Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #221
HalfStep
Can't AAA anything
FFR Veteran

Default Re: 9th Official Tournament -- Sign-ups open!

You can't base yourself on the finals to determine your placement at the beginning of a tourney... 8 weeks is a very long time, people improve a ton, especially in the lower divisions.

If you apply yourself enough you can do very well.

4th Official Tournament - D1 34th Place
5th Official Tournament - D3 Last Place
8th Official Tournament - D3 3rd Place
TSR's Summer Golf Tournament - D4 2nd Place
FFR Multiplayer Tournament 2013 - D5 12th Place
YoshL's Tournament of Mediocrity - 2nd Place
TSR's Rates Tournament - Standard 2nd Place
DRG's Team Tournament - Intermediate 1st Place
9th Official FFR Tournament - D5 35th Place

Old 10-13-2013, 05:01 AM   #222
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691

Quote:
Originally Posted by FontSize72LOL View Post
Stop placing people D5 just for having 1 FMO. Unless that FMO is 69+. I think Mid/high FMO/Low FGO scores are more indicative of whether or not someone is D5 rather than low FMOs.
We've never placed them in D5 because of 1 FMO first off. Secondly there's now an extra division which changes placements a little. Third this is also now raw scoring which also changes things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenorosth View Post
This would put me in D2 XD Maybe even D1. But I got put in D3 last year because of a few old scores I know I'll never beat. I was so good at index. When I switched, it fell apart. I'll sign up, but if I'm D3 again, I'm not playing. Not after seeing those D2 Finals last tournament. Those were D3 scores, and better than what I could have pulled off. I got eliminated round 1 in D3 last time. :/
Did you message me about your placement last tourney? I don't recall. I can tell you that you're not even close to what a D1 player would be. You're teetering on the D2/D3 because you are super close to heavy on a few songs but I didn't dig super far into your levelranks to see what else was there that landed you in D3 last time. Either way having the attitude of not playing at all really isn't the way to go. Like halfstep said there's a lot of room to improve and you just gotta push your limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug31 View Post
Shenjoku you're a clear D4 player. I think SDGs is a better way to estimate players than just AAAs. Shenjoku has SDGs in the high 60s.

If you guys want a simple way to estimate your division, take your 9th best SDG, and then look at
37 or lower: D1
38-48: D2
49-59: D3
60-71: D4
72-81: D5
82-89: D6
90-99: D7

Of course, this is approximate but it's more accurate than the AAA thing.
I'm not running this thing this time so I hope AJ doesn't mind me saying this but, posting things like this we'd really prefer you didn't do. You're not on the team so you really don't know all the things that are being looked at and are most likely going to cause a lot of confusion and cause more people to be upset when they base where they're going to be on what you're posting. Everyone just has to be patient and wait for us to get through the signups. I know waiting sucks but it's not easy placing people accurately. Some are very easy placements others are really difficult.

I also don't know where you got the 9th best SDG from. Why would we place people based on their 9th best?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl

Last edited by psychoangel691; 10-13-2013 at 05:22 AM..
Old 10-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #223
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Yes, I asked for a redo, but I didn't get it. You said very specifically one song tipped it over. I've not played Ruins in years, and that's what 'tipped' it over last time.

However, my scores now aren't equal to my scores from 2 years ago. I used to consistently FC Z by DM Ashura, and now I find it almost impossible. None of my scores seem to be time stamped though, so you'd never know.

I only have two things even remotely close to heavy, and that was when I started. That was before the 6th official tournament I believe? Those are tokens I worked for. But those were also when I played Index. These days I'd be lucky to FC a 50.

Regardless, I'm not going to put strain on myself if I get D3. I'm not going to play the same song over and over, (and possibly not even like it) and still get eliminated first week because I'm below 95% of the active people there, and then watch the final result for D2 be a SDG for what is a lot harder than the first song in D3.

Really, it's always the same thing if you ask me. People who border D5/D6 and get put in D5 win. People who border D1/D2 and get put in D1 win, and really, it's bull crap, and it's not fun.

Not happening again. Sorry. It's D2, or I'm not playing.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #224
HalfStep
Can't AAA anything
FFR Veteran

No, it's never people who border divisions who win officials, it's people who skillboost. arc went from D2 to D5+ last tourney, beary went from D3 to D6. You could be highest of high D2 and get placed D2 and not make top 8 if you don't improve.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #225
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfStep View Post
No, it's never people who border divisions who win officials, it's people who skillboost. arc went from D2 to D5+ last tourney, beary went from D3 to D6. You could be highest of high D2 and get placed D2 and not make top 8 if you don't improve.
I'm fairly sure then I'm screwed either way. I've been getting worse. Not better. And I'm not spamming the same song over and over again to get cut. To me, I DID skill boost last time. Before I wouldn't have full comboed something that high.

Also, people don't all the sudden "get better" by divisions, in tournament. Going from tournament to tournament can yield time from 6-8 months, and if you only do FFR for 6-8 months, yeah, you're going to get better. They most likely consistently played throughout the whole time. Trust me, if I skill boosted like that for every tournament I played, I'd be D7. Generally spamming the song only yields a difference of about 6-10 goods. Last tournament I started out at X-14-0-0, spammed the song and finished with X-6-0-0-1, and the cut off was X-3-0-0-0.

From experience, the winner is determined from the start, and if I'm going to my time into it, I don't want to be snuffed out round 1 again.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #226
HalfStep
Can't AAA anything
FFR Veteran

That's cause you don't improve by playing the same song for 1 week, you improve by playing really hard songs and playing your song a few times a day.

If the players improved pre-tournament, it would reflect in the scores they obtained, and they wouldn't be placed in the same division. It's very possible to boost that much in a single tournament, if you have the right attitude and dedication.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #227
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

Well we can't place you based on skill dropping and you're already aware of this. We'll see what happens in terms of your placement when the time comes. I didn't dig real far into your ranks at the moment cause it's 7am and I'm runnin on about 4hrs sleep.

Also you can't say if I skill boosted like that for every tournament because it wouldn't be a constant. There's a lot more room for someone to skill boost from a lower division up but then slow down at a certain point. For example I shot from D1 to D4 in less than a year but then it took me forever to hit D5 which I'm like bottom D5 when you compare me to the rest. It's harder to skill boost when you hit a certain point.
Quote:
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:

Quote:
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl
Old 10-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #228
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I know very well you can't judge based on drops. In fact, I bet I'd have better results making a new account, because the stuff I've earned I can't do again. But I have. Hell, I wish I had my old Vertex Beta Replay, I'd look somewhat impressive, but I can't do stream like that since I played index.

I've played the Stepmania/FFR since I was 12. I'm 19 now. From my experience, you don't boost D2 to D3 in a tournament.

If someone could give me video proof otherwise of replays before AND after the tournament (with the person there), then I'd be sated, but other than that, I'd say it's really easy to go and ask a higher player who could care less about what happens to them to play their round. I'm a natural skeptic I guess.

Also. You shot from D1 to D4 in a year? Well, that's not 2 months, and from what I see, It's AAAs across the entire board until the last two songs. That's not "Skill boosting". That's "Already had the skill and using it-ing"

I'm not arguing it anymore, as this is not the place. Bottom line is, D3, I'm out. That's all that is relevant to this thread. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:40 AM   #229
VisD
FFR Simfile Author

"D3 or I won't play!!11"

That would be terrible. What would the tournament do without some player with a sense of entitlement the size of a nation?

The best part is you aren't even placed yet, it's pre-emptive whining. How about just enjoying this tournament of an online flash game that means nothing in the long run?

PS skill boosting is not a magic fairy tale lol. And the final rounds for all divisions are always much higher than what players from those divisions would normally play. Last two times D3 final is usually a D5 mid tournament file. D4 gets 85s, which D6s don't see until like 3 rounds in

Last edited by VisD; 10-13-2013 at 06:43 AM..
Old 10-13-2013, 06:40 AM   #230
HalfStep
Can't AAA anything
FFR Veteran

Quote:
If someone could give me video proof otherwise of replays before AND after the tournament (with the person there), then I'd be sated, but other than that, I'd say it's really easy to go and ask a higher player who could care less about what happens to them to play their round. I'm a natural skeptic I guess.
beginning of round 1 (file is a slow 63)

end of round 8(file is a 71 I suck at)

I played 5-6b points worth of grandtotal in those 2 months, double what you've done in 6 years.

I ended in 3rd place and improved my skill a huge amount.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #231
Frederic54
FFR Veteran

Quote:
From my experience, you don't boost D2 to D3 in a tournament.

If someone could give me video proof otherwise of replays before AND after the tournament (with the person there), then I'd be sated
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfStep View Post
arc went from D2 to D5+ last tourney, beary went from D3 to D6
As stated before, people who won tournaments aren't those misplaced or borderline, it's those with a lot of play time, motivation, and the right conditions to skillboost a lot, especially in lower divisions.

So don't bother about your placement (you're not even placed) as it will not change a thing if you're going into the tourney with that state of mind
Old 10-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #232
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

Quote:
I know very well you can't judge based on drops. In fact, I bet I'd have better results making a new account, because the stuff I've earned I can't do again. But I have. Hell, I wish I had my old Vertex Beta Replay, I'd look somewhat impressive, but I can't do stream like that since I played index.

