Old 11-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
gstarfire
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Does FFR need a Funk category?

Personally, I don't like listening to funk songs very much and there are so few it seems kinda pointless to give them their own category. Maybe FFR could move those into the miscellaneous category and make some other category such as Dubstep for example? Or maybe newly added songs there like the official has been doing to the funk category. I'd like to hear your opinions.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Does FFR need a Funk category?

The categories are really antiquated and haven't faithfully served their purpose for a long time given how limited/specific they are and the wide variety of music on FFR. "Arcade", for example, doesn't really make much sense, and as a result you'll see some inconsistency in what type of music gets placed there.
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
PrawnSkunk
Administrator
User Administrator
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I think FFR would be better off without genre sorting entirely. I would be interested in replacing genre categories with the option to switch between Numerical Difficulty Sorting ("Difficulty 70-75") and Difficulty Names ("Master"). Another interesting thought would be categorizing songs using "themes" similar to packs on StepMania.
PrawnSkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I think instead of removing anything, FFR should add new genres and sort things accordingly (Examples: Jazz, Japanese Bullshit, IDM to ease up on Misc and Dance2)

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I personally would go for a system where the song styles are retained, but the sections divided by song genres removed.

...And then maybe we can then rename "styles" to "genres" because more people are familiar with that term.

Anyhow, this is a topic that has been discussed numerous times, and obviously nothing here will change until the entire menu interface is changed. I hope that'll come eventually.

Last edited by bmah; 11-18-2014 at 07:46 PM..
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #6
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I hate funk music. Get a new menu~
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #7
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

Does this hint at a possible R^4?

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #8
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219

Yeah, sorting songs by genre is pretty much a relic of the past. The "categories" were determined when there was 4-6 songs in each of them. Other categories (Dance 2, Purchased, etc.) were added when the Legacy was the only engine around. When the Velocity engine was added, categories stuck because in order to change them, we would have to change the Legacy engine. (and I think our sole coder at the time was reluctant to touch that engine) Basically, we're stuck with a decision that was made over 10 years ago.

Oh and there's 13 categories total, we could use the old ranking system instead.

Also @bmah : the FFR database calls them "Genres", the Legacy/Velocity engine calls them "Styles" or "Genres" depending on where you look...

Last edited by noname219; 11-18-2014 at 08:02 PM..
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #9
choof
Banned

if we get rid of funk where are all of the tourney files gonna go

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
"genres"
going to quote this out of context, thanks bmah-kun

On a serious note, the current "categorization" is really non-cohesive. In my opinion, we should do away with genres/styles altogether and have them sorted by difficulties, like 1-10, 11-20, all the way up to 100.
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #10
ilikexd

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
On a serious note, the current "categorization" is really non-cohesive. In my opinion, we should do away with genres/styles altogether and have them sorted by difficulties, like 1-10, 11-20, all the way up to 100.
Yeah, this whole topic was discussed in a Skype chat, and, while it's agreed upon that these categories are pretty ambiguous and unhelpful, the existence of some form of categorization is helpful to help new users. Music "style" aside, difficulty would be the logical thing to base it off.
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #11
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

The current categories make very little sense. There's a lot of questions to ask to fix it though:

How many categories do we want to have? In other words, how specific should they be?
How many files per category is right to aid in navigation? What is the upper limit where it's totally unhelpful as a sorting tool, and the lower limit where it's just needlessly specific?
How do we deal with songs that fall into multiple categories?
How do we deal with adding new songs that eventually make existing categories too large and unwieldy?

There's a lot of things to think about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
Does this hint at a possible R^4?
This reminds me of "Thirdstyle is coming soon™"

Last edited by hi19hi19; 11-18-2014 at 08:39 PM..
hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #12
andy-o24
Private Messages, please.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to andy-o24

"Genre Name #" up to 16 or 17 pages (above this overflows the page number navigation over the arrows for flipping pages in Legacy engine)
Once 16 or 17 pages are filled.
"Genre Name #+1"
Repeat.

Now we just need more specific genre names to eliminate the Dance 2 having 8 navigation numbers overflowing the flip page arrow with some of those number overlapping each other issue.

-o24

When the game isn't fun for you anymore, take a break. It's not a job, nobody here is professional and getting paid to play and force themselves to constantly improve... it's a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Yeah, FFR is addicting...I don't think I'll get bored with this game unless I somehow become the best at it, which won't happen.

Last edited by andy-o24; 11-18-2014 at 08:55 PM..
andy-o24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #13
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

While I definitely agree the "genres" need an overhaul, I personally don't like the idea of sorting solely on difficulty. The majority of the reason I played when I first started had nothing to do with skill, it was playing songs I enjoyed. I never would have found those songs to begin with had I not been guided somewhat by the genres, because I wouldn't have had the patience to go through a bunch of "Difficulty 11-20" songs to find ones I liked.

Just my opinion though. If the engine(s) can sort based on song "style" (or genre of music, whatever we choose to call it) then it's a moot point because some new person wanting to play techno and not j-pop would just search techno.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:16 AM   #14
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

would there be any chance of a branching system to be discussed? (as in the top layer of genres is difficulty-wise, being 1-10, 11-20, etc. and then branch the original engine choices (dance, hip hop, arcade, classic...)) you would see a lot more holes in areas as you go up the difficulty tree if you sort by sub-genres, allowing resource & pushing-forces for people to fill those gaps (there is no 80+ hip hop), and it will still allow newcomers & players alike to pick what songs they want to play based off genre.

Another choice is to offer a search possibility for certain genres, but with how many genres & styles of music there is in FFR, it might be worthwhile to turn it into a drop-down list, and offer players the option to revert back to the old system.

This is one of those things where the situation is heavily opinionated, and not everyone likes it. So why not both? It's a great idea, but imo, I would prefer the current system that we have now, and an option to resort into difficulties.

- Tosh 2014

Last edited by gold stinger; 11-19-2014 at 12:17 AM..
gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #15
lurker
ur worst nitemare
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

having difficulty be the default categorization wouldn't be user friendly because let's face it, most people don't like ambient and classical
it would work if more songs under 20 were like rainbow road (standard) but iirc that is not the case

Last edited by lurker; 11-24-2014 at 09:41 AM..
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #16
lurker
ur worst nitemare
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

the funk category is outdated and should probably be replaced by something that splits up edm more, but picking the genre to replace it would be annoying as fuck
using the choof definition of dubstep (i.e as stated in dubstep minipack 2) could actually work

Last edited by lurker; 11-24-2014 at 09:44 AM..
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote