Old 06-27-2018, 09:02 PM   #1
blanky!
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to blanky!
Default Thoughts/stuff

As someone who appreciated viewing the discussion going down in "Transgender AMA" and "MinaciousGrace quotes", I feel the need to comment on something.

I see a lot of "lazy", one-liner posts here, and I am in no way placing myself above this. I've definitely spammed before. But I think that this has to do with the fact that FFR self-selects for those who have a low attention span, especially as one moves into the higher ranks. And that's why it's such a gem when someone posts something provocative -- something that'll lead to more points being discussed and just overall some very insightful material.

Kudos to all of you who do post and try to reason out points; it'll help you in the long run. Not that it's guaranteed. Being a lurker is good in that it evades you from criticism, but it also prevents you from getting better at arguing.
blanky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:04 PM   #2
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Thoughts/stuff

BLANKYYYY

haha sorry im part of the problem :P
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:15 PM   #3
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

yeah I can somewhat see that,
but I never really saw some sort of correlation between higher ranking players and low attention span; for example, sk8er isn't a high rank player and his posts really lack quality/thought

i would post more often and say more words, but I do feel like sometimes my place in this community doesn't stand out as much because of the lack of common interests; i'm trying to reach out...but it is pretty hard sometimes.
AND watch anime.

Last edited by Mahou; 06-28-2018 at 01:09 PM..
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
dadcop2
FFR Player

here you go
two lines
dadcop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

I think a lot of people post like they're using discord. Maybe that's just their general posting style, but I feel like being in a chat environment might condition certain people to become like that.

I've always thought that shitposting is something I could never do, because I value my time, and I value the fact that other people are going to read my messages. I try to make them meaningful, because I don't like wasting other people's time.

I stop a lot of my posts from happening because I have this extra layer, a filter, that decides whether something is worth making real. I actually have a problem because nothing that I end up posting is really worth it by my standards, but alas I am a neurotic mess :D

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:49 PM   #6
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadcop2 View Post
I have no problem with minimalism. I think there's a definite difference between people who are being lazy, and people who are making statements.

Last edited by Spenner; 06-27-2018 at 09:49 PM..
Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:20 AM   #7
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanky! View Post
I see a lot of "lazy", one-liner posts here, and I am in no way placing myself above this. I've definitely spammed before. But I think that this has to do with the fact that FFR self-selects for those who have a low attention span, especially as one moves into the higher ranks.
I see what you're saying, but I don't see any correlation of an individual's status to his or her attention span. One-liners are for those who either do not care to elaborate/explain/dig deeper or may simply feel that there's not much that needs to be said for conciseness's sake - those scenarios can apply to anyone.

For those aforementioned threads, I think it's worth noting that the atmosphere wasn't always exactly inviting to prompt productive conversation; it often promoted confrontation instead. So I'd forgive those who didn't feel like engaging with a particular individual that they would feel uncomfortable with.

Quote:
Being a lurker is good in that it evades you from criticism, but it also prevents you from getting better at arguing.
Yes, that's one way of seeing it. However, another way is that a lurker is merely a listener, not necessarily an evader of criticism. And it's always good to shut up and listen.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:15 AM   #8
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

this is a forum for a rhythm game
why do you expect conversations at the local swimming pool as deep as the pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:36 AM   #9
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Send a message via Skype™ to DaBackpack

Quote:
Kudos to all of you who do post and try to reason out points; it'll help you in the long run. Not that it's guaranteed. Being a lurker is good in that it evades you from criticism, but it also prevents you from getting better at arguing.
Users have no obligation to engage with others on these forums. This environment is a hobby, a pastime, not a place where people are expected to confront their own personal shortcomings or lack of dialectic skill.

With this in mind, it's not at all reliable to make sweeping generalizations about users' character or argumentative abilities based on their regular posting style (or lack thereof). Not everybody has to be analytical all the time.

And, honestly, if you're looking to maximize "getting better at arguing", FFR is the absolute last place I would look to do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
no one cares
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Dan Hedgehog View Post
there are 743 matches for hedgehog suicide on deviantart
that's kind of a sad statistic
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:29 AM   #10
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
And, honestly, if you're looking to maximize "getting better at arguing", FFR is the absolute last place I would look to do that
If you play a little fun forum game called "The Werewolf Game" on FlashFlashRevolution.com...

Also, for me, I don't like doing long posts. I'm that dude that chills out in the back, makes a comment or two, and then proceeds to make things fun for themselves.

Ain't no point going in deep conversation land unless you really really feel the need to share your absolute opinion/thoughts/believes/{insert self reflection here}. Part of it has to do that I'm actually quite the private person (as hard as that may be to be believed). I don't go around sprouting what my personal vendettas and my views of the world to passerby's. There's simply no need to unless you're in the moment or with a group of friends you trust 90% (probably higher) that wouldn't judge or think differently.

Plus, it saves a headache trying to debate. Don't much care for debating (Unless it's TWG I guess, lmao) unless I got evidence to back it up and not just personal opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #11
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

tldr
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #12
andy-o24
Private Messages, please.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to andy-o24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill View Post
this is a forum for a rhythm game
why do you expect conversations at the local swimming pool as deep as the pool
We're the kiddie pool here in chit chat.

-o24

When the game isn't fun for you anymore, take a break. It's not a job, nobody here is professional and getting paid to play and force themselves to constantly improve... it's a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Yeah, FFR is addicting...I don't think I'll get bored with this game unless I somehow become the best at it, which won't happen.
andy-o24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #13
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie

Even in TWG half the players can't be bothered to read every word of the wall posts.

Just because a post has a lot of words that doesn't make it a good post. The reality is that sometimes posters are not on the right track, rambling, or people simply don't care about that topic. Long drawn out posts can also derail threads by bringing up things nobody had been talking about up until then.

Some people are even particularly skilled at making their points very concise and that can take a lot of thought and isn't "lazy" at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:09 AM   #14
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
yeah I can somewhat see that,
but I never really saw some sort of correlation between higher ranking players and low attention span; for instance; for example, sk8er isn't a high rank player and his posts really lack quality/thought

i would post more often and say more words, but I do feel like sometimes my place in this community doesn't stand out as much because of the lack of common interests; i'm trying to reach out...but it is pretty hard sometimes.
Because i dont really care about this website anymore. I put all of my time into working my ass off, bmxing, and skateboarding. Couldnt really care less about thinking before i write things on here or how long they are. I write paragraphs on facebook, but on here who really cares. lol
Old 06-28-2018, 10:16 AM   #15
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8R43 View Post
Because i dont really care about this website anymore.
Yet you still go here by typing/clicking/<whatever your method of getting here>?

Dohoho

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:19 AM   #16
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8R43 View Post
Because i dont really care about this website anymore. I put all of my time into working my ass off, bmxing, and skateboarding. Couldnt really care less about thinking before i write things on here or how long they are. I write paragraphs on facebook, but on here who really cares. lol
if this is the case then you haven't cared about this website since january of 2008
which makes me wonder why you even signed up in the first place

Last edited by choof; 06-28-2018 at 10:20 AM..
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:24 AM   #17
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
if this is the case then you haven't cared about this website since january of 2008
which makes me wonder why you even signed up in the first place
Actually no. My gt wouldnt be so high if i always hated this website.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:24 AM   #18
komochii
Banned

In his defence maybe he doesn't want to be professional all day at work then come home and act professional online like l0l fuk that I ain't got nothing to prove to yall
komochii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:21 AM   #19
blanky!
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to blanky!

I didn't make the wording in "higher-ranked players" clear enough. I don't mean the difference between D5/6/7. I mean the difference between D1 and D2+. (I have in mind a graph somewhere that depicted the distribution of skill level.) Because the D2+ players are the ones who are, more often than not, the ones interested in the game, it self-selects for those with low attention span.

I'd say that FFR has, at least in my case, been a place to get better at arguments. For everyone, actually. TWG is one example. Another example is Critical Thinking. A lot of posts have substance, even though they're outnumbered by the one's that don't. And that's not anyone's prerogative, but it's something I've noticed within the culture that's kinda led me away from FFR.
blanky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:52 PM   #20
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellonxcollie View Post
Just because a post has a lot of words that doesn't make it a good post. The reality is that sometimes posters are not on the right track, rambling, or people simply don't care about that topic. Long drawn out posts can also derail threads by bringing up things nobody had been talking about up until then.

Some people are even particularly skilled at making their points very concise and that can take a lot of thought and isn't "lazy" at all.
you can be skilled at making a thoughtful, concise point that is both stupid and incorrect

then you can defend it with more of the same in the face of opposition, which makes you stupid
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote