Old 01-17-2004, 02:03 PM   #1
User6773

Default Idea: "Revised" Scoring System

Scoring problem:

Right now you can get 100 perfects, then a miss, then 100 perfects, and get a worse score than your challenger (who, say, got 150 perfects then 50 misses.) Now honestly, who's the better player here?

Here's my new score idea. It is loosely based on Perfect Attack in DDR, though it doesn't place all the emphasis on getting perfects. I call it "10,000 Best" scoring, a moniker which will become evident as I explain:

Assign all accuracy ratings these values:

Perfect = +4 points
Good = +2 points
Average = 0
Boo = -1 (this is because a boo and a miss usually come together)
Miss = -2 point

So add up the points that you got. Take that number, divide it by the maximum possible number on that level, and then multiply it by 8000. Round down. That's your Technical Score. So you get between 0 and 8,000 here, depending on how close to all perfects you were.

Now the combo score. Take the max combo you got in that song, divide it by the maximum possible combo, and then multiply that by 1000. Round down. So you get a 0-1000 combo score, depending on how well you got in terms of combo.

Then the completion bonus. You get +1000 points for having cleared the song, simple enough. If you don't clear the song (like you fail partway through) you get 0.

Your score will then be between 0 and 10,000. What are the advantages of this system?

Well, first of all, the obvious presence of a 10,000 score as a high watermark on all songs. Thus you always know you're talking in terms of 10,000 and not in terms of 698,950 or whatever. So you always know that scores in the upper 9,000s are "good scores" no matter what song you're talking about.

Second, a miss in the middle of the song doesn't royally screw your score as long as you've been technically proficient up to that point.

You can assign grades if you want:
10,000 = AAA
9,500+ = AA
9,000+ = A
8,000+ = B
6,000+ = C
5,000+ = D
3,000+ = F
0+ = X

I hope that 10,000 Best scoring is considered for FFR.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:11 PM   #2
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lightdarkness Send a message via MSN to lightdarkness Send a message via Yahoo to lightdarkness Send a message via Skype™ to lightdarkness

*claps*
it is a good sysytem, but how would you weed out the hackers?
Old 01-17-2004, 02:17 PM   #3
Ice-Dragon
FFR Player

Seems like a pretty good system... I don't think boo can have a value of 0 though. That means it doesn't take away from your total score and promotes mashing without consequences. Although mashing in this system would be significantly less useful because of the decrease in points awarded for max combo, however there should still be some sort of penalty for it.
Ice-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 02:17 PM   #4
aleco
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to aleco

Also would you do a credit per 500 points or so?
So max would be 20?
Old 01-17-2004, 02:20 PM   #5
Ice-Dragon
FFR Player

That wouldn't work out then... because you could get 20 credits for a piss easy song...
Old 01-17-2004, 02:22 PM   #6
aleco
FFR Player

o yeah, forgot about that.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:32 PM   #7
alainbryden
Seen your member
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

one problem with that scoring, someone do crazy well on a hard song like Caprice by just smashing the keyboard for 2 and a half minutes. And you have to get some points for combos, come on. I agree that the person who got 100 perfect 1 miss and 100 more perfect is better than the one who got 150 perfect then 50 boos, but if that case does happen, it's a matter of luck. I'm sure the better player will prevail if he plays a second time. It's all about being under pressure with the combos. I think it should stay as is.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:38 PM   #8
Cenright
You thought I was a GUY?!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: Beaumont (A town with 25 times fewer people than this site)
Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

It seems better to do this.
+4 Perfect
+2 Good
+1 Average
-1 Boo (To discourage boo-whoring)
-2 Miss
Cenright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 02:39 PM   #9
aleco
FFR Player

^^Yeah that's better.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:41 PM   #10
alainbryden
Seen your member
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Yeah, it solves one problem, but I still think alot of the pressure envolved is keeping the combo's going.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:44 PM   #11
aleco
FFR Player

Yeah, combo shouldn't be down that much, but at least some.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:58 PM   #12
User6773

Scoring values changed to something similar to what Cenright has suggested. I still feel average should be 0 - if you got an average, it really was a bad hit. Kind of similar to getting a Good on DDR.

Combo between 1 and 1000 is nice. If you get a miss dead in the middle of a song, that makes your combo score 500. Don't forget that. Because the top-tier players on songs are going to be 9,900+, and the combo scoring as it is in my idea pretty much ensures you can't get on the high scores unless you full-combo the song. Plus, when both players have mostly perfects, combo will still be a deciding factor. Combo is still a big thing, but it's no longer the only thing.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:59 PM   #13
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

Combo doesn't count on real DDR; it shouldn't count on FFR.

Sounds good other than that, Chardish.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 04:31 PM   #14
Ice-Dragon
FFR Player

Of course combo counts in ddr! Maybe not for points, but without a good combo that idiot in the background won't call you a dancing machine =)
Old 01-17-2004, 04:34 PM   #15
User6773

Adding the 1,000 for full combo is sort of the three-fifths compromise of the scoring plan, for people who don't want to see combo become irrelevant.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:57 PM   #16
altairian
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to altairian Send a message via MSN to altairian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy
Combo doesn't count on real DDR; it shouldn't count on FFR.

Sounds good other than that, Chardish.
Yes but in DDR the end of the song is worth a shitload more points than the beginning of the song. As if that makes any sense either.
Reach: there was this bee. i hate bee\'s...i tryed to kill it, but then it didn\'t die and it started making weird noises so i was like oh (#$% hes gonna sting me. i started running but i triped over some rock and rolled down a hill into the river.
altairian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:14 PM   #17
User6773

Making combo count for a little bit differentiates it from DDR somehow, and ensures that you can't get on the high score board unless you FC it.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:51 AM   #18
Cenright
You thought I was a GUY?!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: Beaumont (A town with 25 times fewer people than this site)
Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenright
It seems better to do this.
+4 Perfect
+2 Good
+1 Average
-1 Boo (To discourage boo-whoring)
-2 Miss

And here is my addition. To my system.

+.5 * Max Combo. This means that an 800 combo acts like 100 more perfects. Right now, the scoring has them worth 800 perfects.
-or-
+.25* Max Combo. This means that an 800 combo acts like 50 more perfects. Right now, the scoring has them worth 800 perfects.

It just depends on how much combo significance Synth would want to get rid of.

There shouldn't be a point cap though of 10,000. It should just tally up your score and leave it as is. There COULD be a difficulty modifier though. If it is a harder level, you get a higher factor multiplied to your score, so it pays off in credits to play harder songs, even if you aren't as good at them as the easy songs.
Cenright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 05:35 PM   #19
User6773

Idea (Synth could do this with a bit of number crunching) for credits with a score cap of 10,000:

The "base credits" you get are between 0-5.

0 points = 0 credits
2,000 points = 1 credit
4,000 points = 2 credits
6,000 points = 3 credits
8,000 points = 4 credits
10,000 points = 5 credits

Rounded to the nearest credit. Now. There are 66 songs in FFR. Synth would have to assign each song a difficulty between 1-6, simply based on nothing more than how many registered users have cleared the song. So the hardest 11 songs get a difficulty of 6, 2nd hardest 11 get a difficulty of 5, etc. all the way back to songs 55-66 getting a difficulty of 1. So then we come up with the Credit Multiplier:

Difficulty 6 = 5x normal credits
Difficulty 5 = 4x normal credits
Difficulty 4 = 3x normal credits
Difficulty 3 = 2x normal credits
Difficulty 2 = 1x normal credits
Difficulty 1 = 1x normal credits

Yes, I repeated myself, but that's because there are a LOT of very easy songs in the game that most people can clear without much difficulty (specifically the easy dance songs.) Thus it doesn't seem appropriate for there to be a significant difference in bonus for that relatively homogenous set of songs. Yes, I've thought this stuff through.

BTW, Cenright, did you rename this topic? P.S. Your proposed system of .25 x Max Combo or .5 x Max Combo still puts too much emphasis on combo. I've had challenges with less than that much difference in perfects. My system is very workable.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:37 PM   #20
aleco
FFR Player

I like Cenright's idea. And ^^ difficulty should be how many xcredits u get.