Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > The Werewolf Game

Old 10-7-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
DarkManticoreX2
TWG Overlord
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DarkManticoreX2
Default Manti's Game Repair Station

What the title says. If you'd like me to critique your game, post it here and I'll do my best to break it and fix it.

If the game is intended to be a mystery game: PM it to me, give me notice however, because i might want to play in it.

Just to give you guys a basic idea of how a game should be built:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyMatrixCounter
An ideal game skeleton has the following factors:
1) An even number of players
2) No iron clad alliances to destroy activity
3) Enough game strategy to get people talking but not so much that people do not want to learn it's mechanics. (HINT: How you type up your idea will have an effect on how people think it'll play out. Make sure you're concise, not overly wordy, and explain every aspect well. Spelling and grammar never hurt anyone either XD)
4) Enough players to meet the demand of ACTIVE twg players. (I.E. do not run a 20 man game when only 12-14 players are actually active)
5) Above everything else, is fair to both wolves and humans (and third parties if applicable)
Along with a few other things
6) Ideally for every 4 players, there is one wolf.
7) You need a sufficently sized human pool for the wolves to hide in. (The only exception to this is a mystery game) Generally, half the players should be normal humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V
Manti, I apologize for insulting you. Let the record show that I am a prickass douche, and not only that, but that I am a terrible player.

Last edited by DarkManticoreX2; 10-9-2009 at 12:11 PM..
DarkManticoreX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-7-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
iggymatrixcounter
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to iggymatrixcounter
Default Re: Manti's Game Repair Station

Still waiting on you to look at my game XD. I'll most likely change it again since it's too complex to be a twg.

But expect an awesome FF7 style game from me at some point.
Old 10-7-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggymatrixcounter View Post
Still waiting on you to look at my game XD. I'll most likely change it again since it's too complex to be a twg.

But expect an awesome FF7 style game from me at some point.
You mean an RPG with turn-based fighting?

Yeah, that sounds really far off the TWG spectrum.
Old 10-8-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
Viccica
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Viccica Send a message via MSN to Viccica

FF7 sounds like a blast to me.. :3

I have a mystery game I'd like looked over, but it's on the school computer and I'm suspended at present so... =/

EDIT: Also, for your citique and tearing apart:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viccica View Post
Topsy Turvy

One day the TWG gang decides to go to the Carnival. Everything starts to go wrong in the random.org house of fun...

16 players

4 wolves

Ringleader- He's at the head of his little gang. Not big or brawny, but clearly the brains of the operation. Is always seered green. Sends in the wolf pm for the night.
Clown - It's like 'It' all over again. He's a psychotic mass-murderer who came to the carnival as a cover. Under that painted-on crimson smile lay the tales of a psychopath. Can choose to kill yourself and one other person at any point in the game.
Crystal Ball Psychic - Be careful coming near this guy. He's dangerous and a little crazy. Can seer one person per night phase.
Mime - No one likes mimes. They're just annoying copycats. He can only talk behind the scenes where no one can see, and can choose to copy one player's role at the cost of his vote the following day. If he targets the seer, he can choose his seering target the following night.

The House of Mirrors Carnie- Once she's got you in her maze of mirrors, she can darn near see into your soul. She'll know your color as it appears on the surface, but cannot tell if it's a lie or not.
Friendly Psychic - A kindly old Jamaican woman trying to scrounge by from night to night as a carnie. Is given the number of wolves left in the game at the beginning of every day phase.
The Bearded Lady - She's big. She's buff. She's hairy. She's not someone you want to mess with. Cannot be killed at night.
The Juggling Man- He never wanted to be a juggler for the carnival, but they didn't like him throwing his balls around an operating table much. At the cost of any activity in the thread including his vote for the day he may choose three targets to return to their true seer color.

The Fat Stubby Carnie - Is given three items at the start of the game which he cannot use. This carnie is generally a self-serving jerk trying to con you out of your money, so be careful of what his motives may be behind it all.

Food Stand Man - Is given 3 items at the beginning of the game which he cannot use. Depicted as a friendly old man, but be careful. He raised the fat stubbie carnie who gave you your ticket when you came in. He's bound to be a trickster.

6 normal humans
Note: At the beginning of the game, every person who is a non-wolf will be given a number from 1-4. This will represent the color they will be when they are seered. Wolves and blues are not aware of the colors they have recieved, normal humans, however, are told their own color.
1- Red
2- Blue
3- Purple
4- Green

Items:
The Fat Stubby Carnie:
Entrance Ticket - No one questions who the Fat Stubby Carnie lets into his fair. Gives you a one-time guard you can use at any point in the game. Effective against a lynch.
Stuffed Animal Prize - It's cute, cuddly and.. what? It's got fleas! You lose your night activity while you scrub yourself raw all night.
Kissing booth stub - When you redeem your kiss from the foxy young woman manning the booth, you feel untouchable and on top of the world. You get a one-time vigi. Don't wait too long to redeem your kiss, the next woman in line is called 'Large Marge' for a reason.
Carnie's whip - Can only be recieved if The Fat Stubby Carnie dies. In rejoice of his death, you decide to remodel. Can be used once to completely take the role of another person and switch it with your own.

The Food Stand Man:
Candy Apple - You will feel hyper and exhuberant after eating this apple. It makes your vote for the next day phase count for double.
Cotton Candy - This carnival has made you feel like a kid again. You've gotten in touch with your inner self and reverted back to the color you should be.
Rat on a stick - If you are given this, you've been severely, severely pranked. Your seer color changes to red automatically and you have no choice in the matter.
Black licorice - Oh, come on! No one likes black licorice. You lose your night activity due to excessive vomitting.

In view of current events in the banking market, does that refer to me or to you?

Sincerely,

Your Client
Eco Friendly
~Chu

Last edited by Viccica; 10-8-2009 at 11:15 AM..
Viccica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-8-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
Brilliant Dynamite Neon
nobody fiffers anymore.
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Brilliant Dynamite Neon Send a message via Yahoo to Brilliant Dynamite Neon

I have a dilemma with my game. I don't want to leave out my game from reviews, because you might find something others have missed, but it is a large game and I don't want to exclude yet another potential player from playing it.

Thanks for the memories, folks. u da bes
Brilliant Dynamite Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-8-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
DarkManticoreX2
TWG Overlord
FFR Veteran

Viccica: Topsy Turvey

Vic, This is how your game will break down:

Human Strategy Especially if the Clown's Vigi isn't real time. Most likely Day 1 the bearded lady will come out and start a four person alliance with the rest of the blues. Generally, the Neutrals will join this group, since they want to stay free of the lynch. This will lead to a six person alliance on day 1. It's too big of an alliance because the chance of hitting a wolf by blind luck at lynch time is something like 44% on day 1.

The mime will be easy to find, because people will watch for people that aren't posting, and humans will post to avoid being pinned as the mime.

The Clown is underpowered. Having to sacrifice himself to kill the the bearded lady is basically his only function.

I originally thought that the Crystal ball Psychic and House of mirrors Carnie were kinda useless. However, if they both compile a list at the beginning of the game of who claims what, and then compare their seering results to that list they can easily find liars without the juggling man fixing them.

Wolf Strategy The only wolf strategy i can see working is for the clown to claim to be some blue then blowing himself up on The Bearded Lady just before he's about to be lynched, hopefully sending the lynch on another human and killing the WB, then wolving the juggling guy during the night.

In general the wolves are too easy to find, and the game is human biased.

Recommendations

You need to spice up the wolves a bit. Their current functions are slightly too weak to compete with the alliance. The house of mirrors Carney can still function even though you messed with the colors. If you ask any of the wolves what they seer and then seer them, their going to have to be damn lucky to guess right, while the humans know their colors.

Suggestions
- Give the wolf seer real seering results unless the seering is being affected by an item.
- Maybe let a couple of the wolves know what they seer
- ??Give the clown a one time use vigi instead of a suicide kill?? - if not, definatley make the clown's suicide a real time event.
- The purples give their items away? are they one time use? If they are, they're fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V
Manti, I apologize for insulting you. Let the record show that I am a prickass douche, and not only that, but that I am a terrible player.

Last edited by DarkManticoreX2; 10-9-2009 at 12:34 PM..
Old 10-8-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
iggymatrixcounter
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

@manti: I think you read the jugglin man's power wrong. He does not seer people, he just makes 3 player's return to their true seer result. (B/c humans can be seered blue, green, red, OR purple)

On a side point, it's better to "balance games by taking roles out than adding another role. For instance, if you're going to break your seer's powers, with tainted results, why not just get rid of a seer? Then you don't need a MW, jugglin guy, etc. No sense in having a role if it's power is not accurate/effective.
Old 10-8-2009, 04:58 PM   #8
DarkManticoreX2
TWG Overlord
FFR Veteran

Quote:
@manti: I think you read the jugglin man's power wrong. He does not seer people, he just makes 3 player's return to their true seer result. (B/c humans can be seered blue, green, red, OR purple)
Oh ok that makes a lot more sense.

