Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #41
Xception704
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: STARCRAFT does anyone still play it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
I had a mancrush on Reach way before Cholera, lol.

Quote:
Vaul has a really sexy voice
lol sounds a little more than a man-crush to me.
Xception704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #42
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

hey

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #43
Xception704
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

hi?
Old 07-23-2008, 10:57 PM   #44
Trask
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

If you're playing toss on a money map and you wanna take tanks and wraiths there's two way to do it. The better method is to just mass scouts and have a bunch of observers follow them around, the scouts will own the wraiths and and when they're done, they'll destroy the tanks too.

Another way to deal with the problem is to make a group of arbiters and mass archons. Fly the arbiters in and stasis the wraiths if you care about your arbiters. Stasis or not, once your arbiters are above the tanks recall your archons right there. Once the tanks are toast have your archons ready to finish of the wraiths when they're out of stasis, this second method is better if the enemy has valkyries. Also if the enemy has valks try to keep your observers at a safe distance so they don't pop and the wraith cloak becomes a problem.

By the way this second method is also an excellent way to attack an enemy base, just be sure to get the recall in before your arbiters die off, and always ALWAYS have a bunch of batteries ready to pump up your units shields when they're running low.
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:13 AM   #45
Cursebred
FFR Player

Starcraft will probably crash and burn one day.

I hear Blizzard is making a World of Starcraft. I mean, come on. Seriously?

Death Metal and Black Metal for the WIN!

http://www.myspace.com/cursebred

That is all.

- Cursebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitznpv View Post
Tass rejects good files. Bye.
Cursebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:18 AM   #46
hi19hi19
lol happy

SC2 and World of Starcraft and any other random crap that you might dream up of might all go the way of Starcraft: Ghost, but the original Brood War will always remain an amazing game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trask View Post
If you're playing toss on a money map and you wanna take tanks and wraiths there's two way to do it. The better method is to just mass scouts and have a bunch of observers follow them around, the scouts will own the wraiths and and when they're done, they'll destroy the tanks too.

Another way to deal with the problem is to make a group of arbiters and mass archons. Fly the arbiters in and stasis the wraiths if you care about your arbiters. Stasis or not, once your arbiters are above the tanks recall your archons right there. Once the tanks are toast have your archons ready to finish of the wraiths when they're out of stasis, this second method is better if the enemy has valkyries. Also if the enemy has valks try to keep your observers at a safe distance so they don't pop and the wraith cloak becomes a problem.

By the way this second method is also an excellent way to attack an enemy base, just be sure to get the recall in before your arbiters die off, and always ALWAYS have a bunch of batteries ready to pump up your units shields when they're running low.
1. Mass scouts is usually NOT a serious tactic. I mean yeah it works in theory, but scouts cost sooo much and take forever to build
2. Stasis/Recall is always good against everything lol, not just tanks

The best way to break a Terran tank contain/slow push as P is zealot bombs, and lots of speedlots to draw fire. Then, ranged goons (more of these if they're pestering you with wraiths) or REAVERS.
And carriers always work too, lulz

Last edited by hi19hi19; 07-24-2008 at 01:21 AM..
Old 07-24-2008, 02:08 AM   #47
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien

Don't forget templar. Psionic Storm rapes tanks like no tomorrow.
Relambrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:52 AM   #48
Xception704
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
SC2 and World of Starcraft and any other random crap that you might dream up of might all go the way of Starcraft: Ghost, but the original Brood War will always remain an amazing game.

1. Mass scouts is usually NOT a serious tactic. I mean yeah it works in theory, but scouts cost sooo much and take forever to build
2. Stasis/Recall is always good against everything lol, not just tanks

The best way to break a Terran tank contain/slow push as P is zealot bombs, and lots of speedlots to draw fire. Then, ranged goons (more of these if they're pestering you with wraiths) or REAVERS.
And carriers always work too, lulz
Well he's talking in terms of money maps ... meaning cost won't really be an issue.

I've never gone scouts ... but I've seen them be very effective.

Also, usually having high templar there to storm the tanks is a good idea as well. Be sure to storm the rear tanks though.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:54 AM   #49
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

wut..
Old 07-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #50
zhul4nder
FFR Player

thanks for your advices . @ hi19hi19 , man-crush or just a bit more than that, at least you give good advice. the problem that I have is not able to build very fast, gateway, teching and so forth. are there any tips for that? Also, when the enemy attacks me, i usually can defend a wave or two, but then i get into disarray and dazed; in other words i'm lost after my first rush because...i suppose i just forget what i'm supposed to do.

btw. What's the proxy build? the standard build?

[url=http://www.narutoflow.com/character-quiz/]Take the Naruto Character

for brawlers: 2836-1905-4019
I don't know how well it'll work, but give me a add , or pm me so i can add you.
zhul4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:46 AM   #51
Xception704
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Proxy builds are usually considered "cheeses" or "all-ins."

A proxy build involves building your military buildings (i.e. barracks/factory/gateway/hatchery) away from your main base and closer to your opponents base.

The benefits of using a proxy build are to catch your opponent off-guard (he won't expect you to be able to reinforce your rush so quickly) and of course to shorten the resupply route.

To make it clearer ... in Starcraft, the defender almost always has an advantage over the attacker - that advantage being that the defender can reinforce his defenses much faster than the attacker can, seeing as how the attacker has to send his units from a different part of the map.

The downside of using a proxy build is that if you fail in doing significant damage and the rush fails, you'll lose whatever buildings you proxied or you'll lose building time (terran), which leaves your main base pretty vulnerable to counter-attack.

So there are risk-reward factors involved in proxying.

Imo, cheesing is damn fun ... I can play a standard game, but I love microing ... and early-game rushes are SO micro-intensive.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #52
Relambrien
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhul4nder View Post
thanks for your advices . @ hi19hi19 , man-crush or just a bit more than that, at least you give good advice. the problem that I have is not able to build very fast, gateway, teching and so forth. are there any tips for that? Also, when the enemy attacks me, i usually can defend a wave or two, but then i get into disarray and dazed; in other words i'm lost after my first rush because...i suppose i just forget what i'm supposed to do.

btw. What's the proxy build? the standard build?
Based on what you said, your problem is essentially "macro," the ability to create units, manage upgrades, build appropriate facilities, and expand throughout the game. It takes its name from "macromanagement," meaning management of things on a large scale.

Some general tips for improving macro:

1) Hotkey everything. In early game, hotkey your two or three first gateways to something like 4, 5, and 6 so that even while you're attacking, you can go 4d5d6d to create another wave of dragoons without even switching the view back to your base. In addition, you can use the F-hotkeys to quickly swap back to a specific point of the map, so you can hotkey the unit production area of your main, F2, then click-d-click-z everything, before double-pressing the hotkey for your army to switch back to them.

In general, here's what you want to keep in separate hotkeys:

1) Dragoons
2) Zealots
3) Templar
4) Observers
5) Shuttle
6) Gateways
7) Each nexus (for probe production, once an expo is mined out, swap the hotkey for another, mining base)

Of course, this means you have to make some decisions on what you want to keep hotkeyed. If you're confident in your ability to pick out a single unit from a crowd, then you can hotkey a couple templar in with your zealots and goons then click them for storm. If you're not using a shuttle for drops, but keeping it with your army, you may not have to hotkey it, etc.

2) Associate your base with macro. What I mean by this is, every time you swap back to your base, the first thought in your mind should be "macro." Just like how when people think "McDonald's" they think "unhealthy," and when they think "Synthlight" or "Reach" they think "sexy." A lot of this comes from practice and just constantly thinking "macro, macro, macro" throughout the entire game, but consciously thinking or stating aloud "I need to macro whenever I come back to my base" repeatedly can help drill it into your unconscious as well.

3) Keep up pylon production. Two zealots + probes takes up the entire time a pylon is warping in, so that by the time it finishes, you need another one. This and worker production should be the two things you're doing the entire game (until it goes to late game and you're at 200/200 with more probes than Bill Clinton has mistresses and you have so many pylons that you can build wherever you damn well please).

4) Macro > Micro. At our levels, macro wins games. Unless there's a rush going on, in which micro is the deciding factor, we don't have anywhere near good enough micro to overcome a significant macro disadvantage. When a battle starts up, get your units in something resembling a concave (basically an arc facing towards the enemy army) and get back to your base to macro. It should only take you a few seconds to build your next units, so then you can swap back real quick and use whatever micro you have to sustain your army as long as possible, and retreat if necessary.

I think that should do it. Anyway, that's just stuff I've learned from my experiences, so other input would definitely help create a more well-rounded "strategy."
Old 07-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #53
Sinoya
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

i'm on the hamachi but i'm not sure if i set it up properly. do we play games via UDP on the multiplayer screen?
Sinoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:38 PM   #54
Relambrien
FFR Player

It's via UDP. Go to Multiplayer, then UDP, and if anyone has a game up, you'll see it. It'll be on LAN latency by default since the computer thinks you're on a LAN with the person playing.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #55
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relambrien View Post
What dev meant is that in terms of style, they're similar, but yellow is infinitely better at it. Hence, the 5 minutes vs. 12 minutes thing. At least, that's what I'm assuming. Sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth, dev.
Relambrien wins again. We do the same process in roughly the same order, he is just dramatically more efficient and skilled while doing so. (I'd say taking over double the time to do the same things is pretty accurate to the gap between a mostly casual player and a pro player.)
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:17 AM   #56
l2awr
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to l2awr Send a message via MSN to l2awr Send a message via Yahoo to l2awr

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Relambrien wins again. We do the same process in roughly the same order, he is just dramatically more efficient and skilled while doing so. (I'd say taking over double the time to do the same things is pretty accurate to the gap between a mostly casual player and a pro player.)
Same build order? Build orders change every game based on situations. Thats the difference between you and yellow. You probably do the same BO every game. BO's are the same(based on opponents race) until their opponent is scouted.

Last edited by l2awr; 07-25-2008 at 02:20 AM..
l2awr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #57
Wineandbread
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Has anyone even played anyone else yet? We could try and get a ranking system of our own of something. =P

Why are we talking about build order? xD
Btw, l2awr is right. If you're playing someone at least half decent, you need to adapt to their situation. That's why scouting in the early game and keeping your worker alive is so important in the big leagues. If you don't know what they're going to do, you're most likely screwed. That's why I'm not very good at this game: my build order changes very rarely regardless of what I see.
We climb up a lot of ladders, and fall down a lot of chutes.

Taking "all" oddjobs! PM me requests. Requests filled: 2 last active Mar. 6th, 2017

Keep it real pls. Will deny requests I cannot manage.

Wineandbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #58
Xception704
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wineandbread View Post
Has anyone even played anyone else yet? We could try and get a ranking system of our own of something. =P

Why are we talking about build order? xD
Btw, l2awr is right. If you're playing someone at least half decent, you need to adapt to their situation. That's why scouting in the early game and keeping your worker alive is so important in the big leagues. If you don't know what they're going to do, you're most likely screwed. That's why I'm not very good at this game: my build order changes very rarely regardless of what I see.
I think you can create your own ladder on iCCup ... that's what TeamLiquid did for the TSL anyway.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:36 PM   #59
hi19hi19
lol happy

Um, I thought that required having inside connections with the ICCUP folks. Besides, an FFR ladder with like half a dozen people. Whee.

P.S. Relmabrien should commentate or teach at a Korean starcraft camp or something. That was an A+ dissertation on basic macro/micro balance. Nice.

P.P.S. MSL finals whoo. Jaedong winrar

Last edited by hi19hi19; 07-25-2008 at 11:40 PM..
Old 07-26-2008, 12:31 AM   #60
Xception704
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I didn't check, but that makes sense.

Scratch that then. =\