Old 08-11-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
dbziscool
FFR Player

Default Music(Over produced bands)

As a member I decided I would speak my mind a little bit here. Over produced simply means a band that sounds good in the studio but terrible live. also, a band that is not very good at all but is marketed to the point were alot of people like them simply because their record label says their good.

(1.) Dir en Grey (Now before the J-rock fans shoot me, here me out. I'm just not impressed with their basic power chords and boom boom chick drum beats. Most of their songs are poorly written. Being Very un-consistent with timing is not progressive kids. The reason most people like them is their image and marketing. Plus, live they are just...ugh...search Dir en Grey at wakken if you don't believe me.)

(2.) White stripes (I'm sorry but I find these guys and to be the worst band I have ever heard in the studio and live. They are nothing more than basic rock trying to be blues and everything about them is sloppying. the solos were out of key and the drummer seems to not know any proper tech or fills.)

(3.) Avenged Sevenfold (Oh yes, I went there. Their music had never impressed me. I'm sorry but their no were near the talent of Nevermore, Acheron, Iced earth, Kamelot or most bands. I find their vocals to be quite anoying the drummers double bass is so slow when compared to Elctrikchair, Mayhem or even most prog metal bands.)
dbziscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:16 AM   #2
Afrombean
FFR Player

Default Re: Music(Over produced bands)

Tons of bands are bad live, but good in studio. Tons of solo singers too.

You are right to judge a little, but I think you're off target a little as well. I'm not familiar with Dir En Grey, and I don't even know Avenged Sevenfold by name, but I am familiar with the White Stripes, and I think you missed the point. Basically everything you pointed out with them seems to be an intended feature, and personally, many of those things are the things I enjoy about their music. What you call "basic rock trying to be blues", I'd say is their chief selling point. That, and many of the songs aren't really blues-y at all either, and in fact, their popular singles are perhaps the least blues-y of all of their music (compare: "Fell in Love with a Girl" and "Hotel Yorba"). And what you attribute to the drummer "not knowing any proper techs or fills", when I'm in the right mood, I enjoy the simplistic drumming.

But that aside, the only point you have to make is the offkey solos, which honestly, I can't think of any specific instances, unless you're referring to the wild bends in songs like "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" or "Seven Nation Army".

Last edited by Afrombean; 08-12-2008 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: changed an example because I thought of a better one
Afrombean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:46 AM   #3
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Avenged Sevenfold lightened up a bit which i've noticed most self titled albums have that happen. Most bands suck live, the only one i think i'd pay to see live that i listen to is As I Lay Dying.
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:52 AM   #4
arrekusuof93
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to arrekusuof93 Send a message via MSN to arrekusuof93 Send a message via Yahoo to arrekusuof93

I'd like to know how someone could possibly make a list of bands that suck live and not mention Dragonforce.

P.S. AILD rocks
arrekusuof93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:23 AM   #5
dbziscool
FFR Player

There are many bands that are awful live yes. I'm only pointing out the worst ones I have seen. Now as far as most bands being bad live I find that to be un-true. Many times you can notice the mixing is bad but not the band. this is often a problem for example a band like Primus or Elctrikchair would be extremly difficult to mix live. The reason being how progressive their sound is.

I understand that people like how simple the White strpies are but his solos are 100% sloppy. Compare him to a basic guitarists. His vocals give me a head ace. I just can't stand the White stripes.

The worst top 5 list would have to be

(1.) Dragon force (...Good god...I can hardly tell what songs they are playing....)

(2.) Cradle of filth 2004 and now(Really the band is fine but the vocals....seesh!)

(3.) Avenged Sevenfold (Yes, they are bad live. the singer has lost all voice controll.)

(4.) Dir en Grey (....Vocals are bad....Drumming is bad...Guitars play the wrong song sometimes...)

(5.) Panic at the disco (Don't like them never will. But thats not the point, The vocalist sounds nothinglike in the recordings.
dbziscool is offline   Reply With Quote