Old 05-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #121
Sky Kitten
Crazy Cat Lady
Community Manager, User Support
Community ManagerGlobal ModeratorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Terry's Astronomy Thread.

What's in the sky tonight?
May 20, 2012
-Partial/annular eclipse of the Sun! This afternoon, all but easternmost North America will experience at least a partial eclipse of the Sun. So will the Pacific and (on the morning of May 21st local date) the eastern half of Asia. The eclipse will become annular — with the rim of the Sun a brilliant ring surrounding the dark silhouette of the Moon — along a path from south China and parts of Japan across the Pacific to the California-Oregon coast and from there southeastward to end at sunset in Texas. Go here to read more about the eclipse. Also see the Upcoming Events tab in the main post for more specific information.

-Arcturus shines high in the southeastern sky after dark. Vega, equally bright, shines lower in the northeast. A third of the way from Arcturus to Vega, look for dim Corona Borealis, the Northern Crown, with its one modestly bright star, Alphecca. Two thirds of the way from Arcturus to Vega is the dim Keystone of Hercules.

-New Moon (exact at 7:47 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time).

Astro Picture of the Day:
May 20, 2012
Source:
Did you see that flash? Lasting only about 15 seconds, it's possible that nobody you ask can confirm it, but what you might have seen is sunlight reflecting off an orbiting Iridium satellite. Satellites of all types have been providing streaks and glints visible only since the launch of Sputnik I in 1957. Of these, flares from any of the 66 Iridium satellites can be particularly bright, sometimes even approaching the brightness of the Moon. If the Iridium satellites are programmed to re-enter the Earth's atmosphere, they might provide even brighter flares as they burn up. Pictured above, the streak from an Iridium satellite punctuates a picturesque sunset in San Sebastian, Spain. Then again, that sky-flash you saw? If it lasted only a second or two, it might have been a meteor.

FMO AAAs (22): Heavenly Spores, .357 Magnum, Pure Ruby, VS Boss Battle, Black, You Goddamn Fish, Faint Breath, Epilogue, Crimson Flood, Zombie Killing Blood Spilling, Saffron City (offline), Fast Asleep, R2, Her Majesty, Defection, Happy Meal, Bit Blue, Stupor of Peace, Tightwad, Progressive jikuu shoujo! Urashima Taroko-chan!, Annihilator Method, Skyfire Ace
Sky Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #122
Sky Kitten
Crazy Cat Lady
Community Manager, User Support
Community ManagerGlobal ModeratorFFR Veteran

May 21, 2012
-Can you pick up this month's thin crescent Moon yet? During twilight in the Americas it's barely 24 hours old. (After all, it was in front of the Sun yesterday afternoon!) Using binoculars, look for it no more than a half hour after sunset well below Venus in the west-northwest, as shown at lower right.

May 21, 2012
Source:
How can two stars create such a strange and intricate structure? Most stars are members of multiple-star systems. Some stars are members of close binary systems where material from one star swirls around the other in an accretion disk. Only a handful of stars, however, are members of an intermediate polar, a system featuring a white dwarf star with a magnetic field that significantly pushes out the inner accretion disk, only allowing material to fall down its magnetic poles. Shown above is an artist's depiction of an intermediate polar system, also known as a DQ Hercules system. The foreground white dwarf is so close to the normal star that it strips away its outer atmosphere. As the white dwarf spins, the columns of infalling gas rotate with it. The name intermediate polar derives from observations of emitted light polarized at a level intermediate to non-disk binary systems known as polars. Intermediate polars are a type of cataclysmic variable star system.

FMO AAAs (22): Heavenly Spores, .357 Magnum, Pure Ruby, VS Boss Battle, Black, You Goddamn Fish, Faint Breath, Epilogue, Crimson Flood, Zombie Killing Blood Spilling, Saffron City (offline), Fast Asleep, R2, Her Majesty, Defection, Happy Meal, Bit Blue, Stupor of Peace, Tightwad, Progressive jikuu shoujo! Urashima Taroko-chan!, Annihilator Method, Skyfire Ace
Sky Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #123
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

damn that close binary system be lookin hawt
Old 05-22-2012, 06:14 AM   #124
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Bluearrowll Send a message via MSN to Bluearrowll

May 22, 2012
-After sunset, look for the thin two-day-old Moon left of Venus, as shown here. This is the last chance to see the moon and Venus beside each other for an entire year, so if weather permits you, don't miss out.

May 22, 2012

Source: My camera
This is part 1 of 3 of photos that I am posting from my adventures over the weekend. Part 1 is the annular solar eclipse that occured at sunset on the 20th for me. As I was still very far east I was unable to see the whole show, but I still came up with this. For some, this was the first chance to see a solar eclipse in about a decade. Something about watching this occur while seeing the reflection on the water slowly adjust with the real spectacle was stunning, nature at its finest. Oh and the best part is I didn't blind myself in the process! This was taken at Cyprus Lake near Tobermory.
5th in Phynx's Unofficial FFR Tournament
9th in D3 of the 2008-2009 4th Official FFR Tournament
10th in D5 of the 2010 5th Official FFR Tournament
10th in D6 of the 2011-2012 6th Official FFR Tournament

FMO AAA Count: 71
FGO AAA Count: 10

Bluearrowll = The Canadian player who can not detect awkward patterns. If it's awkward for most people, it's normal for Terry. If the file is difficult but super straight forward, he has issues. If he's AAAing a FGO but then heard that his favorite Hockey team was losing by a point, Hockey > FFR
PS: Cool AAA's Terry
- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Bluearrowll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #125
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

May 23, 2012
-Using the Moon and Venus as your guides, what fainter stars in the area can you identify with the chart here? Binoculars help. You will be looking at the stars of Gemini. Pollux and Castor are the 'heads' of the Gemini twins.

May 23, 2012

This is part 2 of 3 of photos that I am posting from my adventures over the weekend. Part 2 is the wonderful milky way that quietly greets us every night, yet we fail to see it in such light polluted skies. In the lands of Cyprus Lake, walking about 3km away from my campsite with no city lights anywhere, I used my red flashlight to navigate my way to this opening, where around 2am I was greeted by the rising milky way which was following a quick moving Scorpius. Being my first time witnessing the whole thing, I wish I had words to describe how it happened, but there is this amusing little story behind the discovery; it took about 20 minutes for my eyes to fully adapt to the milky way. Around this time I happened to be greeted by a few noticably drunk adventurers who were trying to find something in the woods, don't ask me what because I don't know. We look towards the North east, noting a faint cloud in the sky that appeared to have stars in front of it. I pointed my camera and shot the first photograph, and it was after looking at that photograph we all realised what we were seeing, and we could see it clearly immediately after this. The drunk guys said thanks for showing us, and decided to part ways, but not before one of them walked into a tree and needed help from someone to get back up. I don't know when, but I will return up here again.

Bluearrowll = The Canadian player who can not detect awkward patterns. If it's awkward for most people, it's normal for Terry. If the file is difficult but super straight forward, he has issues. If he's AAAing a FGO but then heard that his favorite Hockey team was losing by a point, Hockey > FFR
- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 05-24-2012, 06:19 AM   #126
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

May 24, 2012
-In a telescope, Venus is a dramatic, thin crescent becoming more interesting all the time. This week it enlarges from 50 to 54 arcseconds tall while waning from 10% to just 4% sunlit. You may even see the crescent with firmly braced binoculars.

-This evening Pollux and Castor are lined up above or upper right of the crescent Moon.

