Old 01-6-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
~kitty~
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Yes...

So, many of you many know me...

You know I've been very annoying, made dumbass threads (this could be one too), and done very dumb things...

This is here to tell you that you won't be seeing much of me... and I know that I didn't check to see if this fits into Chit Chat or not...

but I'll just wait to find out if this can be moved to the correct place.

I never said "Hi" to the forum community... need to get to know you guys a little more and learn some more about what drives you guys to post what you post and something useful... not just a "lol, nub" post. How do you find what you want to find in the forum? Like, what steps do you take before you post? I'm sure the commoners of the forums DO take precautionary steps before posting, right?

Also, I just need a tee-wee bit on how to make a useful thread... this one seems to not be looking so great (in my opinion) so far. But, I feel a need to ask anyways, because I lack the knowledge on how to do things on my own...
~kitty~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
Quigly
nah
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Yes...

Mostly when I post it's to make my opinion heard in one way or another. Maybe some one will agree with you or disagree with you and then you get a conversation going and sometimes more people join and share their opinions. The forums are a great place to learn, discuss and share ideas which I personally find very entertaining.

Another reason is that after a number or so of posts you start to feel like you are becoming a part of the community. You get to know fellow posters and will maybe even make a few friends. Maybe after a while you want to make a song or a file for FFR, you post it on the forums and people critique it so in turn you learn how to improve with what you do.

During the year or so I've been on the forums I've learned so much about FFR related things (how to get better at the game, how to make a stepfile) and even non-FFR related things (like how to improve my drawing). So in a way I also want to help this site continue to grow so that I can learn more from it.

And I really don't think you're that annoying. You've made some pretty helpful posts.
Old 01-6-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

who are you?
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Quigly
nah
FFR Veteran

='(
Old 01-6-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
footbull3196
Banned
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to footbull3196

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kitty~ View Post
Also, I just need a tee-wee bit on how to make a useful thread....
Yeah, same here, although you have to admit, I have been getting better on the threads that I do make and the fact that I don't make threads very often.

But seriously, sometimes I'll make a thread that seems like it's worth talking about, and then it's really not. How can I really tell if it's worth mentioning?
footbull3196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2009, 09:20 PM   #6
Zybanthia
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

I read just about every thread that comes up on the right column of the main page, but respond to generally few of them. If it doesn't interest me, I don't post; if I have something to say, then I'll say it. Just try to be relevant to the discussion.

Also, what Quigly says is true: the longer you're here, the more you'll feel you fit in because you'll get to know people and how they post, and people will do the same for you.

Lastly, don't TRY to make a useful thread; if you don't have anything good to make a thread about, then don't. After almost 250 posts, I have made one thread and it was my introduction thread. Other than that, I've never started a thread, period. Don't feel obligated to, please; many bad threads get started that way.

Last edited by Zybanthia; 01-6-2009 at 09:27 PM..
Zybanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
thechild
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
who are you?
How about me @_@

Wonder if you remember me bugging you on AIM when I was a little nub. And at the OP change your avatar, that might do something.

Last edited by thechild; 01-6-2009 at 09:27 PM..
thechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
Tater Tot
FFR Player

A generally good rule of thumb for making good (or at least decent) threads, is to ask yourself, would footbull do this? If the answer is yes, Don't Do It. Unfortunately, for you to know if footbull would do it or not, you need to read his post history. And that is a very painful thing to do.

Honestly though, just ask yourself if the thread invites flaming, can be answered with a simple yes or no, if it is appropriate for a younger member to view, and if the topic can actually go anywhere. If the answers to these questions are no, then don't make the thread.

As for finding things in the forum, there is a search function you can use to see if a thread has been done before, although it's not the world's greatest search function.

Have fun!

@the child: avatars have nothing to do with it.

All images are links, click one and have fun!

Last edited by Tater Tot; 01-6-2009 at 09:44 PM..
Tater Tot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2009, 10:04 PM   #9
~kitty~
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybanthia View Post
I read just about every thread that comes up on the right column of the main page, but respond to generally few of them. If it doesn't interest me, I don't post; if I have something to say, then I'll say it. Just try to be relevant to the discussion.

Also, what Quigly says is true: the longer you're here, the more you'll feel you fit in because you'll get to know people and how they post, and people will do the same for you.

Lastly, don't TRY to make a useful thread; if you don't have anything good to make a thread about, then don't. After almost 250 posts, I have made one thread and it was my introduction thread. Other than that, I've never started a thread, period. Don't feel obligated to, please; many bad threads get started that way.
2nd most helpful post I've read at the moment...

I think that maybe you're right... but I made this for the sole purpose of just... trying to figure out what I should do to become a forum regular... because I am planning on becoming one, I suppose. I do NOT want to have to feel like a mentally incapable individual in things... as I have mentioned in my Original Post that I do not know how to do things on my own...

I am trying to find that out...

As for the other posts... I see many people like to have fun, and I'm alright with that.

but too much is too much.

EDIT: as for you, knuckles... you don't post in a thread you don't understand the meaning to. If you don't care, why are you bumping it?
Old 01-6-2009, 10:15 PM   #10
Zybanthia
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kitty~ View Post
I think that maybe you're right... but I made this for the sole purpose of just... trying to figure out what I should do to become a forum regular...
I wasn't commenting on your creating this thread specifically. I see its purpose. But I see threads (specifically in Critical Thinking) that just look as if they were started for the sake of starting a thread; for the sake of "getting in on" the thread making process.

Best advice I can offer if you want to see how things are done is to just observe how they are done. Read successful threads others have started, and read posts that respected members make. It's pretty easy once you realize that as long as you're not being a giant troll and you're posting on topic, you'll fit in. Also, don't expect people to respond to your posts. Many will go by unquoted, but it doesn't mean people aren't noticing you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles2224 View Post
I do not understand the meaning of this thread. And I don't care bye.
This is exactly what we're talking about. If you don't care, don't waste server space with a reply please.
Zybanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2009, 11:10 PM   #11
tofurox
Them arrows.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to tofurox

Were you not the one taking to footbull3196 in profile chat a while back?

Edit: Wow lots of people have posted now, I ment to post this earlier.... My question is answered.

This sig has been enhanced by the FFR Staff for being too large. Thank you for participating.
tofurox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

moved to newbie.
Old 01-7-2009, 04:34 AM   #13
twitching77
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

heh i understand the feeling of wanting to become a regular. . .wanting to be respected, and well liked.
i'm in the same process myself in world of warcraft .

i don't post much here. . .in fact i hardly ever check the forums unless i'm bored, or am looking for something specific (ideas on how to improve mainly.)
in fact i was doing the same tonight. . .checking the forums for some inspiration.
i was reading a post made by a guy asking for some advice on how to get better at this game.
someone told him to increase his speed mod.
lol such a simple piece of advice, and something i've done before (i'm currently using 1.25%). . .but it's exactly what i needed (i'll be trying a bit faster now).

just be yourself, and don't be afraid to say what you need to say. not everyone will like you. . .but who cares? you spend long enough anywhere with alot of people, you're bound to find some friends. as long as you have them, it shouldn't matter if a few people don't like you for whatever reason.
and there's times and places to joke around. . .especialy if you have an odd sense of humor that may not come out well to everyone (lol like i do :0 ). you'll have to try to find a balance between being serious, and joking around and having fun.
it becomes much easier once you do start to make some friends, and once other get to know you better. . .they'll be able to tell when you're just having fun.

and post. . .post. . .post.
no one will ever know you if you don't get your name and opinions out there.

lol sorry for a 100,000 word post .
take care,
thnx.
Old 01-7-2009, 04:43 AM   #14
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS_pjpaveloffga View Post
lol, nub
lol, nub pj

hey kitty i think this thread is fine you're just asking for some info

i usually read a thread in its entirety before i post and if not i atleast read the last page or so. during that time i decide if i should post or not
Old 01-7-2009, 04:45 AM   #15
lxDestinyxl
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lxDestinyxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitching77 View Post
no one will ever know you if you don't get your name and opinions out there.
No matter how blatantly obvious may be, this quote is undeniably true. I believe nobody here will know geoffro17. A school friend of mine, he is an FFR regular, but never posts on the forums. The only times he has ever made an effort to do so is for the Official Tournament.

I can't stress enough, no matter how good you are at FFR, you won't ever be 'well known' if you don't speak out, try to make as many friends as you can and if you continue to hide away under the many hundreds of AAAs burying you deeper and deeper from the FFR community.

A little effort is all it takes to become a much happier person on any forum.
Old 01-7-2009, 02:53 PM   #16
~kitty~
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasselfoot View Post
moved to newbie.
Thank you, Tass. d:

I kinda thought it was supposed to be there, but I wasn't sure because I've posted in the forum before...

Anyways, I guess that doesn't mean anything.

Everyone seems to be a bit nicer than I thought.

I was expecting like, some kind of troll orgy or something.