Old 08-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #21
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219
Default Re: Songs of the Week (Aug 26, 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
Anyone?

Played the file again and now I'm really curious

p.s. front page post where
http://youtu.be/aY7-CE_6228?t=28s
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #22
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname219 View Post
Oooooh okay yeah that makes a lot of sense

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #23
hi19hi19
lol happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
when xiz's graphic is uploaded to the site by admin
admin pls

Serious post again (I'd be sorry for shitting up the SotW thread with this discussion but this HAS to be said so I'm not)

Honestly I think it's way more important than you might think that a FPP goes up with the release and the thread, and that they all reference each other.
If you look at the number of plays, number of players, and amount of discussion in the release threads, they are slightly but noticeably more active when the information is all presented at once. It's much easier to get a player's attention with simultaneous presentation of news than with a slow trickle of more ignorable, small notices.
By the way this means please start putting a link to these release threads in the FPP.

This kind of community building was something I discussed with Tass years ago.
Whatever bad blood there is/was with Tass, you can't question he knew how to run a community and organize a site, and it's obvious that FFR grew substantially with him heading the show. I'm seriously concerned about this community that I love so much shrinking, as I feel it is doing now. Simple things like presenting new song releases on time in a coordinated manner go very far in maintaining the feel of a community worth joining, and that's very key in player retention.
Please think of these things.

Last edited by hi19hi19; 08-28-2014 at 09:51 AM..
hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:25 AM   #24
HeZe
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to HeZe

Eternity: Really enjoyable song. 9/10

Caelumize: Sightread BF. The harder version is more fun to play, but this is a great warmup song. Nothing bad to say really! 8/10

Queen of Booflags : Lol I liked this! Managed to get 115 goods without a warmup, but I'm sure that I'm going to SDG this later. Challenging enough, and extra credits because my girlfriend thinks it's noisy and annoying 9/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
Your strengths and weaknesses may never change, but they will still get better as you do, albeit disproportionately of course. You're bad at jumpstream, so just play jumpstream files. Play them for hours. Play ones you have to struggle to SDG, and play ones hard enough to make your hands and arms burn. Then play them some more. Then, the day after the next, play them again. If you aren't already doing this, you can't say you're stuck. Plateauing doesn't really exist, if you aren't improving it means you haven't put in the effort needed to improve, or your effort has been misapplied. It's more of a problem at really high levels, but never totally concrete.

Last edited by HeZe; 08-31-2014 at 03:46 AM..
HeZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:59 AM   #25
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeZe View Post
Eternity: Really enjoyable song. 9/10
So here's how I feel in pretty fine detail about Eternity.

Eternity is a good file. Is it a great file that withstand time? Maybe not. I would say it's a 7/10. It is highly playable, but on a technical aspect it's not quite at the level it could be.

But what bothers me:

Quote:
Generally new players want something that won't put them to sleep
Don't you generalize and say a lot of people will find it boring. You can't know that. All players have a select field of music they will enjoy, maybe they'll play it and even though it's outside their norms they will love it. It would not be that surprising if this happens often. I mean shit I can't stand MLP or most of the pony music but I can listen to Sleep on repeat for a while and enjoy it. I can enjoy a few other songs like MLP Medley, hell VS Psychoshy's pretty good.

Quote:
Mostly I'm not satisfied with the technical aspects of this particular chart.
This is fine. I'm rarely ever 100% satisfied with a chart myself. I know I've redone songs that aren't even in FFR (yet or ever) on a whim. I know I've tinkered with Hero Of The Grey Area like 4 times at least since I finished it. I find mistakes everywhere.

Quote:
I bring up the song choice and community health issue in light of this release, because I think it's symptomatic of why the community isn't growing (among many other things, of course)
I honestly don't think the song choices matter all that much compared to the bigger problems such as the community that exists as a whole, or the fact secret and purchased genres make no sense number wise.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:00 AM   #26
HeZe
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to HeZe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post

I think this is harder than a 73 by the way, whoa, those steps feel awkward to hit, dohoho.
I agree, it should be something like 76 or 77

Now played it again to get 32 goods this time. A SDG won't be coming in ages

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
Your strengths and weaknesses may never change, but they will still get better as you do, albeit disproportionately of course. You're bad at jumpstream, so just play jumpstream files. Play them for hours. Play ones you have to struggle to SDG, and play ones hard enough to make your hands and arms burn. Then play them some more. Then, the day after the next, play them again. If you aren't already doing this, you can't say you're stuck. Plateauing doesn't really exist, if you aren't improving it means you haven't put in the effort needed to improve, or your effort has been misapplied. It's more of a problem at really high levels, but never totally concrete.

Last edited by HeZe; 08-31-2014 at 10:01 AM..
HeZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #27
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

Quote:
Nobody I've introduced to the game has started out caring about their score, or their ability.
Most new players I show the game to want more to enjoy the songs as they play the game, as opposed to play the game while listening to the song.
all i cared about when I started was being able to pass beethoven virus. It was super hard (1x no screencut ftw), but I was hooked on the music. I used to just play the songs I liked (stalled, megaman, breaking, etc... etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
I honestly don't think the song choices matter all that much compared to the bigger problems such as the fact secret and purchased genres make no sense number wise.
huh??

Quote:
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.

Last edited by popsicle_3000; 08-31-2014 at 10:28 AM..
popsicle_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #28
VisD
FFR Simfile Author

Yeah I'd agree that song choices aren't that big of a deal - no matter what song you release, there'll be a few people out there that find it one of their favourites on FFR. There's a market for everything, even sad pianer songs. Those other things middie listed are even less important though lol - hi19 highlighted the community building aspect and that's way more important imo

VisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-1-2014, 09:45 AM   #29
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Queen of Bootlegs. Wow.
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote