Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-7-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
Hazelle
Let's GO.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Hazelle
Default Yes. I'm asking for "life advice" on here - deal with it

So recently I've realized that I'm just not cut out to be a paralegal (Paralegals are to help attorneys with research, work on client files, etc). I'm trying to accept the fact that I'm not smart enough, and that I'll have to deal with another job, either as a secretary or just working at target or best buy or whatever for the rest of my life. I can't just "smarten up" and make my IQ rise. I'm simply just not quite at the level I would need to be in order to become a paralegal.

I need help. I don't know how to tell my parents or boss that I'm changing career paths. I don't even want to to walk (Graduate the formal way) next week. I just want to stay home, apply to wherever, and start anew.

Some things just don't go the way I planned, and I have to deal with it. Life's tough, haha. So what do I do guys? They're gonna be disappointed but it's my life i'll have to deal with, not theirs (don't worry, I refuse to be a 30 y/o living in my parent's basement lol).
Hazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-7-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Yes. I'm asking for "life advice" on here - deal with it

Show them this thread.. I promise you, it will work.

You just need to man up, show them you're an adult and you want to make your own decisions, and that this path isn't the decision you want to make anymore.
You ARE an adult, you'll figure it out.

ScarletSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-7-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Hazelle
Let's GO.
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletSky View Post
Show them this thread.. I promise you, it will work.

You just need to man up, show them you're an adult and you want to make your own decisions, and that this path isn't the decision you want to make anymore.
You ARE an adult, you'll figure it out.
They've insisted throughout the years that I'm smart though. Sure, I get by with school and stuff, but...that's because all you do is read and whatnot. When I have to actually apply my knowledge and use "common sense", I'm hopeless.
Old 05-7-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Maybe you are smart enough, it can't be that hard. But do you WANT to do it? It doesn't matter if you can or not, because you can do anything you set your mind to. The choice comes down to whether or not you actually want to do it.
If you don't then why force yourself to? You're going to be unhappy in the end.

You're the only one that can tell your parents/boss. FFR can only point you in the direction of them, in the end though you have to make the decision.
Remember, you're never going to please everyone. Pick and choose your battles.

ScarletSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-7-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
Hazelle
Let's GO.
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletSky View Post
Maybe you are smart enough, it can't be that hard. But do you WANT to do it? It doesn't matter if you can or not, because you can do anything you set your mind to. The choice comes down to whether or not you actually want to do it.
If you don't then why force yourself to? You're going to be unhappy in the end.

You're the only one that can tell your parents/boss. FFR can only point you in the direction of them, in the end though you have to make the decision.
Remember, you're never going to please everyone. Pick and choose your battles.
Of course I want to work as a paralegal - but I literally cannot. The dumb shit I do everyday I can't deal with anymore. I make my boss unhappy and she was the only one willing to take me in. I can't just simply set my mind to it and work through it. I have tried, but I cannot get any better.

But yeah, I guess my parents or boss would be the only people to go to haha. Ugh. I guess I'll tell them...I don't know. Probably later this week, because my sister will be leaving soon to hang out for a week with her boyfriend and then out 3 hours away to work at Honda (yeah! That's right - HONDA! ).

Thanks for ze advice.
Old 05-7-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Bri,

I highly doubt you are not "smart" enough. So shut up with that. You are a smart girl, don't take that away from yourself.

Also, the best way is to sit down and just talk it out with them one on one. That's the best way to do it.
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-7-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
Aldentron
Forum User

Send a message via Skype™ to Aldentron

just continue studying law and join the ACLU
i remember a time when he wuz kewl

like... wut
Aldentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-7-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
Aldentron
Forum User

then when you're old enough, run for any office you can

like... wut
Old 05-7-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Sing them a song, it'll be so awkward that nobody will pay attention to the news anyway.
Old 05-7-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

I'm not the one to give advice because I am nobody special, but I can say I am happy and I have dealt with way more crap then 98 percent of the population I gurantee it. Just remember if you are actually happy and want to become a paralegal person to not give up, EVER. You just graduated you are way to young to think you don't have potential. Your brain is just now almost done developing and once you get used to using it you will realize how important practice and hard work is. I used to weigh 110 and was super weak. I hated working out and everyone made fun of me but I wanted to be stronger so I kept at it, soon I found myself loving it and despite everyone saying I didn't have a bodybuilder type of body I proved them wrong and now nobody could tell the difference. I swear it will work for you too just keep trying and 2 years from now you will look back and laugh at why you were frusterated. If you get terrible headaches and stuff and your boss is mean maybe you should just ask around and see if there is anybody else who may be better qualified to help you achieve your goals. I wish you luck

Edit: just realized you meant you were done with college, not HS. What are you doing! you are closer then I thought!

Last edited by Jerry DB; 05-7-2012 at 11:20 PM..
Jerry DB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
Hazelle
Let's GO.
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
Bri,

I highly doubt you are not "smart" enough. So shut up with that. You are a smart girl, don't take that away from yourself.

Also, the best way is to sit down and just talk it out with them one on one. That's the best way to do it.
Yeah :l I'll think about it a little more I suppose, thanks.

Quote:
then when you're old enough, run for any office you can
lol i hate politics xD Screw daaat shit.

Quote:
Sing them a song, it'll be so awkward that nobody will pay attention to the news anyway.
Innovative thinking - I like it!

Quote:
I swear it will work for you too just keep trying and 2 years from now you will look back and laugh at why you were frusterated. If you get terrible headaches and stuff and your boss is mean maybe you should just ask around and see if there is anybody else who may be better qualified to help you achieve your goals. I wish you luck

Edit: just realized you meant you were done with college, not HS. What are you doing! you are closer then I thought!
I'm glad everything worked out for ya ^^ My boss isn't mean, I just...I don't know. It's a small office so I expect some secretarial work, but that's like, all the time I have for during the day. I think during my 2 week break I'll apply to other places and see where it leads me - hopefully it's for the better.

thanks everyone <3 you're the best ^^
Old 05-8-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

yea the main thing is to try it out. I thought I would love being a guy who just works everywhere and works my way up at those places. I've only had 3 jobs but already I feel like I should do something greater while I'm young. Especially since I can't find a job. There will always be crime and lawsuits so you will always find work that way
Old 05-8-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
nois-or-e
SponCon Aficionado
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nois-or-e Send a message via MSN to nois-or-e Send a message via Skype™ to nois-or-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelle View Post
I don't even want to to walk (Graduate the formal way) next week. I just want to stay home, apply to wherever, and start anew.

Even if you wanted to start anew, why not just get it over with. Give yourself some closure before you move onto your next path.
Old 05-8-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
Mike Weedmark
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
I highly doubt you are not "smart" enough. So shut up with that.
I highly agree with this.

Assistant to an attorney? Pretty sure intelligence isn't a barrier. What you're probably not enough of is "bored."
Mike Weedmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2012, 10:31 AM   #15
PlayTrumpet
Lamingtons.
FFR Veteran

You are smart enough. I don't know you even the slightest, but you're smart enough. What you may not be is prepared, confident, or willing to fail.

Find a mentor. If you weren't taught well how to survive at that sort of job, find someone with lots of experience, not your boss, and figure out how to do better. If the problem is not enough preparedness, you could consider a lower level job. The fact that you already work at the position you're in not even having graduated college yet is something to be very proud of, and it's more than understandable that you might feel you're not qualified yet.
Old 05-8-2012, 10:32 AM   #16
Aldentron
Forum User

if you don't feel like walking the stage, don't. i didn't want to walk at my graduation, but my mom convinced me at the last minute and i regretted it. those mortar boards and gowns are just dumb traditions, kind of like a receipt for your parents so they're assured they got what they paid for...

like... wut
Old 05-8-2012, 10:38 AM   #17
Sprite-
HAVE ME WITH VODKA
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I didn't walk at my graduation. I personally hate those ceremonies. My parents tried to make me but i'm stubborn.

Don't feel bad about that.
Sprite- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2012, 11:48 AM   #18
Xiz
TWG Chaos
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Xiz

It took me two years to fully decide what I wanted to do with my life. I started off as a Classical Trombonist (I know, lots of money there) and then found that I didn't have the skills necessary to become as successful as I intended regardless of my practice due to permeant jaw damage in surgery after I got struck by lightning a few years ago. (I know, you probably dont believe me. But Hopefully you can haha)

I found myself getting interesting in Film production / editing. But that meant I needed to start over as a Junior in College going back to freshman year again. All the time you spent was not wasted, but in fact shaped you to become what you are going to be soon.

Its your life. Not your parents. Respect them and understand their wishes, but you need to do what you need to do in your life. Besides, trying out new things is hella fun. Being ADHD is really fun because I can never concentr- did you know that there is one documented case of longevity is of an adult Indian Ocean Giant Tortoise. After being captured and estimated to be 50 years old, it lived another 152 years in captivity.

But seriously, I wish you the best. You are not the only one who needs to start over. Good luck bro

Xiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2012, 12:04 PM   #19
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

Just do what you want lol. Quit makin yaself miserable
Old 05-8-2012, 12:07 PM   #20
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

If you tell yourself you're unable or unfit to do something, and believe it, good luck achieving that goal. If you're motivated enough to reach it, you can curve your growth and learning for success. Just be optimistic and work hard at it; but, you have to really want it. Otherwise there's no point.

If you don't truly want this, then find what you do want, and pursue that.

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote