Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-7-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
jvizzlez
King of Terrible Accuracy
FFR Veteran

Unhappy accuracy pls

Sorry if this gets asked a lot, but straight to the point: How do I improve accuracy? Throughout the years of me playing SM and FFR, my accuracy has always been abysmal. It was terrible when I first started playing, and as I improved my speed time and time again, my accuracy still remained equally as bad.

I've set entire months to do nothing but j7 practice on SM, which has helped my SM accuracy a little bit but not that much tbh... I do realize the importance of listening to the songs and feeling the rhythm now, but that doesn't really help me even now. Whenever I play a song that I can consistently AA, I always get guaranteed 1 good (on FFR)/1 great (on SM) for every 10 or so perfects. I can't even really fathom trying to AAAA anything, even of the easiest caliber.

As I'm now trying to get back into FFR, accuracy is very important to me, and I want to do anything I can to improve it, but I don't really know what to do. Some things, like my computer lagging even while playing the standalone, are unavoidable, but I know that even with no lag whatsoever my accuracy is still garbage.

Here's an example of one of my prouder scores. I was having a really good day and got an amazing (for me) 95.5% of Reyvateil's curse on the FFRMania engine. I've since then gotten a solid 93.5% on SM, but that's besides the point.

I did not mindblock ANYWHERE on this file. It all just flowed seamlessly from one section to the next, and I felt comfortable the entire time. I barely lost stamina except for the last section, and yet my accuracy was still the same predictable ~10 perfects/1 good.

One of my proudest accuracy achievements was achieved about a year or two ago, on an exceptionally easy file. Even then, my accuracy was still a terrible ~900 MAs, ~600 perfects, and 55 greats. It's to the point that I don't even know what I'm doing wrong. Even when I'm playing songs that are like 1-10 in terms of difficulty on FFR, I still get random goods ALL THE TIME. It made me quit FFR a while ago in favor of SM because of how annoying it was (to play a 3 minute song with only 100 notes and to get 4-5 goods nonetheless), but now I want to fix my problem. I've dodged this situation too much and I finally want to get rid of my terrible accuracy. On FFR, should I play with a super high speed mod to get good accuracy? I'm currently playing with 2.5x speed, which is still a bit slow for me (I play with C900-950 on SM). What about offset settings? Could it just be the game/my computer that's been messing me up all these years?

help would be greatly appreciated, I can't AAA literally anything on FFR atm

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nkeyz View Post
This game looks like twitch chat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
according to the 10k rule im a double master in masturbation
jvizzlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2016, 02:14 PM   #2
ShadowDueler97
scarhand pls
FFR Veteran

Default Re: accuracy pls

Well first things first, use the standalone. Never any reason to use browser over it. You can get it here http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=120256. It reduces lag immensely.

FFR accuracy is arbitrary. Flash can lag too much to really be that consistent with accuracy (unless you're OWA lol), you don't get any extra score for it, and the amazing window is much stricter in FFR than the marvelous window in SM. It's really not worth it to stress yourself over FFR accuracy.

You can make sure your offset is set right. That can mess up your timing if your offset is off. I'd avoid playing on J7 since a great on J7 is the same timing as a perfect on J4. That can lead to a bad mindset. J5 is usually better for improving your accuracy. But that does take time, obviously.

ShadowDueler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Just ask for a replay image on the forum thread dedicated to that and see if you hit mostly early or late. If one's very apparent adjust your offset; if it's 50/50, you're either screwed by your lag or you cheat every single cheatable pattern (Such as hitting [12] instead of 12).

PS: A file Doesn't flow super well if you're getting 300+ goods. Maybe you aren't really fast enough for those files and should try to focus on your accuracy with slower consistent files. I say that because many players will say they practiced accuracy and it didn't work, but most of the time it's either bad practice (on files too fast), or not enough practice compared to speed files they play.

Last edited by xXOpkillerXx; 01-7-2016 at 02:22 PM..
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2016, 02:21 PM   #4
Samus Aran
FFR Player

For accuracy I have a few tips
You're going to want to play songs that are a bit easier than you normally would play, focus on songs with a consistent tapping rhythm at first. This will help you with spacing your timing correctly. On stepmania specifically focus most on hitting marvelous on judge 4, just keep it saying marvelous as much as you can, don't worry much about if you miss or if you get perfects or lower just keep listening to your keytaps.
If it helps to kind of hear very good keytaps watch some videos of people AAAA'ing songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2zjy0Ti-nQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqBD56qmQ1k
I recommend playing streamy files from like 2005-2008

after you think you have some good MA try out some more colorful or sporadic files. The key though is practice on some easier songs to better gauge your MA.

Last edited by Samus Aran; 01-7-2016 at 02:31 PM..
Samus Aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I feel your pain,
as i'm trying to get back into ffr and also have abysmal accuracy.
There are times where I can get decent scores but i really have to concentrate and it's completely exhausting.

One thing you should try doing is changing your speed mods/offsets a bit more.
you may think you're comfortable but there may be an even better one for you.
the slightest difference in scroll speed will make a huge difference. (try setting the speed a bit lower, and then work your way up)
On ffr r3 engine, it took me until a month ago to find a decent setting. But legacy is the only engine i can pa well on, so maybe testing out other engines will help too; even though r3 is incredibly beautiful...

bottom line though, to get more aaa's/pa you gotta play charts well under your skill level.
and by that i mean the lowest of the low. free space/excite bike/etc.
and then work your way up.

it took me too many years before i had ever aaa'd anything in my entire rhythm gaming history. and it was like 7 seconds long.
I remember when i edited a chart on sm to only have 4 notes, and when i AAAA'd it i felt great and proud of myself, seeing that gleaming row of A's just made me happy to understand that achieving these things aren't impossible, and i just need to start a bit further back than i thought.

tl'dr
start from the bottom(very bottom), and work your way up.

my regime for improving acc. was aaa 1-2 easy songs(cause sometimes they take a few tries each) then i go play a chart i like and have fun with that's more my skill level for a little. then repeat. some easy charts might be pretty difficult and if you've tried like 10 times id suggest you go to the next cause mindblocking is a very real thing.
though, everyone learns and improves in different ways, maybe this can give you a starting point.
Goodluck out there.

Last edited by Frank Munoz; 01-7-2016 at 02:55 PM..
Frank Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2016, 02:28 AM   #6
RedSword69
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I don't know about your keyboard, but having recently changed for a DAS keyboard (while starting to play FFR once more), I'd say that having a non-5$ keyboard works extremely well. I previously was using only laptop or 5$ keyboards. I'm doing much, much better with a mechanical (In "easy" songs (let's say ~20-30 and less), I feel & see that'd I'm doing around 2 to 5 time less goods, and average are rare, instead of having them pretty much every song, as I remember my previous FFR runs).

Last edited by RedSword69; 01-9-2016 at 02:30 AM..
RedSword69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2016, 06:12 PM   #7
jvizzlez
King of Terrible Accuracy
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSword69 View Post
I don't know about your keyboard, but having recently changed for a DAS keyboard (while starting to play FFR once more), I'd say that having a non-5$ keyboard works extremely well. I previously was using only laptop or 5$ keyboards. I'm doing much, much better with a mechanical (In "easy" songs (let's say ~20-30 and less), I feel & see that'd I'm doing around 2 to 5 time less goods, and average are rare, instead of having them pretty much every song, as I remember my previous FFR runs).
After looking at everyone complimenting Staiain's keyboard for being absolutely amazing and improving their accuracy, I've come to realize that it might be my keyboard after all. When I'm playing songs, I go exactly along with the beat. I take off my headphones to make sure, when I think that I'm being inaccurate. I thought all these years that it was just me, and while I'm certain that my accuracy still isn't phenomenal and it will take me a lot of practice to AAA harder songs, I think most of the random goods that I'm getting is due to a combination of not being able to steadily stay at 60+ FPS (because my computer) and my keyboard being a cheap laptop keyboard. This thing has served me well in terms of speed, since it requires almost no effort to press any of the keys. Even non-FFR, I've noticed that my WPM is about 20 words faster than on any other keyboard, though it could just be because I've worn this one in so, so much.

I plan on building a new computer soon, and with that, I think I should get a brown switch keyboard. It will be expensive, and I fear that with me mashing away on stepmania it may not last very long, but this laptop keyboard has served me for years with only slight damage, so my expectations are high.

Your post certainly does reinforce the idea that getting a new keyboard will help substantially though, so ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nkeyz View Post
This game looks like twitch chat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
according to the 10k rule im a double master in masturbation
jvizzlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2016, 06:23 PM   #8
PhantomPuppy
Washed and Irrelevant D7
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

would like to say firstly that this is all coming from someone who can't AAA for his life and still has trouble AAA'ing songs in the 20-30 range, so don't butcher me too hard.

tbh, test out all the different flash player standalones, and try out simple view also. for some reason, standalone does not work at all for me, whether it be because of windows 10, the fact im on a laptop, something else... i have no idea. simple view is the only thing that runs at a smooth 60 fps. whatever the case, don't use regular view lol.

second, like everyone else said, a good keyboard > a $10 keyboard. $10 keyboards tend to ghost when playing this game at higher speeds, and break down much faster. that's never fun.

10th OT (D3): 13th
11th OT (D6): 11th
12th OT (D6): 6th
13th OT (D7): 31st
14th OT (D7): 25th
15th OT (D7): LAST PLACE
16th OT (D7): LAST PLACE LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
you know what they say

under all the rust is really shiny...……… metal
PhantomPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2016, 11:08 PM   #9
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I wouldn't go for a mechanical just yet...
I mean sure it would help but there are still barriers to pass that do not require better equipment.

Think of it like you want to start playing an instrument.
you dont go out and buy the best of the best just yet,
you buy a beginners or intermdiate build then once you feel you've got the hang of it you move on up. There are things you cannot buy, namely "practice/technique/skill/etc".

I do recommend getting a keyboard if you do not have one yet.
Like a $15-$30 wired keyboard or something.

I'll tell you this, i've yet to migrate from this bad boy i bought from walmart 7 years ago.

has a super generic name
"HP USB Muiltmedia Keyboard"
it was 15 bucks when i bought it and it won me the 7th official when i was D5, and hopefully the next one <3

There are lots of things to consider when making an important(and expensive) purchase. many other switches to test, brandings and all that stuff to really get what feels right for you.
i just think that you should exceed your limits on a cheapy board, then buy a nice mechanical keyboard as you'd have more knowledge on what you would want.

This isn't to discourage you from getting one though. If you can, and want to, then do it! No downsides other than a bit of money$$$ whatever decision you make, as long as you practice you will get better.