Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > The Werewolf Game
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
rzr
TWG Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rzr Send a message via MSN to rzr Send a message via Yahoo to rzr Send a message via Skype™ to rzr
Default TWG and jTWG Guide and Reference

Here is a strategy guide for both playing and hosting a TWG. For easier navigation, I made it so that clicking one part of the table of contentc will bring you directly to the link to that section on my website. So, just click the part you're interested, and be on your way!

Table of Contents -

1. A Basic Game
2. A Complex Game
3. Remainging Nuetral
4. Being A Good Host
5. 10 Cardinal Rules of TWG
6. Glossary
7. FAQs and Things To Know
8. The Rules
9. Acknowledgements

A Basic Game

Well, a basic j/TWG game would have only two types of players. The wolves and the humans. The game is divided up into two phases: the night and the day. During the night phase the wolves will choose which player they are selecting to kill or remove from the game. Depending on the complexity of the game, it may fail (see section 2; A Complex Game)
During the day phase the wolves attempt to blend in with the humans as the humans vote off a player whom they believe to be a wolf. A basic day would look like this:

Host: story plot here)

Host: Remaining Players:
  1. x
  2. a
  3. o
  4. w
  5. m
  6. l
  7. s
  8. u
  9. p
  10. c
  11. h
  12. y
Insta is at 6+ votes. Day ends at(exact time goes here)

Player x: I think player a is a wolf (present evidence here) Therefore, I vote for player a

Player y: I agree because of(back-up evidence here)I also vote for
player a.

Player c: I disagree, I think player h is a wolf because of (present evidence here) so I’m voting for player h

Player s: I agree with x and y. player a.

Player u: player a

Player p: player a

Player w: player a.

Player m: player a.

Host: That’s insta. Player a has been insta-lynched.
(Story line here)
Night --- has begun. It will end at(specific time here)

Now, do not forget that this is an example.
There would and absolutely should be a lot more information and evidence behind all claims and accusations. However, nothing is perfectly set. You really need to know and understand the people you are playing with before you jump to any conclusions, I cannot stress that enough. For example, you may play with somebody who is completely off-the-wall and accusing people left and right. However, that is how they act when they are a human, so do not stress about it. In contrast, you may play with somebody who is generally calm and meticulous with his or her evidence, yet is playing this game very odd and jumping to many conclusions/pointing the finger quickly/acting impulsive. Well, that character would need a lot more attention paid to him/her than usual.
When you are playing, do not forget to take into account certain things that could benefit you and/or your team. For example, if you are a wolf make sure to take into account who has phantoms and use them to your advantage. Alternatively, remember who can easily be swayed to see your side and casually persuade them into attacking another player. On the other hand, if you are a human, do not forget who has phantoms either. You want to keep them in mind so that if someone votes for them right away you may see that person as a threat looking to undermine you and eliminate that player via insta.

A Complex Game

Now, complex games are obviously harder than an average game and a new player should usually not jump into one right away. Complex games have everything from conversions to items and neutrals to curses. The range of expectancy in a complex game is never to even be attempted to estimate as they are very volatile and changing. The average complex game consists of five different roles. They are usually a Master Wolf, a Guardian, a Seer/Psychic, the humans, and the wolves. The Guardian and the Seer/Psychic are humans or more commonly referred to as Blues. The role of the Guardianis to stay alive and protect one person each night they’re alive to watch over and guard the life of. This person has one of the most important roles in the game and should remain undetected at almost all costs. Next is the Seer or Psychic. The roles of these two are different, they are just very common. The Seer is the most common role.

This person chooses one person each night to "seer" or sees the role of. When the Seer seers a person, the host will reply in a PM with the person’s name color coded to reflect that role (human, blue, wolf and other colors coordinating with the game). The role of the Psychic is very similar, yet not identical. The Psychic is given a PM from the host at the end of each day phase saying how many wolves are left and how many humans are left. This role can be manipulated to suit the roles of the game. Finally, there is the Master Wolf. The Master Wolf is a special wolf who when seered will come back as a human.

Another very popular role is the Masons. The Masons are a group of regular humans who know each other and know that one another are humans.

Remember, all these roles are tentative. In addition, they can all be manipulated to fit the game. For example, if you are playing with a psychic the host may decide that the master wolf (MW) will show up as a human to the psychic. Furthermore, NEVER think that just because a player was seered green means that they are a human. It does mean you can leave less suspicion on them that you would have normally, but do not ever eliminate them from your suspects. In fact, never eliminate anybody from your suspicions, just put some higher up on your priorities than others.

Items-
Items are always a fun element to a game, but should never be over used. Items usually have one or more of these three actions: Vigi, guard, and seer.

You already know what it means to guard and seer, but a vigi is new. A vigi is identical to a kill. In fact, it is a kill, just a human one. Vigi’s are done in either the day or night phase. The player receiving the item with the vigi would reply to the host saying "kill this person." It is up to the host if they would like the item to expire of not used or not.
In addition, the item actions I just listed are not limited to just this. You may make your items have any function you would like to. As a player, items are a lot of fun to receive. Remember if you are a wolf and get a vigi, it is always a great idea to use your vigi at night (if you are allowed to). It would be very smart if you killed someone who was accusing another player, therefore framing that player. On the other hand, if you have a seer make sure to use it on a person you suspect of having an important human role. Moreover, if you have a guard, it would be wise to use it during the day (if you are allowed to) to save a fellow wolf or yourself or to frame a human. As a human with an item, you need to think things out a little more thoroughly. If you have a vigi, make sure to try and kill a wolf and not just a random person. If you have a guard, make sure to try and guard someone who you either firmly believe is a human, or yourself (if you are allowed to). In addition, if you have a seer make sure to seer either a person you really trust or a person you really suspect. If you seer a person you trust you have a good chance of making an ally if they are a human or better yet, exposing them if they are a wolf. Or if you suspect them, seer them and you may either be able to knock them off your suspect list or make an ally.

Conversions –
Conversions are cool, but are very complicated to understand and even more difficult to put into a successfully hosted game. A conversion is when one person/item is turned into something else. For example, there may be a game where the wolves are allowed to convert a human to their team. Never make a game where a wolf can be converted to human (except lone wolves) because that wolf could just give the human the other wolves names. As a player playing with conversions can be difficult to fathom and you should keep your guard up even more than you usually would. You would not want to confirm someone as a human, only to have him or her converted to a wolf right under your nose. In addition, if you are a wolf you want to keep in mind whom to convert. Remember to pick a person who is good at the game and is very stealthy and will not get caught or would just be a valuable asset to your team.

Neutrals –
Neutral roles are a lot of fun to play with, and really vary. One way to play with neutrals is to make them pick which team to join. Another way is to make them as sot of a third team.

Being Active

There is not much to say here, but it is very important and does deserve its own section. A very wise thing to do is to remain active because it will help both you as a player and the game. It will help you as a player because if you are a wolf you will remain unsuspicious and as a human, you will be more apt to gain information. It will help the game because it will keep the game alive. Again, remain active. However, do not mistake this as telling you to postwhore. You do not want to be so active that it makes it look like you are hunting down information and therefore attaining suspicion. You want to just to be there when you are needed and to analyze all information displayed, no matter how small or meticulous it may seem.

Remaining Neutral

Again, there is not much to be said. However, you do want to pay attention. You never want to make statements that can be twisted or used against you in any way. If you are a wolf, never show signs of allegiance with a fellow wolf. A very good move to do is if you’re going to die, try and show as much allegiance to a particular human as possible. This generally assures that the humans will think that that person is a wolf also and lynch him/her based on that assumption. Heck, it may even gain you an MVP if you play it well enough.
If you are a human, you want to keep your statements relatively neutral. See, if you are a regular human you generally do not have much to lose. Take the risk of dying for your team. However, if you are a guardian, never do anything that will draw attention to yourself because the wolves may discover you or the humans may lynch you, both could result in the loss of your team.

Knowing ‘when to hold em and when to fold em’

This entire concept in voided in TWG. Never give up, never back down, NEVERaccept defeat! If you are a wolf, never admit that you are a wolf. Even after death, insist that you are a human. Even facing insta or being seered. If you are a human, the exact same rule applies. Never say anything that could be taken as ‘wolfish’ and never admit to being a wolf.
Note: When you are a wolf and are about to be seered, try to casually sway the seer’s opinion towards someone else. Only if you are a regular wolf. If you are the master wolf, do not be very intimidated to being seered. You can either act nonchalant and say "yeah, I’m human, go seer me" or you can say "I’m a human, so you can seer me. But it would be a waste". It is really up to you and which you feel more comfortable doing.

Being A Good Host

Well, many things need to be taken into account when you are a host. I will do this to describe it:

1. Double check all PM’s
2. Make specific times for ending phases
3. Explain everything clearly and thoroughly
4. Be fair, but tough
5. Never give out unnecessary information
6. Never be biased
7. Write good stories
8. Don’t forget player sign-ups and times
9. Be experienced before hosting
10. Don’t forget the post-game
11. Don’t forget the host-sign ups

1 - When I say double check the PM’s you send I do not mean double-check them. I mean triple check them. A few things to remember are to send each PM individually. Remember that it may be easier to send all the human messages an once, but it shows every person that received the same PM therefore telling the humans who’s who. Also, spice things up. It’s boring to get a PM that just says "you’re a human, you know what to do. Make it fun and make the players feel like they have a goal. Another thing is when sending seer/psychic results, be very clear yet do not ever give anything away that was not supposed to have been. What I mean is, if you are sending a seer reply saying that the person just seered is green, just write player x. Do not write human because that verifies that player x was a human, when they may have been a wolf. However, make sure to re-read your messages before sending them for typos, corrections, things you missed, and things that should not be in the message.

2 – Make sure that you specify on when each phase ends. For example, if you’re living in Florida and ending the night at 7 in the evening on a Friday you would want to say this: Day x is over. Night y has begun. It will end Friday, (month) (day number) at 7:00 PM EST. Nevertheless, remember to be there. Do not say you are going to end it at one time and end it at another. There are exceptions to this. The biggest one is an extension. If enough players request an extension on a particular phase, do not be afraid to give it to them. This does not necessarily apply to the wolves. If they do not send their kill by the deadline it is up to you to extend the night (showing that the wolves haven’t been online, giving the humans information) or to randomly select a player to die.

3 – Always be clear and concise. When you say a phase is ending, end it. When you implement a particular rule or do not implement one, make absolute sure every person understands this otherwise bad situations can occur.

4 – Never be biased. It does not matter how much you like a team or a player, never treat them any better than another player. Also, is per say your friend asks for an extension of the phase but every one else wants it to end at time x, end it at time x. Again, they may be your friend but this game is based on what the majority thinks. If a majority wants the phase to end, you end it. This, however, does not apply to ending phases early. Also, never give unwarranted information to a player. If your friend is a human, do not "accidentally" slip the name of a wolf. Alternatively, if your friend is a wolf, do not "accidentally" let the guardian’s role slip. It does not matter how close you are to the person, all players must be treated fair.

5 – Already summarized.

6 – Already summarized.

7 – Ah yes, writing stories, my personal favorite part of hosting. A very good key to hosting successful games is the atmosphere you display. If you write and amazing story that everybody likes, they are sure to comment on it therefore causing activity. A few good elements of stories is using the players names in the stories, they always like that and it makes people feel important. Also, use lots of adjectives. I do not want to sound like your English teacher, but the more descriptive a story is the better it is. If you say "and John was killed" you are going to be boring. However, if you say "the bloody torso of John and his family was discovered at the scene of the crime, the head nowhere to be found" you will keep people reading.
Another part of this is writing good PM stories. Something people like is to receive a personal PM. A good PM for a human would read: "Hello there, Bob. You are sitting in a cold and dark room, knowing not what goes around you and hardly understanding your own thoughts. Oh, but you see and hear me just fine. In addition, what am I telling you, Bob? I am telling you, you are pathetic. You are a silly little human and you will be killed. Your family will be killed. Your friends will be killed. Your town will be burned. Well… unless you can capture the people dong this first…".
Now see, you actually wanted to read that. It is good to keep people’s attention. A good key to this is to select a good theme. Select a theme that everyone is familiar with and a theme that you know you can write a good story for.

8 – Do not forget to make particular times for people to sign up to the game. It is usually helpful to make two separate times because many players cannot get on the computer to sign up at one time. Making two or more times assures that there will be a good variety and it indirectly assures activity because you have people on the computer at different times therefore meaning you can have almost around-the-clock activity.

9 – You want to be an experienced player before you host a game. Do not just jump into something you have never done before. You really need to have a full understanding of the game, the roles, the people, the times, and every other element before you can run a game.

10 – Do not forget to make your post game. A good post game will include a list of players, there AIM screen names, and what their role was. A great post game would be much more elaborate. It would include the players name’s, AIM addresses, what there role was, if they were victorious or not, what phase they died in if they died, the order of guards/seers and successes/results of each, etc. Another thing I always include in a post-game is an overall analysis of how each individual player played. Make sure to point out both flaws and weaknesses and tell the player how they can improve. Be Specific! Also, do not forget to have an MVP or Most Valuable Player award. People always are excited when they win it and it sparks a lot of conversation. Something you want to do is to specify on why you gave that player(s) the award and what other players could have done to be more like that. Do not forget about the LVP award either, it is not popular but it helps emphasize on certain details. Do not forget that when you host a jTWG it is mandatory to say which players are suitable for TWG and which are not along with why and how they can improve.

11 – Do not forget to make the host sign-ups for the next game or someone is sure to get irked.

Ten Cardinal Rules of j/TWG

1. Be active – always be around when you’re called upon and don’t be afraid to give your input on a situation

2. Record all AIM conversations – you never know when you’re going to need these, but save them and study them

3. Take notes – it couldn’t hurt to make a memo of something suspicious and review it later

4. Know the other players – don’t make irrational judgements or impulsive accusations before you know the people you’re accusing or judging

5. Don’t expect anything – don’t get your hopes up about anything, and don’t try to weasel information out of the host

6. Do not take anything to heart – people in this game tend to flame quite a lot. If somebody calls you an idiot, do not take it personal. Learn from your mistakes, improve your playing, and come back and kick their ass!

7. Be specific – when you are presenting your evidence never be vague. You want to lay out every detail as if you were explaining it to a toddler. Make sure to include examples and be thorough

8. Make a good case – before you ever present your evidence read, re-read, and re-re-read it. Check for typos and make sure you have everything in the proper place. Make sure you have plenty of evidence that you know the other players will believe

9. Respect the other players – even if they do not show you respect, respect them. "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you". And always respect the TWC (The Werewolf Council)

10. Have fun! Enjoy yourself, have a good time! Remember, it is only a game.

Note: To address number two in more detail, it is very strategic to look at the times of important things. For example, it is the day phase and a player tells you "oh yeah, I trust Steve" at 07:46:32 (PM) according to the AIM log, but right before that votes for Steve. There may be something-fishy going on if they are lying to you.

The TWG Glossary

Active –
To participate in the game adequately

Activity –
The amount of active people in the game compared to amount of players
remaining

AIM –
America Online Instant Messaging system, the standard means of communication in TWG

Blue –
The common term for a special human; the color a person is seered as

Conversions –
The past tense of convert

Convert –
the act of changing a player’s team or attempting to do so

Curse –
A method of balancing a game

Day –
The phase in which the humans select a player to kill whom they believe to be a wolf

Extend –
The act of increasing the longevity of a particular phase

Green –
The term used commonly to refer to a players role as human; the color a player was seered

Guard –
A human with the power to save the life of one player each night

Guard (2) –
The act of guarding a player’s life

Host –
The person who is running the current game, knows all the roles, and is in charge

Host sign-ups –
The thread designed for people to display their game ideas and other people to vote on which game to play

Human –
A person who is on the human team as opposed to the wolves

Insta –
A scenario during the day phase in which a player is lynched by a vote of more than half the amount of currently living players

Items –
Individual cyber objects that give the holder a particular power

JTWG –
The Junior Werewolf Game

Kill –
To eliminate a player from the game

Lonewolf –
A role in which the player is a wolf, yet does now know who the other wolves are

LVP –
The Least Valuable Player award given to a player the host deems contributed the least to the game

Lynch –
To kill during the day phase

Mason
A common role in which a certain amount of players knows one another and their role

Master Wolf
The wolf role in which when seered this person shows up as a human

Millers
The roles where the seering results will vary according to the host’s instructions

MVP
The Most Valuable Player award given to the player who the host believes contributed the most to the game and/or won for their team

Neutral
To remain on no side

Neutral (2) –
A role in which the player is no neither team

Night
The phase in which the wolves kill someone

Phantom(s) –
A penalty for not voting that does not apply to insta lynches

Phase
The term given for the particular time in which the game is currently at

Player
An individual person who is in the game competeing fir his or her team

Player Sign-Ups – T
he thread specifically designed for the curent host to make a list of players who will be playing in his ir her game

PM
Private message abbreviation

Post-Game
The thread in which the roles are revelaed and game ended where players can talk freely about tactict they used and what-not

Postwhore
The act of making repaeted posts on a thread

Postwhore (2)
A person who makes repeated posts on a thread

Psychic
A player who is a special human, or blue, who recieves a host PM at the end of each day phase saying how many wolves and how many humans remain in the game

Red
The term used commonly to refer to a wolf

Red (2)
The color a person may have been seered

Safety
A vote that is used to avoid a phantoms that has no basis of suspicion, generally placed on a player with no other votes or phantoms

Seer
The role in which the player is a spcial human, or blue, and chooses one other player each night to see the roles of

Seer (2)
The act of seeing another player’s role

Story
The part of the gmae where the host writes a small plot to go along with the game

Suspect
A person who shows qualities of being a particular role, therefore placing him or her under suspcion

Suspect (2)
To think someone of being a particual role

Theme
The particular story line basis selected by the host

TWC
The Werewolf Council, a panel of impartial judges used to make rules, enforce rules, and assist the games

TWG
The Werewolf Game

Vigi
A kill neither by lynching or wolfing

Vote
A tally of marks against a player

Wolf
A person on the wolf team as opposed to the human team

Wolf (2) – To kill at night using wolf powers

FAQ’s And Things To Know

Moderators : DarkManticoreX2 , Shashakiro (DarkManticoreX2 is more reliable to reach)
TWC: Brilliant Dynamite Neon, Travman301, DarkManticoreX2, Thunderstrike687, pntballa18, roundbox, Makilaz
Advisable Threads To See:

the TWG History thread jTWG History thread, The Old Guide, Chardish’s Newbie threads one and two, Kilga’s Default Wolf Conditions thread, My Phantom thread, The Rules (also see below), and, of course, The TWC thread.
The Rules!

The rules can be found here and here.

Acknowledgements

Thank you to pntballa18 (reviewing), Makilaz (revwieng), Brilliant Dynamite Neon (references), travman301 (reviewing), emerald000 (reviewing), and thunderstrike687 for riewving this and adding their input to make it even better! Thank you to all players who have helped me come to these conclusions and write this.

To credit all players, I will tell you that I sent out individual messages to each player I’ve played with and here are there responses:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkManticoreX2
Host: Be on time. If you say day ends at 7, be there at 7
Player: Be active and participate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynary Fission
For host, no. For player, keep your statements as neutral as possible in order to not appear as either a human or a wolf. This will avert suspicion. That's really all I did...oh and talk with others as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKirth
Well, I'm still learning new things in the game myself. But if there's one thing to consider, it is that of incorporating the idea of "there are some things a wolf would never say" into your overall analysis of all possibilities, and not to just rely on that ideal alone.
As for being a host, I guess try ending the phases from afternoon to evening on the PST-EST time zone spectrum. I don't think it's good to try ending them in the mornings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamon88
Err...I guess I got a few.
Try to make the game interesting if you're the host, not just the typical TWG or jTWG. The one where everyone was trying to kill each other is a good example. You know, the irregular one. The Mystery Game.
As for a player, you should respect others. The recent jTWG was a flamefest, which is never good. Try to be helpful, but, unless you are 100% sure, don't trust anybody!
Umm...I think that's about it.
Oh one more thing.
BE ACTIVE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugglinguy
No, I don't have any tips on being a good player/host, but I do have tips on being a good host/player.
The only thing I know is to not postwhore, but don't post too little either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aTzUeLo1191
1. BE ACTIVE!!!!! Be on AIM and get good info.
2. For noobs like me: if you are confused, don't be afraid to ask questions. The people here are nicer than most of the general FFR forum regulars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meno_rocks123
If you want to be a good host, write good stories, they're always enjoyable, keep track of the lynch votes as best you can, and be ready to help anyone that asks for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooey100
For hosting, make sure the balance isn't ruined if a certain role is killed early/late.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pntballa18
double and triple check to make sure you have all the PMs before starting the daytime (before the deadline that is).
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald000
There isn't much to teach about that. All I could say is stay active and do your best to help your team. The rest you have to learn on the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FictionJunction
evidence always makes its way through to everyone regardless - seeking it is almost always a waste of time. This is why when seeking information being overly curious can make you seem like a wolf. Everyone has their perks, though, so different actions can be excused if a player's motives are clear and congruent with what is going on in game and the roles we're playing with.
If something is out of line it calls for immediate attention, but one should never focus on it. Players make wrong decisions and it is up to every player to identify who screwed up as a human and who succeeded as a wolf.
There is no such thing as strategy when it comes to determining who is a wolf or not. I don't believe there is a general way of acting when given a specific role. Wolves don't get more involved the regular humans do. A very involved person could very well be a wolf or a stupid human asking too many questions. When analyzing I consider the following: Allegiances over actions - actions over words - words over stereotypes.
Note: Several of these responses have had sections deleted that did not pretain to TWG, though none were edited.
Well, that’s all. Thank you for reading and get out there and play some great games! And who knows, perhaps you’ll be the next big name mentioned?

