Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR Events

View Poll Results: Should the Official Only Use New Files?
Yes, we should use never seen files in all rounds 65 55.56%
No, we should use files already in game up till the final round 4 3.42%
Mix of new and old would be cool 37 31.62%
Neutral 11 9.40%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-1-2015, 04:56 PM   #21
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691
Default Re: Should the FFR Official Tournament Only Use New Files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
I understand the reasoning as a reaction to the current problems of oversaturation and difficulty in gathering content

These problems have affected things before, they are affecting things now since the structure of the official is being suggested to be changed (and it is not the structure itself that is the issue), and they will continue to affect things in the future: future officials and even a regular SOTW.

The fact of that matter is this: the current judgement process is not compatible with the current level of work that can be put into it. It's pessimistic, but I don't think this will be fully or even mostly solved by new judges, although it will help. With no system by which stepcharts are removed or segregated/unraked, the pool of available charts will grow ad infinitum, which clutters the game and makes completionism unattractive. But at the same time new content, especially for the officials, is a driving force of interest and activity and something a game like this can't live without.

The fact that this thread's question exists is a symptom of these problems and they need to be dealt with. Again, sorry for the tangent, but I feel this absolutely needs to be pointed out. Maybe it's a discussion better suited for another time/thread.
Please don't take me for rude but I have no control over that end of things, so I'm just trying to cover my bases for events. I'd rather avoid discussions about the current batch/judgement system in this thread. I'm going to try to get with game management to see where things are with is as I don't really know what progress has been made as of now. I just know that things are behind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl
psychoangel691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-1-2015, 04:57 PM   #22
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
I much rather prefer playing old files with only the last two rounds being the only rounds with new songs. The game is over saturated with files that receive very little plays because of all the songs that the game currently has already.
this is a flawed argument

"1,917,755 members and growing!
286 users currently using FFR.
2,148,877 arrows hit today"
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-1-2015, 05:00 PM   #23
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

"90% of those members are bots or alt accounts" - Someone

Chipping in my voice though I like the idea of maybe the first couple rounds of the tournament using older songs as a way of "preliminary" or "pre-finals" rounds, and then using new songs nearing the final rounds of the tournament, where people can't rely on previous practice to save themselves.

- Tosh 2014

Last edited by gold stinger; 05-1-2015 at 05:02 PM..
gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-1-2015, 05:02 PM   #24
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
"90% of those members are bots or alt accounts" - Someone
"172597 real members and growing!
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-1-2015, 05:29 PM   #25
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

So I just realized there aren't even enough files in queue to keep with sotw releases until July when the tournament would likely be. Things are in pretty dire straights right now.

I'm going to do the best I can but I ask that you guys please be patient with me and help me find the best solution that will be agreeable to the majority here.
Quote:
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:

Quote:
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl
Old 05-1-2015, 05:45 PM   #26
PhantomPuppy
Washed and Irrelevant D7
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

woah hot damn, the tourney is gonna be in july this year? awesome. umm, my thoughts on this is as long as there is no preview for rounds that are using songs that are already in the game, then we should be fine. or maybe for the first 4 rounds we use old songs, and the rest of the tourney use new ones? or only for the top 16 use new ones? idk.

10th OT (D3): 13th
11th OT (D6): 11th
12th OT (D6): 6th
13th OT (D7): 31st
14th OT (D7): 25th
15th OT (D7): LAST PLACE
16th OT (D7): LAST PLACE LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
you know what they say

under all the rust is really shiny...……… metal
PhantomPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-1-2015, 05:50 PM   #27
blanky!
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to blanky!

Really, there shouldn't even be divisions in the first place, aside from encouraging competition between players of similar skill levels. That's a very different story, though.
If the tournament does end up using older files, my only suggestion would be to change up the patterns in those songs to prevent previous practice/mindblocks (in case one gets lucky/unlucky with song choice), but in a way so that the steps still follow the music accurately. Just my opinion.

Last edited by blanky!; 05-1-2015 at 06:05 PM..
blanky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-1-2015, 05:53 PM   #28
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I voted that a "Mix of new and old would be cool"; however, the "cool" is more of an "ok". I know that I tend to have the most free time during the summer so Iʻd be willing to sacrifice my desire to have all new files if it means that the official occurs at a time that is most convenient for me.

I do like Toshʻs suggestion about flip-flopping the new/old files between the odd/even divisions every round. It would be "fair" for each division and the majority of the participants will have the joy of at least playing one new file for the tournament.

Another suggestion, which may be horrible but has yet to be brought up, is to perhaps consider reducing the number of rounds in the tournament in order to reduce the amount of files needed. I wouldnʻt recommend making the cutoffs stricter in the earlier rounds though because those rounds tend to be the most active for the official (people tend to be slightly less interested in the tournament after theyʻve been eliminated). I know that the official has been using the 16->8->5->3->1 cutoff structure for the final rounds causing a large portion of the tournament to be geared towards only a few amount of players so perhaps one of those cutoffs could be eliminated without affecting the overall hype/activity the official brings in.

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-1-2015, 06:03 PM   #29
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

For those of you that weren't here when tourneys use to consist of old files. The round songs weren't given put until the day of so there was no way of knowing what songs to practice
Old 05-1-2015, 06:36 PM   #30
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

Yeah no one would know what files were coming up if files in game were used. The good thing with in game files too is it makes it easier to pick files that stress different things each round. When going with all new I'm limited to what people have submitted and so much of it tends to be jumpstream haha.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Old 05-1-2015, 07:25 PM   #31
Kawaii025
Fake D4
FFR Veteran

I hope this makes sense, but in my opinion, I think that the first round should be a new song to give participants a chance to play something that's never been seen before. After that, in-game files up until Top 8.

Top 8 and forward should have new files...but with a slight modification to the elimination structure. It should go from Top 8 to Top 3 (unless top 5 gets something that 6-8 doesn't?). This way only 3 rounds would need new files.
Highest Blackflag: Survive (60)
Highest FC: Challenge the final mission! (68)
Highest SDG: The Fusion (63)
Otaku Speedvibe [Heavy] unlocked 03/04/15 - On The Origin of Species (Evolution) (50)

Highest AAA:Case Closed (58)
Highest Blackflag: Survive (58)
Highest Booflag: Fill Me Up With Snacky Happiness & Suit Up (55)
Highest FC: Challenge the final mission! (72)
Highest SDG: The Fusion (67)
Kawaii025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-1-2015, 07:32 PM   #32
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
"172597 real members and growing!
That sounds reasonable and about right.

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-1-2015, 07:42 PM   #33
lurker
ur worst nitemare
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

mix of old and new because given the state of the judging process at the moment gathering up 56 acceptable files that fit a very particular difficulty sequence will either take way too long or require a ridiculous amount of effort
Old 05-1-2015, 07:43 PM   #34
lurker
ur worst nitemare

everyone saying that it should just be new files is either being optimistic, ungrateful, or doesn't want an official this year
Old 05-1-2015, 07:44 PM   #35
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoangel691 View Post
I'd say probably the best option would be to use files in game up until the prize rounds. Then use all new files for the prize rounds of the tournament. That would make it half and half. (this may still be pretty difficult with the higher files that would be needed, but would be more likely than all new for the whole thing).
I'd be up for this.

Edit:// I agree with Ben, an 8 round tournament is a bit long. Maybe instead of going 8-5-3-1 it could just go 8-4-1 and end in 6 rounds

From two months to six weeks

Last edited by TheSaxRunner05; 05-1-2015 at 07:47 PM..
TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-1-2015, 07:50 PM   #36
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

The officials used to be 10 weeks long so I'd feel a little bad cutting it down again but if that's something a lot of people could agree on I wouldn't mind I guess. It would kill a lot of people off really fast though.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Old 05-1-2015, 07:52 PM   #37
lurker
ur worst nitemare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii025 View Post
Top 8 and forward should have new files...but with a slight modification to the elimination structure. It should go from Top 8 to Top 3 (unless top 5 gets something that 6-8 doesn't?). This way only 3 rounds would need new files.
i like this but i don't get the idea of skipping F5, 8->3 is a really sharp cutoff (although obviously we've seen it get pretty bad in d7 much earlier than F8)
also i'm going to predict that there will be too few beginner/inepxerienced players to justify keeping d1 and d2 separate (and i kinda think that was the case with 10th official anyway with all of the no shows in d1) so that could ease the file requirements very slightly

Last edited by lurker; 05-1-2015 at 07:52 PM..
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-1-2015, 07:55 PM   #38
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoangel691 View Post
The officials used to be 10 weeks long so I'd feel a little bad cutting it down again but if that's something a lot of people could agree on I wouldn't mind I guess. It would kill a lot of people off really fast though.
I don't suggest knocking people out sooner early on, just in the last two rounds. The last month of the official always just drags on, in the beginning, people are dropping 10-15 people at a time per round and then they start eliminating 3 or two people per round? The vast majority are eliminated in the first 4 weeks in the current structure anyways.

Old 05-1-2015, 07:56 PM   #39
badman7772
It happens for a reason.
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Let's try to do a cumulative official this time around to keep interest for more people. This would mean everyone that completes the tournament gets a prize, but it would be more interesting to not only watch the 1st place battle, but last round snipes for a vRofl token (or taking it away from someone to be a dick.)

That or the entire first half of the tournament can be cumulative and the second half can be the playoffs. They'll be rewarded the right to play new songs for more prizes. Would be cool there.
Old 05-1-2015, 07:58 PM   #40
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman7772 View Post
That or the entire first half of the tournament can be cumulative and the second half can be the playoffs.
Tiebreakers and AAA-fests would make this very difficult, think about D7 especially.