Old 08-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #1841
foxfire667
The FFRchiver
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
Cons:
- My DP 8-0-0-1, Revolutionary Etude AAA and RATO 23-1-0-3 don't mean anything. Oh wait, nobody gives a shit about those files.
I would imagine that the top 200 and everything else would still exist, but that it just wouldn't be calculated towards your average rank. They would probably be the equivalent of token song scores: you play them for fun, and sometimes you go out of your way to get a good score...but it really isn't important for anything other than the satisfaction of doing so. Sick scores will be sick regardless.

I personally wouldn't mind this too much, because then when overkill charts get released, I could just play the chart for fun and keep my average rank. Plus then I can show off my pa scores for new 90+ releases, instead of having to sacrifice cleaner runs for FC'd ones (since they wouldn't count towards anything). Or of course raw scoring could just be implemented, but I don't think I'll ever see the day that happens honestly.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #1842
Zakvvv666
I catch fruit
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

If this gets done, remove legacy files from avrank too as Middie suggested, sure they're nice for nostalgia, but not many want to go out of their way to AAA them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
I'll bid a single erotic yet safe-for-work photo of me posing while wearing my Piplup hat while sucking on a blueberry lollipop with my mouth partially open so you can see the lollipop color to verify it's blueberryness.

Disclaimer: This photo is not guaranteed to cause pleasure.

Zakvvv666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #1843
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666 View Post
If this gets done, remove legacy files from avrank too as Middie suggested, sure they're nice for nostalgia, but not many want to go out of their way to AAA them.
IMO this is a separate idea, one which should have been done already, but a separate idea nonetheless.
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #1844
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

^^ Separate but also important.

I don't know how I feel about removing 90+ from level ranks. To be honest, although it is a mashfest for ranks on those songs (uhh, make level ranks raw scoring instead, problem solved), you can still use those songs to gauge the levels of the top-tier players, who have to use those files to compete. I guess overall I'm indifferent about the topic.

On the issue of Synthlight songs, I seriously agree that they should be removed from ranks. In my honest opinion, something like a profile badge (yoohoo attention please staff~, since these are obviously code-able on a pretty simple level) saying you AAA'd all the Synthlight files or something would still reward those that take the time to do so, without it plaguing everyone else's ranks.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #1845
Netjet!
Sic itur ad astra

Send a message via AIM to Netjet! Send a message via Skype™ to Netjet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_ator View Post

On the issue of Synthlight songs, I seriously agree that they should be removed from ranks. In my honest opinion, something like a profile badge (yoohoo attention please staff~, since these are obviously code-able on a pretty simple level) saying you AAA'd all the Synthlight files or something would still reward those that take the time to do so, without it plaguing everyone else's ranks.
Why not move them to token level ranks and award an actual token for AAA'ing all of them?
Old 08-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #1846
justin_ator
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

That would work too, but someone would have to have some ideas in place for the token(s). Something that was mentioned a bit back was v2's of a few of them, etc. But I do think a profile badge for AAA'ing all synth files would be chill.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #1847
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netjet! View Post
Why not move them to token level ranks and award an actual token for AAA'ing all of them?
I suggest multiple tokens, not just an all or nothing deal. Maybe have another token for SDG'ing all of them as well, or AAA'ing 5 or 10 of them, ect, getting them all under 1k rank and other goals. If the only token is to AAA them all, I feel fewer people would try.

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #1848
Sidek
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

add more noteskins.. and new mods to play example distant.hallway,etc etc.
Sidek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:02 AM   #1849
nois-or-e
SponCon Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to nois-or-e Send a message via MSN to nois-or-e Send a message via Skype™ to nois-or-e

If there is interest for making a synthfile AAA token, I can draw up something with a decent synthfile V2 or something. I know there are a few steppers planning some v2s in the near future.
nois-or-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-9-2012, 08:30 PM   #1850
alloyus
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
FFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

-1 for the 90+s to be removed from the level ranks. You could use the same argument for say 70+s because even then there are plenty of players who have to mash them to pass.

On a side note, please please please take away the automatically going to the newest post thing when you click a thread. It is so unbelievably aggravating. I'd rather scroll down x times until I'm caught up to where I am than have to scroll up through stuff I know I haven't read yet especially when I actually have to go back a page because all the posts on the last page are new BUT YOU DON'T KNOW BECAUSE IT GOES TO THE BOTTOM.

^FFP_D0pey btw
alloyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-9-2012, 08:36 PM   #1851
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloyus View Post
-1 for the 90+s to be removed from the level ranks. You could use the same argument for say 70+s because even then there are plenty of players who have to mash them to pass.

On a side note, please please please take away the automatically going to the newest post thing when you click a thread. It is so unbelievably aggravating. I'd rather scroll down x times until I'm caught up to where I am than have to scroll up through stuff I know I haven't read yet especially when I actually have to go back a page because all the posts on the last page are new BUT YOU DON'T KNOW BECAUSE IT GOES TO THE BOTTOM.
It's really useful if you use linear mode ;~;
None of the other modes make sense to me.

also, -1 for the 90+ thing as well
Old 09-9-2012, 08:37 PM   #1852
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nois-or-e View Post
If there is interest for making a synthfile AAA token, I can draw up something with a decent synthfile V2 or something. I know there are a few steppers planning some v2s in the near future.
does this mean AAAing all synthfiles = token?

synthfiles being BNS songs, or files made by Synth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
popsicle_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-9-2012, 08:45 PM   #1853
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nois-or-e View Post
AAA=V2?
Like, every synthfile u aaa u get the v2?
Which, I know would be kinda asinine but eh.