I've played the Stepmania/FFR since I was 12. I'm 19 now. From my experience, you don't boost D2 to D3 in a tournament.

Also. You shot from D1 to D4 in a year? Well, that's not 2 months, and from what I see, It's AAAs across the entire board until the last two songs. That's not "Skill boosting". That's "Already had the skill and using it-ing"

I'm not arguing it anymore, as this is not the place. Bottom line is, D3, I'm out. That's all that is relevant to this thread. Thanks.
If you made a new account and tried to sneak by you'd be removed immediately from the tournament anyway. You do realize we check everyone for stuff like that. As per the have a higher player play for you, yeah someone did that and I removed them immediately last tournament. Do you really think there's no anti cheats in place? We have tons of ways to detect if someone is cheating.

Also I said less than a year not a year. It took me about 5 months and while that may not be 2 it's a significant increase. When I started playing in the 5th official I was placed D2 and had no D2 scores but I fought for it and whored like hell to make it to 13th where my computer died and I was unable to play the round. I'm confident I would have made it further had that not happened. I didn't have the skill at the beginning at all, but I pushed myself to become better and I've used this example before if you think back. I played sunshine stone over 900 times to stay in the tournament.

But no worries since you're not going to play if you're placed D3 I'll be sure to let AJ know to just remove your name from the dashboard if we end up agreeing on D3. It's really no skin off our backs if you don't want to try. We're going to try to make this as fair as possible for everyone involved, not cater to someone who says they don't want to play because they don't want to try.

Edit: Just saw the from your experience part of this. If you've been playing since you were 12 and are now 19 and are still in the D2/3 area you must not have been an active player the whole time. Or you haven't been actively practicing spread since moving over. In my experience from both playing and being active in the community people skill boost all the time by a division, two or even more if they put in the time and dedication. I've been here since I was 19 and I'm now 28. I don't really see you around the community much and being that your post count is 114 on an account from '09 I think it's safe to say you don't really pay attention to the community to see these types of skill boosts happen.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by psychoangel691; 10-13-2013 at 07:04 AM..
Old 10-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #233
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Xeno, if I were you I would use that division placement to push yourself HARDER than before to catch up with the top of the division

Players like HalfStep, Yoshl, TC_Halogen and many others busted their ass to get a decent position, even though they're at the bottom of the division ladder. Yoshl getting first for D4 even, getting an SDG in the final round which is an 87 (mid-high FGO) or something. His best AAA is a low FMO.

My advice to you is to take it as a game and not as a life and death situation. Would get a lot of stress out of your chest.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #234
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzExZeRo7497 View Post
Xeno, if I were you I would use that division placement to push yourself HARDER than before to catch up with the top of the division

Players like HalfStep, Yoshl, TC_Halogen and many others busted their ass to get a decent position, even though they're at the bottom of the division ladder. Yoshl getting first for D4 even, getting an SDG in the final round which is an 87 (mid-high FGO) or something. His best AAA is a low FMO.

My advice to you is to take it as a game and not as a life and death situation. Would get a lot of stress out of your chest.
This is something we say every tournament and it really is so true. For someone that claims they've been around for 7 years you'd think they'd have seen this. I remember AJ being stuck in D5 with the big dogs before he was as good as he is now but he sure fought for it haha.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Old 10-13-2013, 07:03 AM   #235
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

VisD, I have my reasons, and that is that. Please take your sarcasm elsewhere. The reason I'm saying this before is because I'd rather I not be put in there at the start. Simple as that. I was placed there last time, and I'm not going to have a repeat D1 elimination, and expressed frustration and annoyance about my previous placement. Everything else was responding to other people. You can claim I have a so card "large" entitlement, but I don't believe so.

HalfStep, not everyone can play 12 hours a day, and the fact that you got twice what I did says that "honestly" you really, really need to something else. This website isn't your life. Also, I said specifically, "video", meaning not an FFR replay. I'm a college student. I don't have time to be playing 1/4 a day non stop (or a desire to). Not even for a week, let alone two months.

Either way, at this point, I don't think I'll play at all. I'm requesting to be removed, regardless of what division I play.

Edit: Didn't see psycho's post. I prefer stepmania to here, but here they have incentives, so I play on stepmania (which has a harder grading) when I'm not trying to get tokens. I've always played 10-15 songs a day.

Last edited by Xenorosth; 10-13-2013 at 07:09 AM..
Old 10-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #236
HalfStep
Can't AAA anything
FFR Veteran

Lol "Im a college student"
Good riddance.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #237
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

Quote:
VisD, I have my reasons, and that is that. Please take your sarcasm elsewhere. The reason I'm saying this before is because I'd rather I not be put in there at the start. Simple as that. I was placed there last time, and I'm not going to have a repeat D1 elimination, and expressed frustration and annoyance about my previous placement. Everything else was responding to other people. You can claim I have a so card "large" entitlement, but I don't believe so.

HalfStep, not everyone can play 12 hours a day, and the fact that you got twice what I did says that "honestly" you really, really need to something else. This website isn't your life. Also, I said specifically, "video", meaning not an FFR replay. I'm a college student. I don't have time to be playing 1/4 a day non stop (or a desire to). Not even for a week, let alone two months.

Either way, at this point, I don't think I'll play at all. I'm requesting to be removed, regardless of what division I play.

Edit: Didn't see psycho's post. I prefer stepmania to here, but here they have incentives, so I play on stepmania (which has a harder grading) when I'm not trying to get tokens. I've always played 10-15 songs a day.
You don't have to play 12hrs a day, you're really blowing this way up. Most people here have a life outside of FFR. A lot of FFR people are college students lol. I have a job, school and 2 kids but I still can squeeze in the time to whore a little FFR for the tourney XD. And say the same for AJ since he's their dad, goes to the same school as I do, and works in the same place lol. He works more hours than I do and still finds time.

If you really want to be removed that's fine, you have every right to request it.

You don't need to educate me on stepmania and it's grading. Harsher grading really means nothing in terms of SM to FFR because you can ask some of the top SM players who's skill doesn't transfer from SM to FFR haha. Even AJ is feeling a skill drop on FFR because he's been focusing more on SM lately. There are a few people that are fortunate enough for the skill to transfer though. I'm not one of them, I get worse at FFR the more I play SM

Edit: Maybe I should be referring to AJ as TC_Halogen in the tourney thread since there are people who aren't super active community members during these times lol.

Edit 2: Looks like I'm not getting anymore sleep so back to some more placements I go! AJ's at work till at least 2 today so people can feel free to bug me about stuff if they want.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by psychoangel691; 10-13-2013 at 07:19 AM..
Old 10-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #238
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoangel691 View Post
You don't have to play 12hrs a day, you're really blowing this way up. Most people here have a life outside of FFR. A lot of FFR people are college students lol. I have a job, school and 2 kids but I still can squeeze in the time to whore a little FFR for the tourney XD. And say the same for AJ since he's their dad, goes to the same school as I do, and works in the same place lol. He works more hours than I do and still finds time.

If you really want to be removed that's fine, you have every right to request it.

You don't need to educate me on stepmania and it's grading. Harsher grading really means nothing in terms of SM to FFR because you can ask some of the top SM players who's skill doesn't transfer from SM to FFR haha. Even AJ is feeling a skill drop on FFR because he's been focusing more on SM lately. There are a few people that are fortunate enough for the skill to transfer though. I'm not one of them, I get worse at FFR the more I play SM

Edit: Maybe I should be referring to AJ as TC_Halogen in the tourney thread since there are people who aren't super active community members during these times lol.

Edit 2: Looks like I'm not getting anymore sleep so back to some more placements I go! AJ's at work till at least 2 today so people can feel free to bug me about stuff if they want.
Yeah. I'm fairly sure I don't want to play.

And no, you don't have to play 12 hours. But you do have to put a good amount of time into it. 3-4 hours at least, and that isn't an exaggeration. What's worse is that people DO play for 12 hours a day.

And yeah, I'm a college student. It takes time, and a lot of it. I had a project for due one month later, worked 6 hours on it a day, and still didn't finish. Only one person did.

And saying this now, I feel like I'd be better off elsewhere. Obviously, people think I'm joking or exaggerating, but I'm not. To get the tokens I have now? I had to play 6-8 hours a day. I'm not blowing this up. Anyone who is in D4-7 is lying if they say they've not grinded like that before.

Perhaps I am too serious for this place, I suppose. Have fun with your tournament.

I'll be living in the real world.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #239
HalfStep
Can't AAA anything
FFR Veteran

College is a joke compared to the "real world". Just saying.

edit: Anyway I'm done replying to this lmfao, if I said anything out of place feel free to delete my posts (@mods)

Old 10-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #240
MracY
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

One doesn't get better in something by randomly doing an activity over and over again. You get better by analysing the activity and analysing what needs to be done to get better.

If you intend to do anything noteworthy in the real world, you might do good to quit living in your own little world of mediocrity where you need to work hard and waste time to improve your skill.
Closed Thread