Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-6-2005, 03:47 PM   #41
Kenzya
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kenzya

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshox
Well well, Nintendo's been quite a busy little bee lately. This should look REALLY interesting.
They've been just as busy as Sony has, and Microsoft's console division is only a little behind. (just not making a handheld console)

But of course, all new gaming systems look REALLY interesting. We're all game geeks here, we all get off on new system announcements.
Kenzya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2005, 08:28 AM   #42
StarOceanFanboy
FFR Player

I agree with vash on this. There's no way we could know what the Revolution's going to be like, and I doubt what Sniper said is true(no offense to you). I just pray that it'll kick Sony's and Microsoft's @sses.

PS: Roy=Best SSBM character ever
Fire Emblem=Best GBA game ever
StarOceanFanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2005, 12:28 AM   #43
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer

ZOMG I just love how everyone sees a couple of clips showing the PSP's minor flaws and everyone goes nuts. Sonyy's President in Japan said it best," If you want to play with Pikachu, Get the DS. If you want to play Gran Turismo 4, get the PSP." From what I've seen, the DS has a pretty good lead on the PSP due to the huge gap in release time. But I want to clear up a couple of facts.

1. The reason the PSP's battery life is minumum compared to the DS's is due to the interactive battery system with the games. For example, say you are playing GT4. The battery will last you from 3-5 hours. But say you play a puzzle game like Super Puzzle Fighter, the battery will be able to extend the life up to 4-6 hours.

2. The intended list of games for the PSP is way beyond that of the DS's. I do not have to list at the moment but as soon as I have it, I will post it. To go with that statement, did any of you know that the PSP, American or Japanese, will be able to play both Regional Format discs? In other words, an American PSP can play a Japanese PSP game and vice versa. Can the DS do that? Not that I've heard of.

3. Look at the DS. No, seriously take a look at it. What age demographic would this be more suitable for? The younger set of course. Now statistically, children make up 3.2 billion of the world's population. Now considering that we are talking from 7-12, parents will buy anything that is sold by a family-friendly company such as Nintendo. The PsP is more of, let's say a digital "Walkman." It is more intended for the 18+ group set. So basically, if you want to say what system will parents buy for thier kids, of course it would be the DS. It has frickin Mario 64 for Godsake.

4. Oh and about the whole DS beat out the sales for PSP bull, listen to this: it literally took a week(7 days) for Nintendo to beat what the PSP sold in one day. Don't believe me? Look at this.

intendo's DS handheld outsold Sony's PSP in Japan for the week of December 6 through December 12, according to the latest figures from market research firm Media Create. In those seven days, Nintendo sold 198,892 units of DS hardware by Media Create's reckoning, compared to 160,019 PSPs, although the PSP was only available for sale on one of those seven days.

That was from an actual worldwide news source.

5. I understand that Nintendo has been making handheld systems for years, but from what I have seen the PSP actually do in action, the DS leaves me unimpressed.
Old 01-8-2005, 01:03 PM   #44
Musical_Master
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Musical_Master

Quote:
To go with that statement, did any of you know that the PSP, American or Japanese, will be able to play both Regional Format discs? In other words, an American PSP can play a Japanese PSP game and vice versa. Can the DS do that? Not that I've heard of.
The DS isn't region-locking. IAMTHEEVILBEAN imported One Line Puzzle, a puzzle game, from Japan. Also, some people have imported Touch: Made in Wario from Japan and it worked fine on American DS'.

Quote:
3. Look at the DS. No, seriously take a look at it. What age demographic would this be more suitable for? The younger set of course. Now statistically, children make up 3.2 billion of the world's population. Now considering that we are talking from 7-12, parents will buy anything that is sold by a family-friendly company such as Nintendo. The PsP is more of, let's say a digital "Walkman." It is more intended for the 18+ group set. So basically, if you want to say what system will parents buy for thier kids, of course it would be the DS. It has frickin Mario 64 for Godsake.
Nintendo is currently making a device that allows the DS to play Mp3's and movies. Plus, due to the fact that the DS is smaller and more portable than the PSP, the DS would make a better "walkman"

The DS came with a demo of Metroid Prime: Hunters, a FPS, and that isn't aimed at attracting 7 year olds. Just because a game doesn't have shooting and blood doesn't make it a "kiddie" game. Mario 64 wasn't "kiddie" at all.
Old 01-8-2005, 01:12 PM   #45
vashthestampede0987
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to vashthestampede0987

MM is completely right. Everyone views anything Nintendo makes kid like. Honestly, the make both kid suited games and mature games. Older people have given nintendo systems a bad reputation because they are used to playing the younger kiddie games as children so there for who ever thinks nintendo sucks can go blow a 50000volt wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
I hate myself.

