Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-9-2014, 02:56 PM   #41
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

Send a message via AIM to Snowcrafta
Default Re: Netflix animoo discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I'd pay 10 times the amount of a netflix subscription for a service equivalent to high quality torrents. It's not about the money. Unfortunately there is no legitimate service that offers the same quality and convenience so I don't really care. I try buying other anime goods to help compensate.
Netflix streams at 1080p and has just started streaming 4K ultraHD (House of Cards s2)
Old 04-9-2014, 02:57 PM   #42
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcrafta View Post
Netflix isn't for everyone, izzy. Most people, however, don't have a problem spending the equivalent of half a large pizza a month on a fantastic video streaming service with a huge amount of variety.
Netflix is extremely hard to work with here in Canada because they changed their rules/laws around for it. Used to use a reloadable gift card to work with it because sometimes there would be just nothing on netflix that we wanted to watch and we would just put nothing on the card, and when we heard that something good was on netflix, we would reload the card and our services would turn back on again in the next billing area, and now they don't allow that anymore.

Also my family pretty much can't use credit cards right now because of bankruptcy lolol.

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-9-2014, 02:58 PM   #43
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
well I wasn't trying to convince you that you should be watching anime on netflix lol. you said you didn't understand why anyone else would, and I gave you reasons.

plenty of people (myself included) have never heard of nyaa or AB, find video quality on netflix to be perfectly acceptable, already pay for netflix to watch other movies and shows, and don't have a convenient setup to output stuff from computer to TV.
Fair enough. I can only hope a superior content service comes around in the future.

Nyaa.se
animebytes.tv (ask me for invites)
bakabt.me

Quote:
Netflix streams at 1080p and has just started streaming 4K ultraHD (House of Cards s2)
Resolution =/= Quality
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-9-2014, 03:56 PM   #44
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Some people are crazy. It isn't about things being from Japan being better, it is about the effort put into quality voice acting. In Japan anime voice acting is a big deal, but it isn't for anime dubs. The voice acting is often very poor quality. Dubs "can" be just as good or better than the original voice acting if the effort and talent was put into it.
pmuch this. The original format is closest to what the directors tried for, and American voice actors are pretty crap at understanding this. Watching dubbed after subs is horrendous because they usually change the tone of the character too much.

Besides, we have like supposedly only 10-50 voice actors or something, and I'm quite sick of Johnny Yong Bosch's voice. He sucks so bad, he might as well be American Hanakana. Except that's not even the thing. Japan has probably a small dozen of actors that suck at ranging. American voice actors don't seem to be able to make each role unique at all.

There's also something that can't be gotten from English that Japanese acting has. The kawaii~uguu voice acting that you get from Japan would never fly here. It's literally impossible without it sounding completely stupid. To them, it's at least normal. You get used to it quickly if you ignore it.

To me having to read a little in order to get quality acting (instead of monotone English actors) is completely worth it.

Anyway, I dunno why OP is trying so hard to prove that Netflix is some hidden paradise of animu, when torrents are obviously superior. OP should stick to his crunchy rolls.
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-9-2014, 04:01 PM   #45
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

It's not some hidden paradise, it's just a convienent spot where people who have netflix can talk about what is on netflix, rather than having to go out, download, watch, and discover after the first 1 or two episodes they don't like it.
Old 04-9-2014, 04:06 PM   #46
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
rather than having to go out, download, watch, and discover after the first 1 or two episodes they don't like it.
this is literally not a problem at all for anyone. Have you even tried torrenting? It takes probably a few seconds to grab an entire season of anime and watch it. In the few minutes it takes to torrent I just boil up some ramen or cook food. It's seriously not hard. If you're seriously stressing over a few minutes of waiting for a torrent, then you must value your time very strangely for someone who watches anime.

And if it's the torrenting and hunting for the episode that bothers you, there are literally dozens of streaming sites. If quality is something you really stress, then you should pick up Crunchyroll. Then again calling Crunchyroll 'quality' is laughable. It still goes all the way up to 1080p, which seems fine enough for someone who stresses watching anime on Netflix lol
Old 04-9-2014, 04:11 PM   #47
Trogdor!!!!
Forever
FFR Veteran

chinese cartoons are srs business
Old 04-9-2014, 04:13 PM   #48
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

I told you like 4 days ago I've been torrenting for like 10 years.
Old 04-9-2014, 04:19 PM   #49
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I told you like 4 days ago I've been torrenting for like 10 years.
I know, and I don't believe it for one second if you're saying Netflix is more convenient.
Old 04-9-2014, 04:31 PM   #50
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

Far more convienent. For one, I don't have to download anything, for two I'm not restricted to my laptop, and three, I can watch on my iPad or phone when I'm out and about. Plus little things like having to set the audio and subtitles every time I start a new episode is annoying, especially if I'm watching it on TV. I also don't have to worry about forgetting which episode I left off on, and I don't end up with a video folder with 300 gigs of videos that I eventually have to go through and clean out.

You pretty much turned this into "omg so much better anime if u torrent wtf is wrong w/ u?" When in reality I just wanted to talk about the stuff that was featured on Netflix. If you have a problem, go make your own, not on netflix thread
Old 04-9-2014, 04:34 PM   #51
Izzy
Snek

I can do all of those more conveniently and in better quality with torrents. The only difference I guess if having to manually delete files instead of streams being auto deleted, but I collect files anyway so this is a win/win for me.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-9-2014, 04:50 PM   #52
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

I didn't turn it into anything. Besides, the selection on Netflix is garbage. If you torrented at all, you'd know this.

BTW, video players are so flexible that arguing that "switching audio/subs is annoying" is pretty much a moot point. It does it all automatically if you do a quick google. Plus, with torrenting you can grab it from a feed and have it automatically download. Saying that you can't be bothered to delete afterwards is pretty dumb lol.

As for doing stuff like watching it on the go, what are you? A filthy casual? lolohwait; Netflix.

Even still it's not hard to set those things up without Netflix. Quite frankly giving anyone any money to do it for me feels like a pain in the ass.
Old 04-9-2014, 05:01 PM   #53
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

I'll assume you also haven't bought a single musical album in your life either, and probably don't watch movies in IMAX or 3D (or both!), and just either watch cams of them or wait for DVD release.
Old 04-9-2014, 05:05 PM   #54
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I'll assume you also haven't bought a single musical album in your life either, and probably don't watch movies in IMAX or 3D (or both!), and just either watch cams of them or wait for DVD release.
I only spend money on what is worth spending money on. Netflix is a horrible waste of your money.
Old 04-9-2014, 05:19 PM   #55
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Guys, watch mushishi it's great
Old 04-9-2014, 05:22 PM   #56
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Enigma View Post
I only spend money on what is worth spending money on. Netflix is a horrible waste of your money.
ummmm? netflix might be a horrible waste of your money depending on your circumstances and on what you want to watch. if some people get value out of having netflix available to them then it's not a horrible waste of their money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Enigma View Post
As for doing stuff like watching it on the go, what are you? A filthy casual? lolohwait; Netflix.
I totally respect anime enthusiasts, but if you think "filthy casual" is a good insult that's kind of gross.

Quote:
Nyaa.se
animebytes.tv (ask me for invites)
bakabt.me
awesome, thanks! I will likely be hitting these up sometime haha.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-9-2014, 05:37 PM   #57
Trogdor!!!!
Forever
FFR Veteran

to be fair, i can understand why he would say netflix is a waste of money because the one in canada is horrible
Old 04-9-2014, 05:41 PM   #58
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

I know there's some one step way for Canadian netflix to gain access to American servers, that's for sure.

And believe me, I'd much rather be called a filthy casual than anything else when it comes to the anime community
Old 04-9-2014, 05:43 PM   #59
Trogdor!!!!
Forever
FFR Veteran

what about being called a filthy weaboo
Old 04-9-2014, 05:47 PM   #60
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

Isn't that the equivalent of a lieutenant in the anime ranks?