Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #61
funmonkey54
The Chill Keeper
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to funmonkey54
Default Re: Hasn't been a day since the new pope was elected and we already have to witness t

lol at the idea that Jesus told slaves to obey their masters because he supported slavery

I suppose when he said to pay your taxes it was because he supported the Christian-slaying government too?

Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #62
DarkManticoreX2
TWG Overlord
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DarkManticoreX2
Default Re: Hasn't been a day since the new pope was elected and we already have to witness t

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
They refer to things clearly stated in the bible that were changed.

Slavery is right there in the new testament too. Jesus even addressed slaves directly to tell them to serve their masters on earth as loyally as they serve God in heaven.

So yeah.
The particular quote you're refrencing Devo is fairly often misquoted. Jesus was asked by a fellow Jew about the legality of slavery. The Jewish slaves of Jesus' time were mostly indentured servants under other Jews. Poor/needy jews would sell themselves into slavery to others for food/housing/income at a negotiable price per year. The Jews of Jesus time had what was known as the "year of jubilee (sp?)" every 7 years where all debts were cleared. Including the end of indentured servatude.

Considering the slavery was earned in some of the cases. I.E. You lost a huge gambling debt to me, etc.. Jesus is essenially saying "You put youself in this situation, shut your piehole and serve your time".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
There's no (strong) rational argument for denying homosexual people equal civil rights. There are rational arguments but they're extraordinarily weak.
I would agree with this, if homosexuals want equal civil rights, I don't see a problem. The problem for most people comes from the coining of the term marriage. Which is defined as:

the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies.

The several "part B" definitions of the word where same gender wording comes into play wasn't added until the early 90's

Quote:
Originally Posted by V
Manti, I apologize for insulting you. Let the record show that I am a prickass douche, and not only that, but that I am a terrible player.

Last edited by DarkManticoreX2; 03-14-2013 at 08:36 PM..
Old 03-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #63
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Considering the obvious fact that increasingly lower percentages of the population are practicing Christians, the need for a progressive outlook on moral values should be integral in order for the religion to maintain growth.

As it stands now, at least in my eyes (and probably anyone else who is intelligent and can think for themselves) I see nothing attractive in becoming a member of the Catholic church other than the community aspect of it really. There are immense turn-offs from Christianity when you wake up and see what they actually stand for and value. With the current state of affairs, fewer people are converting to Christianity and it only seems to be an inherited religion rather than one that is sought after.

The interesting thing to consider though is that what if the Pope were to give the green light for homosexual marriages to be welcomed into the Catholic church? Sure all of the hardcore Catholics from the southern states and the old farts around the world would bitch and moan, but would that make them stop going to church? I doubt it...where would they go? Say they convert to another religion; great, that's just one less idiot purged from the Catholic faith.

It would be interesting to see how many people would find an attractiveness to the religion now. "Hey look! They actually give a shit about human rights and are willing to move on from outdated and immoral protocols!"

I don't think Catholicism is going to decline to the point of fading out, at least in the next thousand years or so. As already mentioned before, they are extremely rich and there will always be enough insecure people who need an answer to what lies after death, no matter how much of crock it is.

Last edited by Dynam0; 03-14-2013 at 08:33 PM..
Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #64
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkManticoreX2 View Post
The particular quote you're refrencing Devo is fairly often misquoted. Jesus was asked by a fellow Jew about the legality of slavery. The Jewish slaves of Jesus' time were mostly indentured servants under other Jews. Poor/needy jews would sell themselves into slavery to others for food/housing/income at a negotiable price per year. The Jews of Jesus time had what was known as the "year of jubilee (sp?)" every 7 years where all debts were cleared. Including the end of indentured servatude.

Considering the slavery was earned in some of the cases. I.E. You lost a huge gambling debt to me, etc.. Jesus is essenially saying "You put youself in this situation, shut your piehole and serve your time".

Okay, and how about

Quote:
22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
or

Quote:
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. 6 Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. 7 Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people,
Those apostles were all up ons continuing to support slavery and domination of men over women.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #65
adlp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

ITT the great 'minds of ffr' devonin and rubix tag team the same one sided discussion of the previous thread from last month while browsing r/atheism on reddit
Old 03-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #66
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

I don't reddit. Ewww.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #67
DarkManticoreX2
TWG Overlord
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DarkManticoreX2

There was slavery hardcore in old times don't get me wrong. When the Jews conquored other nations they put those bitches to work. I was just pointing out that particular quote.

I'd have to reference the passages you're referring to to give you clear-headed reasoning on the other two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V
Manti, I apologize for insulting you. Let the record show that I am a prickass douche, and not only that, but that I am a terrible player.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #68
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

The clear-headed reasoning is "The things they said in the bible were relevant to the time period in which they were written. Now that they aren't, they should rightfully be discarded outright as out of date and no longer applicable"

And anybody who thinks women not wearing pants or talking in church is a more serious issue than homosexuality is a crazy person.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #69
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ITT adlp is edgy

"Dont discuss and shut up cuz I dn like dat"

Last edited by Nullifidian; 03-14-2013 at 08:50 PM..
Old 03-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #70
NocturneAunamic
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to NocturneAunamic Send a message via MSN to NocturneAunamic Send a message via Skype™ to NocturneAunamic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkManticoreX2 View Post
There was slavery hardcore in old times don't get me wrong. When the Jews conquored other nations they put those bitches to work. I was just pointing out that particular quote.