Cheers,

Synthlight
xxpla tonic love: GIVE IT TO ME
xxpla tonic love: ****ing give it to me
vashthestampede0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2005, 06:32 PM   #46
suicidalmuskrat
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via MSN to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to suicidalmuskrat

first, vash is right...just go read ign's review of RE4, and how it's the best survival horror game ever, as well as one of the scariest, and tell me the GC is exclusively for kids....but anyways, enough about the DS and PSP, or nintendo vs sony, since that's not what this topic is about...it's about the revolution.

to be honest, i'd be disappointed if they went with some gyroscopic thing, just b/c i think it'll end up being too novel...it could be a great idea, but too many people will be scared off, as well as most gamers are extremely lazy, and won't want to move if that's what it comes down to....

there have been hints though, that the revolution will be online immediately, and that it can display the picture on a monitor rather than a TV...anyone else thinking what i'm thinking? some sort of plan where you can play games through your monitor, and through your current conection? maybe incorporating such things as mics and webcams and keyboards to help revolutionize the online aspect, but keeping the console and (hopefully) a regular controller to keep that classic nintendo gameplay....i think it'd be brilliant...no extra costs (which seems to go with nintendo's "simple and cheap" philosophy, as well as a focus on community)....this is just my guess, but i happen to think it's a phenomenal idea.
Old 01-8-2005, 08:14 PM   #47
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

1) Chromer, if you haven't noticed, things have been that way since...1985. Yea.

Tape players use more power if you want more volume, right? If the game requires more processing power...it needs more power. Wow.

3) People need to get off the "Nintendo = Kiddie" drug. RIGHT NOW. Where did this notion come from, anyway? It's not like PSP is going to be releasing solely racing games where you can kill people, or fighting games where you can kill people, or shooting games where you can kill people. It's ALSO not like the DS is going to refrain from having those types of games either. Your logic is skewed on this and I recommend you research things before posting, OK?

5) Ok, so wireless communication, wireless gaming, a touch screen on a dual-screen setup, and graphics synonymous to the Nintendo 64, or what's better, the Dreamcast, do nothing for you, but a smaller widescreen ratio on a console where the screen will be scratched in a day with hardly any decent titles known thus far peaks your interest? Please explain.

Personally, I'd get a DS solely for the Wario Ware and the Tales game that comes out for it, as well as Shonen Jump All-Stars. However, I am a poor college boy.

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2005, 09:22 PM   #48
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909

IMO, I do know this. The DS's launch lineup blew. And there are very few games in the future, short of Castlevania, Wario Ware and a copule others, that intrest me at all. The PSP's lineup is looking a lot stronger, and it hasn't even been released. Nintendo better get their third-party game together.
Anticrombie0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2005, 01:35 AM   #49
SpookG
(For Great Justice!)
Retired StaffFFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to SpookG

Squeek, Nintendo is considered a kiddie system because they announced several years ago they were not going the path of gore and bloodbaths for their games, focusing more on a family friendly enviroment. While the majority of their games follow that, it is beginning to branch out more towards an older audience, so the trend you are noticing is a fairly recent one. I think the cube has always been a party system, where the games are just fun. Like RibbitKing. That and alcohol is all I have to say..

Anti. PSP is out in japan already, they didn't do a worldwide release all at once like the DS. The DS is awesome. Using the stylus to move the crosshair in metroid prime was just too cool. It will be a bit I think before they have more games taking full advantage of the options presented to them, so yeah, the games they have are a bit whatever at the moment, but the new features it offers more than makes up for it.

And about Nintendo being behind, give me a break. It created the legend of zelda, the most important video game ever made. They are the kings of consoles, sony and microsoft don't really have shit on them. Maybe with the new PS system and X-box 2 they could finally step towards Nintendo.

Royal For Great Justice! Electronic Music est. 1999
kerBLAM

SpookG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2005, 01:54 AM   #50
Kenzya
FFR Player

This thread makes me laugh.
Old 01-9-2005, 10:05 AM   #51
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Quote:
Using the stylus to move the crosshair in metroid prime was just too cool. It will be a bit I think before they have more games taking full advantage of the options presented to them, so yeah, the games they have are a bit whatever at the moment, but the new features it offers more than makes up for it.
Uh hey the stylus is an awful control scheme for first person shooters.

No really. It really, really is.

The DS has awful control. Every game I've played (Mario, Metroid, RR) has had shitty, loose, twitchy controls. They better fix that, honestly. That's the main thing that stopped me from buying one, more than anything else (added to the lack of games that intrest me whatsoever).
Old 01-9-2005, 10:22 AM   #52
suicidalmuskrat
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via MSN to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to suicidalmuskrat

this topic should be locked...or maybe just move it into one of the other 600 "OMG TEH DS WILL OWN THE PSP (Playstation Sucks Penis ROFLOLMAO)"...can we try to stay on topic? i really want to hear what rumors other people have heard about the revolution, or ideas you hope to see in Nintendo's next-gen console...ANYTHING besides another one of these stupid DS vs PSP debates
Old 01-9-2005, 10:36 AM   #53
Musical_Master
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticrombie0909
Quote:
Using the stylus to move the crosshair in metroid prime was just too cool. It will be a bit I think before they have more games taking full advantage of the options presented to them, so yeah, the games they have are a bit whatever at the moment, but the new features it offers more than makes up for it.
Uh hey the stylus is an awful control scheme for first person shooters.

