Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-8-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
Bojack2424
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Bojack2424 Send a message via MSN to Bojack2424
Default Final Fantasy XIV

soo what do you guys think? I was surprised they kept it a secret for so long. Coming out 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAFyFCqCEW0
Old 06-8-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
krunkykai22
<3 Jumpstream <3
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to krunkykai22 Send a message via Yahoo to krunkykai22 Send a message via Skype™ to krunkykai22
Default Re: Final Fantasy XIV

are you kidding another online one??? thats annoying ... but alright i suppose, ive beaten every single FF there is and so far 7,8,9,10 were the best ... with 3 and 4 tightly close ... 11 was just annoying and 12 was different ... very different ... but hey looks kinda cool anyway, might try it xD
krunkykai22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
Izzy
Snek

I don't see why they need to stick to this numberical order. Why don't they just think of names for their games.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I don't see why they need to stick to this numberical order. Why don't they just think of names for their games.
Or original concepts rather than sticking to a failing method of creating RPGs?
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
Izzy
Snek

That would be great to. If they put that much effort into original games I would probably buy all of them.

There is a large number of things square enix does outside of final fantasy though. So they sort of do other things to.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2009, 06:44 AM   #6
Shaydow
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

If you've played the FF series of games, you would know that while they follow a numerical order to the release of thier games, all but TWO FF games ( FFX2 and FF Crisis Core ) are unique games and follow thier own story. They also DO have thier own title to the game, though its usually Asian and most Americans dont bother with it, they just call it by its FF#.

As for saying they are sticking to a FAILING method of RPGs . . . . What? I mean if you dont like RPGs then thats your opinion, but you come across awfull closed minded when you say its a "Failing" genre just becuase YOU dont like it.

I gladly await any FF release thats comming, and FF's rank up there in my top best games ever played.

I admit however, FF11 wasnt all that great, so Im hoping the online of FF14 is abit more, hmmmm, forgiving . . . . of more casual gamers then FF11 was.

All just imo.
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing. " ~ W.S
Shaydow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

No, I meant it literally.

There's absolutely no reason to continue to pursue broken turn-based combat systems. None.

We've had the technology for true real-time combat for ages now. Either stick with a standard turn-based system or go real-time. This in-between stuff is atrociously bad.

I knew when I said anything bad about Square that I'd have a fanboy on my ass about it, since so many people are absolutely in love with Final Fantasy. Alls I'm trying to say here is that ATB is pointless and they need to abandon it.

I am a fan of RPGs, just not Final Fantasy games (or any Square franchises for that matter). It's not just ATB, since I know they haven't always had it. There's just something lacking from every single game they make. I wouldn't be able to tell you what that is, but it always feels unfinished to me. When I compare a game like FFX or FFXII to Persona 3 or Tales of the Abyss, there's just no contest. The character development in both of those games is second to none (except each other). The character development in FFX and FFXII... where is it? Is there any? I certainly never saw it in the 5 hours I could stand playing before quitting. This trend carries into other Square games too. The games feel unfinished.

It just feels to me like Square knows they have a fanbase that will buy anything it puts out, so they just don't care anymore. Look at how many Kingdom Hearts fanboys there are who will completely ignore the fact that Kingdom Hearts 2 was basically 95% cutscene and 5% gameplay (if you can call mashing X and occasionally pressing triangle gameplay) and continue to plead and beg for Kingdom Hearts 3 information even though it will probably be yet another fanboy-driven re-hash of the exact same gameplay from the previous 2 games with OMG CLOUD!!!!!!!!! ^_^ cutscenes thrown in for good measure.

TL;DR - drop ATB.

ps - as for this topic (since we'll be off it soon if we're not already), just play WoW. You know, unless you want bosses that take 36 straight hours of combat to complete.

Last edited by Squeek; 06-9-2009 at 08:44 AM..
Old 06-9-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
Shaydow
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post

There's absolutely no reason to continue to pursue broken turn-based combat systems. None.

We've had the technology for true real-time combat for ages now. Either stick with a standard turn-based system or go real-time. This in-between stuff is atrociously bad.

I knew when I said anything bad about Square that I'd have a fanboy on my ass about it, since so many people are absolutely in love with Final Fantasy. Alls I'm trying to say here is that ATB is pointless and they need to abandon it.
There is no reason for you to have done all that. Once again, we all relized your opinion of the FF series of games. I bold your quote only to show you yourself know how many people DO like the FF games. Just becuase you don't, well . . .. ok. Got it.

I do.
Old 06-9-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

I'll play a game with ATB. And I enjoyed the mashing X factor of KHII for the same reason I like flash games. A lot of the joy of gaming isn't derived from figuring out which stat to pimp or having randomly generated drops with randomly generated stats from enemies. I'll take each new town having one super expensive weapon and an ATB system as much as I'll take a Sacred 2, Baldur's Gate system.

Really, what it boils down to is freedom of choice. I want to be able to choose between a slower, plodding game, and a game that has a lot of forethought and planning that goes into battle. Hey, you like chocolate, but what you're suggesting is that we get rid of all other flavors except chocolate variants.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaydow View Post
There is no reason for you to have done all that. Once again, we all relized your opinion of the FF series of games. I bold your quote only to show you yourself know how many people DO like the FF games. Just becuase you don't, well . . .. ok. Got it.

I do.
And I wonder why, because it sounds to me like you like the franchise because you liked some games in it and continue to play them hoping future titles will be like those previous games. It also seems like most of these fans ignore games not made by Square and that's what confuses me the most because there are so many better RPGs out there.

I'm a huge fan of RPGs and I literally cannot touch final fantasy games, so I'm asking what makes them good.

ps Mal Sacred 2 is abysmally bad holy damn
Old 06-9-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
Shaydow
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
And I wonder why, because it sounds to me like you like the franchise because you liked some games in it and continue to play them hoping future titles will be like those previous games. It also seems like most of these fans ignore games not made by Square and that's what confuses me the most because there are so many better RPGs out there.

I'm a huge fan of RPGs and I literally cannot touch final fantasy games, so I'm asking what makes them good.

ps Mal Sacred 2 is abysmally bad holy damn
I distinctlly remember saying I DIDN'T like FFXI in my first post, I also enjoy MANY RPG's, the LUNAR story on the SegaCD being my all time fav, but that's just becuase I was a teen at the time and the animation / storyline / character evolution was more then anything that had been put out at the time, and really drew me and my best friend into the game over a summer school vacation the year it was released.

You never asked what made them good. You only cared about what you felt made them bad. Why should I even begin to explain why I actually like the FF series of games, when it's already clear, as I've said more then once, you don't.

All of this is pointless anyway, I would rather get back on track to the thread with like minded people interested in the news about the new FF, rather then debate with someone who assumes " fanboy " becuase someone gets enjoyment out of something.

P.S : In my top 5 favorite games, FF Tactics is a MUST.
Old 06-9-2009, 06:03 PM   #12
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

What, I like Sacred 2.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2009, 06:26 PM   #13
Crashfan3
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Crashfan3 Send a message via Skype™ to Crashfan3

Jeeeezus eeefffffing chriiiiiist, another one??!!
They were all pretty good, up until FFX, which was just the START of the downturn. XI and XII were just ... god damn, words can't describe. And why are they already planning XIV when XIII isn't out yet? They don't know how the sales will do! Well, then again, like Squeek said, it's an FF game with over 9000 x 9000 fans, so it's automatically going to sell zillions of copies.

-___-

modern rpgs are ghey stop making this crap and get duke nukem forever out

edit: no seriously i'd rather be playing dark cloud >:Z

Last edited by Crashfan3; 06-9-2009 at 06:30 PM..
Crashfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2009, 08:05 PM   #14
Chocolate Rain
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chocolate Rain Send a message via MSN to Chocolate Rain Send a message via Skype™ to Chocolate Rain

So far I'm the only guy/person I know who liked FFX-2...I've played FF12 but neeever finished it. Hell, I barely went 4+ hours into it. 1 and 2 = <3 7,8,9, are great, and 10 was...meh. Now XIV? I think it's time to stop now .
Chocolate Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2009, 09:42 PM   #15
MrMagic5239
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrMagic5239 Send a message via MSN to MrMagic5239

FF 11 failed hardcore, maybe 14 is a rebound of 11
Arme (Mage/Alchemist/Warlock/Battle Mage) Lvl 80/80 MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Ronan (Spell Knight/Dragon Knight/Aegis Knight/Abyss Knight) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Lass (Thief/Assassin/Dark Assassin/Striper) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4, EXP Rank 1
Ryan (Druid/Sentinel/Viken/Xenocider) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Amy (Dancer/Musician/Siren/Superstar) Lvl 78/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 13
Sieghart (Gladiator/Warlord/Duelist/Prime Knight) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Jin (Fighter/Shisa/Asura/Rama) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4 EXP Rank 1
Zero (Seeker/Wanderer) Lvl 79/80, MP Bars 4/4 EXP Rank 9
Dio (Stygian/Drakar//Leviathan) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Rin (Caller) Lvl 77/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 32
Rufus (Bounty Hunter/Killer/Ravager/Arbiter) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Ley (Summoner/Harbringer) lvl 79/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 21
Asin (Desciple) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1 (Eastern Rain Liquid Jade aquired)
MrMagic5239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2009, 11:02 PM   #16
xealix
One Among The Fence
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to xealix

Wooo Go ATB!! I enjoy classic rpg's better then any of the real time stuff, and of course i think kingdom hearts is amazing just cause disney + FF= Bad Ass.
At least to me anyways. Really I dont feel there is any reason to rag on any game out there if its not your style dont play it and dont comment on it. deffinetly dont tell people its a bad game cause you never know who will like it.
xealix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2009, 11:52 PM   #17
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I'm not specifically ragging on the games. I'm saying I don't like them and I'm asking for an explanation as to what makes them good, because I'm a huge RPG fan and I cannot stand Final Fantasy games. Those two facts coincide to make me wonder what it is that makes them so good to you guys, because in my mind people just buy these games based on the fact that it is another "Final Fantasy ##" game.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:27 AM   #18
ShAiOnEi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ShAiOnEi Send a message via Yahoo to ShAiOnEi

Quote:

I am a fan of RPGs, just not Final Fantasy games (or any Square franchises for that matter). It's not just ATB, since I know they haven't always had it. There's just something lacking from every single game they make. I wouldn't be able to tell you what that is, but it always feels unfinished to me. When I compare a game like FFX or FFXII to Persona 3 or Tales of the Abyss, there's just no contest. The character development in both of those games is second to none (except each other). The character development in FFX and FFXII... where is it? Is there any? I certainly never saw it in the 5 hours I could stand playing before quitting. This trend carries into other Square games too. The games feel unfinished.

It just feels to me like Square knows they have a fanbase that will buy anything it puts out, so they just don't care anymore. Look at how many Kingdom Hearts fanboys there are who will completely ignore the fact that Kingdom Hearts 2 was basically 95% cutscene and 5% gameplay (if you can call mashing X and occasionally pressing triangle gameplay) and continue to plead and beg for Kingdom Hearts 3 information even though it will probably be yet another fanboy-driven re-hash of the exact same gameplay from the previous 2 games with OMG CLOUD!!!!!!!!! ^_^ cutscenes thrown in for good measure.

TL;DR - drop ATB.

ps - as for this topic (since we'll be off it soon if we're not already), just play WoW. You know, unless you want bosses that take 36 straight hours of combat to complete.
Your criticisms are lame keep up with your animosity towards final fantasy games but don't start pulling fanboy attacks. I have played shin megami tensei games and they are fun but I also enjoy much playing the occasional final fantasy. They don't sell strictly because of their name I mean if they had no gameplay value I could understand your points but I have personally played squares games. Character development is fine and I have spend a good deal of time creating powerful characters happily. That's one reason I am looking forward to FF14 because it won't have characters like you running your mouth about how closed minded you really are.

Epic thread killer
ShAiOnEi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:38 AM   #19
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
I'm not specifically ragging on the games. I'm saying I don't like them and I'm asking for an explanation as to what makes them good, because I'm a huge RPG fan and I cannot stand Final Fantasy games. Those two facts coincide to make me wonder what it is that makes them so good to you guys, because in my mind people just buy these games based on the fact that it is another "Final Fantasy ##" game.

Addendum - and they defend them vigorously even when I don't directly attack them.

So, to clarify with big bold letters.

Please explain to me what makes Final Fantasy games so good that you simply must buy each new one as it comes out.

I am not ragging on you for buying these games religiously, because if I did so I would be a hypocrite as I do the same for Tales games. I buy consoles specifically so I can play the new Tales games, because the franchise is really awesome. Tales Studio has a knack for character development and they know how to make a complete game from start to finish. The combat system is the biggest draw though, because it's so well fleshed out and just beautifully executed. I couldn't care less that I'm fighting the thousandth or ten thousandth encounter trying to find a rare drop, because the combat is always fun no matter how many times you do it. Link this together with a perfect soundtrack in every game and you can see why I buy Tales games every time there's a new one.

Have I been bitten for buying every Tales game I can? Sure. ToS2 was horribly bad. I'll admit that my devotion to the series clouded my judgment on that one. But Tales of Vesperia was more than enough to make up for just how bad ToS2 was, and I can always fall back on Tales of the Abyss if I want to experience absolute RPG perfection. And, though I love real-time combat, it's not as if I hate turn-based combat. Disgaea and Phantom Brave taught me that SRPGs can be fun. Persona 3 and Wild Arms 3 showed me that turn-based games don't always suck and that I was just playing the wrong turn-based games (aka Square games). And I'm not even saying all Square games are bad. Chrono Trigger was pretty good (didn't really like it though). Mario RPG was phenomenal.

I'm mostly saying the direction they have taken since their first PlayStation games has been detrimental to progress in the franchise and that they really need to re-evaluate their style as it is beginning to turn off even their biggest fans.

But I'm also saying that I can't stand playing their games for more than an hour because they're just really boring and they have a weird way of telling their stories by not actually telling you anything. I played FFX for about 10 hours (the longest I've ever played a final fantasy game!) and this is all I got out of the story: you're a kid and somehow you decide to protect this girl and it's sad and then you play underwater volleyball the end. FF6: You're a girl in a robot and you fight things and then I quit because I had no idea what was going on and couldn't care less. FF7: you're a mercenary with spiky hair and triangles for arms and you fight things for some people and then I quit. Crystal Chronicles: you have to buy what to play with friends? Why can't I just use another controller? Why did I buy this game =/

Last edited by Squeek; 06-10-2009 at 06:04 AM..
Old 06-10-2009, 07:11 AM   #20
Bojack2424
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Bojack2424 Send a message via MSN to Bojack2424

i was just wondering wether or not the games are on the same timeline...

if any of you happen to know >_>