Superbearhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:48 PM   #22
Leo137
FFR Player

Default Re: What are the best simfile packs released after 2010

skwids because those are pretty gay

i actually liked ffr seasonals, i think they are great for starters

hi19hi19 pack 3 & 4 were also pretty great

yolomanias are just fun if you like playing difficult stuff rather than creative files, smoc7&8 were also good, nb goes by the same tonic but i felt nb5 was more open to new things than ever

despite of all the buzz, i didn't enjoyed odi3 that much, i don't return to it too much these days

Last edited by Leo137; 04-20-2016 at 05:55 PM..
Leo137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #23
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MooMoo_Cowfreak

Yolomanias
MooMoo_Cowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:18 PM   #24
cedolad
moonchild~
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to cedolad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam-Dude View Post
if you haven't already checked out my thread, here's a link to it (also in my forum signature)

wow no one is even remotely grateful that I compiled 5 ffr season packs in a row, not to mention all the other packs I've worked on. the point of the packs were to have certain files appeal to a wide variety of people—you're obviously not going to like every single file due to song choice, type of file, etc. because I purposely tried to take in all different kinds of files. that's precisely why my judging was fairly lax, because I wanted more opportunity for people to get files in, especially those that didn't normally step stuff or were too scared/reluctant to submit stuff. I was also trying to stray away from the previous elitism brought upon by the so-called chancellors or whatever the fuck you want to call them, because at that point every file had to follow a strict and formulated style of charting, leaning more towards being full on art bullshit files aka everyone tried to be kil or some shit.

I almost feel like we've taken a step backwards and have gone back down to the same path because nowadays the majority of pack releases are formulated around being stamina fragondorce dj shrapnel jump hand stream dump shit, save for the couple packs like Untitled SM Pack, Stepping Stones, ODI3, and others.

well in the end, I stopped doing the 4key "community" pack thing after realizing that no one was remotely grateful for the packs I was putting out. all wasted effort tbh

tl;dr waw no one plays my packs I'm being a whiny bitch ass *****
Whoa man I wasn't trying to degrade what you did. Just during that era step files weren't anything spectacular.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:35 PM   #25
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedolad View Post
Whoa man I wasn't trying to degrade what you did. Just during that era step files weren't anything spectacular.
implying charts during the current era are?
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #26
choof
Banned

the biggest issue I've had with recent packs is that all of the charts are super formulaic; this is exactly why the charts that I release are experimental, use different genres of music, or both.

look at my review of yolo4
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...9&postcount=77

the charts that I gave decent scores to I've totally forgotten, and the charts that I do remember, I remember them as... jumpstream with one or two interesting sections.
I get that scoring is a huge part of stepmania now, but the element of fun doesn't come from the charts themselves anymore, it comes from getting a certain score on a certain jumpstream chart.

at least with the ffr seasons packs there are more interesting approaches to charting than fucking jumpstream ad nauseum. you had a ton of people making differing charts, a wide variety of different music, and there were actually people who had such a unique approach to charts that you would play one and go "hmm yep this is a rogdor/gd/choof/kommi file."
you guys ever play the mystery packs? the premise behind those was that people sent charts in, and the pack was released with all of the cdtitles removed. players then had to guess who charted what.

a mystery pack nowadays wouldn't work at all, everything would be a shot in the dark because the current meta has nothing to do with being fresh and interesting. it has to do with shitting out boring charts that appeal to the least common denominator.

feel free to complain about the ffr season packs, but realize and respect that the ffr season packs had style. all packs have now is scoring.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #27
choof
Banned

xay's recent pack is a breath of fresh air, a ton of unique charts from one of those dudes I mentioned that had a distinct style.

and guess what? I've barely seen a goddamned score from that pack, but I've seen at least 3 scores on cyber induction in the past fucking week
Old 04-20-2016, 06:57 PM   #28
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I have to agree with the above sentiment. I find that files I step that take different than normal approaches are rarely played, at least by evidence of the scores people post. I find awkward, unusual, or a rhythmically-varied songs more fun to play, as there's greater room for improvement, while straightforward files seem to be more about how well one can shave off greats or perfects on already well-scored files. To me I find that stale and I can't fathom myself being entertained endlessly by that approach - even with rates. I do wish people would be more accepting of other types of charts and prove that fact by posting more scores on such songs.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:01 PM   #29
choof
Banned

Quote:
leaning more towards being full on art bullshit files aka everyone tried to be kil or some shit.
icyworld is this era's kil
Old 04-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #30
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MooMoo_Cowfreak

I prefer rhythmically interesting files that aren't just jumpstream the whole time, absolutely. Is the skill level really so high that people only find that interesting? Idk, what is the meta, and who decides it?

Choof and bmah people seem to be saying that it's if people post scores of your stuff, but what if your file was relatively easy and getting a great score on it doesn't really show off much? I don't think that means people didn't play it, or didn't enjoy it, just that they didn't feel the need to show off to the world that they did well on the chart.

Last edited by MooMoo_Cowfreak; 04-20-2016 at 07:13 PM..
MooMoo_Cowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #31
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

Jesus fuck, thank you choof

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:26 PM   #32
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Current SM metagame seems to be pushing speed boundaries and while I can appreciate trying to see how high the ceiling truly is, the files that are being pumped out to test this get boring kinda quickly. I've always found that I can have much longer sessions playing so-called 'accuracy' files because the pattern variety is so much more refreshing than 6 minutes of jumpstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
xay's recent pack is a breath of fresh air, a ton of unique charts from one of those dudes I mentioned that had a distinct style.

and guess what? I've barely seen a goddamned score from that pack, but I've seen at least 3 scores on cyber induction in the past fucking week
I jacked off to xay's pack on the forums when it first came out because it was such a breath of fresh air (and the song choice is fucking on point). I do enjoy playing speedier stuff in moderation but I'll forever have a better time playing stuff in xay's pack or the FFRCPs (which contributes to me being a pretty slow D7 guy but fuck it idc that much). I rarely post scores for anything I get on SM because of what others have articulated in this thread, but this score's p fuccen good imo so I'll poast here 4 u chooby : ^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #33
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post

Agree 100% with this.

I've always loved wacky outside the box files, Linus + cetaka were so good at this. Now it's guys like you (choof), leonid (make more files dude pls), Xayphon, bmah, some of Icy's recent and not popular charts, and idk...there really aren't many that make interesting charts anymore. The majority are fun as fuck and have good challenge/skill-building to them but nothing that jumps out at you.

That being said the FFR Seasonal Packs had a ton of unappealing music, I've always shied away from the J-Pop stuff and there really is a lot of it in FFR Seasonal. There is the occasional gem like Autumn Insomnia, Szycag, Vortex, Miku, but a lot of those are from dudes I already mentioned. Just a preference for me is all.

tl;dr the experimental files are there you just have to look for them, saturating with generic stuff is here to stay so w/e

edit: still don't get all the kil hate the dude made some glorious charts back in the day, y'all just mad

edit2: holy shit rob that is a sexy ~ score

Last edited by Dynam0; 04-20-2016 at 07:53 PM..
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:51 PM   #34
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I don't know why players are so keen on playing files that test speed so linearly through straight streaming and jumpstreaming. Files like Robotomy and Verse IV are clearly testing speed too, but 9/10 players will opt for playing the 1.3 Sharpnel marathon instead.

I guess it's mainly a numbers game at this point. You can't really pinpoint how fast you're going in a technical/burst file, despite speed clearly being tested. People want to be able to match their scores with specific bpms, so they opt for playing the streaming marathons (I'm guessing?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno

Last edited by One Winged Angel; 04-20-2016 at 07:52 PM..
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:52 PM   #35
bboyflames
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindreper1179 View Post
Very seldom. Im doing great, I see that's what happened to the music. =P nice to see you pop in.
Glad to hear things are going well for you. Ah! the mixes... yea, so I sort of lost interest for a while. The main reason being I wasn't being true to what music I truly enjoyed. I was just pumping out mixes weekly to please the fans. It became a chore. The second reason is what you stated. I started working full time and got back into a committed relationship.

HOWEVER, I recently bought a new mixer and started mixing a bit again. If I get serious about it, I may start posting mixes to YouTube again but not under the same account. DJ Johnny Blaze is pretty much dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Bboy out of nowhere

Every time I hear Daft Punk I think of your shuffling vids

Which old packs you got, by chance? I am curious if you have the (real) BMR pack and not the fake stuff currently being hosted everywhere.
Hey! Fun fact... I still shuffle when I go out to events (which is every 1-2 months). The Trance family here is stronger than ever and amazing artist are flying in very frequently.

I do not have any BMR packs. Sorry dude! but good luck on your search.

Last edited by bboyflames; 04-20-2016 at 07:53 PM..
bboyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:52 PM   #36
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Quote:
well in the end, I stopped doing the 4key "community" pack thing after realizing that no one was remotely grateful for the packs I was putting out. all wasted effort tbh
I really liked them. so when you say "no one" it's kind of alienating, fam...
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:55 PM   #37
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboyflames View Post
The Trance family here is stronger than ever and amazing artist are flying in very frequently.
Oh damn, were you at ASOT in January?? I would've ran into ya
Digital Dreams next xD

Last edited by Dynam0; 04-20-2016 at 07:55 PM..
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:56 PM   #38
bboyflames
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
Current SM metagame seems to be pushing speed boundaries and while I can appreciate trying to see how high the ceiling truly is, the files that are being pumped out to test this get boring kinda quickly. I've always found that I can have much longer sessions playing so-called 'accuracy' files because the pattern variety is so much more refreshing than 6 minutes of jumpstream.

I jacked off to xay's pack on the forums when it first came out because it was such a breath of fresh air (and the song choice is fucking on point). I do enjoy playing speedier stuff in moderation but I'll forever have a better time playing stuff in xay's pack or the FFRCPs (which contributes to me being a pretty slow D7 guy but fuck it idc that much). I rarely post scores for anything I get on SM because of what others have articulated in this thread, but this score's p fuccen good imo so I'll poast here 4 u chooby : ^)

Link to said "Xay pack" please.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #39
bboyflames
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
Oh damn, were you at ASOT in January?? I would've ran into ya
Digital Dreams next xD
Dude! Of course i was there!

Solid Stone, Ben Gold & Standerwick absolutely slayed. I am actually briefly in the beginning of the official ASOT recap video along with my girlfriend and one other friend.

I was disappointed by the other artists (looking at your Armin)

PS: See you at DD =0]

Last edited by bboyflames; 04-20-2016 at 08:07 PM..
Old 04-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #40
Contrapasso
FFR Player

http://stepmaniaonline.net/downloads...ll%20Pill).zip
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPopadopalis25 View Post
Agreed. Same reason why I know god is real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghakimx View Post
If I was the officer, if I saw the guy, I would try to assess the situation properly. What is the race of the guy?
Contrapasso is offline   Reply With Quote