FFR Player

Default Re: Etterna vs. OsuMania

both games suck

ilikecatsalotihatedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-1-2018, 02:30 PM   #23
QueenAshy
Banned

osu!mania has a better HP system and more keymodes. Stepmania only has 4 & 8 keys, while osu!mania has every keymode from 1k-18k. Mania is easier to "plug and play", you can start downloading maps and playing as soon as you boot it up: No need for hunting down map packs and worrying about every song being in a set list. Mania also has an overall better SV system than stepmania, which allows you to change speed independent of BPM; and as far as I know, arrowvortex has no such function.

There's some things I like about stepmania tho, like the ability to choose rates and the colors for different beat snaps.

I just don't prefer stepmania cause of it's ranking system and the reasons I mentioned above. If the osu! moderation wasn't quickly becoming the same level as the miiverse forums, I would certainly go back to practicing anti-meta keymodes.
QueenAshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-1-2018, 03:01 PM   #24
Elekton
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

why are you necroposting with objectively incorrect information

its like pump(5k), solo(6k) and kb7(7k) dont exist
xmod is barely relevant these days
and the ranking system you talk about doesnt even exist for basic stepmania
Old 07-1-2018, 03:16 PM   #25
Elekton
FFR Simfile Author

mybad
Old 07-1-2018, 03:27 PM   #26
QueenAshy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elekton View Post
why are you necroposting with objectively incorrect information

its like pump(5k), solo(6k) and kb7(7k) dont exist
xmod is barely relevant these days
and the ranking system you talk about doesnt even exist for basic stepmania
You didn't even mention my point about downloading songs. Also, not my fault I necroed, I assumed it was active since it was 4th from the top of the list.

Or my point about SV, I think that's a huge point for mania. Having a seperate system to control speed.

Last edited by QueenAshy; 07-1-2018 at 03:28 PM..
QueenAshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-1-2018, 03:31 PM   #27
Elekton
FFR Simfile Author

because im pointing out what i and many other people would think you are incorrect about
not to mention "think" barely applies with this

Last edited by Elekton; 07-1-2018 at 03:31 PM..
Elekton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-1-2018, 04:56 PM   #28
EtienneSM
FFR Player
D8 Godly Keysmasher

Send a message via Skype™ to EtienneSM

I mean

We can sit here and talk about how Etterna is objectively better overall than o!m given I've played both games for years

But who even cares at this point anymore

Just play whatever you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by KgZ View Post
enjoy having every guy ask if they can get some love on their weiner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I also like the nps scale. The standard ITG scale for harder files is blown out of proportion and no longer makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
nps is still a better idea for ratings
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimtkiller View Post
there is 1 tip for people going to college. When you're in college, you'll be 16, which is the age where (where i live) you can get laid lawfully. basically, get laid asap when they look the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapta View Post
My logic is that the brain processes in 60 FPS so I play 60 FPS.
EtienneSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-1-2018, 05:27 PM   #29
-paexaea-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAshy View Post
You didn't even mention my point about downloading songs. Also, not my fault I necroed, I assumed it was active since it was 4th from the top of the list.

Or my point about SV, I think that's a huge point for mania. Having a seperate system to control speed.
Go back to the o!m forums where you belong. You are clearly white noise and have nothing useful or convincing to say about either game.
Old 07-1-2018, 05:34 PM   #30
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Just download and play my files what's so hard about that
Old 07-1-2018, 06:01 PM   #31
-Blue7-
Banned
FFR Veteran

FFR
-Blue7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-1-2018, 07:40 PM   #32
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
Just download and play my files what's so hard about that
lmfao i love you bro <3
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-1-2018, 07:46 PM   #33
komochii
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by icontrolyourworld View Post
lmfao i love you bro <3
Leak icy X2 as risty
komochii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-1-2018, 09:04 PM   #34
Hayzeusky
FFR Player

Why does this keep getting revived?
Hayzeusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-1-2018, 09:09 PM   #35
komochii
Banned

Eventually people will realize this forum is fairly dead and drama is fun and good and it's just a game and how you act doesn't reflect you and what game you like doesn't matter
komochii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-1-2018, 09:13 PM   #36
Hayzeusky
FFR Player

that run on sentence tho...
Hayzeusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-1-2018, 11:16 PM   #37
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!

Quote:
osu!mania has a better HP system
Can you explain this please? Afaik hp is set per map at the mappers discretion in osumania, while in stepmania you can choose between life 1 to life 8 depending on how fast you want your lifebar to drain. Additionally in stepmania you can choose to turn fail off negating any gameplay element that is linked with it. I don't particularly find that lifebar is an engaging gameplay mechanic unless you're specifically going for passes, and that's not the metagame right now and hasn't been since like 2008.
Quote:
and more keymodes.
I will give you this, osumania does have more keymodes, but when I look for maps for each keymode I have trouble finding content for keymodes other than 4 and 7k.
Quote:
Stepmania only has 4 & 8 keys,
This is incorrect information. Stepmania can support 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and i believe 3 9 and 10. Additionally we have a very nice selection of 6k files, and no one will come close to how much content we have for 4k.
Quote:
while osu!mania has every keymode from 1k-18k.
As mentioned earlier, that's great but the majority of content i find is for 4k and 7k.
Quote:
Mania is easier to "plug and play",
I would argue against this actually. Stepmania being centralized around sharing packs, makes it so that you can get more of what you want easier. For example, would you rather download 1000 songs in 20 packs, or 1000 songs in 1000 downloads. The idea behind sharing single files was scrapped for a reason, and the reason is community projects are far more engaging and easier to share.
I had a computer crash recently and I had to redownload every single last pack for stepmania that i had, as well as any osumania content that i wanted to play again. I can not for the life of me, remember every single song that i want to play on osumania. With stepmania I downloaded about 200 packs, and now i have over 10,000 songs that I know and love.
This very much comes down to preference, but I seriously think that stepmania has the sharper edge in how sharing content works.
Quote:
you can start downloading maps and playing as soon as you boot it up:
This is not an arguement to say you can't in stepmania, because you can do the same thing. You can start downloading packs, even before you install stepmania.
Quote:
No need for hunting down map packs and worrying about every song being in a set list.
This is a terrible preconceived negative outlook on how stepmanias pack system works. You need to open your horizons, and truly experience the benefits of packs. Let me explain please.

In osumania if you want to play a song, you must know the title, or some bit of information to find the song during gameplay. I can't imagine it's easy finding the exact song you want to play when you start to load up 15,000 songs for example. Your list of songs can be organized in many various ways, but I always sorted by difficulty, but that groups songs into 1000's of songs long lists. So the best resort is to keep a document, external notepad list, or in game grouping (favorites, which by extension could be considered in some ways a Pack, the way stepmania works) to find the song you want to play. This is my personal experience with osumania.

Imagine you have a filing cabinet in an office, with folders that you can organize files into, and have everything alphabetized, but instead of using the office to put your 1000's of papers into, you throw them into the closet in your room, and dig around for a while trying to find the right paper. That's how I feel when I look at the songs list in osumania

BY CONTRAST

In stepmania if i want to find for example Staring At My Spaceship, a very excellently made file that is worth playing many times, simply because it's very awesome, here is how I would find it if I couldn't for the life of me remember exactly that song name.
I have played many packs, becoming familiar with the groupings of songs in each pack. I can open a pack and know what to expect in it. It's basically 1 to 1 similar to how you would organize files in a folder in a filing cabinet in an office job. I know that Staring At My Spaceship is in a xoon pack, and there's 5 xoon packs. So I scroll through my list of packs, and search those packs, it's in Xoon 5, and going with the example I can't remember the song title, so I quickly scroll through the packs until I find it, each pack is also organized alphabetically, let's say I remember the song starts with an S (for Staring) so I go to the S's in each of the xoon packs until I find it, and I land on it and play it.
This might sound convoluted, but it's part of becoming familiar with the content. It 100% makes it easier to build a mental map of where 15,000 songs are, If there's a song in hard songs megapack that I want to play, I know to go to hard songs megapack.
Exploring packs in this way to find a song you remember, also brings up the opportunity to see other files you may have played before, and pursue a nostalgia session; which is totally a common thing in stepmania. I play through ODI packs, and Zaghurim files, and they're very old files, but it's awesome to revisit those files.

I also touched on this being good for our community. We can organize packs with predetermined rulesets that make packs have a theme to it. For example, we can organize a jumpstream pack, a jack pack, an index pack, a nostalgia pack where we try to use rules that were in place 10+ years ago, musically themed packs, like astronomic metal collection, 8bit, rap, current pop music, current Rhythm game music like IIDX or Sound Voltex, camellia, dj sharpnel, dragonforce, we can literally make any pack that suits anyone's taste for this game.
AND since each pack is catered specifically to one ruleset, it expands diversity, gives players an opportunity to find what they like, ask for recommendations for packs that are similar, and brings us together EVEN MORE as a community. There's a reason why we make packs of songs, it is absolutely not something that should be brushed under the rug as a negative thing.

One last thing on this point to wrap up, since we have the option to make diverse packs, with specific themes, and different rulesets, and the option to make packs all on our own, we are not held back by 1 set of rules that homogenizes all files to cater to 1 agreed upon ruleset. We can all agree that quality is an important factor when creating and playing a map or chart, but diversity is something I think stepmania definitely has nailed better.

I have a very firm position on this packs vs. single files difference, you could say it comes down to personal preferance, but I really think it's worth seeing from both sides of the fence.
Quote:
Mania also has an overall better SV system than stepmania,
From my understanding SV is specifically the rate at which arrows scroll the screen, similar to how xmod works in stepmania. I've seen some FANTASTIC SV maps in osumania, but I've also seen some FANTASTIC xmod maps in stepmania. I'm not familiar with the osumania editor, but I imagine that SV is on a slider, or number line of sorts you can set to put in any desired SV. If that's the case I concede that SV is better than xmod. We both do have the ability however to meet practically the same desired outcome. Osumania probably just has the better tools for the job.

Quote:
which allows you to change speed independent of BPM;
This is good news for SV/xmod mappers!

Quote:
and as far as I know, arrowvortex has no such function.
Arrowvortex is a supplementary program/tool for stepmania, but you're right it doesn't have that function.

Quote:
There's some things I like about stepmania tho, like the ability to choose rates and the colors for different beat snaps.
I do like this too

Quote:
I just don't prefer stepmania cause of it's ranking system and the reasons I mentioned above.
In my personal opinion, i think it's a damn shame that you need a ranking system to drive you to play. I think both osumania and stepmania should hold their weight in fun simply based on the content you have to play. A game should be a game, not a leader board.
But since we're talking about it, I assume that the ranking system is important to you so that you can have bragging rights, like being rank 20 or 2000 or <10000 for example, and that's more an indication of your skill compared to other players, but I think etterna specifically gives a much clearer indication of where you are in skill. If I say my etterna rank is 20 or 30, that's probably more effective than saying my rank is 1400 or 14000. But that's just it, they're both roughly there as rough indicators of your progress as a player. I think they both hold merrit, but etterna actually does give a better indication of skill

Quote:
If the osu! moderation wasn't quickly becoming the same level as the miiverse forums, I would certainly go back to practicing anti-meta keymodes.
I think you should play whatever you find most fun.

Last edited by icontrolyourworld; 07-1-2018 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: i can't spell words worth a shit
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-1-2018, 11:30 PM   #38
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

That was really well put icy and pretty much sums up my thoughts. Really good job
Old 07-2-2018, 12:48 AM   #39
the sun fan
FFR Player

the thing I am most curious about is the state of miiverse forums these days
EDIT: Oh, ok

FFR is a pretty good place somehow.

Last edited by the sun fan; 07-2-2018 at 12:49 AM..
the sun fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-2-2018, 12:10 PM   #40
Sidek
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Etterna it's ok but still lacks a ranking system inside the game if someone implement that could be very good.

Bye.
Sidek is offline   Reply With Quote