I'd have to reference the passages you're referring to to give you clear-headed reasoning on the other two.
Ephesians 5:22
New International Version (NIV)

Colossians 3:22
New International Version (NIV)

Thread about the pope turns into religious debate, who'dve thunk it.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #71
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturneAunamic View Post
Thread about the pope turns into religious debate, who'dve thunk it.
More so equal rights for homosexuals and women which is of course, inhibited by religion.

Last edited by Nullifidian; 03-14-2013 at 08:53 PM..
Old 03-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #72
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

And adlp, and others like adlp, I'm very sure this has been said a million times but I'll say it again in this thread too.

No right-thinking person has a problem with religious people believing what they believe based on faith. I choose to require proof for my belief, you don't. I disagree with that, and feel like you are doing your opinions a disservice, but you can damn well believe anything you want as long as you keep it to yourself and don't try to force it on other people.

BUT your own faith is sufficient for only your own belief. Any time you assume that ANYBODY that isn't you is going to be moved by your faith, you are basically guaranteed to fail, and rightly so. Faith by its definition is an intensely personal thing.

If you want to be faithful, that's fine. I respect your right to be faithful. But you do not get to simply SKIP the part of actual rational human discourse where you have to present evidence to support your claims just because YOU don't need that proof.

If you don't have actual logical, rational, testable evidence to support your position, the only person to whom it can possibly count as a valid position is yourself.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #73
NocturneAunamic
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to NocturneAunamic Send a message via MSN to NocturneAunamic Send a message via Skype™ to NocturneAunamic

Most followers tend to only pick and choose what they wanna hear from the bible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ View Post
More so equal rights for homosexuals which is of course, inhibited by religion.
Vast majority of people who do not support homosexuality or the equal treatment of homosexuals and women justify their beliefs with religion. Although I've yet to really experience someone give me a logical explanation against equality without blind faith or scripture. I'd like to see someone stand to that.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #74
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

I don't see how you could convince yourself that people are inferior to you because a white robed biggot told you so
Old 03-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #75
FFRN00B90210
Banned

id like to reiterate that believing in a god is contrived and stupid

can someone lock this thread please

also everyone knows adlp only believes in god cuz of his family. as for everyone else theyre probably just dumb.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #76
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

no religious debate threads are the most entertaining because I get to read people's posts who have done research because i'm too lazy to
Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #77
NocturneAunamic
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFRN00B90210 View Post
id like to reiterate that believing in a god is contrived and stupid
Disagree completely.

Believing in a deity is assuring and calming of the mind for some.

The problem is imposing your beliefs onto others. Which, hey, whatdoyaknow, comes from some religions. But there definitely are believers that keep to themselves and respect other humans as humans.

EDIT: I'd like to restate that I do not believe in a deity currently, but would like to believe somewhere down in my older years when I've lived my life, I can experience other religions freely and find my peace of mind.

Last edited by NocturneAunamic; 03-14-2013 at 09:08 PM..
Old 03-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #78
FFRN00B90210
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturneAunamic View Post
Disagree completely.

Believing in a deity is assuring and calming of the mind for some.

The problem is imposing your beliefs onto others. Which, hey, whatdoyaknow, comes from some religions. But there definitely are believers that keep to themselves and respect other humans as humans.
no i am right you are just a lot less intelligent than i am i understand tho

ive decided im going to respond to every post in this thread from now on until its locked so u guys are gonna have to deal with it
Old 03-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #79
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

Quote:
They refer to things clearly stated in the bible that were changed.

Slavery is right there in the new testament too. Jesus even addressed slaves directly to tell them to serve their masters on earth as loyally as they serve God in heaven.

So yeah.
yes, since there was slavery in that time. One of the things comes up in the bible is respecting and submitting to authority. Paul was addressing slaves saying that they were under their master's authority, and reminding them to serve with a good heart.
I fail to see how this is related to the bible saying homosexuality is wrong tho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ View Post
Homophobia encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT). It can be expressed as antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, or hatred, and may be based on irrational fear.
Homophobia is observable in critical and hostile behavior such as discrimination and violence on the basis of sexual orientations that are non-heterosexual.

And you mean to tell me that discriminating homosexuality is not homophobia? Because that's what they're doing. Discriminating homosexuality.
I disagree with homosexuality as a way of life. everyone is entitled to their opinion. I hold no contempt, prejudice, aversion or hatred of homosexuals. I have homosexual friends. I treat them the same way as I do my hetero friends. God loves them identically to heterosexuals and so should I.

you really think i'm a homophobe?

It is appalling how some people treat homosexuals, and many of those people are christians. they do not reflect how God views them...

Quote:
Those apostles were all up ons continuing to support slavery and domination of men over women.
why does everyone keep referring to these passages in this context? Paul also said that husbands should love their wives as jesus loves the church. I'd hardly say that jesus enslaves and dominates the church...

Quote:
I am going to assume you misspoke, because no human should be able to say this without immediately recoiling with the words, "Wow, that was absurdly stupid and that came out wrong. What I really meant was..."
no, i meant all of that. In the Bible, homosexuality is a sin. Lying, stealing, adultery, etc... same thing. Sin distances you from God, thus, homosexuality distances you from God.

Quote:
People do not get their values from the Bible/God/etc. There's no way you can make a rational/consistent argument for this, btw. It's a losing position no matter how far you take it.
um how do you figure? The vast majority of my values come from the Bible. Integrity, not gossiping, kindness, etc... all taught in the bible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #80
NocturneAunamic
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFRN00B90210 View Post
no i am right you are just a lot less intelligent than i am i understand tho

ive decided im going to respond to every post in this thread from now on until its locked so u guys are gonna have to deal with it