Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk > Bug Reports and Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-5-2011, 01:18 PM   #641
~Zeta~
Flag Master
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
You're alterating the difficulty of the charts if you allow yourself to miss in songs to have better pa. It's like I played Magical 8bit Tour and missed the transitions on the 32nd trills to get 8-2-10-8 instead of 30-12-0-30. The reason imo why 13-1-3-4 would be worse than 134-34-0-325 is because missing is like a major blunder/being greedy on pa and mashing is like understanding that you can't do X part and trying to compensate by showing at least the speed with a pa penalty. If you can 13-1-3-4 something, you can definitely get like 18-3-0-16 and work from there. I think that boos could have a bigger penalty on songs rather than taking out the combo-scoring. It could affect the score in an exponential way when you start having too many of them.

tldr; Where's the "skill" in missing?
Or you're missing because you can't hit all of the notes. You're saying aimlessly mashing is ok. Which again, goes back to how is that a skill and why is it higher ranked than a person with the skill for better accuracy?

Basically what Dossar said.
Old 04-5-2011, 01:41 PM   #642
Plan_Bsk81127
snooches
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Plan_Bsk81127 Send a message via Skype™ to Plan_Bsk81127

mashing =/= playing
Plan_Bsk81127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2011, 02:16 PM   #643
emulord
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
You're alterating the difficulty of the charts if you allow yourself to miss in songs to have better pa. It's like I played Magical 8bit Tour and missed the transitions on the 32nd trills to get 8-2-10-8 instead of 30-12-0-30. The reason imo why 13-1-3-4 would be worse than 134-34-0-325 is because missing is like a major blunder/being greedy on pa and mashing is like understanding that you can't do X part and trying to compensate by showing at least the speed with a pa penalty. If you can 13-1-3-4 something, you can definitely get like 18-3-0-16 and work from there. I think that boos could have a bigger penalty on songs rather than taking out the combo-scoring. It could affect the score in an exponential way when you start having too many of them.

This. Mashing is still somewhat difficult to do some patterns (runningmen, trills, jacks). It tends to be the intermediate players who mash so they have a placeholder score on some songs, then go back and fix it.
You still get to get the satisfaction of FCing even though you mash over the parts you cant do.

Pros are gonna have better PA FCs, so whats the problem?

In fact, a major problem is "Good accuracy almost FC's" beating mashed scores. This causes people to lose FCs since the scoreboard only keeps best score. It makes me paranoid and start mashing towards the end of a song to ensure I get a FC.

Last edited by emulord; 04-5-2011 at 02:18 PM..
emulord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2011, 02:33 PM   #644
~Zeta~
Flag Master

You missed the points completely. Mashing is mindless. Completely mindless. People see a pattern or wall of arrows and just mash because they don't know how to hit it or can't hit it. It's pretty stupid they get better ranks because they averaged/good/boo rushed all the hard patterns where a top tier player can hit all or most of it.

Getting rid of combo based scoring divides pros and joes. If joes can't play like pros, they shouldn't get the recognition as pros. It forces them to try and DO the files.

Let's go back to Dossar's analogy:

Person plays one minute waltz. He blindly mashes the tough, awkward fingering patterns but hits every note in the song with a considerable amount of other notes.

Another person plays it much nicer and cleaner but misses a few notes here and there.

Which sounds better?
Old 04-5-2011, 02:40 PM   #645
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

It's this simple:

If you miss you acknowledge that you are unable to hit certain parts but you still hit the all the notes that you know you are able of hitting.
That is acceptance of one's inability to hit said notes. That is skill.

Now, mashing is randomly spazzing your fingers to have a chance to hit all the arrows possible. This is like tossing a dice. That is called luck.
Coolboyrulez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2011, 02:46 PM   #646
emulord
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

FFR =!= Piano
Its all about speed here and if you cant PA, you should be able to keep up with the song.
If you mash, you admit you can't PA that part of the song.
Plus, mashing is fun
emulord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2011, 02:47 PM   #647
Plan_Bsk81127
snooches

Send a message via AIM to Plan_Bsk81127 Send a message via Skype™ to Plan_Bsk81127

Mashing is taking advantage of a shitty game just to get you a good rank and make you look good when you really arent.

Dont see why people even bother playing if they are just going to mash, completely takes out the purpose of playing the game in the first place.

Then again its FFR, game full of failures who have to mash to make them feel good.

Just to add to the whole "mashing to a certain section of a song to maintain combo", you can do this but it surely doesnt result in 100-200+ boo scores on most songs outside of like DP and RATO. If you exceed that limit you are basically mashing the whole song just to get the better rank.

Last edited by Plan_Bsk81127; 04-5-2011 at 02:51 PM..
Old 04-5-2011, 02:53 PM   #648
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan_Bsk81127 View Post
Mashing is taking advantage of a shitty game just to get you a good rank and make you look good when you really arent.

Dont see why people even bother playing if they are just going to mash, completely takes out the purpose of playing the game in the first place.

