Old 12-13-2021, 11:53 PM   #641
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjixcon View Post
^I have those same exact headphones lmao

Did you guys know you can make an anagram using the words Delta Omicron
(you have to use all the letters and can only use each letter once and it spells Media Control xD)

I didn't believe it until I tried it on a piece of paper lol
iceland motor
Old 12-14-2021, 01:31 AM   #642
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBar View Post
I tried wearing my P100 respirator to CVS and Safeway today, I didn't know what kind of reactions I would get but really nobody cared, I didn't get any comments or stares or anything. The only issue was that I had trouble speaking clearly, I wish there was a half-face respirator model that had both a speech diaphragm like the Secure Click and an option to add an exhalation filter like on the 6200.
I never get anything other than kids thinking it's cool as hell or the occasional "nice mask" from someone with an impossible-to-decipher tone when I wear my 6503 out.

Old 12-16-2021, 02:08 AM   #643
blindreper1179
Vice President Of TGB
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to blindreper1179 Send a message via Skype™ to blindreper1179

I have covid for the second time. Woot woot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
It was like trying to throw logic at a fuckin brick wall lmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
whats more dense, a black hole or an icyworld file
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
I've never been so disappointed by a man from Alabama than I am right now
Old 12-28-2021, 06:03 AM   #644
marcuswest
Banned

Personally was quite critical of the coronavirus until I got sick myself. I even had a cough of blood. After that, I decided to vaccinate and not risk my health.
Old 12-28-2021, 08:08 AM   #645
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 View Post
Why does it seem like every time we get a vaccine then God releases a DLC that adds a new variant
LOL
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Old 01-1-2022, 07:44 PM   #646
drizzleRomanceGirl
rain of memories...
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to drizzleRomanceGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindreper1179 View Post
i hope you feel better soon

my discord username is drizzleRomanceGirl0706 in case anyone wants to message me

Division 5 2nd place

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosua View Post
Oh, I thought it was just my internet this whole time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
Also that triple post is almost as delicious as a hot, fresh, Domino's pizza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
can y'all take a break and kiss
(the first section of this chapter)

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5125582...sokyo-no-Jinja
Old 01-2-2022, 12:08 AM   #647
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

been recovering from covid for last 2 weeks, shit sucks, even if vaxed.

Old 01-2-2022, 08:06 PM   #648
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindreper1179 View Post
this terrifies me

- Tosh 2014

Old 01-3-2022, 07:33 PM   #649
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

Well I was fully boosted... my fiance was one week post booster and got covid, minimal symptoms i.e cough, tired, headache... nothing terrible. I was TRYING to get it from him. I wanted to get this round over with while I was at my peak vaccination, but I was unable to get it from him.

Hope that helps someone
Old 01-4-2022, 03:11 PM   #650
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Yea I was telling people that if you're gonna get covid, now's the time to do it. Symptoms weren't really all that bad, worst side effect is Christmas getting cancelled.

Last edited by rushyrulz; 01-4-2022 at 03:12 PM..
Old 01-4-2022, 04:13 PM   #651
Sanjixcon
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I'm unvaccinated and I haven't gotten sick yet... was hoping I'd get it by now so I could have natural immunity but somehow I've been able to dodge it for the last 2 years.
Old 01-4-2022, 08:41 PM   #652
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

Trying to get "natural immunity" against something that spins up new variants every few months seems like a less than optimal strategy.

Old 01-4-2022, 08:59 PM   #653
radioamor
anhedonia extraordinaire
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
Trying to get "natural immunity" against something that spins up new variants every few months seems like a less than optimal strategy.
...especially when omicron has proven to be particularly evasive against enhanced mitigation strategies, much less something as risky and tenuous as catching the virus to acquire an ephemeral natural immunity. We are never getting rid of this, so catching COVID to acquire immunity would be roughly analogous to intentionally getting the flu one year so you could be immune the next.
We live in a dispiriting state of affairs.
Old 01-4-2022, 09:10 PM   #654
HBar
2020 Returnee
FFR Veteran

I can't believe I have to say this, but DO NOT GET COVID INTENTIONALLY.

Even a so-called "mild" case can mean permanent damage to your lungs, to your vascular system, to your nerves, to your other organs, lost sense of smell, increased risk of early-onset Parkinsons, and increased risk of death from other causes. And it doesn't provide any kind of guaranteed or long-lasting immunity either, re-infections are common. So then if you get it a second time, the damage from the first infection will be a co-morbidity that makes the second infection even more likely to be severe. And then the damage from the second infection will be compounded on top of what you got from the first time.

Getting covid also means putting everyone around you at risk. Do you want to live with the knowledge that you're responsible for the death or disability of someone close to you? Or even if they seem fine, they could also go on to infect others, who go on to infect others, etc. There's no way to know in advance how many people will be affected and how much suffering it'll cause.

This is also one of the worst possible times to get it. Suppose you guessed wrong and you or the people you give it to end up needing hospitalization? Hospitals are all overwhelmed right now, you could end up with a multi-day wait in the ER, only to end up on a gurney in a poorly-heated tent in the parking lot in the middle of winter because all the rooms are full, barely attended to by a numbed, sleep-deprived skeleton crew who might also be sick but forced to work anyway, even though they ran out of the supplies and equipment that they'd need to give you proper care.

And likewise, do everything you can not to get (or spread) covid unintentionally either. If you're vaccinated, that's a good start, but you need to keep acting as cautiously as if you were unvaccinated. Against Omicron, two doses barely provide any protection against infection. Getting a booster is important, it provides partial protection against infection, but it might be as low as 37%:
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....30.21268565v1

So everyone, even vaccinated+boosted, still needs to be wearing masks. And they need to be effective masks too. Cloth and surgical masks are NOT effective protection, they don't block enough viral particles even through the mask itself, and they tend to leave gaps around the sides where air is completely unfiltered. You need a N95/FFP2/equivalent rated mask or better, and it should be well-fitted so that there aren't any gaps at all anywhere around the perimeter of the mask. In contact situations where everyone is wearing surgical masks, even when those masks are worn correctly and properly fitted, and for only 20 minutes, the chance of infection is still 10%, because surgical masks aren't good enough protection. That might seem like an OK percentage if you only ever had to have a single encounter, but when you have to encounter many people every day and it's potentially a 10% risk each time (and even higher if the other person is unmasked or their mask isn't well-fitted), then that quickly compounds to a high chance of getting it.

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/49/e2110117118

(TIL means total inward leakage, the percentage of particles getting through the mask. The inset shows how much worse surgical masks and unadjusted FFP2 masks are than adjusted FFP2 masks: surgical masks are about 6 to 15 times worse than adjusted FFP2 masks, unadjusted FFP2 masks are about 4 to 9 times worse than adjusted ones.)

(The infection risk is still 10.14% if you're in contact for 20 minutes with someone infected, even if you're both wearing well-fitted surgical masks. That's a risk 75 times higher than if you're both wearing well-fitted FFP2/N95 masks.)

If you want a N95 mask, I've been really happy with 3M Auras. The padded strip along the nose means they're comfortable and it's easy to get a good seal, they're surprisingly breathable and don't build up moisture as easily as other masks, they don't fog up my glasses, and they don't bunch against my nostrils or mouth so it's easy to breathe and easy to speak. They're sold in the paint aisle at Home Depot, they were plentiful last month but this month they might be harder to find. There are also plenty of places to order them online (I got mine from industrialsafetyproducts.com because I wanted the 9210 version with elastic fabric straps instead of the 9205 version with rubber band straps. But it took them two weeks to arrive even in late November, I'd expect the wait to be longer now.) Just don't order masks from Amazon, some suppliers have been selling counterfeit masks on Amazon and Amazon warehouses mix together the inventory from different sellers if it's supposed to be the same item.

If you're worried about the price or scarcity, N95s don't have to be single-use, as long as they're clean and dry they're generally good to use repeatedly, for maybe 40 hours of total use or more. It's still a good idea to rotate through multiple masks if you can, so you don't have moisture building up in one mask repeatedly.

Finding effective masks for kids can be a lot harder, because there are fewer options and a lot more possible variations in head size. There's a google doc with a comparison of different options at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...24Vv8MPk#gid=0

TL/DR:
-Covid is bad, folks. Don't get it. Don't spread it.
-Get vaxxed+boosted for partial protection against omicron, but don't use that as an excuse to take any extra risks.
-Always wear a mask around people from outside your household. Yes, even after you're vaxxed+boosted. Cloth and surgical masks aren't effective enough, wear N95 or better and make sure it's fitted well around your face.
Old 01-4-2022, 09:57 PM   #655
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Huh.

This thread still exists?

No useful input. Ignore this post.

Closed Thread