@ BDN, I'd like to play in your mystery game when it does get hosted. Send it to me only if you really think it needs to be debugged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V

Last edited by DarkManticoreX2; 10-8-2009 at 10:10 PM..
Old 10-9-2009, 07:05 AM   #9
Ruritsu
FFR Player

Manti, if you will.

Quote:
TWG LXXXVI: Lone wolf...

13 Players

The Lone Wolf - If he is lynched the humans win.

The Pack's Defender - The lone wolf cannot be lynched until he is killed.

Sly Wolf - May switch roles with the lone wolf durring the night.

Seer/Vigi - Can act as a seer, or vigi somebody durring the night, however, the vigi will cost their power. Send either a "Seer Player X" or "Vigi Player X" to prevent confusion.

Dead Eye - If this player is the first person to vote for somebody during a lynching phase and that person is lynched, their lynching will not be stopped by other effects.

7 Humans

1 Unlucky Human - If this person is the last to vote on a person that would be lynched, the lynch fails. Is unaware of this detriment
I had planned to remove the vigi on the seer and replace it with a choice of Seering/psychicing, but I didn't type it.

Also, great idea manti, a workshop for game design sounds pretty cool.
Old 10-9-2009, 10:45 AM   #10
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

@Ruritsu:

1) If the lone wolf is lynched the humans win...what if they get vigi'd? Or are you standing by the intention there to replace seer/vigi with seer/psych?

2) If the humans try to lynch the lonewolf while the defender is still alive, do they just get told "You tried to lynch this person but it didn't work"? Thus telling them "This is a wolf"? Once the lone wolf is outed but not killed, with no vigi power in the game, it becomes the job of the sly wolf to out themselves, by basically racing the dead eye on the next day phase to post against the lone wolf first.

If the dead eye wins, the game is automatically over, Otherwise, a lynch on the lone wolf fails because the defender is alive, and then the dead eye gets wolved the following night, having outed themselves in their haste to post first.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-9-2009, 11:58 AM   #11
iggymatrixcounter
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

@ruritsu: come on, if you're going to post a game, make it your final draft and don't have a bunch of details you said you WANTED to put in. Put some pride into your game XD.

@manti: you know, if you posted my guidelines for a strong game setup, it would filter out a lot of little details that are common problems for most games..... you know, THESE guidelines:

Quote:
And fix your games before you post them, these should be FINAL drafts of your games, not an idea that popped into your head and still needs fixing.

An ideal game skeleton has the following factors: 1) An even number of players 2) No iron clad alliances to destroy activity 3) Enough game strategy to get people talking but not so much that people do not want to learn it's mechanics. (HINT: How you type up your idea will have an effect on how people think it'll play out. Make sure you're concise, not overly wordy, and explain every aspect well. Spelling and grammar never hurt anyone either XD) 4) Enough players to meet the demand of ACTIVE twg players. (I.E. do not run a 20 man game when only 12-14 players are actually active) 5) Above everything else, is fair to both wolves and humans (and third parties if applicable)

Build your game around these guidelines and I think you will have better game quality, thus leading to better players.
Old 10-9-2009, 12:29 PM   #12
DarkManticoreX2
TWG Overlord
FFR Veteran

Quote:
@ruritsu: come on, if you're going to post a game, make it your final draft and don't have a bunch of details you said you WANTED to put in. Put some pride into your game XD.
Thats the point of the thread Iggy, to get games that might not be quite complete into their final draft shape.

Ruritsu: Lone Wolf...

First of all I'd like to say your game is actually fairly even assuming the lone wolf doesn't get pegged right away.

Anyways, game break down:

Human StrategyNight 1, the seer will hit either a wolf or a human. If it's a human, the human comes out and starts the alliance (no MW so no worries about green seerings). The human will attract dead eye, and the alliance will form. From there, the seer is going to have to just thin the pool with some human help. Dead eye is going to have to law low untill they find a red.

Wolf Strategy The quicker the wolves kill the seer the better their chances. That said, they'll probably kill the frontman of the alliance each night to keep the allied pool small unless they think they really have a good bead on dead eye or the seer.

A secondary thing is that if the sly wolf's switch is permanent for an entire phase, the wolves could fake out the humans by making the sly wolf look like the lone wolf, and then switching back the next day to find dead eye when he votes to "kill" the lone wolf.

In general the I find the game to be fairly well balanced, but my opinion could change depending on how certain roles work with each other (See below)

Recommendations

I think your game is good, just consider the following role interactions.

1. What happens if dead eye is the first person to vote a player, and the unlucky human is the last? Does one player's role override the other?
2. Is the sly wolf's role switch a permanent thing? Say the lone wolf get's vigi'd during the night, but the sly wolf switches roles with him. Does the sly wolf then continue on as the lone wolf? or is it just for the one night and the game is over?
3. If the sly wolf's ability is permanent until they switch back, I think you can keep the vigi seer. The wolves need to be on their toes to avoid the vigi, but it's certainly avoidable.

@ devo, I'm pretty sure the game is a human win reguardless of how the Lone wolf dies, just as long as he dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V

Last edited by DarkManticoreX2; 10-9-2009 at 12:35 PM..
Old 10-9-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
FictionJunction
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to FictionJunction Send a message via MSN to FictionJunction Send a message via Yahoo to FictionJunction Send a message via Skype™ to FictionJunction

I think this thread fits manti's ego's agenda, but I'll bite.

The game I suggested last host sign-ups.

Iggy had an interesting strategy laid out. It works. The seer is able to get a 5 mason-like group right off of day one by asking everyone to stay in the rooms they spawned in and signing a death warrant by coming out day one. While the seer is most likely to die if he goes through with it, the 5 person alliance is a very tough seal to break. However, iggy refuses to acknowledge that a wolf could indeed lie through his teeth and claim to be blue - I mean, he may as well do it. The seer is limited to seering players in his own square and the wolf crowd controller could just move him about all he wants. Chances of any of them getting seered in time to have a confirmed alliance are none, and chances that the seer would divulge this information to ANY of the people who come out to him are slim, I think. I mean, in a normal game you don't divulge information to people until they're confirmed blues anyway.

Iggy asked me to level the playing field.

I was thinking of making movement mandatory (at the cost of being moved randomly) because it protects the blues and the wolves but you might have a better idea. Keeping a 4 square map throughout the entire game without any global penalties for abandoned squares could prove useful, too, especially at the later stages of the game.

Last edited by FictionJunction; 10-9-2009 at 01:00 PM..
FictionJunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-9-2009, 01:08 PM   #14
Ruritsu
FFR Player

To answer you questions:

1: The dead eyes reads "Will not be stopped by other effects", and what I meant was it takes priority over all else. Will make it clearer somehow.

2 & 3: The sly wolves effect is "Switch roles" with the other. Its effect does not end at the end of a phase or anything, it remains until the new sly wolf ("Switch" does mean switch.) activates it again. Further, its activated at night and takes effect right before the begining of the following day phase.

Devo: Yeah, it should read "if he dies humans win." I hadn't thought of that.

Game is below with minor revisions for clairty.

Quote:
TWG LXXXVI: Lone wolf...

13 Players

The Lone Wolf - If he dies the humans win.

The Pack's Defender - The lone wolf cannot be killed until he is killed.

Sly Wolf - May switch roles with the lone wolf durring the night. This effect isn't temporary

Seer/Vigi - Can act as a seer, or vigi somebody durring the night, however, the vigi will cost their power. Send either a "Seer Player X" or "Vigi Player X" to prevent confusion.

Dead Eye - If this player is the first person to vote for somebody during a lynching phase and that person is lynched, their lynching will not be stopped by any other effects.

7 Humans

1 Unlucky Human - If this person is the last to vote on a person that would be lynched, the lynch fails. Is unaware of this detriment
2) If the humans try to lynch the lonewolf while the defender is still alive, do they just get told "You tried to lynch this person but it didn't work"? Thus telling them "This is a wolf"? Once the lone wolf is outed but not killed, with no vigi power in the game, it becomes the job of the sly wolf to out themselves, by basically racing the dead eye on the next day phase to post against the lone wolf first.

Missed this question at first devonin: Um, yeah, basically I'll just update with "Its now night" which in effect outs him as the lone wolf. However, there'll be no race to the lynch by the sly wolf, they'll just switch roles. At any rate, I don't think things like this are that bad of a problem.
Old 10-9-2009, 10:09 PM   #15
Spyke_MH
FFR Player

I'd like to note that the lynch not going through does NOT completely give away the lone wolf, there still is the possibility that the unlucky human was well...unlucky...and cast the last lynch vote on someone who isn't the lone wolf.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #16
iggymatrixcounter
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I think ruritsu's game is good. But the way it's setup, you pretty much make it a huge risk to use the vigi power. (the humans lose a day to find a wolf if he uses it.)

You can fix this one of two ways imo. 1) add another player to your roster. That will make the player count odd during the day and having 1 phantom will not be as big a deal for insta lynch purposes. 2) have the seer become a psychic after he uses his power so that he will be more inclined to vigi kill and at least have some good come out of it in case he misses.

But out of a lot of games I've seen, this looks pretty good to me.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #17
Viccica
FFR Player

Quote:
Topsy Turvy

One day the TWG gang decides to go to the Carnival. Everything starts to go wrong in the random.org house of fun...

20 players

5 wolves

Ringleader- He's at the head of his little gang. Not big or brawny, but clearly the brains of the operation. Is always seered green. Sends in the wolf pm for the night.
Clown - It's like 'It' all over again. He's a psychotic mass-murderer who came to the carnival as a cover. Under that painted-on crimson smile lay the tales of a psychopath. Can choose to kill one person at any given point in the game. This will be real time. As soon as I read the PM, I will post that player x has died and they will be out of the game. He's deathly afraid of mirrors, hating the way he is forced to paint his face for the sake of this carnival, however. So if the House of Mirrors Carnies targets him he will have a meltdown and kill himself, along with one other non-wolf player.
Crystal Ball Psychic - Be careful coming near this guy. He's dangerous and a little crazy. Can seer one person per night phase with their real color. His sworn enemy and rival is the opposing team's seer and wants to put that mofo outta business.
Mime - No one likes mimes. They're just annoying copycats. He can choose to copy one player's role at the cost of his vote the following day. He will still need to put in a vote to avoid a phantom, it just won't be counted. If he targets the seer, he can choose his seering target the following night phase.
The Tattooed Man - His body is a needle-induced work of art. If the seer seers him, the seer will be stunned and recieve a faulty report for the next two night phases. The seer will be unaware of this detriment. He has a soft spot for the Bearded Lady, however and will not permit the wolves to attack her during the night.

The House of Mirrors Carnie- Once she's got you in her maze of mirrors, she can darn near see into your soul. Her pristine house of mirrors makes even the cruelest minds cave. She can pull one person a night into her house, and she'll know your color as it appears on the surface, but cannot tell if it's a lie or not.
Friendly Psychic - A kindly old Jamaican woman trying to scrounge by from night to night as a carnie. Is given the number of wolves left in the game at the beginning of every day phase.
The Bearded Lady - She's big. She's buff. She's hairy. She's not someone you want to mess with. She has a very close relationship with the Tattooed Man. Cannot be killed at night.
The Juggling Man - He never wanted to be a juggler for the carnival, but they didn't like him throwing his balls around an operating table much. At the cost of any activity in the thread including his vote for the day he may choose four targets to return to their true seer color. Will still need to vote to avoid a phantom, but it will not be counted.

The Fat Stubby Carnie - Is given three items at the start of the game which he cannot use and has a chance to get another item equal to the ratio of wolves to humans every night phase (4 wolves to 12 humans 4/12 chance). This carnie is generally a self-serving jerk trying to con you out of your money, so be careful of what his motives may be behind it all. He cannot use the items and if he hoards them for more than two phases they will turn into something bad and be given to a random person.

Food Stand Man - Is given 3 items at the beginning of the game which he cannot use and has a chance to get another item equal to the ratio of wolves to humans (4 wolves to 12 humans 4/12 chance) every day phase. Depicted as a friendly old man, but be careful. He raised the fat stubbie carnie who gave you your ticket when you came in. He's bound to be a trickster. He cannot use the items and if he hoards them for more than two phases they will turn into something bad and be given to a random person.

9 normal humans
Note: At the beginning of the game, every person who is a non-wolf will be given a number from 1-4. This will represent the color they will be when they are seered. Wolves and blues are not aware of the colors they have recieved, normal humans, however, are told their own color.
1- Red
2- Blue
3- Purple
4- Green

Items:
The Fat Stubby Carnie:
Entrance Ticket - No one questions who the Fat Stubby Carnie lets into his fair. Gives you a one-time guard you can use at any point in the game. Effective against a lynch. If this is held too long by the carnie it will null the reciever's vote for the day. They will still need to vote to avoid a phantom, it just won't count.
Stuffed Animal Prize - It's cute, cuddly and.. what? It's got fleas! You lose your night activity while you scrub yourself raw all night.
Kissing booth stub - When you redeem your kiss from the foxy young woman manning the booth, you feel untouchable and on top of the world. You get a one-time vigi. Don't wait too long to redeem your kiss, the next woman in line is called 'Large Marge' for a reason. If this item is held too long by the Carnie, it will become rotten and your big, disgusting wet kiss from Large Marge will roleblock the user for the next night phase.
Carnie's whip - Can only be recieved if The Fat Stubby Carnie dies. In rejoice of his death, you decide to remodel. Can be used once to completely take the role of another person and switch it with your own. Can be used at any time.

The Food Stand Man:
Candy Apple - You will feel hyper and exhuberant after eating this apple. It makes your vote for the next day phase count for double. It goes bad after two phases and will become a Slimy Taffy.
Slimy Taffy - It's almost like it's already been in someone's mouth... Is that a piece of hair?! You have no choice in activating this item. One random player dies. Can only be recieved if the Carnie lets the apple go bad.
Cotton Candy - This carnival has made you feel like a kid again. You've gotten in touch with your inner self and reverted back to the color you should be.
Rat on a stick - If you are given this, you've been severely, severely pranked. Your seer color changes to red automatically and you have no choice in the matter.
Black licorice - Oh, come on! No one likes black licorice. You lose your night activity due to excessive vomitting.

Changed a couple things, as per your request. Editted the purple roles a bit along with the items and added a wolf and a few normal humans.

To explain the Bearded Lady - Tattooed man relationship, if the tattooed man dies, the wolvesbane effect wears off, since the person holding the wolves back from attacking them is gone.

In view of current events in the banking market, does that refer to me or to you?

Sincerely,

Your Client
Eco Friendly
~Chu

Last edited by Viccica; 10-13-2009 at 10:51 AM..
Old 10-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #18
iggymatrixcounter
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

vic, I think your game has a lot of potential, but you have to make it more concise. It has a lot of unique ideas, but it has things in it that aren't necessary.

For instance: Clown - It's like 'It' all over again. He's a psychotic mass-murderer who came to the carnival as a cover. Under that painted-on crimson smile lay the tales of a psychopath. Can choose to kill one person at any given point in the game. This will be real time. As soon as I read the PM, I will post that player x has died and they will be out of the game. He's deathly afraid of mirrors, hating the way he is forced to paint his face for the sake of this carnival, however. So if the House of Mirrors Carnies targets him he will have a meltdown and kill himself, along with one other non-wolf player.

It should just say CLOWN: Once during the game he can instantly kill someone, if he's seer'd he will die along with another non-wolf player.

All that other information is not needed. I can tell you put a lot of thought into it, but for reading purposes, it's much easier to just put what's needed for the role and maybe type up your story in a separate area. It will make others more interested in your game.

Also, I hope this game gets run, it still needs work but there's a good basis here. I won't step on manti's thread and give my two cents about the game but I just had to say this.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #19
Viccica
FFR Player

Well I did that for the sake of showing there will be stories in my game. And in the instance of the Bearded Lady and Tattooed Man, it's neccesary to show.

Where's the fun in saying it's a vigi char when there's more to it? =p It's still understandable. I like it how it is. And I'm worried more about the functionality than whether or not it's easy to read so...

Sincerely,

Your Client
Eco Friendly
~Chu
Old 04-15-2019, 10:48 PM   #20
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Send a message via Skype™ to DaBackpack

Werewolf no Naku Koro ni

A Game of Truth and Fiction

Welcome to Rokkenjima----------

A lone island off the coast of Japan lay host to the infamous 1986 Rokkenjima Disaster, wherein 18 members of the wealthy Ushiromiya family were slaughtered by some mysterious, merciless force. While the incident had no survivors, some direct testimony emerged from a letter in a bottle from one Ushiromiya Maria. Maria's testimony was consistent with forensic evidence at the various crime scenes, but the details described defied logic: she had ascribed all of the murders to magic and a certain spectral perpetrator: "The Golden Witch, Beatrice."

Despite the efforts of police investigators, occult specialists, and hobby theorists, there emerged no canonical account of the events of the massacre. Indeed, numerous explanations rose from the deepest cracks of the Japanese psyche but all of them were determined to be either fabricated, baseless, or otherwise fallacious. Ultimately, no comprehensive rational explanation surfaced, leaving the public to treat the events as some kind of disturbing occult phenomenon. After all, if humans could not have committed the crime, then it must have been magic, right?

"It's useless. It's all useless."

DaBackpack checked his itinerary. The ship to Rokkenjima was scheduled to depart momentarily. He, along with 17 other brilliant minds, planned to put the case to rest by visiting the disaster site directly. "There's no such thing as magic," DaBackpack told the crowd. "Surely we can find a rational, grounded explanation for what happened." Everyone nodded in agreement.