Then again its FFR, game full of failures who have to mash to make them feel good.
I find your statement very offensive. You do realize that FFR isn't just a place for pros to hang out and play all the hard songs, and get non-mashed scores. some people find mashing enjoyable, and seriously, let them mash. Remember. It's a GAME. the scoring system can change to prevent mashing from being a high score obtainer (i'm all for it), but saying that FFR is "full of failures who have to mash to make them feel good" is really going too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2011, 02:59 PM   #649
Plan_Bsk81127
snooches

lol, like I care that you are offended. How does anyone find this game fun if you arent going to even play it properly.....
Old 04-5-2011, 03:02 PM   #650
YoshL
Celestial Harbor

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

Quote:
lol, like I care that you are offended. How does anyone find this game fun if you arent going to even play it properly.....
i think you're failing to realize that:

some people aren't that good at ffr.

Quote:
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
Old 04-5-2011, 03:05 PM   #651
Plan_Bsk81127
snooches

More like people are too impatient to get good so they just dont bother trying and just mash through it.
Old 04-5-2011, 03:15 PM   #652
YoshL
Celestial Harbor

Quote:
More like people are too impatient to get good so they just dont bother trying and just mash through it.
lol, not much point arguing, when you aren't trying to view the whole picture.

Quote:
Old 04-5-2011, 03:18 PM   #653
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Return the mute button.

Please oh god please.
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2011, 03:28 PM   #654
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

The game lost it's fun factor with too much competition. Wish this could be remedied with a suggestion.
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2011, 03:42 PM   #655
foxfire667
The FFRchiver
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
idr who suggested it, but they proposed that all the FC/AAA scores would stay the same if
perfect: 1550
good: 1275
avg: 1055
boo: -20
miss: -310
combo: 0
I would really enjoy seeing combo based scoring to finally be removed, and to be replaced with PA based scoring. I understand why people might mash songs (as they have no idea how to read patterns of a certain speed due to their skill level) but as you go on in the game you find that if you get a miss, your score is worthless at that point, and gets killed in the ranks. I mean as a good example, RATO and DP, I usually can get alright pa's on those songs with a few misses, OR I can lazily mash an fc and pull a rank in the 20's-30's no problem. A lot of the time it comes down to why work on figuring out something, when you can just mash the hell out of it and get a much better rank?

Plus it would get people striving to do as good on a song as possible, compared to getting the highest combo possible. This would also give Multiplayer a little more leveling out, so that people can't mash fgo's like crazy and take away other people's level because of a miss or two. I see it all the time, people literally getting hundreds of goods more than the other person, but through the miracle of Mash Mash Revolution, they win the match...by a LOT of points.
Old 04-5-2011, 03:55 PM   #656
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
RRR Developer & DevOps Support
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Veteran

Game is fun regardless of what score you get, or how much you mash.

The point of the game is to play through, listen to the kick ass music, and hit as many arrows as you can.

I would like to see combo mean less, just as a "I got X combo yay" but really I cbf to care.
Old 04-5-2011, 04:34 PM   #657
Ninty64
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I have no clue where you get the idea that the opposite of mashing is missing. That's completely untrue. The opposite of mashing is trying to do the pattern as it was intended. Missing is oftentimes a consequence of that.

Furthermore, I'd never say that mashing is "understanding that you can't do X part and trying to compensate." I'd equate it with something like "not believing you can do X part so giving up without even trying." If you want to do that, fine; however, I don't believe you should be rewarded for it.
Ninty64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2011, 04:51 PM   #658
MCSm0ke
FFR Player

Difficulty variety. There's good songs in there but for some even mashing is too slow.
MCSm0ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2011, 05:44 PM   #659
~Zeta~
Flag Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by emulord View Post
FFR =!= Piano
Its all about speed here and if you cant PA, you should be able to keep up with the song.
Plus, mashing is fun
The piano reference is an analogy, durr.

If I have to explain it....

How it sounds is the PA.
Mashing the piano = mashing the keyboard and bad PA.
Playing it better but not hitting every note in the song = Playing it better but not hitting every note in the song.

Think about it.

If you don't have the speed, practice. Mashing definitely doesn't help rofl.
Btw,

Quote:
No dip. Yet you should be rewarded with a better rank? Bullshit.

Quote:
Plus, mashing is fun
Opinionated.
Old 04-5-2011, 05:48 PM   #660
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I think what emulord was referring to when saying "FFR =/= piano" had nothing to do with a literal comparison, but rather a comparison on style. He's saying that FFR isn't necessarily a game you play elegantly (or even so far as to say "correctly") in order to get the most out of it, unlike a piano. It's more or less a casual view that reflects the fact that you don't need to do everything "technically correct" in order to enjoy the game. However, you're arguing the opposite, stating that by not calibrating the game to judge correct playing, you get less enjoyment out of it. What opinion you take is partially based on how much you care about skill, scores, and your own playing. If you care more about scores for instance, clearly you'd want the game to judge your scoring on a more precise basis.

Hope that's a clearer explanation.

Last edited by bmah; 04-5-2011 at 05:52 PM..
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote