Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > Brag Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2015, 11:25 PM   #1
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default StepMania World Records ~Master Thread~

With the new year approaching and lack of high quality "best SM score of 20xx" threads in recent years, I figured it would be more interesting to have a thread focused on the best of the best that is always open for discussion.

World Record Tables

Some important stuff:

1) All scores must be achieved using Judge 4 and Life 4 settings. It is fine to use Judge 7 for accuracy-based charts since scores can be accurately translated into a Judge 4 score.

2) No gameplay modifiers are allowed with the exception of: Scroll Speed, Scroll Direction, Noteskins, Mirror, Perspective mods (for example Distant). "No mines" is acceptable in cases where mines do not add difficulty to the chart.

3) All scores must use 1.0x music rate. Currently there are ways to keep records for specific music rates but a comprehensive list has not been attempted. I hope this can be included in the future, perhaps even for other judge settings, modifiers etc.

4) Various game modes and play-styles have record tables exclusive to them and currently include 4-key spread, 4-key index, and 6-key solo.

5) In instances where the legitimacy of a score is concerned, said score will not be included in the table until the player is able to demonstrate through whatever means necessary the abilities required to attain a score of similar comparison. This rule can be enforced and called upon at any time and is not limited to scores which have not been added to the tables.

All of the above rules are subject to change.

The current method to determine world record scores is using the DP-marv scoring system. This system attaches a number value to the various judgements in the form of dance points and generates a total. The score with the highest total dance points is the world record.

The values for DP-marv are:
Marvelous +10
Perfect +9
Great +5
Good 0
Boo -20
Miss -40
OK +30
N.G. 0

In many cases it will be necessary to calculate which score is the higher one, you can use this calculator to compare scores easily.

The current "Perfect Score" is 100% marvelous judgements or a AAAA Letter Grade. Since current scoring has an upper limit, it is not uncommon for multiple players to tie for the top score. In these cases, the record is divided equally between the number of players who have obtained a AAAA with all players being listed on the table.

In the event that multiple scores share the same number of dance points and are not AAAA scores, the "cleanest score" prevails. That being the score with the fewest number of greats and/or combo-breakers. In some rare cases a tie could need to be resolved using alternative means of comparison.

Go Here: http://www.staiain.net/StepMania/smw.../Help:Contents

If you still have any questions, just ask!

I think that about covers it for now; my intention with this thread is to make it more of a discussion thread than anything. Also I know the way that we store this information is not ideal and I'm always interested in ways of making it more accessible and informative.

---Recent Updates/Changes---
-Added Yolomania 4 (4-key) 26/12/2015

Last edited by Dynam0; 12-25-2015 at 11:25 PM..
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:58 AM   #2
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: StepMania World Records ~Master Thread~

I'm wondering if this should be integrated into stepmania leaderboards. Basically, what I'm thinking of is a scoreboard for each song and that way we don't always just have one score at a time (what was the previous WR? and so on). It looks like Wafles already has a CMS for users to upload scores and then insert them into a database.

I wanted to ask about this because I'm currently in the process of setting up leaderboards for my Crossover Spectrum Series using a CMS, and don't want to reinvent the wheel for "Stepmania World Records" when there's already a site dedicated to SM Scores.

Last edited by DossarLX ODI; 12-26-2015 at 07:58 AM..
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

if we're going to do this i vote we create our own dp% system rather than using dp-marv or dp, which is something i wanted to do for a while now anyway

the standard dp system suffers from penalizing misses too harshly and not penalizing goods harshly enough, and the good:boo scoring differential is similarly silly

iirc dp-marv suffers from the same issues as well as weighting accuracy a touch too hard

in either case i'm sure we could come up with a reasonable system agreed on by most people instead of just accepting what is given to us by feetarrow overlords
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #4
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
I'm wondering if this should be integrated into stepmania leaderboards.
lol
Old 12-26-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
lol
My post raised the question of whether or not we'd want another site for Stepmania World Records if the current wiki is not the ideal way of storing the data. I remember that previously the SM World Records wiki also had the top 3 scores back in the ODI era, and I'm wondering if we should do something similar.

What are the issues with integrating Stepmania World Records to SM Leaderboards? Is it even worth moving World Records to another site? What other alternatives should we consider for storing the scores so we can also find previous World Records? These are questions I'm bringing up for discussion.
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #6
Dynam0
The Dominator

SM Leaderboards is a good idea in terms of having the ability to enter stuff easily and include rates but it currently ranks scores using Max2 scoring. (obviously this is easy to fix though so the potential is there)
I don't think DP-marv is too far off of a reasonable scoring system if at all.

In the current system you would need 50 less perfects in order to negate the effect of getting a miss. I don't see an issue with this, especially considering this is a rhythm game I really think accuracy is an important thing to take into account.

We could tighten the gap between marv and perfect and put more emphasis on PA for instance. Something like:

Marv +10
Perfect +9.5
Great +5
Good -15
Boo -20
Miss -20
OK +10
N.G. 0

This means you now need 60 less perfects to offset a miss, instead of needing 5 less perfects to offset a great (which is a little too lenient) you now need 10 less perfects. I think it's a start but wanna know thoughts on boos + miss having the same penalty. Holds are also less important for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Dynam0; 12-26-2015 at 09:43 AM..
Old 12-26-2015, 09:43 AM   #7
lurker
ur worst nitemare
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

yeah editing an ancient wiki is totally the most efficient way to keep track of world record scores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
Marv +10
Perfect +9.5
Great +5
Good -15
Boo -20
Miss -20
OK +10
N.G. 0
that is the most lenient scoring system i have ever seen in my life
then again almost all rhythm games with some sort of "raw score" inexplicably have zero punishment for any judgments outside of the first 2-3

Last edited by lurker; 12-26-2015 at 09:47 AM..
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #8
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
My post raised the question of whether or not we'd want another site for Stepmania World Records if the current wiki is not the ideal way of storing the data. I remember that previously the SM World Records wiki also had the top 3 scores back in the ODI era, and I'm wondering if we should do something similar.

