Old 12-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
drakethelegend
FFR Player

Default a couple ?'s...

Okay so I'm pretty new at this game but I am already like insanely addicted. Lol. But I have a few questions for yall "good" people?

1. Lately I've been playing and I'm getting a lot better, but sometimes it's really hard when the screen has like a billion arrows all over the place? And I can't see them? How do I get better? Do I just keep practicing or practice easier ones?

2. Is it bad if I fail on purpose? Like on a song? Like sometimes I get mad that I don't do it perfect so I just type random arrows, does that ruin my "overall ranking"? And if so is there a way to pause a song?

3. Sometimes after I play for a while (i play spread) my hand will hurt, am I positioning my wrists wrong? I am just laying them down on a table but does anybody else feel sore after a while like in the top of your hand? Or will that go away once I get better?

Thank you VERY much I love all of you for helping me

(Oh also I think I am posting this in the noob section but im not sure if i am? I am not used to forums so I apologize if this is in any other section...)
Old 12-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Gun92
The Paragon of Perfection
FFR Veteran

Default Re: a couple ?'s...

1)It takes practice...thats all there is to it really, the more you play, the better you can read the arrows.

2)Its not bad to fail on purpose, the only thing its really going to do is add 1 song played to your total, and no, you can not pause a song.

3)I play spread too, but once you start playing for awhile, you get used to it and they don't hurt nearly as bad, just pace yourself at first and your going do fine.

Hope it helped and welcome and keep having fun
Gun92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
emerald000
the Mathemagician~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to emerald000

1- Try using speed mods. There will be less arrows at the same time on the screen and it will be easier to hit them. It might be hard at the start, but really helps on your scores. Trust me.

2- Depends on what is "bad" for you. It won't affect any rank of yours, but maybe what was going to be a good score will be destroyed. You are better off getting to the end of the song or using auto-fail if you want a certain achievement.

3- Personally, I play spread but I always have my wrists raised. That's how I'm the most comfortable. Also, with more practice your wrists will get used to it and the pain should diminish.

By the way: Welcome to FFR!
emerald000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
revolutionomega
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to revolutionomega Send a message via MSN to revolutionomega

BAsically what they said. I've been playing ffr for almost 2 years now and I started out before speed mods came into play. Likelihood is that you'll improve with practice and that just takes time and patience. Quitting/booingout isn't necessarily a bad thing b/c I do it all the time, but I'm just too lazy to finish the song once I mess up.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

i'd recommend keeping your wrists raised, as opposed to on the table... there is less strain on them when they are above your fingers instead of below.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
Gun92
The Paragon of Perfection
FFR Veteran

I tried with my wrists raised...that just felt weird, so I guess its a preference sorta thing.
Gun92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #7
gabgabo
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to gabgabo

Welcome to FFR and I feel you already tasted a bit of the FFR addictingness.
gabgabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
FallenXxRaven
FFR Player

Don't worry, it takes a while to get better. ive been playing for maybe 8 months and im still not that good. For about 3 months Dance 1 kicked my ass, and slowly i worked up to being able to almost full combo most difficult to very difficult songs. Just keep practicing. And about your wrist, it will probably hurt for a while, but youll get used to it.
Chris Huntress 1:37 pm
I aaa'd vROFL
without any lube
FallenXxRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:58 PM   #9
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Location: My own world. Miserable. Disgusting. Appalling. Pessimistic. Horrific. Terrible.
Send a message via AIM to Xx{Midday}xX Send a message via MSN to Xx{Midday}xX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasselfoot View Post
i'd recommend keeping your wrists raised, as opposed to on the table... there is less strain on them when they are above your fingers instead of below.
Instead of raising my wrists, I lower my elbows about 3 inches from the keyboard and keep them on a ledge. My hands stay at chest height, and my elbows make a 92 degree angle. I can play ffr for 24hrs straight in this position. I also use a speedmod of 1.5x. You can see arrows clearly (excluding 2 framers), but they don't drop too fast. Booing out isn't a problem, but it will probably save a lot of points (accumulatively) if you use the autofail function.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)
Xx{Midday}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:49 AM   #10
skishmonkey72
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to skishmonkey72

Gun92 and emerald000 pretty much summed it up. I do have a thing or two to add though:

1) As for which songs to practice, I'd say practice two difficulties of songs more than others if you want to improve. The first is the songs you can combo sections of it, but you mess up in certain parts. Practice until you can combo larger sections of it, and eventually the whole thing. The second difficulty you should practice are the songs that are harder for you, so you can combo smaller sections (between 20 and 50 or so) but you lose your combo many times throughout the songs. Practice those songs until the patterns make sense and you can combo larger sections of the song.

2) It's fine to fail a song on purpose, it won't lower any of your ranks, as the game uses your highest scores for your average rank, and overall rank always goes up, never down (with a few exceptional cases, such as not hitting any arrows in a song). Just only do it when you're doing worse on it than you normally do. Never do it when you're doing better than you've done it before. Let how well you're doing determine whether you purposely fail a song, rather than how angry you get. If you do it every time you get angry, it'll become a habit and it'll make it about 50 times harder to improve your high scores. It took me about 4 months to kick that habit.

3) Play with your wrists raised. Raising your wrists lessens the bend in them, which reduces the risk of RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury) and CTS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome). Playing with your wrists bent too much narrows the carpal tunnel, which compresses the medial nerve in your wrist, which is what causes CTS. The fact that you are moving your fingers accelerates the development of CTS with improperly placed wrists. I place importance on this because I once had CTS from playing 100, 000+ arrows per day while playing with my keyboard on my lap, bending my wrists 30 degrees while playing intense, fast songs one-handed. I couldn't play for about two weeks. So yeah, a tired, sore feeling is okay and normal, it means your muscles are tired, and they need to develop more endurance. But if they burn or hurt and you suddenly have a hard time moving your fingers fast, you may have injured your wrist and/or hand. It's a good thing you play spread, lessens the risk of CTS in most cases, your middle finger isn't thrashing like crazy as in one-handed play.

Wow, that was long-winded. Hopefully it was all helpful too.