In a few hours, the party would dive headfirst into the center of a controversy spanning 3 decades ------ an uninhabited island gating the entrance to metaphysical realms of truth, fiction, and magic...

When the werewolves cry, none shall be left alive.

Setup:
Completely original! Open setup. 12 players: 8 town-aligned, 3 wolf-aligned, 1 third party (counted as "town" in regards to parity):

6 Rokkenjima tourist
1 Territory Lord, Ushiromiya Battler
1 Broken Survivor, Ushiromiya Ange
1 Malign Detective, Furudo Erika
1 Golden Witch, Beatrice
1 Endless Witch, Virgilia
1 Voyager Witch, Bernkastel

Rules:

This games functions differently from regular TWG: all abilities in this game (excluding the wolf nightkill) involve the dissemination and suppression of information about the game state. The game is centered around two core mechanics:

Red Truth: This is delivered exclusively from the game host. Any statement in red is true with absolute authority! No explanation or elaboration is required! Red truths are true statements as of the time they are delivered.

Blue Truth: This is an ability allowed to all players in the game in limited quantities. The blue truth is essentially a hypothesis that a game player makes about a specific nightkill. What is valuable is that the host must PUBLICLY respond to all blue truths given to him. (Host responses given below.)

Blue truth must take the following format: roundbox killed DaBackpack! Players may join these statements into a single blue truth via conjunction: roundbox killed DaBackpack and sunfan killed DarkManticore! Please note that you may NOT use a blue truth about yourself --- your blue truths may only contain the names of other players. Who would ever admit to murder, anyway?

If a validly constructed blue truth is submitted by a player as a night action or is posted in the game thread, the host is compelled to reply in one of exactly two ways, publicly, in the game thread:

[*]Blue truth failure: If the blue truth is false and has not been meddled with by the wolves, the host MUST reply with a red truth discrediting the statement. (For example, if a player suggests A and B! and A is true but B is false, the host replies with It is not the case that "A and B!")
[*]Blue truth success: If the blue truth is completely valid, the host will publicly refuse to respond. (The host will never directly confirm that a wolf has killed a player.) However, certain wolf characters can perform actions that force blue truths to succeed even if they would normally fail, so be careful!

Role PMs:

Each role PM, as well as each night-action ability, is described below. Every character can use any/all/none of their abilities whenever desired, including a nightkill.

Quote:
Welcome to Rokkenjima, <player>! You are a Rokkenjima tourist! Each phase you get a single vote. Additionally, once per game, you may use the blue truth in the day phase (in the game thread). After you use it, you may not use any more blue truths unless you are gifted one by Ushiromiya Ange in a night phase.

You win once all the wolves have been lynched.

Quote:
Welcome to Rokkenjima, <player>! You are Ushiromiya Battler! Once per game, you may use the blue truth in the day phase (in the game thread). After you use it, you may not use any more blue truths in the game thread unless you are gifted one by Ushiromiya Ange in a night phase.

This isn't your first rodeo when it comes to fighting witches, so you have a few tricks to help you reach the truth:

Meta Declaration: Every night, you may submit a blue truth as a night action. The blue truth and the host response will be displayed publicly at the start of the next day phase. This action occurs AFTER kills and AFTER blocking/tampering actions.

Gold Truth: Your vote secretly counts as 1.1 votes. At the end of each day phase, if your vote is on a player in a knife-in-the-box, the host will declare that the Gold Truth has been used and your vote target will be lynched. This does not affect parity.

Quote:
Welcome to Rokkenjima, <player>! You are Ushiromiya Ange! Once per game, you may use the blue truth in the day phase (in the game thread). After you use it, you may not use any more blue truths in the duration of the game.

You might have spent the night at the hamburger factory, but you're back and stronger than ever. Seeking justice, you bring the following ability to the table:

Inspiring Tenacity: Every night, you may target a player. This player will be given an extra blue truth for the next day phase. This blue truth must be used in that day phase or else it will expire. The player will be told that they received an extra blue truth but will not be told your player name. You may not target the same player twice in a row and you may not target yourself.

Quote:
Welcome to Rokkenjima, <player>! You are Furudo Erika! Once per game, you may use the blue truth in the day phase (in the game thread). After you use it, you may not use any more blue truths in the duration of the game unless you receive one from Ushiromiya Ange.

