AND watch anime.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #22
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner
Default Tutorial Time

Hey guys. Thought I'd share a tutorial for something fun I do when I'm bored in photoshop but short on time. Really simple concept that can lead to very dynamic results.

By the way, I'm leaving this an open thread for random tutorials you guys might know that are interesting, feel free to share.

For this tutorial I'm using Photoshop CS6, but any previous or future versions should work almost identically.

- Start by creating a New document that is a square, it can be any size

- Choose a Foreground and Background colour, again it can be anything your heart desires

- Fill the canvas with either colour

- Navigate: Filter > Render > Difference Clouds
... - CTRL+F a few times to make the render more complex/mix the colours

- Next we need to break down the image a bit, so: Filter > Pixelate > Mezzotint. Use anything you want, but I pick Short Lines generally

- Now things will get a bit smoother, apply: Filter > Blur > Radial Blur. Choose Zoom, and select Best quality, with the full amount

- To add more details, you have options. You can use Mezzotint again, and re-apply the Radial Blur again (use the blur twice to optimally smooth things), or use something like Filter > Stylize > Find Edges to more or less randomize your results. For this I'm going to use Find Edges and invert my image (CTRL+I), then apply Radial Blur again

- Now we need to apply some sort of distortion to our starburst. You have many options-- virtually anything in the Filter > Distort panel, or Filter > Liquify, or anything you can come up with. For this example I'm just going to use Filter > Distort > Twirl at the default value

- Finally, duplicate your creation layer with CTRL+J, Transform with CTRL+T, right click on the image, and click Flip Horizontal (you can rotate or flip the image however you like though)

- The last step is to select what blend mode you want your layers to interact with. Make sure your duplicated/topmost layer is selected and click above the Layers panel where it says "Normal", select either Darken or Lighten, depending on the type of render you've made, and you should get favourable results with one of them. If you have darker artwork, I suggest a lightening blend mode, but you'll see for yourself

Voila. This one was using "Lighten"

And here's the same artwork but inverted, with "Darken". I also rotated my duplicated layer 90 degrees

Take these instructions as a grain of salt, you have a great deal of freedom exploring the concept of blending bursts of colour with layer blend modes, this is basically an introduction into how they can blend and produce dynamic results-- the Radial Blur starburst shape is just a nice symmetrical example, the same pixelation with Motion Blur instead, and then distorting it, can also produce some interesting things.

Here's a few more examples I made yesterday at work. Once you get this little workflow down, it takes less than a minute to make one. Impress your friends!!!

BONUS: Once you flatten your layers (CTRL+Shift+Alt+E makes a flattened copy), applying the Oil Paint filter (CS6: Filter > Oil Paint; Above: Filter > Stylize > Oil Paint-- it's not in the older versions I'm pretty sure) can smooth out your lines and make them look like they were brushed in and not rendered so much (I also brightened it a bit):

Do share your results if you get anything interesting :P

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:29 PM   #23
Trumpet63
Mostly Ignored
Skill Rating Designer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Tutorial Time

Hey, cool tutorial! Using roughly the same steps in Pant.net, plus increasing the saturation, I got this result.
2014 October 7th 1:03 AM

Zageron: Trumpet
Trumpet63: yes, im here
Zageron: You have a problem.

Last edited by Trumpet63; 07-19-2016 at 05:29 PM..
Trumpet63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:53 PM   #24
Azpb Djbread
FFR Player

i have both but photoshop is being a butt so ima use Paint.net
Azpb Djbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:26 PM   #25
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

I'm really tempted of making a gif of your examples scrolling, get high, and have a good time

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Last edited by MarioNintendo; 07-19-2016 at 07:26 PM..
MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:09 PM   #26
Trumpet63
Mostly Ignored
Skill Rating Designer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

2014 October 7th 1:03 AM

Zageron: Trumpet
Trumpet63: yes, im here
Zageron: You have a problem.
Trumpet63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:37 PM   #27
Azpb Djbread
FFR Player

i really suck at this i cant do it xD
Azpb Djbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:55 PM   #28
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

Bored, neat idea.
Arntonach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:10 PM   #29
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azpb Djbread View Post
i really suck at this i cant do it xD
I highly recommend using photoshop and following the steps if you can lol. That's the most viable way to do it.

The results from Paint.net nonetheless look pretty cool, good use of using the tools at hand. I dig that last one Trumpet.

And Arntonach, that for SOME REASON reminds me strongly of a lens flare from the mothership of E.T., some faint childhood memory has been tickled.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:40 AM   #30
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Time for another. This one I cooked up myself and I'm quite happy with the results I used to do a lot of mindless stuff trying to automate rendering original images but I never really thought about it very smartly. While at work a few days ago I wrote up a photoshop action to build bump maps and accidentally applied the wrong filter but thought the results were cool. I elaborated on my apparent mistake, and voila!

So, starting out, I will be using Photoshop CS6 again.

CTRL+N this shit. Set your document size to anything, preferrably a square document. I'll be using 1000x1000px. Must be in RGB to achieve the effect.

Choose a VERY LIGHT foreground colour (off-white works best) and quite a dark, but saturated background colour for your swatches. You can hit D then X to get set up with black and white just to see the effect (xd) and colour it afterwards with adjustments.

Fill your canvas with one of your colours.

Filter > Render > Difference Clouds. Hit CTRL+F a few times so you're set up with a fairly randomized cloud.

NOTE: If you want a simpler looking final result, use the regular Filter > Render Clouds at this stage. Difference Clouds will add extra colours to your image, and you may want to avoid this if you want controlled results.

Apply Filter > Stylize > Wind. You can choose what you like but for the particular results I'm looking for I choose Stagger. CTRL+F and repeat this filter a couple of times, so you see a bit of variance.

Now navigate to Filter > Filter Gallery. Find Paint Daubs under the Artistic folder. I used these settings:

Repeat this with CTRL+F once more.

Now go to:

Filter > Oil Paint (CS6)
Filter > Stylize > Oil Paint (CC)

Preferably using these settings, although you can tweak the first two options. The filter looks like shite otherwise:

Repeat the filter to your liking.

CTRL+T, right click, Rotate 90 Degrees CW. Sharpen to taste.

Cool technique Spenner, insta-art!!! What else can this process do?

Glad you asked, it's actually a process you can loop to build some interesting results, which is why I made some Actions for it.

If you repeat the tutorial without the Render > Clouds portion you will end up with some cool textures. Note that the more colours you whipped up with your original Difference Clouds render, the better this loop works out.

Psychedelicccccc!

For more practical application and artistry, here's an example of an image I started building yesterday in my spare time at work (W.I.P.W.I.P.W.I.P):

Innit cute? So, use this "filter" if you want to quickly make some watercoloured looking backgrounds or something, or to embed as a texture onto an object of sorts. Have fun.

If anyone wants my set of photoshop actions to play around with (I also made one to automate my previous tutorial) lemme kno and I'll get them when I'm at work again.

Last edited by Spenner; 09-24-2016 at 07:59 AM..
Old 09-24-2016, 07:43 AM   #31
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Lol I'm reading this thinking back to my graphics class... I feel like you'd love that stuff lol, learn opengl and mess with images.

All we do is write random filters with algorithms and equations lol, applying every pixels rgb channel to sin function or something weird

This looks cool bruh
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:58 AM   #32
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

That is absolutely up my alley, such things have always really interested me. I never did anything substantial with programming but I would love to build legit photoshop filters. Using existing ones is very limiting : c do you have any links/resources you could PM me or something?

Old 09-24-2016, 08:19 AM   #33
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Ill ask my professor later, apparentlly one year, for their final project a group made photoshop filters... He said that Adobe's SDK is terrible and complex lol, but I'm sure it's possible.

Ill see if I can get some info on it, I'd have no idea how to even start actually making filters for photoshop itself, but it's definitely possible
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #34
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Doing more brainstorming, I could probably do much better with a standalone project of sorts and worry about photoshop filter stuff a bit later, there's much potential I must elaborate on firstly (porting to photoshop can be figured out later I guess). But cool, much appreciated!

Old 09-24-2016, 11:04 AM   #35
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Throwback to early sm graphics