Old 08-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #701
James May
FFR Player

Default Re: Keyboardsmash Phase I: Legacy Submissions Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
Most judges are very capable of putting out the logic to their reasoning, and I'm sure you had yours too which were completely sensible. I'm confident you can generally tell how much a song can offer for steps for instance. Regardless, it's how you present the review that matters. It's other people that are reading it, right?
Indeed.

Anyhow, halfway through Ham Jam. (that's the actual title lmao) might send it after a few playtests and a bit of review from other peeps before sending it here.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:43 AM   #702
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

still can't figure out why stepmania is not recognizing rparty's atropos. I thought it was the character thing lurker mentioned, but after removing all of the funny characters it still doesn't appear in my stepmania

will start reviewing once I find out why

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music
Old 08-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #703
James May
FFR Player

Welp, just finished stepping Ham Jam., now time to test it out...

edit: Sent a Ham

Last edited by James May; 08-26-2014 at 01:18 PM..
Old 08-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #704
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers

ok reviews

Atropos (rparty) - Right off the bat, we have a very odd choice of layering that doesn't really blend very well, and causes a lot of pattern choices to be very awkward due to strange positions of hold notes. On top of that, it doesn't really serve to highlight the exciting parts of the song, or does so ineffectively. The slow section has really odd pattern choices with weird jacks popped in for no real reason. The section right after the slow BPM (m43-54) is the only part that's decent, and would work well in an easy chart. Hold lengths throughout are just awkward. I don't really think minor adjustments would push this into acceptance range, you might need a total rehaul. However, given how good rCaliberGX's chart is, it's probably not going to beat it by comparison. Rejected

Idola (pompom) - Revision is better. Accepted

Space Travel (porkypink) - Hell. Yes. I love the instrument choices and the silky smooth flow. The panning effects were badass. I knew I saw potential in ya. Accepted

Truthful Legend (porkypink) - Patterns are so wacky and strong and the flow is so nice. Accepted

Bad Boy (cedolad) - Glad to see you're growing as a chart artist and being a bit more ambitious. Generally speaking, very awesome and intense, especially that first drop. However, there could be quite a bit of cleaning up done on this chart, such as with certain pattern usage (grace notes), holds (most of them too long/unnecessary), etc. Fix them up and you're good to go. Ask for a full review if you want more details. Accepted after fixes

Botines (???) - Simple and fun, really groovy. Accepted

Do Not Go Gently (cedolad) - Ehhhh, there's a lot of technical mistakes, such as wrong notes and missing rhythms. In addition, some pattern choices are really strange, and overall it just doesn't feel very tight because of all of the trilling on each hand, and it doesn't completely work with the song in my opinion. But even if you wanted to do it that way, it still needs a lot more polish. It's gonna need a good amount of fixing to get to acceptance level. Pending

Double Monk (Gradient) - Not my cup of tea but there's nothing wrong with it I don't think. Good for jack practice. Accepted

Enfoire etc (Jombo) - The way you handled pitch in the beginning was very strange. It was almost rigid, and you didn't want to really move around to follow the melody line, which could arguably work, but it wasn't even remotely consistent, so it just felt really random. In the 24th stream section, I don't know why you have an extra note after the 8th note, where the streams end. Later on the song gets really harsh and chaotic, and while it's difficult to discern sounds here, the way you approached it didn't seem to fit very well either. All in all, the chart's current style is very simple and not too interesting, and I'm not sure if it'll be right for the pack. Rejected

gaijin shawty (Jombo) - Simple and it has a nice groove. With some polishing it could be pretty good. Still feels a bit simple for the pack though, but this one is almost done on a technical level. As for polishing, changing the way you handle holds to make it more consistent as well as length adjustment would pretty much do it for the most part. If you want more in-depth explanations, ask for a full review. Pending

Seventeen (???) - Very interesting layering approach. I don't think I have a problem with it. Nothing I really pick out that's wrong about it. Accepted

WE LUV MAMA (???) - Picking a Sharpnel song is pretty daring. Choosing to do the chart old-school style is even more daring. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of the song or the chart. Rejected

Ham Jam (James May) - Song is really cool but hurts my ears after a while ;_; Chart is also cool but there are glitched notes I can't hit for some reason. Aside from that it could use a bit more polish, fixing up poor patterns and missing notes/rhythms and adjusting holds. Probably could be accepted after fixing (though still not sure why I can't hit some of the notes). Pending

And once again, if I missed any charts please let me know so I can go back and do them. I apologize in advance if that's the case.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #705
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

those glitched notes are most likely rolls
Old 08-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #706
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
those glitched notes are most likely rolls
Those are roll freezes. Been experimenting with them lately.

Also bufang, I stepped the file in an hour lmfao. If you want I can make a chart that doesn't have roll freezes and you can give me a full review of the current chart so that I can fix that up as well.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #707
Buta-san
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Buta-san

JM, Will try to fix. Wont have a chance to open sm till tonight so I cant fully visualize the notes u suggested fixing. But if u were talkin about the 24th trills I could make em 16th jacks. Actually I'd love to make them jacks cus the consistency gets out of control in that section. They didnt really sound like 16ths to me thats why it is the way it is. But, If Im gunna have a dump I might aswell keep it technical atleast.

☆group, Although I do mix songs, panning/transitioning alot in my files, this is raw mixing by matsurimi®

imo the file is half sloppy half decent. Will add more repetition and brushing cus u know, Don effect.

_________

JM, Cresending effect, u mean those quads? Its alright to say they arnt fun =P I debated whether doing that or makin them Hands and layering a note to the following sound like I was suppose to. oops

☆group, wack patterns? I hope not the piano solo and the very end. I love those sections.
I was planning on looking over the dense JS section in the second half though.

Will add charts for yall to choose for this. Theres like two other layerings I could do.
And if any1 can make a fun ass pattern for the break beat rainbow notes be my guest.
<skype
Old 08-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #708
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buta-san View Post
JM, Will try to fix. Wont have a chance to open sm till tonight so I cant fully visualize the notes u suggested fixing. But if u were talkin about the 24th trills I could make em 16th jacks. Actually I'd love to make them jacks cus the consistency gets out of control in that section. They didnt really sound like 16ths to me thats why it is the way it is. But, If Im gunna have a dump I might aswell keep it technical atleast.
_________

JM, Cresending effect, u mean those quads? Its alright to say they arnt fun =P I debated whether doing that or makin them Hands and layering a note to the following sound like I was suppose to. oops
Cool. Also, they are fun, its just funny to look back at my former style (Although I still use them from time to time heh)

Old 08-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #709
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buta-san View Post
☆group, Although I do mix songs, panning/transitioning alot in my files, this is raw mixing by matsurimi®

☆group, wack patterns? I hope not the piano solo and the very end. I love those sections.
I was planning on looking over the dense JS section in the second half though.
By panning effects I meant your treatment of them, not the music. And wacky was a compliment.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #710
Jombo1
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Jombo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargroup100 View Post
gaijin shawty (Jombo) - If you want more in-depth explanations, ask for a full review.
This please.

I suppose I can make some of the holds shorter.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #711
t-rogdor
tane orb
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor

sendt
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:35 PM   #712
t-rogdor
tane orb
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor

i fucked up and sent the version of the file with a useless easy chart that i was just kinda fucking around with. delete that and keep beginner. thanks.
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:01 AM   #713
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers

gaijin shawty (Jombo) full review

Right off the bat, the first two notes are the same pitch, so you should decide whether or not you want to keep consistency of having them on the same note or on different notes. The first time it's different, but the next time it's the same, so it feels strange. In addition, you should at least take out one of the holds. The kick drum is a very tight sound, so it doesn't need a hold, and the synth doesn't "need" it either, but it still works. Those are also not 32nd rolls, but 24ths.
On the other hand, the synth at m4 beat 4 could use a hold into the next 8th, as it's legato.

The rhythm in m8 just feels really inaccurate. Pattern could also be made a bit more smooth once the rhythm is fixed.

The next 8th note section I have trouble figuring out why you put holds to the notes that you did. I presume you're following the same synth you were following in the beginning, but if that's the case, you arbitrarily pick certain synth notes to put holds to and not others, and I can't tell why. And once again, the double hold isn't necessary, one of them will do.
As for your patterns, try to be aware of where you're repeating notes and where you're not, as this makes patterns feel very different. [12]3[24]3 is an example of a pattern without the "repeats" I'm talking about, whereas [13]3[23]3 has these "repeats". At the moment your patterns seem random and arbitrary. Try to position your notes relative to how they fit the underlying synth.

Starting m32, you start playing with some of these repetitions in ways that really fit the music, because they're actually explicitly in the music, which makes it much easier. But that's also what makes this section feel more cohesive and well-planned. This section is generally fine, but touch-ups (such as the hold thing mentioned throughout) would bring it up to par.
Beat before m41 is 24ths, not 32nds.

m45 beat 3: This is more a suggestion, but I feel like the hit on this note is not very strong, so having only a single note here helps to anticipate that a bit. When I hit this double I expected a stronger kick drum hit, but I didn't get it.
m47: You can play with these holds a bit more by taking advantage of the 8ths that you ignored. In addition, starting from this measure, whenever you have those 16th jack chains, the last note seems to drop in pitch, so maybe I would suggest putting it on a different note. It helps with flow so it doesn't feel as rigid.
m55 16th note before beat 3: Did you miss this note?
8th note before m56: There's a subtle tom hit. Did you miss this too?
m56 once again that's a 24th riff, not a 32nd riff. The very end of the measure also has significant 8ths that you can hear, not sure if you meant to avoid them, but I think you could create some effects with them that play to your advantage and give the chart a very satisfying close.

Last edited by stargroup100; 08-29-2014 at 12:02 AM..
Old 08-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #714
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Also bufang, I stepped the file in an hour lmfao. If you want I can make a chart that doesn't have roll freezes and you can give me a full review of the current chart so that I can fix that up as well.
Any word on that bufang?

Old 08-31-2014, 08:27 PM   #715
DefTeaMachine
beatboxing ninja hobo

I sent a thing.

SEND YOUR REJECTED FILES HERE

Play my (discontinued) game

Last edited by DefTeaMachine; 08-31-2014 at 08:56 PM..
Old 09-2-2014, 09:36 AM   #716
James May
FFR Player

Welp, quick notes thingy...

Bunch of random numbers that spews out random gibberish (Anonymous Steve)
Standard - Rejected
What is this I don't even.

I'll get on the other two soon, busy with classes.

Old 09-2-2014, 09:48 AM   #717
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Any word on that bufang?
Oh my god I'm so sorry I forgot to come back to this.

Will do this asap.

EDIT: Ham Jam review

Before I start reviewing I would like to remind that I don't know how the rolls translate to 3.95 so there's a chance that what I'm reviewing is quite different from what you intended to make.
m2 beat 3: If you wanna avoid the trilly chiptune riff that's fine, but I'm not exactly sure if this is the best way to go about it. Not terrible, but I just think it's a bit bland. This applies whenever this comes up again for the rest of the song.
m12 beat 3: The double here feels weird cause it lines up with the beat before, and the preceding beat is a kick and the double there is the hi-hat/snare thingy.
For large sections of the song some layering consistency could be improved. For example, it feels like there should be a double at m20 beat 2. m21 beat 4 why are there 2 doubles here?
Riffs like the one in m24 can be super-synced if you want. I don't know if it'll make it more fun necessarily but it might be worth trying at least.

This is just a personal suggestion. m20 beat 4 I'm not sure if I agree with this beat and the downbeat of m21. It leaves out the rich harmony and ornament in the synths, compensating with a triple to finish, which somehow implies a push into the downbeat. If anything, I personally feel like that downbeat pulls back. However, this is up to interpretation so if you feel strongly the way you have it you can leave it.

m27 beat 3: The chord synths, the ones on the next two blue notes, those not only don't fill out the full 8th note duration, but they also should be distinguished from the melody synth. By having them as full 8th note holds, it becomes very difficult to distinguish the two and it feels weird, as it seems to be legato, and yet the chords feel more like stabs. Generally, the rest of the chart should follow this guideline as well, but it is most evident here, which is why I chose this as the example.
m28 beat 4: You treated a similar riff earlier in the song differently.
m29 beat 2: The blue note at the end of the jack seems to be a different pitch and length as the previous two notes.
m42 beat 3: Jack feels out of place compared to the rest of the chart.
m44 beat 3: I would personally use the bassline here.

From m45 on it just feels like there's a lot of things I could say, but I'd mostly be repeating myself. And there's significantly more things going on too, so picking it apart would take me a lot of time. But if you understand the points I've already mentioned, then you should have a pretty good idea of how this last part should be like, so I'll let you work on that and if needed I'll give more comments on the next version.

Last edited by stargroup100; 09-2-2014 at 10:59 AM..
Old 09-2-2014, 09:51 AM   #718
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
Oh my god I'm so sorry I forgot to come back to this.

Will do this asap.
It's cool haha.

Old 09-2-2014, 02:47 PM   #719
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
Ham Jam review

Before I start reviewing I would like to remind that I don't know how the rolls translate to 3.95 so there's a chance that what I'm reviewing is quite different from what you intended to make.
m2 beat 3: If you wanna avoid the trilly chiptune riff that's fine, but I'm not exactly sure if this is the best way to go about it. Not terrible, but I just think it's a bit bland. This applies whenever this comes up again for the rest of the song.
m12 beat 3: The double here feels weird cause it lines up with the beat before, and the preceding beat is a kick and the double there is the hi-hat/snare thingy.
For large sections of the song some layering consistency could be improved. For example, it feels like there should be a double at m20 beat 2. m21 beat 4 why are there 2 doubles here?
Riffs like the one in m24 can be super-synced if you want. I don't know if it'll make it more fun necessarily but it might be worth trying at least.

This is just a personal suggestion. m20 beat 4 I'm not sure if I agree with this beat and the downbeat of m21. It leaves out the rich harmony and ornament in the synths, compensating with a triple to finish, which somehow implies a push into the downbeat. If anything, I personally feel like that downbeat pulls back. However, this is up to interpretation so if you feel strongly the way you have it you can leave it.

m27 beat 3: The chord synths, the ones on the next two blue notes, those not only don't fill out the full 8th note duration, but they also should be distinguished from the melody synth. By having them as full 8th note holds, it becomes very difficult to distinguish the two and it feels weird, as it seems to be legato, and yet the chords feel more like stabs. Generally, the rest of the chart should follow this guideline as well, but it is most evident here, which is why I chose this as the example.
m28 beat 4: You treated a similar riff earlier in the song differently.
m29 beat 2: The blue note at the end of the jack seems to be a different pitch and length as the previous two notes.
m42 beat 3: Jack feels out of place compared to the rest of the chart.
m44 beat 3: I would personally use the bassline here.

From m45 on it just feels like there's a lot of things I could say, but I'd mostly be repeating myself. And there's significantly more things going on too, so picking it apart would take me a lot of time. But if you understand the points I've already mentioned, then you should have a pretty good idea of how this last part should be like, so I'll let you work on that and if needed I'll give more comments on the next version.
I'll fix it up when I get the chance to. Thanks for the review.

Old 09-2-2014, 02:53 PM   #720
NeoMasterPie
Forum User

just popping in to say accept my time thanks bye

Closed Thread