P.S. All information in here is set on the sole basis of the TWG Forum on FlashFlashRevolution.com as of Tuesday, May 13, 2008 12:21 PM EST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
Everyone sucks at this game. The second you think you're good is the second you stop trying to get better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
i had a mri the other day it was the best song i heard in years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite-
More of a joke than the time I deleted all the credits on the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
yeah my goldfish think im a riot they do this thing where they turn upside down and float to the top of the tank

i guess their alcohol tolerance isnt as high as mine

Last edited by rzr; 09-8-2008 at 04:31 PM..
rzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
rzr
TWG Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rzr Send a message via MSN to rzr Send a message via Yahoo to rzr Send a message via Skype™ to rzr
Default Re: TWG and jTWG Guide and Reference

Edit, this is all still in the works and being re-formatted for easier reading. I would edit it right now, but the WIN 98 I'm on won't read it.

Quote:
Everyone sucks at this game. The second you think you're good is the second you stop trying to get better.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
yeah my goldfish think im a riot they do this thing where they turn upside down and float to the top of the tank

Old 05-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
Kekeb
davai
FFR Veteran

Looks good so far, perhaps you could add a general description of what TWG is and contrast/comparison to Mafia.
Kekeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
dooey100
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I have a few things to sy about this, but I'll say them when I'm not at school.

Looks pretty good so far.
dooey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
aTzUeLo1191
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aTzUeLo1191

Very impressive, and yeah, I agree with Kekeb - a little info on Mafia wouldn't hurt. But other than that this is very well put together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitznpv View Post
brb suicide
JOIN TWG NAO!!!
aTzUeLo1191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
Kekeb
davai
FFR Veteran

The main point to my post was that someone who is new to Mafia-esque games may not even know what the game is.
Kekeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
hoochan
woah shrooms
FFR Veteran

i smell sticky fishing

long ass guide btw but its detailed so ++
hoochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
Xception704
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Find a different method of naming the players instead of just 'a' or 'b' or whatever ... it can be confusing.
Xception704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
robertsona
missa in h-moll
FFR Simfile Author

god fix those tags lol.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #10
sc979
FFR Player
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to sc979

Looks pretty good.

But spelling needs fixing too. You misspelled 'reviewing' 3 different ways on the same two lines.

edit: >_<

Last edited by sc979; 05-13-2008 at 05:16 PM..
sc979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #11
rzr
TWG Veteran

Wow, guys, thank you A LOT! <3 What I'm doing right now on my computer is re-formatting it. What I mean is, fixing tags, dividing it up to be read easier and find things easier, etc. I'm looking for a few things here: one, DrKirth helped me out greatly with the complete list of all players ever. Later I drafted up all (both games) hosts AND MVPs ever. Should I add them into the index?

P.S. I've never played mafia, but I do know what it is, who wants to help me draft that part up?

P.P.S. Sadly the OP is to large to edit, so I'll need to re-post it when it's COMPLETELY done.

EDIT:Anybody who wants to be mentioned in it for having their part in creating it, PM me th link to your forum profile. Remember, I'm doing it all on my crappy non-internet computer, so I have to manually type all tags, etc.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by rzr; 05-13-2008 at 05:30 PM..
Old 05-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #12
dooey100
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I can help with the comparison to Mafia, I've played and hosted a couple times, so it shouldn't be too hard.

PS working on my in-depth analysis
Old 05-13-2008, 05:37 PM   #13
rzr
TWG Veteran

Ok, sounds good to me. What I'll do is leave an empty section to add it in. Also, when I say re-format what I mean is re-doing the TOC, in the glossary I'm underlining and bolding each word before it's definition, color coded lists in complex games, adding the comparison, etc, etc. Mainly perfecting the TOC so it'd be easier to navigate. So, like, if someone's a first-time host they can go 'oh, ok, section 6!' instead of hunting it down.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #14
rzr
TWG Veteran

Ok, double posting to announce I've added an introduction (new section 1) and a What Is Mafia? (new section 9). Other than what I just named, what else shall I add?

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #15
dooey100
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzr View Post
Well, you asked for it. Now here it is, a strategy guide for both playing and hosting. After careful review of the rules and all scenarios, I have drafted up this guide. I must add special thanks to my good friend, DrKirth, for putting together the list of all players in both games, ever
Now, I’ve tried to break this Guide up into several different smaller section, AKA a
Personally, I would split this into two topics, one for players and one for hosts. Keeps things organized.

Quote:
Table of Contents:
  1. A Basic Game
  2. A Complex Game
  3. Being Active
  4. Remaining Neutral
  5. Knowing ‘when to fold em and when to hold em’
  6. Being A Good Host
  7. 10 Cardinal Rules of TWG
  8. Glossary
  9. Index
  10. FAQs and Things To Know
  11. The Rules
  12. Acknowledgements
I know you have the glossary at the end, but some basic terms would be useful at the start, things like 'night' 'day' 'color' etc.

Quote:

A Basic Game
Well, a basic j/TWG game would have only two types of players. The wolves and the humans. The game is divided up into two phases: the night and the day. During the night phase the wolves will choose which player they are selecting to kill or remove from the game. Depending on the complexity of the game, it may fail (see section 2; A Complex Game)
During the day phase the wolves attempt to blend in with the humans as the humans vote off a player whom they believe to be a wolf. A basic day would look like this:
Games without blues are rare enough that they really shouldn't be considered. If you are talking about a basic game, I would suggest mentioning at least the seer, guardian, psychic, and master wolf.

Quote:
Host:(story plot here)
  1. x
  2. a
  3. o
  4. w
  5. m
  6. l
  7. s
  8. u
  9. p
  10. c
  11. h
  12. y
Insta is at 6+ votes. Day ends at
(exact time goes here)
Player x: I think player a is a wolf (present evidence here) [i]Therefore, I vote for player a
Player y: I agree because of(back-up evidence here)[i]I also vote for player a.
Player c: I disagree, I think player h is a wolf because of (present evidence here) so I’m voting for player h
Player s: I agree with x and y. player a.
Player u: player a
Player p: player a
Player w: player a.
Player m: player a.
Host: That’s insta. Player a has been insta-lynched.
(Story line here)
Flesh this out a bit. Give people names, make a short story, make an actual day ending time, and give an example of some evidence. Something like: "I vote James because he always voted the same person Ralph did and we know Ralph was a wolf.

Quote:
Now, do not forget that this is an example. There would and absolutely should be a lot more information and evidence behind all claims and accusations. However, nothing is perfectly set. You really need to know and understand the people you are playing with before you jump to any conclusions, I cannot stress that enough. For example, you may play with somebody who is completely off-the-wall and accusing people left and right. However, that is how they act when they are a human, so do not stress about it. In contrast, you may play with somebody who is generally calm and meticulous with his or her evidence, yet is playing this game very odd and jumping to many conclusions/pointing the finger quickly/acting impulsive. Well, that character would need a lot more attention paid to him/her than usual.
When you are playing, do not forget to take into account certain things that could benefit you and/or your team. For example, if you are a wolf make sure to take into account who has phantoms and use them to your advantage. Alternatively, remember who can easily be swayed to see your side and casually persuade them into attacking another player. On the other hand, if you are a human, do not forget who has phantoms either. You want to keep them in mind so that if someone votes for them right away you may see that person as a threat looking to undermine you and eliminate that player via insta.
Knowing the other players should probably go under its own headline, seeing how it is one of the most important ways to catch wolves.

If I were doing it I would have special sections in the table of contents for Playing as a Human (Green), and Playing as a Wolf (Red)

Quote:
A Complex Game
Now, complex games are obviously harder than an average game and a new player should usually not jump into one right away. Complex games have everything from conversions to items and neutrals to curses. The range of expectancy in a complex game is never to even be attempted to estimate as they are very volatile and changing. The average complex game consists of five different roles. They are usually a Master Wolf, a Guardian, a Seer/Psychic, the humans, and the wolves. The Guardian and the Seer/Psychic are humans or more commonly referred to as Blues. The role of the Guardianis to stay alive and protect one person each night they’re alive to watch over and guard the life of. This person has one of the most important roles in the game and should remain undetected at almost all costs. Next is the Seer or Psychic. The roles of these two are different, they are just very common. The Seer is the most common role. This person chooses one person each night to "seer" or sees the role of. When the Seer seers a person, the host will reply in a PM with the person’s name color coded to reflect that role (human, blue, wolf and other colors coordinating with the game). The role of the Psychic is very similar, yet not identical. The Psychic is given a PM from the host at the end of each day phase saying how many wolves are left and how many humans are left. This role can be manipulated to suit the roles of the game. Finally, there is the Master Wolf. The Master Wolf is a special wolf who when seered will come back as a human.
Another very popular role is the Masons. The Masons are a group of regular humans who know each other and know that one another are humans.
Remember, all these roles are tentative. In addition, they can all be manipulated to fit the game. For example, if you are playing with a psychic the host may decide that the master wolf (MW) will show up as a human to the psychic. Furthermore, NEVER think that just because a player was seered green means that they are a human. It does mean you can leave less suspicion on them that you would have normally, but do not ever eliminate them from your suspects. In fact, never eliminate anybody from your suspicions, just put some higher up on your priorities than others.
This is a pain to read. Sorry, but it need some work.

First, make sure you explain why you are using colored text. Make the Master wolf all red, not half red half green, as that will probably confuse a newbie more than it helps.

Second, organize the roles in a list like you would in a host sign up thread.

Third, have a role description, which is pretty basic, like "The seer is a human with a special power, he can PM the host each night with a name, and at the end of the night he finds out what role that person has." Then go into more detail, like the basic strategy of being a seer, ie. when to come out to the thread (almost always), when to share seering results, how to form an alliance, how to deal with counterclaims, etc.

Possibly add some of the less common, but still simple roles, like Vigilante and wolfsbane.

Quote:
Items- Items are always a fun element to a game, but should never be over used. Items usually have one or more of these three actions: Vigi, guard, and seer.
You already know what it means to guard and seer, but a vigi is new. A vigi is identical to a kill. In fact, it is a kill, just a human one. Vigi’s are done in either the day or night phase. The player receiving the item with the vigi would reply to the host saying "kill this person." It is up to the host if they would like the item to expire of not used or not.
In addition, the item actions I just listed are not limited to just this. You may make your items have any function you would like to. As a player, items are a lot of fun to receive. Remember if you are a wolf and get a vigi, it is always a great idea to use your vigi at night (if you are allowed to). It would be very smart if you killed someone who was accusing another player, therefore framing that player. On the other hand, if you have a seer make sure to use it on a person you suspect of having an important human role. Moreover, if you have a guard, it would be wise to use it during the day (if you are allowed to) to save a fellow wolf or yourself or to frame a human. As a human with an item, you need to think things out a little more thoroughly. If you have a vigi, make sure to try and kill a wolf and not just a random person. If you have a guard, make sure to try and guard someone who you either firmly believe is a human, or yourself (if you are allowed to). In addition, if you have a seer make sure to seer either a person you really trust or a person you really suspect. If you seer a person you trust you have a good chance of making an ally if they are a human or better yet, exposing them if they are a wolf. Or if you suspect them, seer them and you may either be able to knock them off your suspect list or make an ally.
Much of the strategy of using items is pretty much the same as when you have the role that the item corresponds to. Simply referring to that roles description should be enough.

Also, some of this should be in the How to Host section of the guide.

Quote:
Conversions – Conversions are cool, but are very complicated to understand and even more difficult to put into a successfully hosted game. A conversion is when one person/item is turned into something else. For example, there may be a game where the wolves are allowed to convert a human to their team. Never make a game where a wolf can be converted to human (except lone wolves) because that wolf could just give the human the other wolves names. As a player playing with conversions can be difficult to fathom and you should keep your guard up even more than you usually would. You would not want to confirm someone as a human, only to have him or her converted to a wolf right under your nose. In addition, if you are a wolf you want to keep in mind whom to convert. Remember to pick a person who is good at the game and is very stealthy and will not get caught or would just be a valuable asset to your team.
Neutrals – Neutral roles are a lot of fun to play with, and really vary. One way to play with neutrals is to make them pick which team to join. Another way is to make them as sot of a third team.
Again, some of this should go in How to Host. Neutrals could use a bit better description.

Quote:
Being Active
There is not much to say here, but it is very important and does deserve its own section. A very wise thing to do is to remain active because it will help both you as a player and the game. It will help you as a player because if you are a wolf you will remain unsuspicious and as a human, you will be more apt to gain information. It will help the game because it will keep the game alive. Again, remain active. However, do not mistake this as telling you to postwhore. You do not want to be so active that it makes it look like you are hunting down information and therefore attaining suspicion. You want to just to be there when you are needed and to analyze all information displayed, no matter how small or meticulous it may seem.
Add something like expected activity, something like being online and reading the thread (doesn't necessarily mean posting) at the very minimum every other day, preferably every day.

And mabey a link to where to get AIM

Quote:
[size=7][b]Remaining Neutral[/size[][b]
Again, there is not much to be said. However, you do want to pay attention. You never want to make statements that can be twisted or used against you in any way. If you are a wolf, never show signs of allegiance with a fellow wolf. A very good move to do is if you’re going to die, try and show as much allegiance to a particular human as possible. This generally assures that the humans will think that that person is a wolf also and lynch him/her based on that assumption. Heck, it may even gain you an MVP if you play it well enough.
If you are a human, you want to keep your statements relatively neutral. See, if you are a regular human you generally do not have much to lose. Take the risk of dying for your team. However, if you are a guardian, never do anything that will draw attention to yourself because the wolves may discover you or the humans may lynch you, both could result in the loss of your team.
Should go under "Playing as a Wolf (Red)" or "Playing as a Human (green)"

Quote:
This entire concept in voided in TWG. Never give up, never back down, NEVERaccept defeat! If you are a wolf, never admit that you are a wolf. Even after death, insist that you are a human. Even facing insta or being seered. If you are a human, the exact same rule applies. Never say anything that could be taken as ‘wolfish’ and never admit to being a wolf.
Note: When you are a wolf and are about to be seered, try to casually sway the seer’s opinion towards someone else. Only if you are a regular wolf. If you are the master wolf, do not be very intimidated to being seered. You can either act nonchalant and say "yeah, I’m human, go seer me" or you can say "I’m a human, so you can seer me. But it would be a waste". It is really up to you and which you feel more comfortable doing.
Doesn't deserve its own section, put it in "Playing as a Human" and/or "Playing as a Wolf"

The tactics for Master Wolf should go in the section about that role.

Quote:
Being A Good Host
Well, many things need to be taken into account when you are a host. I will do this to describe it:
  1. Double check all PM’s
  4. Be fair, but tough
  6. Never be biased
  7. Write good stories
  1. When I say double check the PM’s you send I do not mean double-check them. I mean triple check them. A few things to remember are to send each PM individually. Remember that it may be easier to send all the human messages an once, but it shows every person that received the same PM therefore telling the humans who’s who.
  1. You can click on BCC under the recipient name box to use Blind Carbon Copying. This will send the same PM to up to five people without showing them who else got it. (Make sure all five names are in the BCC box. If one is in the regular box the BCC people will see that he got it.)

Quote:
    Also, spice things up. It’s boring to get a PM that just says "you’re a human, you know what to do. Make it fun and make the players feel like they have a goal. Another thing is when sending seer/psychic results, be very clear yet do not ever give anything away that was not supposed to have been. What I mean is, if you are sending a seer reply saying that the person just seered is green, just write player x. Do not write human because that verifies that player x was a human, when they may have been a wolf.
    Saying a player is human if they are really the MW is fine, it doesn't "prove" that they are human if the seer result PM says "player x is human"

Although you do need to make sure you think about everything you say to make sure you aren't accidentally revealing something. A big mistake would be to say "Night is almost over and I still need a PM from the seer" because then everyone would know the seer is still alive.

Quote:
    However, make sure to re-read your messages before sending them for typos, corrections, things you missed, and things that should not be in the message.
Quote:
2 – Make sure that you specify on when each phase ends. For example, if you’re living in Florida and ending the night at 7 in the evening on a Friday you would want to say this: Day x is over. Night y has begun. It will end Friday, (month) (day number) at 7:00 PM EST. Nevertheless, remember to be there. Do not say you are going to end it at one time and end it at another. There are exceptions to this. The biggest one is an extension. If enough players request an extension on a particular phase, do not be afraid to give it to them. This does not necessarily apply to the wolves. If they do not send their kill by the deadline it is up to you to extend the night (showing that the wolves haven’t been online, giving the humans information) or to randomly select a player to die.
3 – Always be clear and concise. When you say a phase is ending, end it. When you implement a particular rule or do not implement one, make absolute sure every person understands this otherwise bad situations can occur.
4 – Never be biased. It does not matter how much you like a team or a player, never treat them any better than another player. Also, is per say your friend asks for an extension of the phase but every one else wants it to end at time x, end it at time x. Again, they may be your friend but this game is based on what the majority thinks. If a majority wants the phase to end, you end it. This, however, does not apply to ending phases early. Also, never give unwarranted information to a player. If your friend is a human, do not "accidentally" slip the name of a wolf. Alternatively, if your friend is a wolf, do not "accidentally" let the guardian’s role slip. It does not matter how close you are to the person, all players must be treated fair.
5 – Already summarized.
6 – Already summarized.
7 – Ah yes, writing stories, my personal favorite part of hosting. A very good key to hosting successful games is the atmosphere you display. If you write and amazing story that everybody likes, they are sure to comment on it therefore causing activity. A few good elements of stories is using the players names in the stories, they always like that and it makes people feel important. Also, use lots of adjectives. I do not want to sound like your English teacher, but the more descriptive a story is the better it is. If you say "and John was killed" you are going to be boring. However, if you say "the bloody torso of John and his family was discovered at the scene of the crime, the head nowhere to be found" you will keep people reading.
Another part of this is writing good PM stories. Something people like is to receive a personal PM. A good PM for a human would read: "Hello there, Bob. You are sitting in a cold and dark room, knowing not what goes around you and hardly understanding your own thoughts. Oh, but you see and hear me just fine. In addition, what am I telling you, Bob? I am telling you, you are pathetic. You are a silly little human and you will be killed. Your family will be killed. Your friends will be killed. Your town will be burned. Well… unless you can capture the people dong this first…".
Now see, you actually wanted to read that. It is good to keep people’s attention. A good key to this is to select a good theme. Select a theme that everyone is familiar with and a theme that you know you can write a good story for.
8 – Do not forget to make particular times for people to sign up to the game. It is usually helpful to make two separate times because many players cannot get on the computer to sign up at one time. Making two or more times assures that there will be a good variety and it indirectly assures activity because you have people on the computer at different times therefore meaning you can have almost around-the-clock activity.
9 – You want to be an experienced player before you host a game. Do not just jump into something you have never done before. You really need to have a full understanding of the game, the roles, the people, the times, and every other element before you can run a game.
Although you shouldn't host before you've even played, being an expert isn't really necessary

Quote:
10 – Do not forget to make your post game. A good post game will include a list of players, there AIM screen names, and what their role was. A great post game would be much more elaborate. It would include the players name’s, AIM addresses, what there role was, if they were victorious or not, what phase they died in if they died, the order of guards/seers and successes/results of each, etc. Another thing I always include in a post-game is an overall analysis of how each individual player played. Make sure to point out both flaws and weaknesses and tell the player how they can improve. Be Specific! Also, do not forget to have an MVP or Most Valuable Player award. People always are excited when they win it and it sparks a lot of conversation. Something you want to do is to specify on why you gave that player(s) the award and what other players could have done to be more like that. Do not forget about the LVP award either, it is not popular but it helps emphasize on certain details. Do not forget that when you host a jTWG it is mandatory to say which players are suitable for TWG and which are not along with why and how they can improve.
11 – Do not forget to make the host sign-ups for the next game or someone is sure to get irked.

1. Be active – always be around when you’re called upon and don’t be afraid to give your input on a situation
  2. Record all AIM conversations – you never know when you’re going to need these, but save them and study them
  1. You can usually save your logs automatically, depending on your AIM client.

Quote:
  2. Take notes – it couldn’t hurt to make a memo of something suspicious and review it later
  3. Know the other players – don’t make irrational judgements or impulsive accusations before you know the people you’re accusing or judging
  4. Don’t expect anything – don’t get your hopes up about anything, and don’t try to weasel information out of the host
  5. Do not take anything to heart – people in this game tend to flame quite a lot. If somebody calls you an idiot, do not take it personal. Learn from your mistakes, improve your playing, and come back and kick their ass!
  6. Be specific – when you are presenting your evidence never be vague. You want to lay out every detail as if you were explaining it to a toddler. Make sure to include examples and be thorough
  7. Make a good case – before you ever present your evidence read, re-read, and re-re-read it. Check for typos and make sure you have everything in the proper place. Make sure you have plenty of evidence that you know the other players will believe
  8. Respect the other players – even if they do not show you respect, respect them. "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you". And always respect the TWC (The Werewolf Council)
  9. Have fun! Enjoy yourself, have a good time! Remember, it is only a game.
  10. Having fun should be number 1!

Quote:
Note: To address number two in more detail, it is very strategic to look at the times of important things. For example, it is the day phase and a player tells you "oh yeah, I trust Steve" at 07:46:32 (PM) according to the AIM log, but right before that votes for Steve. There may be something-fishy going on if they are lying to you.
The TWG Glossary
Active – To participate in the game adequately
Activity – The amount of active people in the game compared to amount of players remaining
AIM – America Online Instant Messaging system, the standard means of communication in
TWG
Blue – The common term for a special human; the color a person is seered as
Conversions – The past tense of convert
Convert – the act of changing a player’s team or attempting to do so
Curse – A method of balancing a game
Day – The phase in which the humans select a player to kill whom they believe to be a wolf
Extend – The act of increasing the longevity of a particular phase
Green – The term used commonly to refer to a players role as human; the color a player was seered
Guard – A human with the power to save the life of one player each night
Guard (2) – The act of guarding a player’s life
Host – The person who is running the current game, knows all the roles, and is in charge
Host sign-ups – The thread designed for people to display their game ideas and other people to vote on which game to play
Human – A person who is on the human team as opposed to the wolves
Insta – A scenario during the day phase in which a player is lynched by a vote of more than half the amount of currently living players
Items – Individual cyber objects that give the holder a particular power
JTWG – The Junior Werewolf Game
Kill – To eliminate a player from the game
Lonewolf – A role in which the player is a wolf, yet does now know who the other wolves are
LVP – The Least Valuable Player award given to a player the host deems contributed the least to the game
Lynch – To kill during the day phase
Mason – A common role in which a certain amount of players knows one another and their role
Master Wolf – The wolf role in which when seered this person shows up as a human
Millers – The roles where the seering results will vary according to the host’s instructions
MVP – The Most Valuable Player award given to the player who the host believes contributed the most to the game and/or won for their team
Neutral – To remain on no side
Neutral (2) – A role in which the player is no neither team
Night – The phase in which the wolves kill someone
Phantom(s) – A penalty for not voting that does not apply to insta lynches (see thread: )
Phase – The term given for the particular time in which the game is cirrently at
Player – An individual person who is in the game competeing fir his or her team
Player Sign-Ups – The thread specifically designed for the curent host to make a list of players who will be playing in his ir her game
PM – Private message abbreviation
Post-Game – The thread in which the roles are revelaed and game ended where players can talk freely about tactict they used and what-not
Postwhore – The act of making repaeted posts on a thread
Postwhore (2) – A person who makes repeated posts on a thread
Psychic – A player who is a special human, or blue, who recieves a host PM at the end of each day phase saying how many wolves and how many humans remain in the game
Red – The term used commonly to refer to a wolf
Red (2) – The color a person may have been seered
Safety – A vote that is used to avoid a phantoms that has no basis of suspicion, generally placed on a player with no other votes or phantoms
Seer – The role in which the player is a spcial human, or blue, and chooses one other player each night to see the roles of
Seer (2) – The act of seeing another player’s role
Story – The part of the gmae where the host writes a small plot to go along with the game
Suspect – A person who shows qualities of being a particular role, therefore placing him or her under suspcion
Suspect (2) – To think someone of being a particual role
Theme – The particular story line basis selected by the host
TWC – The Werewolf Council, a panel of impartial judges used to make rules, enforce rules, and assist the games
TWG – The Werewolf Game
Vigi – A kill neither by lynching or wolfing
Vote – A tally of marks against a player
Wolf – A person on the wolf team as opposed to the human team
Wolf (2) – To kill at night using wolf powers
For the things that have 2 meanings, say the meaning, not just (2) eg:

guard (role): <definition>
guard (action): <definition>

Quote:
FAQ’s And Things To Know
Moderators : DarkManticoreX2 , Shashakiro (DarkManticoreX2 is more reliable to reach)
TWC: Brilliant Dynamite Neon, Travman301, DarkManticoreX2, Thunderstrike687, pntballa18, roundbox, Makilaz
Advisable Threads To See: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=17249]the TWG History thread[/url], http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=22744]jTWG History thread[/url]
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=58585]The Old Guide[/url]
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=29746]Chardish’s Newbie threads one[/url] and http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=20015]two[/url], Kilga’s Default Wolf Conditions thread, My Phantom thread, The Rules (also see below), and, of course, The TWC thread.

[u]The Rules!/[u]

Acknowledgements
Thank you to pntballa18 (reviewing), Makilaz (reviweing), Brilliant Dynamite Neon (references), ravman301 (reviwing), emerald000 (reviewing), and [flashflashrevolution.com/vbz.php?u=13667]thunderstrike687[/url] for riewving this and adding their input to make it even better! Thank you to all players who have helped me come to these conclusions and write this. To credit all players, I will tell you that I sent out individual messages to each player I’ve played with and here are there responses:

Note: Several of these responses have had sections deleted that did not pretain to TWG, though none were edited.
Well, that’s all. Thank you for reading and get out there and play some great games! And who knows, perhaps you’ll be the next big name mentioned?
P.S. All information in here is set on the sole basis of the TWG Forum on FlashFlashRevolution.com as of Tuesday, May 13, 2008 12:21 PM EST.

EDIT: For a more advanced version visit this.
[/quote]

Instead of linking to an advanced version, move the advanced version here.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:05 AM   #16
rzr
TWG Veteran

Version 2 (before dooey's suggestions)
Well, you asked for it. Now here it is, a strategy guide for both playing and hosting. After careful review of the rules and all scenarios, I have drafted up this guide. I must add special thanks to my good friend, DrKirth, for putting together the list of all players in both games, ever
Now, I’ve tried to break this Guide up into several different smaller section, AKA a
Table of Contents:
  1. Introduction
  2. A Basic Game
  3. A Complex Game
  4. Being Active
  5. Rem2aining Neutral
  6. Knowing ‘when to fold em and when to hold em’
  7. Being A Good Host
  8. 10 Cardinal Rules of TWG
  9. What’s Mafia?
  10. Glossary
  11. Index
  12. FAQs and Things To Know
  13. The Rules
  14. Acknowledgements

Introduction
Well, first things first. Welcome to The Werewolf Game forum. It’s a game based on several factors that all intertwine one another. What are those factors? Mainly you need to have skills in deceit, intelligence, deciphering, lying, and loyalty (or should I say lack there of). A few things you need to have before starting off playing a game is an FFR account, which you can access here by clicking the red letters that say register, second and possibly most important is an AIM account and screen name. This can be attained at the AIM home page, in the top right corner. Finally, before playing your first game you will want to have read at least one game and understand it. What I mean is, recognize who the players are and who you will be going up against, see tactics and form your own, and understand the forum in general.
What is The Werewolf Game you may ask? Well, TWG is a simple game that Chardish brought to us. He faithfully hosted and played the game eventually helping to bring it to its own sub-forum, of which we see and use today. TWG is based off of a card game called Mafia (see section. 9, accredited to our very own dooey100). Today’s version of TWG is more wide-spread through FFR and each and every member, including you, is welcome, respected, and appreciated.

A Basic Game
Well, a basic j/TWG game would have only two types of players. The wolves and the humans. The game is divided up into two phases: the night and the day. During the night phase the wolves will choose which player they are selecting to kill or remove from the game. Depending on the complexity of the game, it may fail (see section 3; A Complex Game)
Host:(story plot here)
  1. Travman301
  2. DarkManticoreX2
  3. Fiction Junction
  4. Dooey100
  5. rzr
  6. argo15
  7. pntballa18
  8. Roundbox
  9. Xception704
  10. Makilaz
  11. DrKirth
  12. freakysnots
Insta is at 6+ votes. Day ends at
(exact time goes here)
Travman301: I think rzr is a wolf (present evidence here) [i]Therefore, I vote for rzr
DarkManticoreX2 I agree because of(back-up evidence here)[i]I also vote for rzr.
Fiction Junction: I disagree, I think argo15 is a wolf because of (present evidence here) so I’m voting for argo15
Player s: I agree with Travman301 and DarkManticoreX2. rzr.
argo15: rzr. (defense here)
pntballa18: rzr
DrKirth: argo15.
freakysnots: rzr.
Host: That’s insta. Rzr has been insta-lynched.
(Story line here)
Now, do not forget that this is an example. There would and absolutely should be a lot more information and evidence behind all claims and accusations. Remember, in this game paranoia is your friend. Keep your eyes open for every detail, be meticulous, and let your OCD kick in! However, nothing is perfectly set. You really need to know and understand the people you are playing with before you jump to any conclusions, I cannot stress that enough. For example, you may play with somebody who is completely off-the-wall and accusing people left and right. However, that is how they act when they are a human, so do not stress about it. In contrast, you may play with somebody who is generally calm and meticulous with his or her evidence, yet is playing this game very odd and jumping to many conclusions/pointing the finger quickly/acting impulsive. Well, that character would need a lot more attention paid to him/her than usual.

