Old 01-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #1
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691
Default 2015 March/April Set 1 (Complete)

Agartha - Xi
Creamy Sky - BTB
Maybe - Aqua Nintendo
Time Bomb - Feint & Boyinaband feat. Veela.
WonderWing - Sakuzyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl

Last edited by psychoangel691; 01-29-2016 at 08:51 AM..
Old 01-31-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
HeZe
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to HeZe
Default Re: 2015 March/April Set 1

What a quality set!

8/10 - PASS

Technically beautiful and inspirating file with little to suggest:
- M31-M33 the two poly patterns and the one with 64ths. I am not sure if the noise in background is important enough to step these, especially when you haven't stepped them elsewhere... but ok.
- M61, that polypattern 123,13,2,3,2,134: IMO a bit harsh. The section before that place in M59-M60 where the music speeds up could be stepped heavier instead.
I enjoyed this very much.

Diff 70-72

9.5/10 - PASS

Very, very, very nice! No suggestions at all to make it any different. It is complete.

Diff 77-80

10/10 - PASS!

Smart patterning, and layering. Well done. I was wondering why you have a stream instead of a jumpstreat starting at M36, but later on you will have that jumpstream and it makes sence. A stream followed by a jumpstream makes the file indeed more interesting. Great work!

PS. Missflag >.<

Diff 44

7.5/10 - PASS

The song is generally well stepped. I think that at various places the vocals were JUST SLIGHTLY off, but maybe not enough to start whinching about them more. It was just a bit uninteresting, but you do what the music lets you.

Diff around 20

10/10 - PASS!

Bravo! Excellent stepfile. It is very clear that the stepartist has put a lot of thought to the patterning to make it smooth, rolling, flowing and jamming. I won't hesitate to give 10/10 when the file is better than 99% of the files which are already in FFR.

Diff 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
Your strengths and weaknesses may never change, but they will still get better as you do, albeit disproportionately of course. You're bad at jumpstream, so just play jumpstream files. Play them for hours. Play ones you have to struggle to SDG, and play ones hard enough to make your hands and arms burn. Then play them some more. Then, the day after the next, play them again. If you aren't already doing this, you can't say you're stuck. Plateauing doesn't really exist, if you aren't improving it means you haven't put in the effort needed to improve, or your effort has been misapplied. It's more of a problem at really high levels, but never totally concrete.

Last edited by HeZe; 01-31-2016 at 09:57 AM..
Old 05-3-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Super fun, well-stepped. I can tell that a lot of time was put into this file.

suggested difficulty: 76
Rating: 10/10

Fun file, jumpstreams flowed very well. Why not step all the drum beats in the section starting around note 350? It's not like the file holds back any in the later stages :P

Difficulty suggestion: 73
Rating: 9/10

PR'd beautifully. I think some of the places you decided to put hands don't deserve hands. Also, I would probably layer some jumps into the beginning sections. That heavy drum beat is just asking for it!

Suggested difficulty: 52
Rating: 7.5/10

m17-31 was stepped too literally and it ended up making the section very mundane. Just because the music rocks back and forth between those two notes doesn't mean that it needs to be reflected in the stepfile. You should switch up the patterning there just a tad bit to bring a bit more flavor.

Suggested difficulty: 14
Rating: 6.5/10

No real critique, file is stepped well.

Suggested difficulty: 72
Rating: 10/10

Last edited by rushyrulz; 05-3-2016 at 06:16 PM..
Old 06-3-2016, 11:12 PM   #4
inDheart
Picker @ JAX2
FFR Simfile Author

first time doing notes here so we'll see how this goes

Agartha: 9/10

- pretty fun, nice work
- the hands/ta-ri-ples at the start feel really nice even if they aren't the most musically warranted (isn't that the same note twice, then a third different note?)
- m32: why these 12ths and not any other time they come up? it does make sense to signal the section transition but you seem to have the space/time for them earlier, and it seems like this is the only run to this instrument in the whole file since it gets skipped later in favor of the piano. more a question than anything else really
- interesting choice of instrumentation in the sections around m32 as well
- m93: it was a bit interesting to me that these are jumps/hands since it seems a touch more aggressive than the piano+cymbal were in that whole preceding section, which is itself rather light compared to earlier

Creamy Sky: 9/10

- pretty straightforward, good mix between what the kick and synth are doing
- creamy streamy
- don't really like many of the white notes, because you use them for the yell right near the start and at m33 but after that they are really just for the one other sound which is at a section boundary anyway. it's variety though, i guess. and cream

Maybe: 6/10

- m2: the piano really deserves hands on its own? i'd say jumps at most until you bring the other instruments in, because there weren't even any layering changes on the 4th when they did arrive
- m35: this stream almost feels like a mess compared to the previous (wonderful) section; i feel like you could selectively leverage some other instruments here
- m42: lmao what are these jumps doing
- m43: then you introduced the clap to that stream and stick with it for the rest of the song. that same stream stretches waaay down to m67 where you drop it for the synth. somewhere in here would be a great time to play with other instruments or change something up, because right now 1/3 of this song is the same thing repeated
- m67: you have some nice patterns here though i'm wondering whether the switch from ab[cd]ba (where abcd are some notes) to ab.ab was intentional. pitch would dictate keeping an ab[cd]ab pattern instead
- sorry, overall i just don't feel like this is quite ready for prime time though it does have a few great parts

Time Bomb: 7/10

- this is dance 2?
- so, many of the decisions you make in this file, you do very consistently, but i would encourage exploring the drum and bass at some point in the instrumental section after that first round of vocals (m31?) it's loud and proud in the song, and otherwise this section is sparser than the parts with the vocals
- PR really bothers me when you have things like 3.342 (say, at m9-m11) and the 3 actually matches with the 4, especially when things are so sparse in a file of this difficulty
- or even right at the start with 41.14 when the 2d and 4th notes match
- mostly moving for CQ because of the same thing as rushy's note. shake up them vocals a little

WonderWing: 10/10

- oh wow this file is smooth as butter
- adore the honky tonk
- honestly no complaints, it's all very comfortable, it's obvious a lot of attention and care and love has gone into this

Last edited by inDheart; 06-28-2016 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: my note about the piano was bad and i feel bad
Old 07-8-2016, 10:01 AM   #5
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

bmah finished the primary judge task for March/April 2015 Set 1. The notes can be seen below; this thread is being moved over to Completed Sets and the results/notes will be updated in the March/April 2015 thread.

[7/10] Agartha {Xi} (DarkZtar)
- 6.91-9.04s: intro piano glissandos are 48ths and begin on a 16th note. As such, I'd recommend a jump instead of a hand at 9.04s.
- optional: I recommend layering the syncopated drums on the 8ths to get a better feel of the song's general rhythm; e.g. 9.86s,10.52s,11.18s. It just feels like something is missing when the only percussion layered in are the occasional snares on 4ths.
- 27.30-28.12s: found the color theory here to be slightly excessive and minor
- 28.88s: burst, not jumps
- 30.03s: piano plays 24ths, not 32nds
- 33.63-40.85s: the synths upon which the trills follow don't seem to be as consistent as you might think, at least in regards to when they fade in and out. For instance, no 16th on 33.72s, but the following two trills do start on 16ths as you've stepped. No 16th on 36.34s as well as 40.27s. Interestingly enough, you did pay attention to this the second time around (e.g. you correctly omitted a 16th at 44.21s).
- 50.77s,51.75s,52.57s: missing 16th (first two to synths, the third to piano)
- 54.29s,55.60s,61.01s,61.34s,etc.: jump to kick. It seems that you omitted this for the most part, which threw me off slightly since the previous section had the percussions layered.
- 60.03s: also jump to kick, but a 16th jump follows, so that may be optional. But soon after, you choose to omit the 16th jump to the melody at 61.75s and opted for the 8th beat kick instead. So be consistent and either choose one thing to layer or layer both.
- 63.06s: missing 16th jump to melody (would make a small jumptrill).
- 64.13-64.29s: still 24ths here
- 68.31s: missing 16th to piano
- 72.98-73.42s: the melody goes to 12ths, not 16ths. So reconsider the overall pattern to accomodate for the polyrhythm
- 78.55s: jump to accented kick
- 82.57s,103.55s: ghost 16th?
- 86.20s,93.74s,etc.: missing 12ths to these mini bursts
- 91.07s,110.74s,112.05s: left out a 24th
- 97.73-97.90s,118.72-118.88s: sounds like the 24ths continue here
- 101.45s: another small 48th mini burst missing
- Summary: Plays quite well and is enjoyable enough, but seems to have a fair bit of technical holes upon inspection. I would recommend fixing stuff like missing sounds and incorrect rhythms, and then I'll leave more subjective matters such as layering to you.

[8*/10] Creamy Sky {BTB} (DarkZtar)
- 13.46s,13.70s,13.93s,14.25s,etc.: considering the difficulty of this file, I don't think it'd hurt to step the synths a bit more accurately to this first jumpstream section here. Optional of course, and will depend on the difficulty you desire, but I hear the melody pretty clearly. Generalization of the melody fits better with the subsequent jumpstreams (like at 45.51s).
- 40.46-42.91s: oh yuck! I understand you want to acknowledge the drumroll, but at this BPM, these patterns are hard to pull off. Either change the individual arrows going to the melody so that the resulting jumps aren't split upon two hands (i.e.[13] and [24]), or redo this section without long trills. Some other pattern can likely accomplish this while still acknowledging the drum roll.
- 43.46s,86.41s: no reason not to start the 16th drum roll here. Missing 16th as well on 45.43s and 32nd on 88.38s.
- 65.72-67.62s: where are the steps to the melody??
- Summary: For the most part a fine jumpstream file. Fix up the drumrolls, the missing melody at 65.72s, and especially the patterning on the drum roll at 40.46s - I give this file a conditional rating as a result. Everything else plays quite smoothly.

[4/10] Maybe {Aqua Nintendo} (kacper_w)
- the sync is way too early. Change from +0.030sec --> -0.025sec.
- 13.52s: for a better sense of progression, I'd start stepping the synth around here, instead of at 22.71s.
- 22.90s,23.18s,etc.: missing many 16ths to the synth. The stepping of the emphasized parts of the melody is something I would consider with pad stepping or a file of an easier difficulty, but not so much with kb stepping.
- 27.02s: props to the good PR
- there is a lot of layering missing throughout the song, and while this may be argued as a stylistic choice or a choice in regards to controlling the difficulty, this works against you in terms of keeping things interesting. This is a trance song, and like many of the genre, is repetitive.
- for example, you could step the bass drum starting at 27.02s. An ongoing 16th synth can continue the 16ths at 43.15s. A drum roll makes things interesting such as short bursts of 32nds at 49.43-51.03s.
- 52.53s: this kind of stepping reminds me of the older FFR files where a somewhat ambiguous 16th synth emanates in the background and is stepped, while the main melody goes entirely unacknowledged. Frequently this would be for the sake of a 16th stream index file, but the patterns aren't entirely index-friendly in this case. I would advise against stepping just plain 16ths, as I don't think it gives much thought to the song itself. In some cases, such as at 73.53-76.53s, even the ambiguous 16th synths disappear. To put it succinctly, don't go on autopilot by stepping just 16ths. Acknowledge the music.
- 63.03-64.53s: why the constant 8th jumps here? What do they follow? Make sure that your steps have meaning to the song and are not merely filler arrows.
- 64.53s: it's nice to see some layering finally occurring
- 73.48s: missing 32nd to the drum roll could make this more interesting.
- 88.53s: jump to cymbal crash
- Summary: If this file was reviewed in the mid 2000s, it may have passed. These days however, there is more emphasis on focusing the steps towards the music, so you typically cannot step a string of 16ths on a trance song and call it a day. This file is also not truly index, so I would not be able to accept an argument on that. I recommend thinking about the instruments that comprise this song, and layer strategically to provide more variety to the steps.

[7.5/10] Time Bomb {Feint & Boyinaband feat. Veela} (DarkZtar)
- 24.79-25.30s: questionable PR as well as repetition on the up arrow
- 33.01s: maybe vary up the patterns a bit...you've been doing this up-down pattern for a while already
- 35.93s,88.04s,90.61s: missing 8th to lyrics
- 51.70-52.04s,62.67-63.01s: questionable PR
- 84.10s: missing arrow to kick
- 90.27-91.30s: lyrics become somewhat muddled due to interpreting the 16ths with only 8ths. If you can afford a couple 16ths (and I think that would be acceptable), that would make things easier to follow, but if you strictly want to stick with 8ths, that's fine too.
- 98.16s: random 4th?
- Summary: Consistent easy file, but still feels somewhat uninspired. A couple areas missing arrows to lyrics. Not much else of note.

[7/10] WonderWing {Sakuzyo} (DarkZtar)
- is the file not 149 BPM as opposed to 148.98?
- 5.74s: if I understand you're layering correctly, shouldn't this be a 16th jump (melody and drum)?
- 9.96-10.37s,etc.: I recommend reversing one set of the 16th jumps. The first set starts with the piano, then the kick, and the second set starts with the kick, then the piano. Actually, the piano on the first set is a single note and not even a chord.
- 11.88-12.28s,etc.: I don't get why there are two jumps here, while the drums at 12.18s and and 12.28s (or similar areas) are omitted. Consistency please.
- 14.70s,29.19s,etc.: more areas of inconsistency, missing jumps to drums and layering
- 15.20s: is it just me or are the drums doing something funny here with more than just 16ths?
- 32.92s: why 16th jump here? Again, I'm not quite sure if you're being somewhat selective of the melody, the drums/percussions, or both. It seems wishy-washy at times.
- 34.53s,47.42s: ghost 16th
- 39.57s: missing 16th
- 49.53-49.94s: here is just another example of what I'm trying to highlight. You have 16th going to hi-hat percussions, and I assume they also double up for the 16th melody (I'm guessing you're trying to avoid a jack if you layer the melody?). You continue to not acknowledge the melody from 50.14-50.94s, with jumps only going on emphasized percussion. But then the main melody briefly comes into the forefront at around 51.75-52.15s, with the percussion taking over again shortly after. What I'm saying is that your layering is such that the melody and percussion layering weaves back and forth, with jumps emphasizing the percussion usually more than the melody. This leaves a nebulous result with the acknowledgement of the melody only surfacing here and there.
- 61.21s: hi-hats start here, not later
- 65.14s: don't understand this 16th
- 65.24s,68.36s,etc.: hi-hats continue; they don't pause
- 72.09s: jump to piano + violin
- 84.57s,84.87s: missing arrows to violin
- 125.55s: missing 16th to bass melody
- 182.94-183.75s: missing 16ths to bass melody
- Summary: Very playable file with good PR when the melody is acknowledged. However, I can't help but feel that some areas seem rather ambiguous as a result of layering choices of the percussion and the melody - I tried to elaborate as best as I could above. Overall, put more emphasis on the melody when the layering threatens to dissolve the clarity of the stepping. I hope that makes sense!