Is it possible to make this go backwards?
Like, when available, we replace all the public v1 synth files with the v2 ones, and when we AAA(or achieve a certain score) we unlock the v1 Synth file.
excluding the ones that already have v2s
Old 09-10-2012, 02:09 AM   #1854
jprox445
FFR Player

I suggest a feature for FFR that "SHOULD" be here already.
Being able to check more then one replay off and delete them at the same time.
hate having 200+ replays and having to wipe them all just because I don't want to spend 20 minutes going through them all.

EDIT:
There should be a special token or Badge for people who AAA all legacy songs excluding OMW and Revo.

EDIT 2: Please don't remove 90+ form average ranks... It may be unsatisfying to have such horrible scores on it but when you actually get better at FFR and can actually play the files, you have a somewhat sense of Accomplishment from it.

EDIT 3: AAA page 1 = token, AAA page 2 = token, AAA page 3 = token, etc etc... I think you get the point.

Last edited by jprox445; 09-10-2012 at 02:46 AM..
jprox445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:13 AM   #1855
foxfire667
The FFRchiver
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Being able to delete more than one replay at once would be awesome. When I approach 150 I tend to delete songs of a certain difficulty level or lower from my replays, so this would be great for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprox445 View Post
EDIT 2: Please don't remove 90+ form average ranks... It may be unsatisfying to have such horrible scores on it but when you actually get better at FFR and can actually play the files, you have a somewhat sense of Accomplishment from it.
You should feel accomplished regardless of whether or not they are in your level ranks (hence why people play StepMania or alternative engines I would imagine). I honestly feel though that the issue is more with the way FFR scores files than with the files themselves. I don't understand why FFR still uses combo scoring instead of raw scoring for it's results, considering how terrible combo scoring is in terms of representing a player's skill. FFR already records raw scores onto leader-boards, so why can't it be used to determine average ranks? It isn't like anything would even have to change, grand total could still go to your GTS, and RAW scoring could go to your average rank (considering average rank should be a skillful thing to achieve). Just my two cents on the matter.

On a completely different note:
I think there should be an option implemented that restricts the amount of rows the "Recent Photos" tab shows. The way it is set up currently, every single picture you ever uploaded to FFR shows up, which is rather unnecessary. I suggest a setting in the style editor, like this example:

This way the profiles look a lot more neat, and gives the "View All" button an actual purpose.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:26 AM   #1856
jprox445
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire667 View Post
You should feel accomplished regardless of whether or not they are in your level ranks (hence why people play StepMania or alternative engines I would imagine). I honestly feel though that the issue is more with the way FFR scores files than with the files themselves. I don't understand why FFR still uses combo scoring instead of raw scoring for it's results, considering how terrible combo scoring is in terms of representing a player's skill. FFR already records raw scores onto leader-boards, so why can't it be used to determine average ranks? It isn't like anything would even have to change, grand total could still go to your GTS, and RAW scoring could go to your average rank (considering average rank should be a skillful thing to achieve). Just my two cents on the matter.
I see your point there.
but I don't think they would implement raw scoring into the game anyway..
too many people would start bitching at the change.
jprox445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #1857
Hazelle
Let's GO.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Hazelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprox445 View Post
I see your point there.
but I don't think they would implement raw scoring into the game anyway..
too many people would start bitching at the change.
Eh I dunno, there's raw scoring in MP and it's kinda nice knowing you win by actual skill instead of by mash fest in some match-ups. It'd be nice if FFR was revolved more around skill and not "luck", meaning not around "oh I mashed a 300 combo on a 98 level song - too bad that wont happen again".
Which is why I try to stay away from higher level songs that I can't play.
Hazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #1858
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire states the ugly truth
I don't understand why FFR still uses combo scoring instead of raw scoring for it's results, considering how terrible combo scoring is in terms of representing a player's skill.
OMG. He said it. ∑(O_O;)

IMO, I feel like level ranks and scoring are notions only experimented players are able to grasp and that it may not be attracting to beginners. Though it has some really nice advantages and I believe it is a great motivation for improving at the game.

Now I feel like we should split the official FFR engine in two, where one section would have the official songs that would count towards the rankings, and the other one could regroup songs that are in the game for practice purposes or fun factor that would not influence anything. This way, we could have V2's of the blue note files in one section and V1's could be unlocked in the other one.

Hell, the practice section could even include warmup songs, joke songs like Vrofl or *Whimper Wall*, tournament songs and even stepfiles that are currently in the submission queue. There's more to think of but as of now, this would solve many current issues.
Crazyjayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #1859
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

yeah, combo scoring is how ffr has always been. not a fan at all of changing that.
it's true, lvl ranks only really start mattering when you get better. for years all it was for me was FCing songs. now, my main motivator is AAAing and lowering ranks

Quote:
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
popsicle_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #1860
justin_ator
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire667 View Post
On a completely different note:
I think there should be an option implemented that restricts the amount of rows the "Recent Photos" tab shows. The way it is set up currently, every single picture you ever uploaded to FFR shows up, which is rather unnecessary. I suggest a setting in the style editor, like this example:

This way the profiles look a lot more neat, and gives the "View All" button an actual purpose.
Going to go against the grain and talk about this part of your post instead of the rest;

When Velo made the v2 profile style, he didn't account for how many show up. On the v1 style, it only DOES display one row, the four most recent. So while I agree that it'd be nice, I don't think it's a huge issue considering the photos don't show anyway unless you're using the Media Tab (which is specifically for video/photos anyway) on the second layout style. I see your point, and +1 your suggestion, just throwing this out there anyway.