No really. It really, really is.

The DS has awful control. Every game I've played (Mario, Metroid, RR) has had shitty, loose, twitchy controls. They better fix that, honestly. That's the main thing that stopped me from buying one, more than anything else (added to the lack of games that intrest me whatsoever).
Do you have a DS? No. All you have played are the demo kiosks. I have a DS and I admit it is really hard to control using the stylus standing up and looking down. It is so much better when you have the DS in your lap and you are using the thumbstap.

The thumbstrap gives the feel of using an analog controller. It works pretty good to. You have to get used to it, though.

Plus, if you don't like using the touch screen, each game has at least 3 different control methods you can use. I know Metroid has 6 different control schemes, RR has 3, and Mario has 3.
Old 01-9-2005, 01:37 PM   #54
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Quote:
Plus, if you don't like using the touch screen, each game has at least 3 different control methods you can use.
...and all of them suck. I'm not alone on this, guys. Almost every publication I've read on DS games has mentioned some sort of control issue. The control sucks. Give it up, admit it already.
Old 01-9-2005, 02:35 PM   #55
Musical_Master
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticrombie0909
Quote:
Plus, if you don't like using the touch screen, each game has at least 3 different control methods you can use.
...and all of them suck. I'm not alone on this, guys. Almost every publication I've read on DS games has mentioned some sort of control issue. The control sucks. Give it up, admit it already.
Then you must read a bunch of biased messed up publications. The control system might not be perfect, but it's not unbearable.

I haven't had a problem with the control system in any of the games that I have. It takes some getting used to in Mario, but Metroid, Mr. Driller, and Ridge Racer are all fine.
Old 01-9-2005, 02:54 PM   #56
Kenzya
FFR Player

What are you talking about? Most people have trouble with the control scheme in Metroid. That's where most of the "control sucks" talk is coming from. It's the reason why I said the controls suck.

But seriously, shut the fuck up. If you enjoy the system then why should you care if someone else doesn't like the controls? Same goes for this DS vs. PSP bullshit.

I'd also like to state that neither the DS nor the PSP is innovative. Whether or not the games for the systems are innovative should be the argument. I don't care how sleek or how many hours, I care about how fun.

Back to reality though. Can we get someone to lock this topic?
Old 01-9-2005, 04:34 PM   #57
Musical_Master
FFR Player

One more comment then I will shut up.

Quote:
What are you talking about? Most people have trouble with the control scheme in Metroid. That's where most of the "control sucks" talk is coming from. It's the reason why I said the controls suck.
Well, I am quite happy with the controls, and I guess that is all that really matters.

Quote:
I'd also like to state that neither the DS nor the PSP is innovative. Whether or not the games for the systems are innovative should be the argument. I don't care how sleek or how many hours, I care about how fun.
May I ask, what in the fucking hell do you consider innovative.

If you don't think a touch screen, dual screens, a built in microphone, and N64 graphics on a HANDHELD system is innovative then I don't know what is wrong with you.

Anyway, back on topic, I think this could be a possible revolution controller, or at least similar to this.

http://www.gamestron.com/esp5gl.html
Old 01-9-2005, 05:03 PM   #58
vashthestampede0987
FFR Player

Although it is a computer controller i doubt it will be the Revolution controller. Maybe they will go with something out of the ordinary, because they've gone from rectangles to peanut shapes to triple handle to the dual handled GC controller. Personally i think the revolution will be a see through console or something like that with a cross between the GC controller and the N64 controller.

Quote:
I hate myself.

Cheers,

Synthlight
Old 01-10-2005, 05:36 PM   #59
Kenzya
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musical_Master
May I ask, what in the fucking hell do you consider innovative.

If you don't think a touch screen, dual screens, a built in microphone, and N64 graphics on a HANDHELD system is innovative then I don't know what is wrong with you.

*ahem* We've seen it all before. Handheld computers have touch screens and microphones. It's also not the first anything to have two screens. The inicrease in graphics CANNOT be considered innovative because graphics are assumed to get better through the years.

AND, you can do jack shit with just the system. IT'S THE GAMES THAT MAKE THE SYSTEM.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:56 AM   #60
vashthestampede0987
FFR Player

Kenzya..this isnt a fucking flame war over the PSP or the DS or how good they are its about the FUCKING NINTENDO REVOLUTION now can we please discuss the matter. OH AND IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS IT THEN MAKE A THREAD ABOUT IT. Games for the revolution will probably continues on Mario Party, ZELDA(i hope), Mario Sports games, and the basic games that go for all the systems.

Quote:
I hate myself.

Cheers,

Synthlight