Old 09-14-2018, 08:52 PM   #81
ShAiOnEiX
Banned

Default Re: Hurricane Florence

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
It doesn't back your claim because the upper bound estimates of 2000 ppm have been refuted by more recent evidence. Our proxy records have high uncertainty that is slowly narrowing over time as we improve our paleoclimate record. The paper that I linked you to was from 2014 and was significantly cited because it refuted those overly high estimates. Modern scientific consensus in 2018 is better than modern scientific consensus in 2004 in the same way that our 5 day hurricane error cone in 2018 is as big as our 3 day hurricane error cone in 2004.

So your claim that carbon levels haven't significantly changed is bullshit because the ceiling is now twice as low as it was originally. And for the record, our current value of ~410ppm is higher than any other time during the quaternary altogether. It hasn't occurred since the mid Paleocene and by the late 21st century we could reach values that are more in line with modern estimates of the Eocene.

And of course, now that your claims are shown to be complete bullshit because someone waltzed into the thread that actually know the science, you're going to go back to your tired trope of calling modern climate science "agenda-driven" because you're a stupid man that can't admit when you're wrong.
I'm not stupid if that's the case then I am wrong and maybe I need to do more research I'm interested in seeing more info if you want to talk about this somewhere else we can, maybe discord? I would be inclined to hear it from you.

Last edited by ShAiOnEiX; 09-14-2018 at 08:58 PM..
ShAiOnEiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:14 PM   #82
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

so I used to not really care about climate change and thought that it was probably overhyped. I started seriously learning about it to get a basic understanding of how our earth system works at an atmospheric, biological, and chemical level to essentially sustain life as an ongoing chemical reaction.

The first thing that really made my attention perk up was how non-linear our earth system is and how much it can be perturbed by really small fluctuations to create huge downstream events. Our glacial and inter-glacial cycles throughout the Quaternary are mostly driven by tiny changes in solar radiation created by gyroscopic changes in how the Earth rotates about the sun.

It's a common climate denial argument that these changes in orbital dynamics cause climate change therefore climate change is natural. What really surprised me though is how quantitatively tiny the changes in solar radiation from those effects are. A few percentage points of a change in the incoming shortwave radiation and our planet goes from mostly covered in thick ice to how it looks in the modern era. Then I went and looked at the quantitative changes caused by the radiative forcing of doubling or tripling CO2. Then my eyes got really big because carbon forcing is an order of magnitude larger in effect size in both directions.

If you really want to learn climate science imo you need to quit seeing climate scientists as agenda driven. The fact is that we basically walked up to an amplifier and started cranking one of the knobs up as fast as we could. The changes that we're causing are both drastic and highly uncertain. Paleoclimate records like the end-Permian mass extinction and the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum tells us that when we fucked with carbon things get extremely hot and extremely sulfury really fast (and sometimes a lot of things die). The Great Oxygenation Event (and to a lesser extent the Azolla Event) tell us that when we draw down carbon things very rapidly get cold and icy.

Just change your perspective on what climate scientists tell you and go read serious climate sources (check skepticalscience as a phenomenal one for starters) and you can get up to date on 2018 consensus climate knowledge fairly quickly. It's both very well researched and presented with an effort on being publicly visible and digestible.

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:08 PM   #83
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

This thread got hijacked hard, lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:12 PM   #84
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame

good interlude time while we wait for ridiculous precipitation numbers to show up tomorrow morning

Old 09-15-2018, 07:42 PM   #85
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame

gl to the OP wilmington is about to get smoked by a newly developing rain band for the next 12+ hours

Old 09-15-2018, 08:06 PM   #86
melonpapes
FFR Player

Quote:
gl to the OP wilmington is about to get smoked by a newly developing rain band for the next 12+ hours
i like aperson cause hes smart
Old 09-15-2018, 08:19 PM   #87
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

even though his brain is full of spiders

where about & when did you start learning about climate change aperson? Did you study it or something? Because that's a paragraph that looks like it came from a university essay.

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #88
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame

wilmington's now under the intense rainband and it looks like they're going to have lots of tornado warnings to deal with. be safe reptile.

about the most amount of tornadic couplets i've seen together in any storm.

Last edited by aperson; 09-15-2018 at 11:32 PM..
Old 09-16-2018, 04:04 AM   #89
Kokonoe Rin
Sync beats, Sync hearts.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Kokonoe Rin

Here I thought we were going to take this hurricane seriously yet everyone in the area is pretty much memeing the shit out of it but I mean I'm still alive so yay :3

(I'm in NC)
Kokonoe Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:58 AM   #90
reptile3141
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
wilmington's now under the intense rainband and it looks like they're going to have lots of tornado warnings to deal with. be safe reptile
Appreciate that, man. <3 Everything is still going well where I’m at, and they have been actively working on getting power back in the area. Also kokonoe, where in NC are you at? I know a lot of areas got it worse than we did here. Hope you’re alright, bro.

Last edited by reptile3141; 09-16-2018 at 08:58 AM..
reptile3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #91
melonpapes
FFR Player

happy national day of prayer for victims of hurricane katrina
Old 09-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #92
DotKritic
Forum User

Hurricane Harambe

FFR Member Since December 17th, 2004