Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Art and Graphics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner
Default Motivate me

Okay guys, I've put off art way too long. I want to create a character, right now his name is Ooz, and I want to make this an animation project. I'm extremely inspired by the fundamentals of pixar and stuff and I just want some second opinions-- does this sound like something I should put time into?

This character doesn't know where he lives, or what he is. He's a liquid robot, in a nutshell, nebulous and elastic and highly enthusiastic about anything he finds. Typically flowers and plants, on this vast land where nothing exists except him. He doesn't know that his enthusiasm for nature actually actively destroys it. He's a self sustaining organic computer, highly adaptive, and has chameleon qualities to adapt to his surroundings.

So basically, I want to make a comic book or animation for this little character because I love him. Do you think it's worth the time? These are some rough sketches.

But basically I've got his whole surreal little universe figured out in my head. I could make a show with him, but I'd start with making storyboards before moving into animation.

What do you guys think of Ooz? Give your honest opinion of this liquid robot that has landed in a desolate world where sometimes plant matter pops up, to which he promptly accidentally destroys. I want to make a narrative about how humans are doing the same thing with the earth, but from a distant, abstract ideation.

I've always loved liquidness, and my own mind feels liquid. I want to express it somehow. So just lemme know what you think of the concept of this kind of character!

Last edited by Spenner; 02-26-2016 at 11:42 AM..
Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
cedolad
moonchild~
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to cedolad
Default Re: Motivate me

I dig the concepts! And especially the idea of making it a narrative about how humans are destroying the earth. Really neat ideas, and the style behind the art is definitely something I'm looking more forward to.

I think that if you don't do this, I'll have to chase you with a chainsaw. Because this is an amazing idea.

Seriously.

e: Also I feel since the character is well relate-able to you, it should be easy for you to find your own motivation, no offense Plus finding ideas for a story wouldn't be hard at all. Just would have to take reference from the real world, considering that's where I'm sure most of the inspiration for the story is coming from.

Last edited by cedolad; 02-26-2016 at 11:51 AM..
cedolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

i think when storyboarding any short or show, you do need the general progression of a narrative, something like introduction -> intro of conflict -> middle events in attempt to resolve conflict -> climax -> resolution | that nice old shindig

it would definitely be cute to see him kinda going to and fro, being super excited about plants, and then killing the plants and such, but there's like, no substance to that thought other than what i just said.

Also, in storyboarding, even for a random idea that you don't really plan on animating, you'll get to know your character more intimately, and discover and create new things about him that are quirky and such. For example, what exactly is the purpose of the extended blob of stuff extending from his head? Does it serve a purpose, and can it somehow become significant during an animation? etc. etc. etc.

#rambling, idk what i'm saying really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
V-Ormix
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

ur a beast
V-Ormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #5
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshL View Post
i think when storyboarding any short or show, you do need the general progression of a narrative, something like introduction -> intro of conflict -> middle events in attempt to resolve conflict -> climax -> resolution | that nice old shindig

it would definitely be cute to see him kinda going to and fro, being super excited about plants, and then killing the plants and such, but there's like, no substance to that thought other than what i just said.

Also, in storyboarding, even for a random idea that you don't really plan on animating, you'll get to know your character more intimately, and discover and create new things about him that are quirky and such. For example, what exactly is the purpose of the extended blob of stuff extending from his head? Does it serve a purpose, and can it somehow become significant during an animation? etc. etc. etc.

#rambling, idk what i'm saying really
Pretty much spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:46 PM   #6
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

Definitely a lot of reflections of the real world and my personality going into this Cedo, so I agree that it should be pretty natural, and quite fun I think 8) also it should look and animate a bit like Adventure Time with some style differences of course.

Great advice Yosh, I didn't really need this thread and it's kind of begging for something in hindsight lol-- it does need to just have a natural progression if I'm to do it. I'll start with storyboarding, build some more meat into the plot (shouldn't be hard, this is pretty much a template idea) and see where that takes me. I have a lot of surreal ideas (like visually demonstrating how to cope with anxiety or depression and just generally using weird but strong visual analogies) and animated visual art seems like a good platform to demonstrate that.

As for the bubble on the head, since this character is so clueless and absent minded I wanted to have separation between thoughts and action, so thought bubbles would bloom in that head thingy :P I suppose I should edit the drawings to demonstrate that, but I feel like it would zoom in or inflate when that happens, or flash a colour or something.

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:00 PM   #7
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

i guess, when translating an image concept to animation, you really have the opportunity to bring anything, and everything about your character to life, and it's really up to you how much you decide to flesh out every aspect of ooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:00 AM   #8
Ghakimx
Cutie&Handshaking Sounds
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Ghakimx

I think the first thing you should continue working out is his character. Answer the following questions and you can probably get things right:

What is his purpose in life?
What is his purpose in this work?
How does he change?
What is his personality?
How does he treat other people/things?
What events will occur to him?
How does he deal with problems?

I AM ASHAMED OF MY STUPIDITY AND MUST COMMIT SEPPUKU. FORGIVE ME, FFR.

Ninjas NEVER die. Now on a 30 kill streak.
Ghakimx is offline   Reply With Quote