To you, the pursuit of truth is paramount: the detective has no obligation to serve justice or whatever. Solving the game before everyone else is literally the only thing you care about. You are not aligned with town or with wolves: specifically, you only win if your Cruel Denouement ability succeeds. Of course, this only matters if your beloved master, Lady Bernkastel, is there to see it!

You are not bound by human morality, since you, well, barely qualify as human. Your lack of decency and unscrupulous nature give you the following abilities:

Cruel Denouement: Once every night phase, you can try to guess the entire wolf team. If you successfully name all three wolves, you win and your slot is ejected from the game and the game thread is informed of your superior intellect. This action takes place BEFORE nightkills. This is your only win condition.

Last Chance: This ability triggers if Lady Bernkastel is lynched. In the night phase following that lynch, you get one last chance to try to deliver a successful Cruel Denouement: if you succeed, you win; if you fail, you instantly lose once day starts and your slot is ejected from the game.

Detective's Proclamation: Once per game, in the night phase, you may request permission to use the detective's proclamation. Once activated, the host will announce, in the red truth, that you are Furudo Erika.

Duct Tape!: Once per night phase, you may place duct tape on a player's door to see if they are up to no good. If that player performs a nightkill that night, you will be told that the duct tape seal has been broken. Otherwise, you will be told that the seal is intact.

Quote:
Welcome to Rokkenjima, <player>! You are Beatrice, the Golden Witch! Your partners are <player> and <player>. Once per game, you may use the blue truth in the day phase (in the game thread). After you use it, you may not use any more blue truths in the duration of the game unless you receive one from Ushiromiya Ange.

Some worthless humans have visited Rokkenjima in order to deny the existence of witches. You take a lot of pride in orchestrating the Ushiromiya Family Massacre and the fact that humans still haven't accepted you is tantamount to denying your entire legacy. In order to maintain the Illusion of the Witch, you have the following abilities:

Malicious Cackle: Every night, you may target a player. Any blue truths this player uses will automatically register as "successes". This includes any blue truths that Ushiromiya Battler activates in the same night phase. The effects of this ability wear off at the start of the following night phase.

You are incompetent!: Once per game, in the night, you may activate this ability. During the following day phase, following a host announcement of the activation of this ability, Ushiromiya Battler may not use any blue truths. This nullifies any blue truth he uses in the same night phase (the host will ignore it). This wears off at the beginning of the next night phase.

Your faction also may perform a nightkill every night phase. You win when you achieve parity with town.

Quote:
Welcome to Rokkenjima, <player>! You are Virgilia, the Endless Witch! Your partners are <blank> and <blank>. Once per game, you may use the blue truth in the day phase (in the game thread). After you use it, you may not use any more blue truths in the duration of the game unless you receive one from Ushiromiya Ange.

The existence of your precious disciple, Beatrice, is again being threatened. Your advice might be just what she needs to subjugate the disbelievers. In order to maintain the Illusion of the Witch, you have the following abilities:

North Wind and the Sun: Once per game, in the night, you may activate this ability. All blue truths used in the following day phase will register as successes. This includes any blue truths that Ushiromiya Battler activates in the same night phase. The effects of this ability wear off at the start of the following night phase.

Your faction also may perform a nightkill every night phase. You win when you achieve parity with town.

Quote:
Welcome to Rokkenjima, <player>! You are Bernkastel, the Voyager Witch! Your partners are <blank> and <blank>. Once per game, you may use the blue truth in the day phase (in the game thread). After you use it, you may not use any more blue truths in the duration of the game unless you receive one from Ushiromiya Ange.

You're bored. Bullying some humans seems like fun. In order to maintain the Illusion of the Witch, you have the following abilities:

Eva's Diary: Once per night phase, you may target a player. If this ability targets Ushiromiya Ange, her Inspiring Tenacity ability will be permanently disabled and she will be alerted of this (but you won't). This has higher priority than Inspiring Tenacity so if she uses it, it will fail. If you target anybody else, nothing will happen.

Useless Furniture: If you die, Furudo Erika will be ejected from the game at the start of the following day phase.

SEND ME ALL NIGHT ACTIONS VIA DISCORD @DaBackpack#5775

Phase Lengths: 48/24hr days/nights
No lynch/No kill: ON
Cardflips: Full
OOTC: Off (Except for wolfchat)
Nighttalk: Off
Wolfchat is Day/Night 24 hours communication.
Phantoms: Off

Phases will start/end at 10PM server time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
no one cares
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Dan Hedgehog View Post
there are 743 matches for hedgehog suicide on deviantart
that's kind of a sad statistic

Last edited by DaBackpack; 04-16-2019 at 12:17 AM..
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote