Old 04-26-2019, 10:07 AM   #361
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie
Default Re: Unpopular gaming opinions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashflash account View Post
How the heck is ddlc cliche?
Like what? Did you actually play it for longer than five minutes? I'm so confused
Do I not know what a cliche is

In the context of it being a free game with 30 minutes of playtime it does a lot in that
Did you play the entire game? It took me almost exactly 4 hours total and I didn't spend that much time dicking around. It's not a 30 minute game

It's cliche because you can see the "twist" coming from a mile away. There's not enough character development in terms of actual things happening to the characters, it's just all banter. So you don't care about the characters on any deep level. So when something "serious" happens, it doesn't seem like a gripping part of the story happening to people you really care about. It comes across as cliche plot devices shoved into the story

These concepts have been done to death:
oh my god CUTE GIRLS COMBINED WITH DARK IMAGERY INCLUDING SUICIDE! SUCH A UNIQUE CONCEPT!

oh my god now the game is starting to ~MESS AROUND WITH FILES ON MY COMPUTER~ omg teehee so spooky scary and unique game play!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #362
flashflash account
FFR Player

I've never seen a game with either of those

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIce View Post
FFA playing 4D chess in Gemity while us mortals are stuck on this gay earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAshy View Post
I’ve demonstrated self-awareness
Quote:
i was pretty close to letting this slide tbh, but honestly your utter lack of understanding of the situation irritates me more than anything else at this point
Quote:
seriously everything i wrote went way over your head if your reading comprehension is so far below third grade level while people may care about your opinion you should refrain from giving it because it's worthless
flashflash account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:52 AM   #363
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie

You gotta play more weeaboo games dude! especially the cute girls/violence thing is really popular

Quote:
Old 04-26-2019, 11:19 AM   #364
flashflash account
FFR Player

weeb games in general aren't mainstream though when DDLC broke through
and tbh how did it take you four hours? I literally timed it to be 31 minutes

-----

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
i was pretty close to letting this slide tbh, but honestly your utter lack of understanding of the situation irritates me more than anything else at this point
Quote:
seriously everything i wrote went way over your head if your reading comprehension is so far below third grade level while people may care about your opinion you should refrain from giving it because it's worthless
Old 04-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #365
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

idk man, it seems like 4 hrs is right on the average wow I'm proud of myself

source: https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=49377

Quote:
Old 04-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #366
flashflash account
FFR Player

am I crazy

-----

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-27-2019, 01:50 AM   #367
roundbox
Gᴇᴛ ᴀ ɢʀɪᴘ ᴜ ɴᴇʀᴅ
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashflash account View Post
am I crazy
yes, the game is much longer than 30 minutes. the full ending is about that length, let alone the segments where you do actual input (poems)

just because you haven't seen a game do these things does not render them immune from being cliche
they're tropes and ideas that have occurred in several games before

and in regards to comparing ddlc to undertale:
undertale did the whole FILE DELETION and ~wHoa~ haunted game thing before it.

yes, there are other games that have done it, but here's one hot example
roundbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:28 AM   #368
flashflash account
FFR Player

Oh that's right i completely forgot about that aspect of undertale because

-----

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #369
Azpb Djbread
FFR Player

skyward sword is p rad
Azpb Djbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:41 PM   #370
flashflash account
FFR Player

I don't want to live in a world where that's considered an unpopular opinion

-----

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-29-2019, 01:09 AM   #371
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Send a message via Skype™ to DaBackpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
half the reason its popular is because it was free so anyone could play it

if the game cost like 10$ do u really think it would have become as "hyped" as it was
That's pretty much exactly the problem. In a complete vacuum, Doki Doki Literature Club is average. My beef is that the hype for this game is excessive and, consequently, this shit is the face of Japanese visual novels to the majority of the West (which is quite obviously an issue). It's natural that someone like me would care and would retaliate in a hyperbolic fashion in order to counter a hyperbolic crowd reaction.

And, before someone brings it up, "it's free" is not a reason for any game to be considered good. The price should not factor into any reflection on the quality of a product, only the cost-benefit analysis of purchasing that product.

There are good things about this game. People like the art. I don't like the style, but it's professional. I actually quite enjoyed the interaction design in this game: the typical "flag" system was masked with a creative poetry construction task. This is unique and also allowed for fun foreshadowing.

The game also tricked me into thinking it might actually be good (before the hanging scene) so... I suppose that's a sign of some kind of writing.

There are numerous reasons to hate this game. The characters are bland (especially Monika, which is a huge problem since she's the most important one). As others have mentioned, any seemingly interesting thing about the game has been done more effectively before. The yandere archetype has been popular for 2 decades now. This specific kind of yandere escalation existed back in 2002 with the advent of Higurashi. Even for those outside of the anime fandom, the movie Fatal Attraction came out in 1987.

Perhaps the Monika-player relationship would be interesting if you've never seen that kind of fourth-wall-breaking before. Film and literature have both formal and informal models for how the "viewer" exists in the context of a story (e.g. transportation theory and cinematic voyeurism). Games are especially interesting in this context because the "viewer" is now an interactor and their position relative to the story is more complicated: we recognize that the "main character" is their own person but is also controlled by "the interactor", somebody who is distinctly NOT the main character. You could view DDLC as a kind of metafiction that explores this idea. However...

Metafiction in video games isn't new (Undertale did fourth-wall-breaking and file system shenanigans but actually used these elements to make a commentary about the nature of gaming as a whole).
Metafiction in visual novels isn't new (Ever17, from 2002, makes the player-character relationship the center of the entire story). Repeating routes as a narrative technique was a crucial element of Muv-Luv and several other games that I won't list because at least one user is reading them now.

So any kind of shock factor or uniqueness is lost on me because I've seen this all before (in better forms).

Of course, even if none of the singular elements of a game are novel, perhaps the interaction of these elements allows something interesting to emerge. Specifically, if all of these elements work together to produce some theme, the experience is still valuable as a holistic one.

The issue is that DDLC doesn't actually make any sense when you look at it as a whole. Everything in the story exists as a direct consequence of Monika's actions. She's aware that she's in the game and has the other characters kill themselves so that she's the only one left in the dating sim environment. First of all, this is super not convincing because Monika is so ill-defined as a character outside of her possessive, obsessive love for the player. Second of all, there's no stated or implied reason WHY Monika would even love me in the first place. It's forced. Lastly, why the fuck does this matter? What's the point?

I brought up Undertale earlier as a positive example. Undertale isn't actually trying to say that you're a bad person for killing enemies in a video game, it's trying to make sure that you actually fully understand the consequences of the actions you're taking in the gamespace. The cardinal sin in the game isn't becoming genocidal, it's endlessly resetting the game to achieve the different endings because you are toying with the fates of the characters for purely self-centered reasons. Every narrative element of the game ultimately works towards this end (roughly). The metafictional elements WORK because there's actually a good reason for them to be there.

Now back to DDLC: what was the fucking point? What kind of statement is it trying to make? A video game character falls in love with the player? What does that even mean outside of the context of the game? Answer: it means nothing because there is no point.

Doki Doki Literature Club is the videogame equivalent of a jumpscare. Everything in the game is in service of shock value. Character suicide? Shock value. Yandere? Shock value. Monika altering the game files? Shock value. What I haven't really touched on is what I think the game is actually abhorrent: it seriously discusses mental illness and treats these issues with some kind of gravity solely as a reason to provide shock value when the characters commit suicide later. It's tasteless, trashy, and evil.

And, above all, meaningless.

------------------------------------------------------

Somebody defended this game to me by saying that this game is only really some kind of demo for a larger project underway by Dan Salvato. The DDLC game files have some kind of AR scavenger hunt that acts as an advertisement for this "real game."

My response is that if you want people to play your "real game" then you should make a demo that doesn't actually suck balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
no one cares
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Dan Hedgehog View Post
there are 743 matches for hedgehog suicide on deviantart
that's kind of a sad statistic

Last edited by DaBackpack; 04-29-2019 at 01:22 AM..
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:52 AM   #372
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

lmao

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:31 PM   #373
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

werent the characters in ddlc intentionally bland and shitty to both take the piss on people who unironically like shitty dating sim vns and also to help show how lifeless and fake the world monika was living in really was
PixlSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:32 PM   #374
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

either way the game is kinda whatever but i see a lot of people who seemed to completely miss the point regardless of if they love it or hate it
PixlSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:34 PM   #375
flashflash account
FFR Player

idk I just thought it was fun

-----

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-29-2019, 03:59 PM   #376
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixlSM View Post
werent the characters in ddlc intentionally bland and shitty to both take the piss on people who unironically like shitty dating sim vns and also to help show how lifeless and fake the world monika was living in really was
I didn't see that kind of self-awareness

and a lot of the shit that happens actively works against this agenda so even if that was true it still fails

Quote:
no one cares
Quote:
Old 05-4-2019, 09:26 PM   #377
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

I saw DDLC on Game Grumps and with Arin taking the piss out of the boring scenes and Danny absolutely losing his shit later on in the game I sure got my money's worth.

For someone who isn't versed in VNs I wasn't expecting half of that, and as a demo of sorts it made me interested in seeing a follow up

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-4-2019, 10:06 PM   #378
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

imagine introducing people to visual novels who would otherwise just think "wow this genre of game is terrible" wow DDLC sucks so much
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-4-2019, 10:20 PM   #379
mellon_collie
FFR Player

imagine thinking something being popular makes it not suck
mellon_collie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-4-2019, 10:23 PM   #380
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
imagine introducing people to visual novels who would otherwise just think "wow this genre of game is terrible" wow DDLC sucks so much
the people who think "wow this genre of game is terrible" are more likely to have that opinion reaffirmed after playing the game because DDLC goes out of it's way to be """subversive""" in the most obvious ways about dating sims

Quote:
no one cares
Quote: