Patterns outside the longer/larger time frames than the one which your body exists in are no more or less childish than the ones within your own.

I'd call it 'the one where imagination is used for fun instead of for giving probably false ideas about the past (because lol incomplete dataset) using intellectualism and nicheness as a way to get people to listen to you more to feed your own ego' also its socially acceptable to do so you get money

Last edited by Cavernio; 04-7-2018 at 03:42 PM..
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2018, 02:52 AM   #28
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher
 
MinaciousGrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: nima
Posts: 4,279
Default Re: Geocaching???

i dont see how trekking to a predefined location to find condoms in various states of use can be considered more fun and/or equivalently juvenile to refining our understanding of something like the expanse and depth of the mayan civilization

if you think misconceptions about previous civilizations negate the entire purpose of the field of archaeology and that attempting to understand the arc of human history is an exercise that exists only to feed ones own ego then really i dont know what to say other than you are as stupid as your defense of geocaching

like holy shit the more i read your post the more i cant imagine how you can defend your own continued existence

by your own logic if you cannot know everything in totality, if there is even a speck of doubt in any of your beliefs or understanding of anything, then your existence is an irresponsible abuse of the human mind masking ignorance with "nicheness" and you should just kill yourself

like really there are a dozen alternative avenues of defense for doing something stupid and intellectually non-engaging but you managed to pick the one where you attack an important established academic field as being stupid, pointless, and fake

what???
__________________
sometimes stepmania
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2018, 02:56 AM   #29
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher
 
MinaciousGrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: nima
Posts: 4,279
Default Re: Geocaching???

i can only hope when future archaeologists uncover the ancient pastime of geocaching they'll appropriately understand how fucking stupid it is
__________________
sometimes stepmania
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2018, 04:30 AM   #30
ShadoWolfe
FFR Player
 
ShadoWolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: On a life-size Flat Earth model
Posts: 136
Default Re: Geocaching???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
i can only hope when future archaeologists uncover the ancient pastime of geocaching they'll appropriately understand how fucking stupid it is
Haha noooooo don't let her attack on archeology ruin your perception of geocaching!

I wouldn't say it's a dumbed down version of archeology at all. In fact, they're pretty dissimilar. There's good reason why one is an adventurous (albeit simple) pastime and the other is an occupation and field of study.

Archeology is hard work, with much research, surveying, searching, digging, and a lot of careful procedure that needs to be followed. All just to maybe find something. Then comes the task of studying the finds and piecing together their possible implications on human history, migration, culture, and so on.

Geocaching as a whole is very different than that. If you've ever gone to a place for the purpose of hiking there, then you've already done the majority of the work involved in geocaching. All it does is take the fun of a hike in nature and add another layer of enjoyment by creating a special destination within your hike. It also helps make it memorable through the small trinkets and mementos you find, or through the notes that you leave. There's often really cool stuff, and dismissing it all as "condoms in various states" is only doing yourself a disservice.
__________________





Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte
I followed the "by the book" play, but I was reading the "not to do" page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
" I'd suck a dick in a dark, dark alley."
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshL View Post
"i gave you 20 ducks, and spent a lot of time making one of them quack, and pointed at the particular one and asked "is that one the worst quacker"" ... "you could still give somewhat of an answer based on the quality of the quacks, and the other random quacks from the ducks surrounding that weren't the center of focus."
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellon_collie
"I love Wolfe's duck avi so much. Shado's Duck Shrine is the best!!
ShadoWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2018, 09:42 AM   #31
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator
 
mellonxcollie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Confirmed.
Age: 28
Posts: 1,491
Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie
Default Re: Geocaching???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
like really there are a dozen alternative avenues of defense for doing something stupid and intellectually non-engaging but you managed to pick the one where you attack an important established academic field as being stupid, pointless, and fake

what???
She was responding to your own comment where you specifically mentioned archeology. If you're going to pretend to be so intellectually superior to people who do a harmless outdoor activity that you need to come into a thread and just vomit negativity everywhere, at least believe in your own posts enough to remember them. Or just get out of this thread because nobody cares about your opinion
__________________
Follow my dog on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Riles_puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2018, 10:34 AM   #32
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Multiplayer ModeratorEvent StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
rushyrulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 72 billion club, NE
Age: 27
Posts: 12,372
Default Re: Geocaching???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
i dont see how trekking to a predefined location to find condoms in various states of use can be considered more fun and/or equivalently juvenile to refining our understanding of something like the expanse and depth of the mayan civilization
Why do a couple problems on Project Euler when you could be a full stack developer?
Why knit a blanket when you could be a textile manufacturer?
Why cook dinner when you could be an executive chef?
Why play piano when you could be an orchestral pianist?
Why make a youtube video when you could be an award-winning director?
Why go geocaching when you could be an archaeologist?

hobbies are hobbies and I don't even do this shit.
__________________


Last edited by rushyrulz; 04-8-2018 at 10:35 AM..
rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2018, 10:53 AM   #33
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran
 
Mahou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 29
Posts: 2,030
Default Re: Geocaching???

Can’t tell if Mina is trolling because he enjoys smashing arrows as a hobby but finds geocaching to be a a waste of time :thinking:
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty rhino View Post
one does not simply hate everyone that plays stepmania
AND watch anime.

Last edited by Mahou; 04-8-2018 at 10:54 AM..
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2018, 11:39 AM   #34
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher
 
MinaciousGrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: nima
Posts: 4,279
Default Re: Geocaching???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
like really there are a dozen alternative avenues of defense for doing something stupid and intellectually non-engaging but you managed to pick the one where you attack an important established academic field as being stupid, pointless, and fake

what???
hobbies being hobbies is a valid defense of something i consider a stupid waste of time

subjective definitions of "fun" is a valid defense of something i consider a stupid waste of time

when i bring up archaeology as a comparative point, attacking archaeology by calling it just as stupid and pointless to the level of pernicious is fucking retarded

it's almost like that was my point

my god you people are dumb
__________________
sometimes stepmania
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2018, 11:41 AM   #35
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher
 
MinaciousGrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: nima
Posts: 4,279
Default Re: Geocaching???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellonxcollie View Post
If you're going to pretend to be so intellectually superior to people who do a harmless outdoor activity that you need to come into a thread and just vomit negativity everywhere, at least believe in your own posts enough to remember them.
seriously everything i wrote went way over your head if your reading comprehension is so far below third grade level while people may care about your opinion you should refrain from giving it because it's worthless
__________________
sometimes stepmania
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2018, 11:44 AM   #36
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator
 
mellonxcollie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Confirmed.
Age: 28
Posts: 1,491
Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie
Default Re: Geocaching???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
hobbies being hobbies is a valid defense of something i consider a stupid waste of time

subjective definitions of "fun" is a valid defense of something i consider a stupid waste of time

when i bring up archaeology as a comparative point, attacking archaeology by calling it just as stupid and pointless to the level of pernicious is fucking retarded

it's almost like that was my point

my god you people are dumb
This is a thread about a hobby on the chit chat forum on FFR. We don't need to defend ourselves *to your standards* to every asshole who comes in and demands it. If you don't like our hobbies and defenses of the hobbies, you can leave the thread

Some people would consider jumping down people's throats in order to flex about how much smarter they THINK they are, to be truly dumb. *shruggie*
__________________
Follow my dog on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Riles_puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2018, 11:44 AM   #37
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator
 
mellonxcollie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Confirmed.
Age: 28
Posts: 1,491
Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie
Default Re: Geocaching???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
seriously everything i wrote went way over your head if your reading comprehension is so far below third grade level while people may care about your opinion you should refrain from giving it because it's worthless
shut the fuck up you dumb fucking nerd lmao
__________________
Follow my dog on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Riles_puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2018, 11:53 AM   #38
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher
 
MinaciousGrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: nima
Posts: 4,279
Default Re: Geocaching???

im sorry are you upset that there are dissenting opinions from yours on the internet and you don't know how to contend with anyone that doesnt agree with you

you can always ban me because you don't like me

you're right, i can leave the thread, i don't have to be here

but i am, so what are you gonna do, whine about it some more or exercise your superior mod power?
__________________
sometimes stepmania
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2018, 12:07 PM   #39
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator
 
mellonxcollie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Confirmed.
Age: 28
Posts: 1,491
Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie
Default Re: Geocaching???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
im sorry are you upset that there are dissenting opinions from yours on the internet and you don't know how to contend with anyone that doesnt agree with you

you can always ban me because you don't like me

you're right, i can leave the thread, i don't have to be here

but i am, so what are you gonna do, whine about it some more or exercise your superior mod power?
I mod TGB, and I've never banned anybody because I didn't like them and would never do that.

I don't have any problem at all with your opinion. My problem is with your attitude and the way you talk to people and spread negativity for no reason. My point is that if something causes you enough anger that you feel the need to make the types of posts you made here, and you're not really adding anything productive to the conversation, maybe simply leaving the thread without saying anything is the better option.
__________________
Follow my dog on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Riles_puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2018, 12:21 PM   #40
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher
 
MinaciousGrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: nima
Posts: 4,279
Default Re: Geocaching???

are you really sticking to this whole negative for no reason narrative you've constructed to validate your own irresponsible response

let me recap the thread for you, i mockingly drew comparisons between geocaching and archaeology because they are similar at face value, i find one to be a stupid waste of time, and the other to be an informative and insightful pursuit that people yes, do, devote their entire lives to in order for other people to benefit from their work

in response to this, instead of saying, "dude its just for fun lol", instead of saying, "maybe you think this is a waste of time but i don't" instead of saying, "this doesnt require the same investment of time or energy as a serious field of academia so it's more appealing to people who do other things" cavernio's response is to claim that archaeology is a stupid farcical endeavor that exists solely for people to feed their own ego by trying to understand what can never be proven

which is an idiotic defeatist and ridiculous mutation of bad faith whataboutism

it is in fact the first display of directly hostile negativity in the thread and my response, while made with as you say "negative attitude" appropriately addressed the flawed logic of the post and pointed it out

in response to my negativity, completely ignoring both the illogical response to my post as well as the negative nature of it, you attack me not on grounds of my argument but on grounds of my presentation ignoring the substance of my post so that you can defend someone against a person that you see as a threat because you like them more than me

so you can sit there thinking about how you're so much better than me because you don't have to go around on the internet trying to prove your intellect like you accuse me of doing by willfully ignoring everything i say because you don't like me and feel just as smug about it as you like

you can feel smug because intellectualism is elitism, because you enjoy stupid exercises that are too "outdoors" for nerds, you can dismiss what i say because any argument beyond "i'm right and you're wrong because you're mean and i'm not" is a pretentious farce and you can feel fucking great about it

people like you are how trump gets elected
__________________
sometimes stepmania

Last edited by MinaciousGrace; 04-8-2018 at 12:25 PM..
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright FlashFlashRevolution