A Complex Game
Now, complex games are obviously harder than an average game and a new player should usually not jump into one right away. Complex games have everything from conversions to items and neutrals to curses. The range of expectancy in a complex game is never to even be attempted to estimate as they are very volatile and changing. The average complex game consists of five different roles. They are usually the following:
    1. Master Wolf
    2. a Guardian
    3. Seer/Psychic,
    4. the humans
    5. wolves.
    6. [color="blue"]masons]/color]
The Guardian and the Seer/Psychic are humans or more commonly referred to as Blues. The role of the Guardianis to stay alive and protect one person each night they’re alive to watch over and guard the life of. This person has one of the most important roles in the game and should remain undetected at almost all costs. Next is the Seer or Psychic. The roles of these two are different, they are just very common. The Seer is the most common role. This person chooses one person each night to "seer" or sees the role of. When the Seer seers a person, the host will reply in a PM with the person’s name color coded to reflect that role (human, blue, wolf and other colors coordinating with the game). The role of the Psychic is very similar, yet not identical. The Psychic is given a PM from the host at the end of each day phase saying how many wolves are left and how many humans are left. This role can be manipulated to suit the roles of the game. Finally, there is the Master Wolf. The Master Wolf is a special wolf who when seered will come back as a human.
Items- Items are always a fun element to a game, but should never be over used. Items usually have one or more of these three actions: Vigi, guard, and seer.
Conversions – Conversions are cool, but are very complicated to understand and even more difficult to put into a successfully hosted game. A conversion is when one person/item is turned into something else. For example, there may be a game where the wolves are allowed to convert a human to their team. Never make a game where a wolf can be converted to human (except lone wolves) because that wolf could just give the human the other wolves names. As a player playing with conversions can be difficult to fathom and you should keep your guard up even more than you usually would. You would not want to confirm someone as a human, only to have him or her converted to a wolf right under your nose. In addition, if you are a wolf you want to keep in mind whom to convert. Remember to pick a person who is good at the game and is very stealthy and will not get caught or would just be a valuable asset to your team.
Neutrals – Neutral roles are a lot of fun to play with, and really vary. One way to play with neutrals is to make them pick which team to join. Another way is to make them as sot of a third team.

Being Active

[b]Remaining Neutral[b]

Being A Good Host
  1. Double check all PM’s
  4. Be fair, but tough
  6. Never be biased
  7. Write good stories
  1. When I say double check the PM’s you send I do not mean double-check them. I mean triple check them. A few things to remember are to send each PM individually. Remember that it may be easier to send all the human messages an once, but it shows every person that received the same PM therefore telling the humans who’s who. Also, spice things up. It’s boring to get a PM that just says "you’re a human, you know what to do. Make it fun and make the players feel like they have a goal. Another thing is when sending seer/psychic results, be very clear yet do not ever give anything away that was not supposed to have been. What I mean is, if you are sending a seer reply saying that the person just seered is green, just write player x. Do not write human because that verifies that player x was a human, when they may have been a wolf. However, make sure to re-read your messages before sending them for typos, corrections, things you missed, and things that should not be in the message.
5 – Already summarized.
6 – Already summarized.

3. Take notes – it couldn’t hurt to make a memo of something suspicious and review it later
  4. Know the other players – don’t make irrational judgements or impulsive accusations before you know the people you’re accusing or judging
  5. Don’t expect anything – don’t get your hopes up about anything, and don’t try to weasel information out of the host
  6. Do not take anything to heart – people in this game tend to flame quite a lot. If somebody calls you an idiot, do not take it personal. Learn from your mistakes, improve your playing, and come back and kick their ass!
  7. Be specific – when you are presenting your evidence never be vague. You want to lay out every detail as if you were explaining it to a toddler. Make sure to include examples and be thorough
  8. Make a good case – before you ever present your evidence read, re-read, and re-re-read it. Check for typos and make sure you have everything in the proper place. Make sure you have plenty of evidence that you know the other players will believe
  9. Respect the other players – even if they do not show you respect, respect them. "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you". And always respect the TWC (The Werewolf Council)
  10. Have fun! Enjoy yourself, have a good time! Remember, it is only a game.
The TWG Glossary
Active adj. – To participate in the game adequately
Activity adj. adv.– The amount of active people in the game compared to amount of players remaining
AIMn. – America Online Instant Messaging system, the standard means of communication in
TWG
Bluen. – The common term for a special human; the color a person is seered as
Conversionsv. – The past tense of convert
Convertv. – the act of changing a player’s team or attempting to do so
Curseadv. v. – A method of balancing a game
Dayn. – The phase in which the humans select a player to kill whom they believe to be a wolf
Extendv. – The act of increasing the longevity of a particular phase
Greenn. – The term used commonly to refer to a players role as human; the color a player was seered
Guard.n – A human with the power to save the life of one player each night
Guardv. (2) – The act of guarding a player’s life
Hostn. – The person who is running the current game, knows all the roles, and is in charge
Host sign-upsn. – The thread designed for people to display their game ideas and other people to vote on which game to play
Humann. – A person who is on the human team as opposed to the wolves
Instav.? – A scenario during the day phase in which a player is lynched by a vote of more than half the amount of currently living players
Itemsn. – Individual cyber objects that give the holder a particular power
JTWGn. – The Junior Werewolf Game
Killv. – To eliminate a player from the game
Lonewolfn. – A role in which the player is a wolf, yet does now know who the other wolves are
LVPn. – The Least Valuable Player award given to a player the host deems contributed the least to the game
Lynchv. – To kill during the day phase
Masonn. – A common role in which a certain amount of players knows one another and their role
Master Wolfn. – The wolf role in which when seered this person shows up as a human
Miller(s)n. – The roles where the seering results will vary according to the host’s instructions
MVPn. – The Most Valuable Player award given to the player who the host believes contributed the most to the game and/or won for their team
Neutralv. – To remain on no side
Neutral (2) n. – A role in which the player is no neither team
Nightn. – The phase in which the wolves kill someone
Phantom(s)v. – A penalty for not voting that does not apply to insta lynches (see thread: )
Phasen. – The term given for the particular time in which the game is cirrently at
Playern. – An individual person who is in the game competeing fir his or her team
Player Sign-Upsn. – The thread specifically designed for the curent host to make a list of players who will be playing in his ir her game
PMn. – Private message abbreviation
Post-Gamen. – The thread in which the roles are revelaed and game ended where players can talk freely about tactict they used and what-not
Postwhorev. – The act of making repaeted posts on a thread
Postwhore (2)n. – A person who makes repeated posts on a thread
Psychicn. – A player who is a special human, or blue, who recieves a host PM at the end of each day phase saying how many wolves and how many humans remain in the game
Redn. – The term used commonly to refer to a wolf
Red (2)n. – The color a person may have been seered
Safetyv. – A vote that is used to avoid a phantoms that has no basis of suspicion, generally placed on a player with no other votes or phantoms
Seern. – The role in which the player is a spcial human, or blue, and chooses one other player each night to see the roles of
Seer (2)v. – The act of seeing another player’s role
Storyn. – The part of the gmae where the host writes a small plot to go along with the game
Suspectn. – A person who shows qualities of being a particular role, therefore placing him or her under suspcion
Suspect (2)v. – To think someone of being a particual role
Themen. – The particular story line basis selected by the host
TWCn. – The Werewolf Council, a panel of impartial judges used to make rules, enforce rules, and assist the games
TWGn. – The Werewolf Game
Vigiv. – A kill neither by lynching or wolfing
Voten. – A tally of marks against a player
Vote (2)v. – A mark againstanother player during the day phase
Wolfn. – A person on the wolf team as opposed to the human team
Wolf (2)v. – To kill at night using wolf powers
Index
All TWG Hosts and MVP’s(in alphabetical order)
Hosts
Afrobean, Aperson, Argo15, BlahBlah12, Brilliant Dynamite Neon (4), Chardish (7), CypherToorima, DarkManticoreX2, DiscoBobbyPARANOIA (3), Evilbutterfly, Fiction Junction, FishFishRevolution (2), FoJaR, FlyPie743, GuidoHunter, JurseyRider734, KilgaMayan (7), Lightdarkness (3), Mead1, Milfeulle Sakuraba, MrESqueek, Nforcer06164, Roundbox, rzr, StoicRoiaS (2), Talisman, Tasselfoot,
Travman301, WhorliChan, Wilkin.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
MVP’s
AlainBryden, Aperson, BlahBlah18, CypherToorima, DarkManticoreX2, DiscoBobbyPARANOIA, emerald000 (2), Evilbutterfly, Freakysnots, HansSky (2), Heavylee, Iggymatrixcounter, Ivaluebet, KilgaMayan, Lightdarkness, Makilaz, pntballa18, SethSquall, StoicRoiaS, Talisman, Tasselfoot (5), TPS222, Travman301, X3mamimi
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
All jTWG Hosts and MVP’s
Hosts
Brilliant Dynamite Neon (3), dAnceguy117, Daniel_Lewis20, DarkManticoreX2, Demon_Of_The_Comet, DiscoBobbyPARANOIA, Fiction Junction, FishFishRevolution (2), Flawofhumanity, FoJaR, Gamepro17616, Gonzo4life47, Jugglinguy, Lightdarkness, Litodude, Mattc16 (3), Meno_Rocks123, MiniNeo, Myst1278, Nijatwo, Pntballa18, Pshychic25, PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR, Pyroshock, Rebirth0, rzr (2), Sertman, Snapps, Spheroid, Torlock, TPS222, Tustteo, Vashthestampede0987 (2), Wilkin, X3ROHOUR (3).

