Old 10-21-2016, 12:41 PM   #261
t-rogdor
tane orb
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor
Default Re: MOVEZ (SUBMISSIONS CLOSED, WORKIN ON THE REST. NOVEMBER.)

With Hyena, I'm not like, sure. I have to sit down and think about it because every good pack needs at least one crazy dump file, but at the same time God Damn.

Blastix, I mean, leonid put in the work and did everything I asked him to, so I'm definitely keeping my review at a hard accept. I'm gonna find a 3rd judge to look EXCLUSIVELY at the files that have a 50/50 split on judgments so we can have a tiebreaker. I'll let you know how that plays out once I find someone (o:
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.

Last edited by t-rogdor; 10-21-2016 at 12:42 PM..
t-rogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #262
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
With Hyena, I'm not like, sure. I have to sit down and think about it because every good pack needs at least one crazy dump file, but at the same time God Damn.

Blastix, I mean, leonid put in the work and did everything I asked him to, so I'm definitely keeping my review at a hard accept. I'm gonna find a 3rd judge to look EXCLUSIVELY at the files that have a 50/50 split on judgments so we can have a tiebreaker. I'll let you know how that plays out once I find someone (o:
Also, Blastix Riotz changing it to an accept.

James May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #263
Celirra
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Celirra

Quote:

If you want a crazy dump file I may have a better alternative for you, I'll send that and you can choose from there (they're about the same quality, both dump-y but different-ish styles).
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Celirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #264
sunn0glasses
FFR Player

Default Re: MOVEZ (FILES TILL OCT. 10TH, ON HIATUS TILL OCT. 9TH)

Quote:

Choco Love (Some kinda remix)-
So a lot of this file rules! in fact everything after 72.025 is really fun and I don't have a lot of huge issues with it other than some awkward patterns and ghost notes, but like, everything before it has a lot going on that I need to point out. I like this file and could totally see it in the pack tho.
@12.963/13.338: don't totally get why these are jumps
@15.775: 32nd triplets are weird but i'll allow them considering vocals. It doesn't **SOUND** like 32nds at 1x rate though, so I'd recommend changing them from triplets to gallops by getting rid of the 16th notes. Will in the end make it flow better.
@21.025: don't really feel those 64ths

-on the whole in the intro section (and the points where it repeats), i get and appreciate the "only stepping the vocals" thing, but you're kinda inconsistent with it, and jump placement makes it confusing since you're half expecting notes to drums. It also ends up feeling a little empty. IMO, either step some of the drums, or change up the patterns to make it feel more natural that you're just hitting notes to the vox

@36.447: not sure what that 32nd goes to
@37.338: double for those 24ths
@37.900: those don't /really/ need to be jumps
@41.838: awkward pattern, especially considering mines
@43.900: just like above, maybe just a 32nd gallop
@51.822: ghost note
@56.135: ghost note
@161.088: ghost notes
@168.213: i know those 32nds go to the kinda quiet synth in the bg but they're pretty awkwardly placed, so I'd get rid of em or change the pattern.
@168.400: that held note actually changes melodically on every 8th note after it, it's not just one long sustained quarter note. also the patterns in this section (jumpstreams/hands on held notes) is a bit iffy. that one's up to you but it's not the most fun thing (especially with those 32nd triplets)
@171.072: 32nd is a ghost note

That seems like a lot but tbh this file's fun and it also appears to make heavy use of right/left channel fuckery (just assuming based on the waveform) and I only have a left channel at the moment so, yknow, take that all with a grain of salt. Just touch the beginning up a little and double check for ghost notes and you're solid.

NOSTALGIA (RUSTIE EDIT)-
yknow I'm judging this batch without looking at who made each file and this is, across the entire history of the pack, like the 4th file that I've started up and thought "is this just lurker fucking with me" lmao. anyway.

For a straight jumpstream file this is pretty solid. Not my cup of tea but I only have like 3 or 4 things I wanna point out.
Sync's slightly off. first beat should come in at 0.052
@42.405: i actually like the holds being stepped like this, it's cool, but it makes an issue later on @59.356, with the piano notes. The holds are cool and all, but stepping one part of the piano melody and then cutting it off just for quad note holds isn't really worth how weird that feels. This one's subjective and totally up to you, but it'd be cool if the holds were just 2 note holds and the piano melody was actually stepped.

@108.415: these don't really need to be minifreezes

@110.179 and onward: I don't *totally* get why all of a sudden the extra jumps come in? I mean climax theory for sure but it's kinda lost on me. Not gonna ask you to change it, but maybe some clarification would b cool lol
@126.238: the piano notes were minifreezes earlier, so either add em here or remove em earlier. also there's a 24th note jump at @126.709 that shouldn't be there.

Other than that, solid JS file. Can't really find a reason to say no. Just look over what I asked ya to and ***MAYBE*** think about cutting it down to somewhere closer to 2:00-2:30

Hack The Club Feat. Snappy Jit (Lolica Tonica Remix) -
Yo dude this SM file is completely blank

Positif (Masayoshi Iimori Bootleg)-
-would like some more jump layering in 43.085 thru 46.810
-please don't make the 48ths at 64.603 trills
=@118.810 it'd be cool if you kept up the 12th note jumps instead of doing the 48th hi-hat rolls, but if you wanna keep those 48ths, again, please not as trills
-@223.499 anything but that pattern please lmao

either way this file rules, song's totally unexpected, would just like to see those things addressed + also maybe the time cut down a lil (considering the song just loops except for the ending bit). Neato.

START AGAIN-
SM's blank again lmao

TWISTSTEP-
YEAH OKAY SEE, THIS IS HOW YOU DO OVERLAYERING AS AN AESTHETIC CHOICE IN A CHART, THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT. GREAT. THIS IS WHAT IT MEANS TO BE EXPRESSIVE. NO ONE REMEMBERS THE SUBJECTIVEMANIAS ERA BUT BABY IT'S HERE TO STAY. WOO. STEPMANIA.
ayyyye im stoked on all this. glad to have positif and twiststep in the pack. i'm gonna edit positif a bit, maaaybe shorten it so it doesn't repeat so blatantly. glad ya'll liked twiststep so much! if theres any fixes you or james may can spot, i'll give it a fix up, but other than that i just want to add a 16th note that i keep hearing as missing in the beginning of the song.

choco love - thnx so much for the thorough notes, ima go through and fix this jammy. gonna pretty much agree with all your points bc this was one of my earlier files and its definitely still rough all around, but i'd love to see this get a nice unanimous GREEN TEXT ACCEPTORONI so lemme fix it

about Nostalgia - i'll look at those notes more closely and try to fix the file up, but yea, the ending is pretty jarring with the sudden increase in jumptrills and i dont want it to stay like that. so i was thinking (please stop me if this is a bad idea) maybe i can have 2 difficulties - the heavy chart would be what it is now, but without the extra jumptrills at the ending and just a chill (but climax-y) ending. and then i'd do an oni chart that is more consistently jumptrilly from the main 'drop' thru to the ending as it is in the heavy right now. these are things i wanted to do for the file regardless of if it gets accepted in movez. but if it aint gonna work, nbd. unless james may changes his mind after i do these fixes

so, that makes for 2 accepts and 2 maybes from me. about those blank files tho - real sorry about that lol. at the time i sent it, i didnt realize those sm files were fuxked up. but ive got em fixed and playable. if you guys want, i can resend those 2 broken files, but i'm cool with my files you all accepted and critiqued so far. i'll send em if u want em, but otherwise, im just gonna work on those edits

edit: also, i swear i'm not lurker and i have no idea who that is, i just joined ffr like 5 months ago heh

Last edited by sunn0glasses; 10-21-2016 at 03:51 PM..
sunn0glasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #265
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MooMoo_Cowfreak

Hey Trogdor, you mentioned technical notes for Shinsekai quite a while back, just wondering if you were still planning on doing this. I do have some revisions in mind, but I wanna see what you're thoughts are before getting started.

post-dumps abstractly represent the existential nihilism that the song invokes in the listener with negative space, evoking the ephemeral nature of the mind - the journey of stepmania begins in hope yet soon becomes corroded into a dialectic of futility, leaving only a sense of dread and the unlikelihood of a new synthesis
MooMoo_Cowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #266
t-rogdor
tane orb

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor

ay if you wanna send in those 2 broken files and fix up the other ones be my guest! remember there's a 4 file per person limit on this pack, so if all of those get accepted you're either gonna have to pick 2 you don't want in the pack, or let us pick

also moomoo: I'm getting around to Sensation today. I'm working on 20 things at the moment and I've gotta go pick up a handle of vodka in like a half hour, but late tonight I'll have notes for you. Preemptively gonna let u know the file's cool as hell and has a lot of potential but there's some in depth stuff I wanna point out before we can move forward. u be good bb. also yeah i'll give u those technical notes later tonight too.
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.

Last edited by t-rogdor; 10-21-2016 at 04:35 PM..
t-rogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:29 PM   #267
James May
FFR Player

In regards to the pad chart for Blu-Bird, since the Pad chart got accepted in DDRNGGin's review, do you want to keep the pad chart in the pack or...?

Old 10-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #268
sunn0glasses
FFR Player

sent those 2 broken files, just cuz
Old 10-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #269
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
In regards to the pad chart for Blu-Bird, since the Pad chart got accepted in DDRNGGin's review, do you want to keep the pad chart in the pack or...?
the pad/index chart was there as an added bonus. If you don't accept the keyboard chart, don't accept the other.
Arntonach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:24 PM   #270
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Sent minor fixes for blastix and haele.

ps AA'd blastix and FC'd haele :')

Proud member of Team No

Last edited by leonid; 10-22-2016 at 05:25 PM..
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:26 AM   #271
James May
FFR Player

Got the stuff. Will deal with them tomorrow.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:35 PM   #272
sunn0glasses
FFR Player

sent edits for choco love, nostalgia, positif, and twiststep (just added one 16th note)
Old 10-26-2016, 08:02 PM   #273
James May
FFR Player

Okay, so looking at sunn0glasses' files he sent, here are the four that I think should be in the pack:
- Positif
- TWISTSTEP
- Choco Love
- Hack the Club

Moving Choco Love up to Accept and Accepting Hack the Club. Start Again in reject because it felt cluttered and overlayered for me. It's not a bad file but there are certain spots that there are arrows that don't go to the flow of the song.

Accept
Hack the Club
Choco Love

Reject
Start Again

Old 10-26-2016, 08:03 PM   #274
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

You put my updated files from the 22nd in the pack right?

Hows the plans with GFX

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #275
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
You put my updated files from the 22nd in the pack right?

Hows the plans with GFX
I got it

Old 10-26-2016, 08:18 PM   #276
~Zero~
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ~Zero~ Send a message via Skype™ to ~Zero~

I still need to send my fixes for my file, and updated my cdtitle - so I will wait until the title is done before i send the fixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaounlimited View Post
More like Tier ~0~
~Zero~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:20 PM   #277
sunn0glasses
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Okay, so looking at sunn0glasses' files he sent, here are the four that I think should be in the pack:
- Positif
- TWISTSTEP
- Choco Love
- Hack the Club

Moving Choco Love up to Accept and Accepting Hack the Club. Start Again in reject because it felt cluttered and overlayered for me. It's not a bad file but there are certain spots that there are arrows that don't go to the flow of the song.

Accept
Hack the Club
Choco Love

Reject
Start Again
sounds good to me!

lemme know if theres anything in hack the club that needs fixin
Old 10-26-2016, 09:04 PM   #278
lurker
ur worst nitemare

Hey guys, it's me. I know some of the newer folks don't know me very well, so perhaps this post won't have as much influence as it would've maybe two or three years ago. Nevertheless:

I'd like to think that I have consistently been able to tell what was right for the community. Sure, I may not have had the power to effect change within the community, but I rest assured that if I had it my way, StepMania (and perhaps rhythm games as a whole) would be way better off. Anyway, I have thought about this ever since this pack was announced, and I have come to only one conclusion: this pack cannot go on.

Now, this is not a uniform condemnation of anyone who put time and effort into this pack and the files within it. However, I believe that this pack stands too strongly for the dated, elitist values that defined the early history of FlashFlashRevolution's StepMania-playing userbase up until the creation of NBJS 5. These values have been proven to be unfit for a thriving community by the examples of FFR Community Megapack 4, ODIPack 3, and the more recent Untitled StepMania Pack and StepMania Revival Pack. Using those examples, just about anyone can see the likely fate of this pack: an anemic, half-hearted mess that no one in the intended audience will rate highly, and everyone outside of that audience will ignore because it is simply too easy.

In addition, the mere organization of these projects have proven time and time again to stifle further developments within the community. Newer chart creators find themselves either forced to submit to these packs (almost always resulting in rejection due to not having the ability to immediately deduce what songs, layering, etc are acceptable by the judges) or ignored when they try releasing anything outside of this dated system. How are the Travis Fleshers and Soul Evanses of the community supposed to develop further if they're immediately denied any chance of having their files played?

Therefore, I implore you to immediately suspend your pack, and free all of the files which have been submitted thus far. I would (sadly) discourage people from releasing files that were accepted for this project, since they are inherently tainted with the usual prejudices within this community. However, I would encourage anyone, regardless of whether or not their files were accepted to this pack, to submit to projects by new users such as Soul Evans' current one. Be prepared, however: if you're used to having your files accepted by packs and Soul Evans rejects your files, you'll have to examine your biases and wonder if your files are actually as good as you think they are.

Last edited by lurker; 10-26-2016 at 09:05 PM..
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:16 PM   #279
-Tim-
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via Skype™ to -Tim-

paqs cancel

-Tim- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:18 PM   #280
sunn0glasses
FFR Player

wait wat

if theres a joke here its goin right over my head

Last edited by sunn0glasses; 10-27-2016 at 11:57 AM..