I've been too long
I'm glad to be back
AutotelicBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #22
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: baq12 Singles release thread

New file in the first post! More holiday cheer! It's a fun and jazzy little song by OSTER Project! I decided to start dabbling in designing backgrounds and banners and I'm going for a very simple, but effective look. Have fun and happy holidays!
Old 03-7-2020, 04:50 PM   #23
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

New bump, new file in the first post! War of Worlds by Warmen! Enjoy!
Old 03-8-2020, 03:14 AM   #24
mi40
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baq12 View Post
New bump, new file in the first post! War of Worlds by Warmen! Enjoy!
downloading now!
Old 03-8-2020, 01:18 PM   #25
DourGent
FFR Player

paq(singles)
Old 03-9-2020, 12:08 AM   #26
-paexaea-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I wish I had etterna at home, computer borked. Love your files though mang
Old 05-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #27
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Posted a new file in the first post! Kind by Plini! Here are some general thoughts about the file and the tedious process working on it.

This is a surprisingly complex song, with many layers that are independent of one another. In terms of layering, I had to make a few decisions on what I wanted to emphasize from section to section. I wanted to show off some of the unique rhythms that appear throughout, so in many sections I would follow a few key themes. One example would be the first entrance of the solo guitar. In that section, I stepped the guitar part, but then decided to only layer the bass line and the big snare hits. Had I layered the rim shots and the hi hat, it would have left a very dull and uninteresting pattern with very little variation to it. While I still went for maintaining rhythmic structure throughout, I was really interested in bringing out some of the cooler rhythms, and I think I was able to do that rather effectively.
Another challenging aspect was trying to make cool and interesting holds without going completely overboard on the holds. An aspect of my early files were that I would usually layer in holds in the guitar and keyboard solos as well as crash cymbals, which is fine, but doesn't particularly add anything to the file, especially when it came to putting holds on the crash cymbals. So I decided to give a little variation to it and layered in holds on some of the interesting color chords presented throughout the song. I think they're pretty cool and gives a nice contrast to things.
I hope everyone enjoys the song! I had a really good time working on this one, albeit it was a very tedious project that I took a little too long to work on.

Cheers!
Old 05-17-2020, 10:40 PM   #28
mi40
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Kind has one of the most perfect split jump usage i've seen in forever. they feel so natural to hit and compliment the song so well.

the climactic sections are also beautifully crafted to the point of not being too hard but matching the rising atmosphere

personal 9.5/10 from me!
Old 05-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #29
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

New file out now in the first post! A remaster of one of my older releases! Stream of Consciousness by Dream Theater! A huge thanks goes out to Mollocephalus for the beautiful background and banner. It ties the whole chart together nicely!

So I charted this for the Community Keyboard Megapack Volume 4 back in 2010 when I wasn't as experienced with DDReam studios and was an absolute melon when it came to charting something as difficult as a Dream Theater song, let alone this song. I had some general goals for this remaster:

1: Fix the sync. When I opened the chart in DDReam for the first time in 10 years, I was astonished by how off the syncing was in certain sections, so I went through the entire song and adjusted all of the strong beats as well as inserted multiple sub beats.

2: Eliminate unnecessary color notes. The goal was to eliminate some of the absurd baq12 syndrome that was present throughout the entire song. I have a bad tendency to step as accurately as possible, and it results in a very colorful chart that can be a little tedious to look at, so by inserting sub beats I can still step accurately but eliminate the extra color notes by locking it to 16ths, 24ths, 32nds and so on. I didn't do this for the drum, guitar and keyboard solos for artistic contrast.

3: Adjust patterns to make the file flow more smooth. This is one of the coolest and most complex instrumental sections Dream Theater has ever done. The complexity in the amount of layers from section to section is absolutely nuts and can lead to over-layering, which leads to bad flow. I went in to adjust quite a few of the patterns, specifically in the guitar and keyboard solos. I first took out a lot of the layered drum in the keyboard solo, specifically in the holds, and left the snare and tom hits. I then took out any awkward bursts that were near impossible to hit and replaced them with more fluent patterns. I also adjusted the pitch relevancy as well, especially in the guitar and keyboard sections. I think the patterns in comparison to the original 2010 chart flows much better and feels super good to hit.

Though it was an immense amount of work, it was an absolute joy getting to remaster this. I hope you all enjoy it just as much as I do.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:14 PM   #30
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baq12 View Post
New file out now in the first post! A remaster of one of my older releases! Stream of Consciousness by Dream Theater! A huge thanks goes out to Mollocephalus for the beautiful background and banner. It ties the whole chart together nicely!

So I charted this for the Community Keyboard Megapack Volume 4 back in 2010 when I wasn't as experienced with DDReam studios and was an absolute melon when it came to charting something as difficult as a Dream Theater song, let alone this song. I had some general goals for this remaster:

1: Fix the sync. When I opened the chart in DDReam for the first time in 10 years, I was astonished by how off the syncing was in certain sections, so I went through the entire song and adjusted all of the strong beats as well as inserted multiple sub beats.

2: Eliminate unnecessary color notes. The goal was to eliminate some of the absurd baq12 syndrome that was present throughout the entire song. I have a bad tendency to step as accurately as possible, and it results in a very colorful chart that can be a little tedious to look at, so by inserting sub beats I can still step accurately but eliminate the extra color notes by locking it to 16ths, 24ths, 32nds and so on. I didn't do this for the drum, guitar and keyboard solos for artistic contrast.

3: Adjust patterns to make the file flow more smooth. This is one of the coolest and most complex instrumental sections Dream Theater has ever done. The complexity in the amount of layers from section to section is absolutely nuts and can lead to over-layering, which leads to bad flow. I went in to adjust quite a few of the patterns, specifically in the guitar and keyboard solos. I first took out a lot of the layered drum in the keyboard solo, specifically in the holds, and left the snare and tom hits. I then took out any awkward bursts that were near impossible to hit and replaced them with more fluent patterns. I also adjusted the pitch relevancy as well, especially in the guitar and keyboard sections. I think the patterns in comparison to the original 2010 chart flows much better and feels super good to hit.

Though it was an immense amount of work, it was an absolute joy getting to remaster this. I hope you all enjoy it just as much as I do.
I really hope this was improved a lot, I'd love to see a good file for this song

also it's nice to know I am not the only person who wants to redo older files.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:22 PM   #31
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
I really hope this was improved a lot, I'd love to see a good file for this song

also it's nice to know I am not the only person who wants to redo older files.
Please let me know what you think! I've definitely come a long way since I've charted this 10 years ago.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #32
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus

Stream of consciousness remaster is an absolute god of a file and i can't believe how much effort you put into it, it's looking awesome
Old 05-1-2023, 10:33 PM   #33
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Woops I accidentally started making charts again after 3 years and made 4 new charts and have posted them to the initial post on this thread. My b.

On a serious note though, I had a lot of fun working on all 4 of these charts. Each one provided their own challenges in terms of logical charting, but I think they came out nicely.

I have some more songs in mind that I want to get around to charting in the future, but for now enjoy these new releases!
Old 05-4-2023, 06:03 PM   #34
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

huge if true
Old 05-4-2023, 06:52 PM   #35
ositzxz369
Venetian Snares stepper
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

welcome baq
Old 05-4-2023, 08:23 PM   #36
-paexaea-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

oh fuck yeah
Old 05-5-2023, 09:22 PM   #37
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I probably should have specified which charts were the new ones that I just released (woops), so moving forward, on top of posting the new charts in the initial post, I will be posting them in new replies as I release them for those who are too lazy to go to the initial post. So here they are!

A View from the Top of the World - Dream Theater

Lick the Alphabet - Virt

Seaside Labyrinth - Dirty Androids

Tarred and Feathered - Plini

I have a few new charts in progress as well. Just started on Virt's Flowerguy's Pool Party, and have plans for doing An Endless Sporadic's Impulse II. I recently discovered a couple of Kaminose Tsukasa songs that absolutely slap and will get around to working on them soon. I don't know where all this motivation came from, but it's been rather nice getting back into the game again!

Last edited by baq12; 05-5-2023 at 09:22 PM..
baq12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-5-2023, 10:39 PM   #38
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

FUCKING SOMEONE FINALLY DID TARRED AND FEATHERED THANK FUCK
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 10:44 PM   #39
baq12
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Just finished up and uploaded 3 new charts! I chose 3 pretty groovy songs to work on and they were so much fun to do! Some of them stressed me out a little bit since I was having a hard time making a decision on what I wanted from each chart, but that's part of the process I guess rofl.

Action Boyz - Jack and Owane

1 Difficulty

So this was a ton of fun to chart. A lot of intricate layering opportunities presented themselves and gave me a lot of options to really emphasize the groove. There were times where there were so many layers to the groove that I had to select what instruments I wanted to emphasize and which ones I had to leave out, but overall it came together really quickly! Nothing beats a really fun 3 minute chart of some great guitar shredding.

Flowerguy's Pool Party - Virt

1 Difficulty

So out of all the three songs that I worked on this batch, I had problems with this one the most. There are so many layers to the groove that there were times where I felt like I was layering too much or too little, and that it didn't reflect the mood of the song. Especially when the lead line comes in both times. But I was able to figure something out layering wise that I think really feels really good to hit and reflects the song. The lazy 16ths make this so much more interesting and complex in comparison to if they were precise 16th notes, and I feel like it adds to the laid back mood this song gives off.

Heart - Plini

1 Difficulty

So this was an interesting song to work on for multiple reasons. First, while it sounds pretty simple for the most part, there are so many moving pieces to it. Poly-rhythms are prevalent in this song, and are a crucial part of the groove, so I made sure that they felt good to hit while emphasizing the quirky rhythmic contrast. The song is surprisingly minimalistic too, which a lot of repetition in the overall form, but with very slight variation to the thematic tunes as they are played. I think its a really fun and cool play. While on the easier side of things, I think it provides a really fun challenge of being able to hit the groove while navigating through poly-rhythmic motifs in the percussion that adds really interesting layers to the song.

Last edited by baq12; 05-17-2023 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: updating download link
baq12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:32 PM   #40
-paexaea-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh fuck yeah, Flowerguy's Pool Party is such a banger.