MVP’s
Android87xx, argo15, DarkManticoreX2, DiscoBobbyPARANOIA, DrKirth, Fiction Junction, FishFishRevolution, Flawofhumanity, Freakysnots, Hydrojakep, Iggymatrizcounter, Jchinzilla , Jokim, Kekeb, Litodude, Mead1, Megamon88, Pntballa18, PsYcHoZeRoSkk8eR, Specforces, T3HDDRKid, X3mamimi (2), Xception704, Xplayfan.
All j/TWG players accredited to DrKirth. By the way, I’m not sure what method he used of seperation, but the colons are used to signify that.
A list of players who've every played in a TWG (as accurate as the history thread on the FFR website):
:::::::::::::::::::::::
1. Aleco
2. CypherToorima
3. Djshox
4. Flypie743
5. GuidoHunter
6. ImEric12
7. Kenzya
8. Kilgamayan
9. Lightdarkness
10. Moogy
11. Squeek
12. QreepyBORIS
13. SleeplessDragn
14. Tasselfoot
15. The Q
::::::::::::::::::::::
1. Banditcom
2. Blahblah
3. Cenright
4. Emccky
5. Roopert
6. Snapps
7. Tasuke
8. Whorlichan
1. 87x
2. CStarFlare
3. flawofhumanity
4. hydrojakep
5. Kefit
6. zildjian113
::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. Chardish
2. Eyespewgreekfire
3. stretchypanda
4. Tnyhawk900
:::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. Afrobean
2. alainbryden
3. evilbutterfly
::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. HansSky
2. Omeganitros
3. Tps222
1. Jpec07
2. Verruckter
1. JurseyRider734
2. Lupin_the_3rd
3. M-A-C
4. nforcer06164
5. Tsuteto
1. Charlotte21
:::::::::::::::::::::
1. Matthew4444
2. aperson
3. Mead1
1. Gamepro17616
2. Psychic25
3. Neonatrias
4. Talisman
1. flux_
2. deltro333111
1. JenovaSephiroth
1. Spheroid
1. dAnceguy117
2. Kagome
1. _BBQ_
2. Vashthestampede0987
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. SpaceBoy492
2. FishFishRevolution
3. TSAGod
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. Torlock
::::::::::::
1. Panda
::::::::::::
1. nickadeemus
2. mattc16
:::::::::::::::::::
1. Rai
::::::
1. iggymatrixcounter
2. MiniNeo
:::::::::::::::
1. wilkin
:::::::::::
1. PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR
2. chickendude
1. ddrdanc3r55
1. DiscoBobbyPARANOIA
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. Necamus
2. xObserveRx
3. FFR4EVA_00
4. Tokzic
1. sertman
2. petpro32
3. fojar
4. jwcgator
::::::::::::::::
1. Shashakiro
2. StoicRoivaS
2. ivaluebet
::::::::::::::::::::
1. chromer
2. hitheycallmegod
3. nijatwo
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. rioting
2. Z3ratul
1. roundbox
1. Stella
1. pntballa
1. FictionJunction
2. X3R0H0UR
3. thunderstrike687
4. DarkManticoreX2
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. x3Mamimi
2. Larrikin
::::::::::::::::::
1. Yesssss
1. toph
:::::::
1. Travman
1. emerald000
2. argo15
3. Pyroshock
4. xplayfan
5. freakysnots
6. rzr
7. gnr61
8. EnR
9. Makilaz
10. Heavylee
11. edubardus
12. meno_rocks123
13. Litodude
1. timotolkki11
2. SethSquall
3. Brilliant Dynamite Neon
4. massflavour
5. rzrsgirl04284520
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. emocheergirl
2. Ravia
1. Einherjar_04
2. Halleys5thConcerto
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. Psychopete
2. madmatt621
3. dooey100
4. T3hDDRkid
1. hoochan
2. xLF_WhiteTrash
3. scorpio1690
1. Rebirth0
1. GamerShadow
1. Xception704
:::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
A list of players who've every played in a jTWG (as accurate as the history thread on the FFR website):

1. Snapps
2. Wayfaerer
3. Tsuteto
4. kibbel
5. deltro300111
6. ddrruler
7. JurseyRider734
8. Chromer
9. Gamepro17616
10. Lupin_the_3rd
11. M-A-C
12. DDRadicated
13. Afrobean
1. Freak83
2. Vashthegunman7
3. Omeganitros
4. Catalyst248
5. patron_viridantis
6. Tasuke
7. kickassbuddy
8. slackygorgeking
1. blademonkey626
2. Rye_Bread
3. Spheroid
4. dAnceguy117
5. BeefStu
6. Qualy
7. Demon_of_the_Comet
8. babybenji2004
9. daniel_lewis20
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. eVILPeeR
2. psychic25
3. Tps222
4. akorn
5. bullettime90
6. rsr2/bluemonkey09
7. AasumDude
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. CypherToorima
2. Neonatrias
3. JenovaSephiroth
4. hydrojakep
1. Benny1
2. Vashthestampede0987
3. evilbutterfly
4. Tank101
5. MessengerOfDeath
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. Mimru
2. BBQ
3. PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR
4. saichaitanya88
5. xObserveRx
6. Mindfields
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. ddr_dude
2. mattc16
3. MAXANOiA
4. NightSonnett
5. pntballa18
6. scorpio1690
1. Kagome
1. gonzo4life44
2. Freed
3. TSAGod
4. Torlock
5. FishFishRevolution
6. MiniNeo
7. Linkisdoomed
1. xplayfan
2. DarkManticoreX2
3. heavylee
4. emerald000
5. Argo15
6. freakysnots
7. rzr
8. EnR
9. Isosceles
10. massflavour
11. Pyroshock
12. gnr61
13. timotolkki11
14. travman301
:: ::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. JimmyLobos
2. B3NJ1
3. chickendude
4. nickadeemus
5. mead1
6. SpaceBoy492
1. Hiyasucka
2. Purplepopcorn
1. linus
2. Edge_of_Death
1. delita77
2. lilshortieman
3. Sol Solis
4. iggymatrix
5. TheRaiRai
1. Nijatwo
2. FoJaR
3. igotrhythm
1. specforces
1. LightKnight924
2. whiteflame
3. Pumble
4. Necamus
5. dawg4321
1. AdTheRat
2. FFR4EVA_00
3. Tokzic
4. ddrdanc3r55
5. DiscoBobbyPARANOiA
6. jwcgator
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. StoicRoivaS
1. x3Mamimi
2. Stella!
3. X3R0H0UR
4. Fenris201327
5. 8Shade8
6. HiTheyCallMeGod
1. T3hDDRKid
2. kentbball
3. FictionJunction
4. thunderstrike687
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. Farka
2. lumphoboextreme
3. vysetheblurogue
4. flawofhumanity
1. jugglinguy
2. Makilaz
3. Yesssss
1. sertman
2. hoochan
1. Aito
2. Darkdragoness
1. myst1278
1. Falcondude
1. Popsicle_Pirate
1. Toph
1. Tbellx12
1. Jchinzilla
2. Edubardus
3. Litodude
4. Boatz
1. madmatt621
2. Einherjar_04
3. EI_Tizzy
4. Brilliant Dynamite Neon
5. meno rocks123
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. psychopete
2. ejthedj00
1. shados343
2. .david
1. Ravia
2. Emocheergirl
3. dooey100
4. Android87xx
5. sc979
6. halleys5thconcerto
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. jokim
2. Bangcrashboom
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. rebirth0
1. GamerShadow
1. fido123
2. chris301
3. Xception704
1. Kekeb
2. DrKirth
3. megamon88
4. Sullyman2007
1. DoctorSerpentine
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. KilikOdagawa
2. devonin
3. Bynary Fission
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. aTzUeLo1191
2. Sh4d0wD3v1L
3. Temote
1. Dorama

Hopefully it's all accurate.

FAQ’s And Things To Know
Advisable Threads To See: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=17249]the TWG History thread[/url], http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=22744]jTWG History thread[/url]
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=58585]The Old Guide[/url]
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=29746]Chardish’s Newbie threads one[/url] and http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=20015]two[/url], Kilga’s Default Wolf Conditions thread, My Phantom thread, The Rules (also see below), and, of course, The TWC thread.

[u]The Rules!/[u]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The TWC
1a. Players are not allowed to edit/delete their posts for ANY reason. Moderators are not allowed to edit/delete anyone's posts, without host consent. Moderators are allowed to delete posts by users not in the current TWG who post in the thread.

1b. If the host asks a moderator to delete certain post(s), then it can be permitted. Absolutely NO player can delete/edit their posts while participating a j/TWG game AT ALL

2.One death post may be allowed by the person killed during the Night phase. This post must be brief, and contain no information about the game. A player who is lynched, during the Day, may not post again after they are killed. If a person is insta'd during the Day phase, that person cannot post after he or she has been insta'd. The penatly for breaking this rule is as follows:
1st offence: Warning
2nd offence: Game ban
3rd offence: 2 game ban
4th offence: 3 game ban
etc etc..

3a. Players are not allowed to reveal their PMs or conversations with the host to anyone else. This includes (and is not limited) to: forwarding the PM to any other player, showing a screenshot of the PM, or copypasta'ing the PM info into the thread or to another player. Players are not allowed to reveal conversations - with the Host - relating to the game to any other player. Players may not post screenshots of conversations they have with other players that are not involved in the current j/TWG.

3b. Players are allowed to share pms sent from one player to another player.

3c. Players are allowed to fake AIM conversations.

4a. An Insta-Lynch is considered MORE than 50% of all votes on any given day. Phantom votes are considered a minimal fraction of a vote for all intensive purposes (ex. .001 of a vote). If there are 7 players and no phantoms, 4 is needed for an Insta. If there are 8 players and no phantoms, 5 is needed. If there are 7 players + 1 phantom (7.001), 4 REAL votes are needed (3 real + phantom = 3.001, which is not greater than 50%). If there are 8 players + 1 phantom (8.001), 4 REAL votes are needed (4.001 is greater than 50% of 8.001).

4b. Rule for multiple phantoms: any phantom above the 1st shall be treated as a full vote. 1 phantom = .001 votes, 2 phantoms = 1.001 votes, etc.

For a more in depth description of Phantoms, Visit this thread
Rzr's Phantom Thread

4c. After a player(s) accumulates a certain amount of phantoms, commonly 3 phantoms, the Host will get a replacement for that person(s). The replacement will carry all phantoms accumulated by the offending player.

4d. In the event of a tie vote, a Knife in Box (KiB)[KitB] situation occurs. A KiB situation is defined by one of the two tied players randomly getting wolfed or lynched, as determined by random.org or other means. All rules of 4 still solely apply for persons with multiple phantoms.

5a. Cheating of any kind (through abuse of the rules stated here, or anything that is determined cheating by a majority of the players will result in that players immediate death, or replacement as determined by the host, If the host chooses to kill the player without finding a replacement, then it does not count as that days lynch. the player will be subject to a banning of length to be determined by TWC.

5b. Two IRL friends CANNOT play in the same game. Parties cannot have a Player-to-Player relationship, nor can they have a Host-to-Player relationship. There is a possibility of account sharing, whether allowed or not, and possibility of exchanging information outside of AIM/thread. "TasselFoot (7:59:32 PM): 2 IRL friends can't play in the same twg." If you have a problem with this rule, ask Tass yourself.

-Exception:
"chardish" (9:59:25 PM): two IRL friends can play in the same game as long as they don't physically see or talk to each other during the game
"chardish" (9:59:34 PM): e.g. if they live in different states or something

6. The dead are prohibited from talking to living players about the game. Information may not flow into the game from the grave. If someone is found giving information to a living player, they are subject to a game or more ban.

7a. Imitating another player (dead or alive) through a fake AIM/FFR nickname is cheating and is subject to the cheating penalties. (This does not apply to faked AIM conversations).

7b. Contacting anyone anonymously about TWG is strictly prohibited. All TWG communication must be either on your AIM name or FFR account name. No creating second accounts or anonymous accounts for the game.

7c. If the account that you signed up for the game gets banned, it is up to the Host or Moderator to decide if they are allowed to post on an alternate username. There are still means of communication to a player (i.e. AIM) even if that player is banned temporarily. If the player is somehow banned permanently, a substitution will occur.

8. No player, under ANY circumstances, is allowed a free passage into a future TWG. Not if they are killed night 1, not if they are the MVP of the previous game, not if they hosted the previous game. You must sign up in the Game Signups as everyone else. Hosts are allowed to set specific times when the players are able to sign up.

9a. No player may vote over AIM. Ex: IMing the host saying who you vote for. There is no explainable reason for this. If someone can access the internet, they can access the forums. IMing the host and asking them to post a message on your behalf is at the host's discretion. No votes/guardings/seerings/etc. are not official and will not be counted unless sent through a PM.

9b. If the player is banned AND ONLY IF THE PLAYER IS BANNED: As mentioned in 7c., it is up to the host to decide whether a contact vote over AIM is applicable or if the Host requires the user to send in the PM on an alternate account. The banned user MUST tell the Host which account he is using to send the PM.

10a. All new players to TWG are required to play in at least 1 jTWG first. Note: 99% of new players will be required to play at least 1 jTWG before being allowed in TWG.
Players will get moved up through host and/or TWC recommendation.

10b. If a player believes they are well-equipped to play right into a TWG, they must submit written evidence supporting their claim and why they should be allowed to play.

10c. A host’s recommendation may be overturned by the TWC or Moderator as they see fit.

11a. No player is allowed to play in a jTWG and a TWG at the same time. There are no exceptions to this rule.

11b. If you are dead in the current game you have been playing in and wish to sign up for another, You must contact the host of your current game asking permission. The reason for this is that there may be the possibility of revival in your game. In which if you are revived and playing in another game you violate rule 11a.

11c. The Host reserves the right to admit or kick any player he sees fit before the game begins. If the player is unequipped to play during the game, it is the hosts descretion whether or not the player will be removed. A subtition will take place.

12. TWC, (Makilaz, BDN, DarkManticoreX2, Pntballa18, Travman301, ThunderStriker687, and Roundbox) have final say on all matters TWG. Any TWG related issue should be brought to one of the council members and will be discussed accordingly.

13a. If a player wishes to be removed from the current game contact the Host, via AIM, PM, or thread. Give clear explanations on why you wish to be removed. If it's something ridiculous such as, "Oh I don't like my role." then it's your own fault for signing up in the first place. Legitimate explanations will be excused, but idiotic reasons will not be tolerated.

13b. Consider the amount of time needed to play j/TWG. It might last from a few days to a couple of weeks, so be prepared to sacrifice your time to the game. Do not become inactive during the game because of personal reasons.

Default Wolf Victory Part I: The default wolf team victory condition is when the wolf population equals the human population at the end of a day interval after someone is voted off

However, there are extenuating circumstances that nullify this rule. For example, if there are roles (i.e. SK, vigi) who can alter the number of wolves during the night or protect the humans (guardian), then the wolves must outnumber the humans during the day to achieve victory.
(If the wolf population exceeds the human population at any time then the game can be stopped because it is academic).

Example:

End of Day X: Person P is voted off, leaving N wolves and N humans. Wolves win.
Middle of Night X: Person P is wolfed, leaving N wolves and N humans. Play goes on.
Middle of Day X: Person P is vigilante'd or otherwise eliminated, leaving N wolves and N humans. Play goes on.
(Special example - Middle of Day X: Person P is vigi'd or otherwise eliminated, leaving N wolves and N-1 humans. Wolves win.)
(Special example #2 - Middle of Night X: Person P is vigi'd or otherwise eliminated, and a human is wolved, leaving N-1 wolves and N-1 humans. Play continues, as the humans can force several KITB situations to win the game)

Differencing between jTWG and TWG:
We are officially re-instating the TWG/jTWG system. It is the host’s responsibility to evaluate a player’s ability to participate effectively in a TWG. This was previously mentioned in part 11c. It is the Host's right to include or exclude a player from their game, given an adequate reason as to -why- the decision was made. Consult the TWC or a Moderator's approval on your decision (do not let it be baseless!). If you are unable to play in the TWG, wait to play in the jTWG. No player is denied the right to play in a jTWG unless otherwise specified.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are the rules as of April 14th 2008. If there are any questions about this ruleset, Contact any member of the TWC, or simply post your question in the TWC thread.

2008 TWC
Makilaz
Brilliant Dynamite Neon
DarkManticoreX2
Pntballa18
Travman
Thunderstrike687
Roundbox
Acknowledgements
Thank you to pntballa18 (reviewing), Makilaz (reviweing), Brilliant Dynamite Neon (references), Travman301 (reviewer), emerald000 (reviewer), [flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/member.php?u=13667]thunderstrike687[/url](reviewer), for reviewing this and adding their input to make it even better! Thank you to all players who have helped me come to these conclusions and write this. To credit all players, I will tell you that I sent out individual messages to each player I’ve played with and here are there responses:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkManticoreX2
Host: Be on time. If you say day ends at 7, be there at 7
Player: Be active and participate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynary Fission
For host, no. For player, keep your statements as neutral as possible in order to not appear as either a human or a wolf. This will avert suspicion. That's really all I did...oh and talk with others as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKirth
Well, I'm still learning new things in the game myself. But if there's one thing to consider, it is that of incorporating the idea of "there are some things a wolf would never say" into your overall analysis of all possibilities, and not to just rely on that ideal alone.
As for being a host, I guess try ending the phases from afternoon to evening on the PST-EST time zone spectrum. I don't think it's good to try ending them in the mornings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamon88
Err...I guess I got a few.
Try to make the game interesting if you're the host, not just the typical TWG or jTWG. The one where everyone was trying to kill each other is a good example. You know, the irregular one. The Mystery Game.
As for a player, you should respect others. The recent jTWG was a flamefest, which is never good. Try to be helpful, but, unless you are 100% sure, don't trust anybody!
Umm...I think that's about it.
Oh one more thing.
BE ACTIVE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugglinguy
No, I don't have any tips on being a good player/host, but I do have tips on being a good host/player.
The only thing I know is to not postwhore, but don't post too little either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aTzUeLo1191
1. BE ACTIVE!!!!! Be on AIM and get good info.
2. For noobs like me: if you are confused, don't be afraid to ask questions. The people here are nicer than most of the general FFR forum regulars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meno_rocks123
If you want to be a good host, write good stories, they're always enjoyable, keep track of the lynch votes as best you can, and be ready to help anyone that asks for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooey100
For hosting, make sure the balance isn't ruined if a certain role is killed early/late.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pntballa18
double and triple check to make sure you have all the PMs before starting the daytime (before the deadline that is).
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald000
There isn't much to teach about that. All I could say is stay active and do your best to help your team. The rest you have to learn on the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FictionJunction
evidence always makes its way through to everyone regardless - seeking it is almost always a waste of time. This is why when seeking information being overly curious can make you seem like a wolf. Everyone has their perks, though, so different actions can be excused if a player's motives are clear and congruent with what is going on in game and the roles we're playing with.
If something is out of line it calls for immediate attention, but one should never focus on it. Players make wrong decisions and it is up to every player to identify who screwed up as a human and who succeeded as a wolf.
There is no such thing as strategy when it comes to determining who is a wolf or not. I don't believe there is a general way of acting when given a specific role. Wolves don't get more involved the regular humans do. A very involved person could very well be a wolf or a stupid human asking too many questions. When analyzing I consider the following: Allegiances over actions - actions over words - words over stereotypes.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-21-2008, 04:16 PM   #17
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Thanks, this must have taken a lot of work. But since now I know that this involves trying to know people and when they're acting screwy, I'm now absolutely sure I don't ever want to play again. I always sucked at poker.

As for making this a sticky: +1 support.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:42 AM   #18
rzr
TWG Veteran

I'm actually still working on an official version that we can sticky, I don't really care. I just want it to be as detailed, organized, and thourough as possible. A hard feat to accomplish with as much detail as I've been including, plus dooey100 hasn't given me his response on Mafia.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-24-2008, 08:54 PM   #19
rzr
TWG Veteran

Ok, so, I've decided not to go with the second version. I mean, it's a lot of fun to make, but the odds are nobody will keep up with it, including myself. So, I've pretty much wrapped up the rest of it, except dooey hasn't been around in a while so I don't have his essay on Mafia. Other than that expect an official thread to be coming rather soon, by Tuesday give-or-take.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #20
dooey100
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Sorry rzr, i haven't been around here a whole lot, seeing as I'm not in the current game. I can do the comparison this weekend, though. If you don't plan on finishing, could you send me what you have so I could add to it?