What are the issues with integrating Stepmania World Records to SM Leaderboards? Is it even worth moving World Records to another site? What other alternatives should we consider for storing the scores so we can also find previous World Records? These are questions I'm bringing up for discussion.
in point of fact the leaderboard site already has all of the framework to do exactly what we want

the problem is getting the person running it to do anything

@dynamo misses should probably be something like -30 but rather than eyeballing stuff it makes more sense to get a bunch of people together into a skype/discord room or something and build our own calculator and feed it a bunch of scores and scoring parameters to see what gels the most with our perception of "impressiveness"

e: particularly a bunch of different scores on the exact same file

Last edited by MinaciousGrace; 12-26-2015 at 09:56 AM..
Old 12-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #9
Dynam0
The Dominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
yeah editing an ancient wiki is totally the most efficient way to keep track of world record scores
Quote:
Also I know the way that we store this information is not ideal and I'm always interested in ways of making it more accessible and informative.
Derp, also the wiki itself is loading incredibly slow and has gone down multiple times. Moving this information to another location is probably a good idea.

@mina yeah that's a much better idea lol hit me up sometime

Last edited by Dynam0; 12-26-2015 at 10:01 AM..
Old 12-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #10
Wafles
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Wafles

SM Leaderboards is currently capable of sorting by Max% and EX Oni % (the default SM5 scoring mode).

However - I would argue that, as is, the leaderboards site is actually not an ideal place for a true file-by-file leaderboards type of system for a few reasons. The biggest of which is that it requires users to sign up and submit their own scores, which is obviously a problem for the plethora of older world records that still hold up today.

Obviously solutions could be thought up to deal with this, but as Mina said, getting me to actually update the site in any meaningful way has been a struggle lately. I won't make excuses there, I haven't had the motivation to do so in a while. How much time I have aside, I've been prioritizing actually playing the game and working on other side projects instead.

Adding another ranking metric is not the problem, that would only take a few minutes honestly.
Wafles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #11
ItsOnlyDanO
Stuck in the past

Quote:
Derp, also the wiki itself is loading incredibly slow and has gone down multiple times. Moving this information to another location is probably a good idea.
not to mention the seemingly endless amount of bots that just post crap on there

The WR's need to move to a new home, its just a matter of deciding what that home will be and how it will be organised
Then its a matter of transferring data over from the existing wiki
Old 12-26-2015, 06:59 PM   #12
lurker
ur worst nitemare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafles View Post
However - I would argue that, as is, the leaderboards site is actually not an ideal place for a true file-by-file leaderboards type of system for a few reasons. The biggest of which is that it requires users to sign up and submit their own scores, which is obviously a problem for the plethora of older world records that still hold up today.
clearly the solution to this is to poach every record that's more than 2 years old
Old 01-3-2016, 12:14 AM   #13
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

As a holder of a few records, this conversation has my attention. I didn't know the SM wiki had crashed.

What bothers me about the "top scores" table is that the main SMO site already has one of those, but I think it's a different scoring system. (I remember getting a 99p 1good score on KBC3's None Would Escape that somehow trumped Foxfire's 23-2-0-0-2. ) So then you have a debate as to which site holds the "true" world record rankings.

And if you want a "here's the previous WR" I can actually contribute slightly to that, as I recently shaved 15 perfects off of my KBC2 Erasermotor Maximum WR, so I have both shots. (New record is 55p 6g FC)

Last edited by igotrhythm; 01-3-2016 at 12:17 AM..
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-3-2016, 02:40 AM   #14
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

i want to say the number of people who take the smo rankings seriously is close to 0 but its probably more than those who dont
Old 01-7-2016, 08:09 PM   #15
midare
the SiTuAtIOn~
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to midare

what about hidden ._.

otherwise really good to see people still play this game a lot. stai's demo, plus all y'all appear to hang out or do stepman shit IRL. good for y'all. that was always the dream for me haha.
midare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:21 PM   #16
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

It seems staiain.net is no longer in commission.

Sigh. I still have my 55p 6g FC of Erasermotor Maximum, at least.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:27 AM   #17
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

stepmania
Old 05-21-2017, 03:27 AM   #18
blindreper1179
Vice President Of TGB
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to blindreper1179 Send a message via Skype™ to blindreper1179

This is upsetting
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
It was like trying to throw logic at a fuckin brick wall lmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
whats more dense, a black hole or an icyworld file
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
I've never been so disappointed by a man from Alabama than I am right now
blindreper1179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #19
Shxfted
Godly
FFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
stepmania
stepmania
Old 05-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #20
EtienneSM
FFR Player
D8 Godly Keysmasher

Send a message via Skype™ to EtienneSM

MA is dead
And so are you

Quote:
Originally Posted by KgZ View Post
enjoy having every guy ask if they can get some love on their weiner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I also like the nps scale. The standard ITG scale for harder files is blown out of proportion and no longer makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
nps is still a better idea for ratings
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimtkiller View Post
there is 1 tip for people going to college. When you're in college, you'll be 16, which is the age where (where i live) you can get laid lawfully. basically, get laid asap when they look the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapta View Post
My logic is that the brain processes in 60 FPS so I play 60 FPS.
EtienneSM is offline   Reply With Quote