Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking

Old 07-16-2008, 12:07 AM   #1
kid_merkury
I make good music
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Mankind vs. Machine....kind.

While modding pc (^^), a few users were talking about how in 100 years, the world would be taken over by machines. And I said, "this isnt the matrix. we arent going to have to fight for survival against machines and etc etc etc.

What are you thoughts? Would technology ever reach the level where we could potentially lose control and no longer be the dominant "species"?

Imo, not to that extent.

-Merky
kid_merkury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:44 AM   #2
Sullyman2007
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Sullyman2007
Default Re: Mankind vs. Machine....kind.

I can't see robots ever taking over the Earth. I believe that with time, the human species will develope new ways to travel, communicate, live work and play in which we create machines to help "make our lives better". However with that said, I don't see machines ever completely taking over the role of a human being, or our species ever being rendered inept to the likes of machines.

But technology works in strange ways. It can be our best friend or our worst nightmare, and I wouldn't be supprised to see the human race suffer catostophic consequences for allowing our imaginations to run wild.

They say the human species has technologically progressed further in the last ten or so years that it has in the last 200. It is only logical to assume that if we continue on the current trend, our unquenchable yearn to progress and "better ourselves" will ultimately lead to our great demise.

Last edited by Sullyman2007; 07-16-2008 at 01:58 AM..
Sullyman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:31 AM   #3
fido123
FFR Player

The non-robotic war machines were currently use are the machines that can cause the most destruction therefore the best robot for this would be similar to these with the exception that it is unmanned therefore we will be at an even playing ground with some kind of unmanned jet-plane/tank. Also this idea is pretty dumb in the first place as machines can't think for themselves and unless somebody builds an army larger than the combined worlds forces/efforts and manages to program all of this perfectly...it's not going to happen.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:45 AM   #4
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Location: My own world. Miserable. Disgusting. Appalling. Pessimistic. Horrific. Terrible.
Send a message via AIM to Xx{Midday}xX Send a message via MSN to Xx{Midday}xX

It depends.

1) Humans have to obtain the ability to produce machinery that transcends the powers of humankind. Note, just because a computer can do super rapid math compared to a human, doesn't mean it transcends us. By a machine transcending us, I mean a machine that can act on its own. Machines that require some manipulation from humans do not transcend humans at all.

2) Humans have the choice after they obtain this ability: To either lose to their curiosity/greed and create such a machine, or not. Of course, doing the former would most likely result in the start of machine domination. The latter, would most likely not.

I don't believe it can get anymore simple than that.

If we take it to the degree where we think of human emotion, it is a different story. Machines most definitely have made humans a lot more lazier than previous generations, as well as somewhat physically weaker as a whole. Therefore, in that sense, machines may be dominating our will for self-action.

I assume humans will cause their own extinction way before we reach this level of intelligence anyway. I also doubt anything other than humans can bring the creation of machinery at this level. You can change I assume with I hope.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)

Last edited by Xx{Midday}xX; 07-16-2008 at 01:54 AM..
Xx{Midday}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:09 AM   #5
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Well, it is fairly self evident that machines have the ability to greatly surpass human ability if they were ever able to think for themselves, since we rely heavily on machines to figure out many things for us nowadays that our brains are incapable of computing.

Hell, even a fairly basic program you run on a home pc that follows a few simple algorithms can compete with grandmasters at chess, simply because they can perform raw calculations at a level millions of times faster than we can. The difference is currently machines cannot, or can only demonstrate very little, fluid intelligence, i.e. the ability to think for yourself and come up with a unique solution, rather than relying on a set of instructions like a computer must currently do.

By the time we actually figures out a way to make computers 'think', it could be a very long time from now, and we could have quantum computers that are millions of times more powerful than they are today. Things could get out of control very quickly, as we would be dealing with intelligence beyond what we are capable of imagining. I mean, try to imagine what havoc could start by inserting only a single hacker on the planet, not only more than a billion times more intelligent than any human being is currently, but who can work billions of times faster. I don't think it's something we will want to deal with. Aside from immediately having access to unlimited amounts of information it could store and remember, you could almost immediately do a lot of damage.

I would much rather a cyborg scenario where we use computational power to increase human intelligence, rather than for the creation of incredibly intelligent machines that might not be so fond of following rules.

However, with that said, the scenario is incredibly unlikely and I don't believe such a thing would ever happen. I don't think the technological leap and epic blunder necessary would be able to occur fast enough for machines to immediately grab control of human civilization. Progression with sophisticated forms of AI will likely be slow, and we will likely be well aware of their power before they are out of our hands.

Last edited by Reach; 07-16-2008 at 07:32 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
SnS
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Even if humans will be able to build intelligent robots, it's not like they won't implement fail safe measures, in the event that the robots "malfunction" and develop an ardent desire to take over the world.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #7
darkness1477
FFR Player

but if the compters are really that smart than they can get past the safeguards humans have put on them. i don't believe something like that could happen because people want power and if somebody came close to devoloping something like that he would be killed and someone else would take it then they would get killed and so on until someone was able to keep it. but then they wouldn't be smart enough to finish it so he would have to hire people who would probably sabotage his work and take it for themselves, then get caught and killed which would start an endless cycle until the technology is destroyed, or the human race is (whichever come first)
darkness1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
SnS
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Humans would create the robots and make them dependent on something which the humans control. If that something is gone, so are the robots.

For example:

if blablabla=1 then: intelligent robot code.
else: self-destruct.

Humans can set the value of blablabla. I think it makes sense.

Last edited by SnS; 07-16-2008 at 11:55 AM..
Old 07-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Location: My own world. Miserable. Disgusting. Appalling. Pessimistic. Horrific. Terrible.
Send a message via AIM to Xx{Midday}xX Send a message via MSN to Xx{Midday}xX

But if the point of a "super-robot" was that it didnt rely on human command...

there would be no such thing as a safety measure. because that is a human command.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)
Xx{Midday}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
Master TAnK Evans
FFR Player

robots huh no matter how good we get a robot cannot' preform every single task without at least some kind of human assisstance not to mension we can make them do things sure but how much power will they take? is it worth replacing a person when the person is probably the cheaper way out? robots are only useful to preform their certain task so we don't have to...like making pizzas in bulk and such because they are tedius jobs that have to be done and most people won't want to do and employers won't want to risk them quiting, showing up late or anything like that (injury)

why would we want a robot that can do everything? i doubt we would want or need to in the end. no robots will only be used for stuff we can't do by ourselves and that's it in my opinion ( I am not at all worried about any genocidal super robots and the near or even distant future)

Have a great day
Master TAnK Evans
Master TAnK Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #11
Skeleton-GotW
Lol Hellbeat
FFR Veteran

I could see the army developing some very "resourceful" new robot soldiers that could adapt to varying combat scenarios and make quick decisions, but in no way does that translate to what we're discussing.

However, I COULD see some evil scientist (hundreds of years down the line when it becomes easier to make dangerous robots like that) creating one and programming it with a high level AI that enables it to:

A) see the world similar to or as we do (3-dimensionally).
B) be able to interact and gain from the 3-D world around it.
C) reconfigure its pieces to create additional robots that can do what it does.
D) seek out new energy sources and potential robot pieces to maintain it's ability to function and make new robots.
E) be amazingly well armored and equipped, very small, or both as to evade or defeat the humans in combat.

It would have to be RIDICULOUSLY well-designed to do that though, not to mention such operations would probably be discovered and stopped in that security hundreds of years down the line would ideally be far more efficient.

Last edited by Skeleton-GotW; 07-16-2008 at 04:44 PM..
Skeleton-GotW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #12
SnS
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midday}xX View Post
But if the point of a "super-robot" was that it didnt rely on human command...

there would be no such thing as a safety measure. because that is a human command.
Then make a very intelligent robot, but make it unable to act by itself (with no physical power), that can only come up with suggestions that humans can use to improve themselves. Like a super computer. Suggestions like "Become extinct." could be disregarded, haha.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
darkness1477
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeleton-GotW View Post
I could see the army developing some very "resourceful" new robot soldiers that could adapt to varying combat scenarios and make quick decisions, but in no way does that translate to what we're discussing.

However, I COULD see some evil scientist (hundreds of years down the line when it becomes easier to make dangerous robots like that) creating one and programming it with a high level AI that enables it to:

A) see the world similar to or as we do (3-dimensionally).
B) be able to interact and gain from the 3-D world around it.
C) reconfigure its pieces to create additional robots that can do what it does.
D) seek out new energy sources and potential robot pieces to maintain it's ability to function and make new robots.
E) be amazingly well armored and equipped, very small, or both as to evade or defeat the humans in combat.
I think that if 1 robot could do all that we would have other robots that could do almost as much so if it tried to take over the other robots could help us stop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeleton-GotW View Post
It would have to be RIDICULOUSLY well-designed to do that though, not to mention such operations would probably be discovered and stopped in that security hundreds of years down the line would ideally be far more efficient.
which would bring us back to my original statement that human ambition would keep us from ever possesing such technology (unless something happens like on i robot but then we would have a war and eentually win because we could build strongewr robots that are totally dependent on humans though).
darkness1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #14
mightymic
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to mightymic

I don't think that robots could take over the earth but I always believed in the fact that if the human specie have to come to an extection, it will be because of us. I mean it will be ourself that will have created something that will kill us all like some kind of weapon that we don't control.

God gave man a brain and a phalus, but enough blood to power one at a time.

Proud one-handed player!
mightymic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #15
yk13
FFR Player

It will be almost impossible to build and program a "super" robot. Millions, or even billions of lines of code will be required to build a robot which can pass the Turing Test. Entering in all this code will take years and human error will make sure that there will almost always be a bug or an error in the code. When that happens, scanning through the billions of lines of code will take years, too.
It's much more easier to program in a set of rules the robot adheres to and let it learn on it's own.
yk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #16
mightymic
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to mightymic

Yeah it can be really long to code all this but remember that we are always develloping new technologies so we don't really know what lies ahead.

God gave man a brain and a phalus, but enough blood to power one at a time.

Proud one-handed player!
mightymic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #17
XxXMetalheadXxX
Lack of faith=disturbing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymic View Post
I don't think that robots could take over the earth but I always believed in the fact that if the human specie have to come to an extection, it will be because of us. I mean it will be ourself that will have created something that will kill us all like some kind of weapon that we don't control.
I agree with mightymic on everything he's saying, I think it will be our own fault if we go extinct because it's our fault already that there is so little amount of trees left. Even if we got so far into 100 years our trees might be all gone because of land development. We screwed up I think on alot of things however, I don't think our existence would end by some kind of..."Super Robot" of some sort. I'm sure it would be very hard to make a "Super Robot" but im sure it could possibly happen in the future. There's so many national armed forces that are all over the world and could possibly join together and stopped a robot if it ever happend. But like I said it would take a long time and be very hard to make one but who knows what could happen in the future. Things are being created everyday, that's just my opinion.
-XxXmetalheadXxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Ormix View Post
n ordR 2 ayayay song on maniastep you must mov ur fingr tothbeat of song an it recptr clean on ifyou do thgreat then no ayayay 4u

Last edited by XxXMetalheadXxX; 07-16-2008 at 08:33 PM..
XxXMetalheadXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #18
danthemano
FFR Player

I only read the first post, but i would have to say:unlikely.

In general, we are pretty far from creating true artificial intelligence. some machines can do simple tasks automatically and everything, but there wont come machines that will have such greater intelligence than us.

Sure computer may be smarter than us and can do math problems faster, but they don't have any type of political/ leadership ambition.

We're mostly able to control the functions of our machines, or at least point them in the right direction.

And if machines were to try to take over the world they would be the bad guys.
everyone knows bad guys come last..
danthemano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #19
Master TAnK Evans
FFR Player

machine uprising? we have armor peircing bullets one shot almost anywhere would hit some kind of software and the thing is disabled....we can peirce too many types of armor why do we care? we also have EMP why is anybody worried

1. we can destroy them very easily if it happens
2. the "mad scientist" would need...way too much money for all that

so... we never need to worry about it lol trust me
Master TAnK Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #20
Russ_on_a_bus
FFR Player

Man vs Machine? I think that Machines might be able to win, but it wouldn't be in the sence of a tradition doomsday device or a super death machine. Instead it would be some freak computer code or virus that enters the internet. You know how an email can travel across the planet within a couple of seconds, well if the code/virus was programmed well enough it could sneak into the world computers in a couple of weeks. From there it could start corrupting the computers in a couple of weeks eventually causing it to shut down. However most of the governments computers have firewall to so it down, but personal computers aren't as well protected. Therefore a large majority of computers in the world will shut down and it will be a huge hassle for everyone. If the goverments computers were to shut down then society will be hit with a major blow and millions of businesses will go bankrupt, countries defenses will be down,etc. Here is an example say if the computers at the stock exachange(New York) were to shut down, then over 3 trillion dollars would instanly be lost and thats a lot of money.

But don't worry its just a theroy I just made up
By the way where's the spell check?

Last edited by Russ_on_a_bus; 07-17-2008 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: Bad Grammar
Russ_on_a_bus is offline   Reply With Quote