Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-3-2012, 02:30 PM   #41
FFR4EVA_00
FFR Player

Default Re: DotA 2

i picked up a beta key but i'd definitely be 100 times worse at this than LoL (and i'm fuckin gigabad at LoL) so i'm very hesitant to actually play it
my decision-making is completely and totally shit
Old 12-3-2012, 03:29 PM   #42
andy-o24
Private Messages, please.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to andy-o24

Honestly, it takes a LOT of time to get good at DotA. I had easily over 1000 games played on the Warcraft engine and I'm already at 401 wins on DotA 2. That doesn't even cover all the games I have watched which probably number in the 3000s. Even with all of that experience, I am still just another average player.

I went back to League after a year with one game in between that time and still had enough skill to be decent. The skills you get in DotA don't translate seamless to LoL, but there certainly is a connection.

Just give it some time. Play the bots or group up with friends. You need to get a pretty good feel for the game before you criticize your skills too harshly. I'd suggest either playing one hero over and over until you get the hang of them or completely exposing yourself by randoming and trying to play any role.

The meta game has certainly changed since I first started, but if you can deal with the mild initial learning curve, you'll be alright. Like I said, give it some time, you'll get the hang of it.

-o24

When the game isn't fun for you anymore, take a break. It's not a job, nobody here is professional and getting paid to play and force themselves to constantly improve... it's a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Yeah, FFR is addicting...I don't think I'll get bored with this game unless I somehow become the best at it, which won't happen.
andy-o24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2012, 08:38 PM   #43
TalesofFan2010
FFR Player

I've been playing Dota 2 since.. About Early 2012. I'm not the best. But I'm not that bad either. I think the game is hard at first but.. there are so many heroes to try out.
TalesofFan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #44
roundbox
Gᴇᴛ ᴀ ɢʀɪᴘ ᴜ ɴᴇʀᴅ
FFR Veteran

it's almost like people forgot about this game

so, how about that Alliance
roundbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #45
swordmasterz
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to swordmasterz

It's not forgotten, it's just not as popular as LoL

Grats to Alliance on the G-1 win, hurrah for West

Also, I have plenty of keys if anyone would like one. Just PM me
Old 05-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #46
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

this is the best fucking game i've played in a long time

my favourite heroes: tiny, gyro, invoker

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #47
andy-o24
Private Messages, please.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to andy-o24

So, DotA 2 is free to play now. You all should go download and give it a try while you're waiting for new Steam sales to come up.

-o24

When the game isn't fun for you anymore, take a break. It's not a job, nobody here is professional and getting paid to play and force themselves to constantly improve... it's a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Yeah, FFR is addicting...I don't think I'll get bored with this game unless I somehow become the best at it, which won't happen.
andy-o24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2013, 07:47 AM   #48
Wineandbread
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

3 days of TI3 have passed and no posts on FFR

I guess it's true that dota 2 is dead on this site
We climb up a lot of ladders, and fall down a lot of chutes.

Taking "all" oddjobs! PM me requests. Requests filled: 2 last active Mar. 6th, 2017

Keep it real pls. Will deny requests I cannot manage.

Wineandbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2013, 07:51 AM   #49
Fission
no
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

dota 2 is the superior game over lol, but everybody i know plays lol so..
Fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2013, 11:35 AM   #50
ddr_f4n
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fission View Post
I would say because of how easy LoL is compared to DoTA2, at least that what I keep hearing.

I don't play MoBAs often, but when I do I usually prefer DoTA2 because it just feels a lot deeper and more complex than LoL.
ddr_f4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2013, 11:41 AM   #51
Fission
no

that's pretty much it. people don't want to learn dota 2, so they play lol instead since the learning curve takes a lot less time to overcome. just the current generation of gamers, i suppose. *shrug*

not going to rant about lol because this thread is going to derail really quickly if i do, but there are plenty of mechanics in lol that should just cease to exist.

Last edited by Fission; 08-5-2013 at 11:43 AM..
Old 08-5-2013, 12:17 PM   #52
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

i mean i want to say this without coming off as a giant elitist douchebag but i think that's pretty much impossible so

i like when players claim x game has more depth than y game or x game has a higher skill cap/learning curve than y game when they aren't good enough at either to understand or act on basic strategic and mechanical game elements and will never be good enough for it to ever even matter
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2013, 12:23 PM   #53
Fission
no

that's a pretty dangerous assumption to make when you don't know anything about me or my skill level.

suppose you're correct and i'm not good enough. lol is streamlined in areas it shouldn't be, and it makes the game simpler than dota 2 mechanically.

Last edited by Fission; 08-5-2013 at 12:26 PM..
Old 08-5-2013, 12:29 PM   #54
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

i think you just missed where i said your evaluations are invalid because you don't actually understand each game enough to make that judgement

but i mean ok i can just as adamantly make the argument that dota 2 introduces an excess of worthless convoluted strategic elements that make it more focused on individual play and performance making competitive 5v5 strategic team play stale uninteresting and entirely underdeveloped

which is why dota after existing for over almost a decade longer and accruing an 8 million player-base before league even existed still basically doesn't exist relative to lol

Last edited by MinaciousGrace; 08-5-2013 at 12:31 PM..
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2013, 12:33 PM   #55
Samwais
Mysterious. . . .
FFR Veteran

DotA in general is like LoL but with every item and hero made overpowered as fuck but since everything and everyone is overpowered, there's balance.

And I've played thousands of hours of both games so I think I'm allowed to make this observation xd

With League, balance is found in everything being level and mediocre. I like to think of this as a general power level sort of thing where the general power level of DotA is high as fuck and thus you need to be much more on edge since pretty much anything and anyone can kill you from anywhere. League on the other hand is more based on leveled-out gameplay where you need to make a mistake or the aggressors need to commit hardcore for anything to really happen.

However one thing is consistent in both games and that's farming ;w;

With DotA, letting someone farm can mean that you just lost the game since one hero gets out of hand completely and can solo your entire team.

In League it's equally dangerous, but since the game is so leveled out, there's no hero in the game that can effectively solo your team 1v5 where as in DotA it's can be done very easily.

So yeah, League is decidedly slower but that also offers you more time to strategise and the balancing method Riot used makes it imperative to work as a team since single players can't win the game on their own.

DotA is much more explosive and a lot faster in terms of a number of things, but I say to each their own.

As for this whole learning curve thing, you can learn to play both games just as easily. A lot of heroes on DotA are extremely simple (as the casters often say "The right clicks come out") and so are a lot of heroes on League, but on the other end of the spectrum there's a bunch of heroes that require immense amounts of gameplay to master.

Wow I accidentaly a whole novel.

tl;dr In the end they are two different games. It's like comparing apples and oranges >_< Never really understood why people need to establish one to be better than the other.
Samwais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2013, 12:40 PM   #56
Fission
no

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
i think you just missed where i said your evaluations are invalid because you don't actually understand each game enough to make that judgement

but i mean ok i can just as adamantly make the argument that dota 2 introduces an excess of worthless convoluted strategic elements that make it more focused on individual play and performance making competitive 5v5 strategic team play stale uninteresting and entirely underdeveloped

which is why dota after existing for over almost a decade longer and accruing an 8 million player-base before league even existed still basically doesn't exist relative to lol
you are arguing something completely different than what i am arguing.

i said the learning curve for dota 2 is higher, nothing about the skill ceiling. are you really trying to tell me this isn't the case? the game is much less forgiving mechanically than lol when you are first learning when you have to deal with denying, creep pulling, creep stacking, and positioning/farming without a get-out-of-jail-free summoner spell. i'm sure there is more i'm missing right now.

also, in regards to the player base, you should also consider the fact that lol was available and f2p before dota 2 even entered closed beta, so that's where everybody was. they have no reason to switch to dota 2 now.

EDIT: just to clarify, i'm not arguing that dota 2 is better than league, just that people aren't willing to learn dota 2 because it has a steeper initial learning curve.

Last edited by Fission; 08-5-2013 at 12:44 PM..
Old 08-5-2013, 12:46 PM   #57
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

Quote:

EDIT: just to clarify, i'm not arguing that dota 2 is better than league, just that people aren't willing to learn dota 2 because it has a steeper initial learning curve.
Quote:
oh.....
j-rodd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2013, 12:46 PM   #58
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

I don't play either tho so suck it
j-rodd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2013, 12:49 PM   #59
Fission
no

yeah, that's kind of contradictory isn't it . i shouldn't have said it was definitively better, just that i prefer it over lol.
Old 08-5-2013, 01:37 PM   #60
Soul.
Very simple indeed. *sip*
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwais View Post
DotA in general is like LoL but with every item and hero made overpowered as fuck but since everything and everyone is overpowered, there's balance.

And I've played thousands of hours of both games so I think I'm allowed to make this observation xd

With League, balance is found in everything being level and mediocre. I like to think of this as a general power level sort of thing where the general power level of DotA is high as fuck and thus you need to be much more on edge since pretty much anything and anyone can kill you from anywhere. League on the other hand is more based on leveled-out gameplay where you need to make a mistake or the aggressors need to commit hardcore for anything to really happen.

However one thing is consistent in both games and that's farming ;w;

With DotA, letting someone farm can mean that you just lost the game since one hero gets out of hand completely and can solo your entire team.

In League it's equally dangerous, but since the game is so leveled out, there's no hero in the game that can effectively solo your team 1v5 where as in DotA it's can be done very easily.

So yeah, League is decidedly slower but that also offers you more time to strategise and the balancing method Riot used makes it imperative to work as a team since single players can't win the game on their own.

DotA is much more explosive and a lot faster in terms of a number of things, but I say to each their own.

As for this whole learning curve thing, you can learn to play both games just as easily. A lot of heroes on DotA are extremely simple (as the casters often say "The right clicks come out") and so are a lot of heroes on League, but on the other end of the spectrum there's a bunch of heroes that require immense amounts of gameplay to master.

Wow I accidentaly a whole novel.

tl;dr In the end they are two different games. It's like comparing apples and oranges >_< Never really understood why people need to establish one to be better than the other.
I couldn't said it better than this. ^

Solo = 700-725c (SDFJKL) (CS note, Orbular) (Down)
Soul. is offline   Reply With Quote