Old 11-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Default Ideal Stream patterns

I'm very simply put, lost in how to do streams that don't flow like complete ass. Anyone who has played {Midnight} on thirdstyle, or Extratone Pirates on the Dragon's Fury Engine, knows exactly what I am talking about.

Instead of rambling with numbers and stuff, I suppose it'd be easiest to show you examples of streams I've come up with, that I know are extremely bad to hit pattern wise.

The goal of this first stream was to keep it PRed, but doing so makes it total ass, so I tried to semiPRed and this is the result

This is from Transparent World @220 BPM

This is a speedcore chart where the stream is randomized
And this is from my Extratone Pirates @250bpm

If these aren't enough examples, I can possibly give one or two more when I get home as I don't have all my charts on my laptop, which I am currently on.

Now, it's harder to notice from looking, but take my word for it, that these patterns are either really obnoxious to hit, or complete luck to not mess up.

So in short, does any one have any idealistic stream pattern(s)? A pattern that flows wonderfully regardless of PR is completely acceptable. This is not a pattern I intend to copy note for note, but something I'd like to use sort of as a base line for testing the flow of patterns I step in the future.

Any help is appreciated very much.
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
moches
FFR Player

Default Re: Ideal Stream patterns

a few guidelines:
1. find a balance between cramped and spaced. some people make patterns that are impossible to hit because they contain jacks/repeated notes over and over again, while other people make random ass patterns that are a pain in the butthole to hit, much less hit accurately. personally, what I like to do is "ease" transitions as such.

say you're patterning a stream that goes from left to right. what you could do is something like this...

x000
0x00
x000
00x0
0x00
00x0
0x00
000x
00x0
000x

see how I'm moving one note at a time? you want to give your players a connecting point to transition to different patterns. ideally, this means lots of 8th minijacks in your streams.

[14] patterns always feel more open than [23] patterns do.

try not to have [12]/[34] trills

don't abuse the staircase pattern, unless you can either put a fun twist on it (ie messing with mines, leaving gaps and switching up the steps) or the melody is actually doing that

reserve longer jack patterns (ie 12131214) for melodies that deserve them.

jack theory can be good when used sparingly (NEVER use in faster streams, though). look for tension points where minijacks would flow well.
moches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Tidus810
slimy, yet ... satisfying
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I'm kinda glad you made this thread, I was in a similar predicament not too long ago. I'm sure someone else will have more detailed ideas, but I tend to enjoy stream that has continuity with occasional breaks. Easy examples are 123414321 and 1232143234. I find that these kind of patterns are easy to read and much easier to hit than other patterns at any given bpm, but the breaks help with reading etc.
Hope that helps a little.
Tidus810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
Grimer
FFR Player

260bpm and lower you pretty much can't make bad stream patterns, though if you're in doubt about something it's probably going to be a running man type pattern. 260-300 You might want to cut down on the amount of 1 handed thrill patterns, play around with it until you think it flows well. When you start to get in the bpm range of 290-340 I find it's best to avoid awkward 1 handed patterns throughout the stream (for example Disregard has some really weird things going on in it).

Overall the choice of patterns you use in streams should take into consideration what bpm the file is. PR can be really good and fun up to a certain bpm, but after a certain point it just doesn't matter.

Sicky Liquid
Old 11-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
i love you
Live a wonderful life~
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I basically do something similar to moches except I am more cautious with transitioning from one pattern to the next so I end up playtesting all of my Simfiles lots of times until it gets to the point where almost every transition is smooth and the patterns match the music as semi-close as possible. I also take into consideration of the genre and the bpm of each file as well.

What I normally do now is first start out with random index stream.

Then I change it up so that it is semi-PR with the music.

Then I playtest to check for awkward transitioning and adjust accordingly.

And finally, I move on to the next sections and apply the same concept until I finish the file.

Then I wait a day or two and come back to the file and I usually notice a few things that I have missed and adjust them accordingly.

In the end, you have one nice and fun-looking file.
i love you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
Razor
Dan "Razor" Devilz
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

3rd: Retro City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers
I play Stepmania, so I know everything about media formats.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimer View Post
260bpm and lower you pretty much can't make bad stream patterns, though if you're in doubt about something it's probably going to be a running man type pattern.
I hope you realize that your advice is basically useless unless someone is stepping files intended for high-level players (and at that point patterns don't matter much anyway since apparently you can dump long 32nd walls and stuff in and everyone is okay with it).
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
Grimer
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqwref View Post
I hope you realize that your advice is basically useless unless someone is stepping files intended for high-level players (and at that point patterns don't matter much anyway since apparently you can dump long 32nd walls and stuff in and everyone is okay with it).
I hope you realize my advice is in fact directed at high-level stream pattern choice. (mostly)
Like I said you can use pitch relevancy at lower bpms and it will usually work out fine. If you aren't using PR at a lower bpm just fiddle with it until you have a stream that's fun. It's really basic stuff, I believe if anyone puts enough time into their file they can have something they're proud of.

Sticky Liquid
Old 11-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimer View Post
I hope you realize my advice is in fact directed at high-level stream pattern choice. (mostly)
Sure, but basically if your approach to 200-250 bpm stream is "anything is okay" then you are just not going to make good charts of the difficulties that most active players play.

I don't think anyone would disagree when I say that the difficulty of a file is a combination of the bpm and how tough the patterns are. If 16th stream is the focus of your file, then whether it's at 150 or 220 or 300 bpm, it's important to make it flow well. Sure, the kind of person who AAAs 300 bpm stream files isn't going to care about 220 bpm stream files, but they aren't the intended audience anyway. If you are making a 220bpm file and ignore the fact that a lot of people still have trouble with icky 220bpm stream patterns, you're going to end up with a chart that is only fun to the people who will AAA it anyway, and really unpleasant to the people who will be playing that chart the most.

@Middie: Honestly, there is a lot of disagreement over this, because some people like certain patterns and some like others. For instance hi19 tends to make really rolly streams that he enjoys, and I also know other people who hate playing that kind of pattern. I've heard samurai is really good with patterns, so you could look at his charts for some pointers. In general I think it's fair to say that you should generally avoid one-handed minitrills longer than 3-4 notes, and try not to have any kind of longer anchorjacks, but other than that there's a lot of variation available in how you make the stream feel. I wouldn't want there to be One Way to do it because then all the files would look the same. As long as you avoid the really bad stuff, it's nice to have the variety of different styles.
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,

...x | ...x | x... | ...x
..x. | ..x. | ..x. | ..x.
.x.. | x... | .x.. | .x..
x... | .x.. | ...x | ...x
..x. | ..x. | ..x. | ..x.
...x | ...x | ...x | x...
.x.. | .x.. | .x.. | ...x
...x | x... | ..x. | .x..
..x. | ..x. | x... | x...
x... | .x.. | .x.. | ..x.
.x.. | ...x | x... | .x..
..x. | ..x. | ..x. | x...
...x | x... | .x.. | ...x
.x.. | .x.. | ...x | .x..
x... | ..x. | ..x. | ..x.
..x. | ...x | ...x | x...
x... | .x.. | .x.. | ..x.
.x.. | x... | ..x. | .x..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE

Last edited by SKG_Scintill; 11-19-2012 at 01:33 PM..
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Italicized is QQ:

Sure, but basically if your approach to 200-250 bpm stream is "anything is okay" then you are just not going to make good charts of the difficulties that most active players play.

I agree. If you notice both screen shots I posted are above the 200 bpm mark. And let me tell you something, those patterns give me nightmares. Transparent has been outright rejected from a pack because of that intro pattern I posted.

I don't think anyone would disagree when I say that the difficulty of a file is a combination of the bpm and how tough the patterns are. If 16th stream is the focus of your file, then whether it's at 150 or 220 or 300 bpm, it's important to make it flow well. Sure, the kind of person who AAAs 300 bpm stream files isn't going to care about 220 bpm stream files, but they aren't the intended audience anyway. If you are making a 220bpm file and ignore the fact that a lot of people still have trouble with icky 220bpm stream patterns, you're going to end up with a chart that is only fun to the people who will AAA it anyway, and really unpleasant to the people who will be playing that chart the most.

Pretty much this. And even then you keep in mind that those who can AAA it simply could then take it upon themselves to play it faster via rates. So it still matters to a degree.

@Middie: Honestly, there is a lot of disagreement over this, because some people like certain patterns and some like others. For instance hi19 tends to make really rolly streams that he enjoys, and I also know other people who hate playing that kind of pattern. I've heard samurai is really good with patterns, so you could look at his charts for some pointers. In general I think it's fair to say that you should generally avoid one-handed minitrills longer than 3-4 notes, and try not to have any kind of longer anchorjacks, but other than that there's a lot of variation available in how you make the stream feel. I wouldn't want there to be One Way to do it because then all the files would look the same. As long as you avoid the really bad stuff, it's nice to have the variety of different styles.

My hope was not to come up with "one way to stream them all" (I went there) I just needed a fresh outlook on it. I learned that anchor jack one the hard way though...

For those who don't remember that evil stupid horse shit.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #12
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,

For stream, play La Verdine (olol dat ego)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
Razor
Dan "Razor" Devilz
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioNintendo View Post
Sexy
hey thanks babe
3rd: Retro City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers
I play Stepmania, so I know everything about media formats.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #15
Charlo
FFR Player

I just make index/pad-friendly streams and try to minimize the amount of same-hand arrows in succession. In my mind the streams are either right-arrow-based (no right arrows appear as sixteenth notes for the duration of the stream) or left-arrow-based (the opposite). Jumpstream throws this out the window.

I suppose the ideal stream (for me) would be one where the left and right hands alternate exactly. That would limit the amount of possible patterns by a lot.

I make metal files for keyboard players! Check them out at:
Charlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #16
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

I honestly see no different between an index friendly stream and a spread stream, to me there really isn't one.

And I played Index for quite a while.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #17
Gundam-Dude
`~`

my general rule of thumb is try to keep one handed trill patterns to a minimum and always be conscious of jack patterns, especially semi-hidden ones

for example, my fxxin desire is completely focused on the 16th jack on the up arrow—semi-hidden amidst all the 4th and 8th notes. personally, I'd spread it out as evenly as possible for a better flow, even if it means breaking some PR

also I don't know if anyone else has noticed but I personally keep a lot of my 16th note layering towards the center [2] and [3]. that's just my personal preference for how I step, lol

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #18
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
LMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
popsicle_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
NeoMasterPie
Forum User

first of all, play your own files and change stuff that feels awkward. if it feels awkward and unfun for you then chances are it does for everyone else.

not everything has to revolve around pitch relevancy, either - if your patterns are shit then people will be too focused on that to notice that the pitch relevancy is great

NeoMasterPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #20
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

think of your index fingers as your feet.

if it's awkward, then it's not indexable