May 24, 2012

This is part 3 of 3 of photos that I am posting from my adventures over the weekend. The first image here shows a satellite that I managed to capture while viewing the night sky early in the evening. (When I say early, I mean around 10pm). Closer inspection of my satellite chart for objects brighter than magnitude 3 revealed this was COSMOS 1939 ROCKET flying overhead. Those rockets that are thrown off space shuttles and such don't always fall back down to the Earth you know - some of them are stuck in orbit. The other photo is a view from my campsite when you look up in the sky. It's a much nicer view than in the city where you simply see brown and maybe a select few stars. One thing I couldn't get over was how much brigher stars I thought I knew were - I had a hard time pointing out constellations that I see almost daily becuase of this! I would like to revisit sometime in October or the winter - when Orion and the Pleiades are in the sky, and the Winter Triangle dominates the night. What a sight that would be.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 05-25-2012, 06:22 AM   #127
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

May 25, 2012
-Well to the right of the Moon this evening shine Pollux and Castor, the heads of the Gemini twins. They're lined up almost horizontally. Look well below the Moon for Procyon, one of the last remaining stars of the winter triangle in the evening sky.

-Venus is now at the peak of its evening drama, dropping faster into the bright sunset every day. How many more days can you follow it with your naked eyes? With binoculars? Don't confuse it with Capella about 20° to its upper right.

In a telescope Venus is a dramatically thin crescent, just 4% sunlit on May 25th and 3% on the 30th, and about 55 arcseconds tall. You may be able to see its crescent shape in binoculars.

May 25, 2012
Source:
It was a typical Texas sunset except that most of the Sun was missing. The location of the missing piece of the Sun was not a mystery -- it was behind the Moon. Sunday night's partial eclipse of the Sun by the Moon turned into one of the best photographed astronomical events in history. Gallery after online gallery is posting just one amazing eclipse image after another. Pictured above is possibly one of the more interesting posted images -- a partially eclipsed Sun setting in a reddened sky behind brush and a windmill. The image was taken Sunday night from about 20 miles west of Sundown, Texas, USA, just after the ring of fire effect was broken by the Moon moving away from the center of the Sun. Coming early next month is an astronomical event that holds promise to be even more photographed -- the last partial eclipse of the Sun by Venus until the year 2117.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol

Last edited by Bluearrowll; 05-26-2012 at 11:40 AM..
Old 05-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #128
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

May 26, 2012
-By late evening the summer constellation Scorpius is well up in the south-southeast, as shown at right. Look for its brightest star, fire-colored Antares, the Scorpion's heart. Antares' "outrigger" stars are just below it and to its upper right. Farther upper right is the diagonal three-star row of Scorpius's head, topped by Beta Scorpii.

-This week is the last chance to see Venus before the Transit of Venus June 5th. In a telescope Venus is a dramatically thin crescent, just 4% sunlit on May 25th and 3% on the 30th, and about 55 arcseconds tall. You may be able to see its crescent shape in binoculars.

May 26, 2012
Source:
This sharp cosmic portrait features NGC 891. The spiral galaxy spans about 100 thousand light-years and is seen almost exactly edge-on from our perspective. In fact, about 30 million light-years distant in the constellation Andromeda, NGC 891 looks a lot like our Milky Way. At first glance, it has a flat, thin, galactic disk and a central bulge cut along the middle by regions of dark obscuring dust. The combined image data also reveals the galaxy's young blue star clusters and telltale pinkish star forming regions. And remarkably apparent in NGC 891's edge-on presentation are filaments of dust that extend hundreds of light-years above and below the center line. The dust has likely been blown out of the disk by supernova explosions or intense star formation activity. Faint neighboring galaxies can also been seen near this galaxy's disk.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 05-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #129
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

May 27, 2012
-Look above the Moon this evening for Regulus and, higher and fainter, Gamma Leonis. To the left of these three is Mars.

-This week is the last chance to see Venus before the Transit of Venus June 5th. In a telescope Venus is a dramatically thin crescent, just 4% sunlit on May 25th and 3% on the 30th, and about 55 arcseconds tall. You may be able to see its crescent shape in binoculars. Venus is still a blazing magnitude -4.3, but will continue to get fainter as it sinks lower into the glare of the sun.

May 27, 2012
Source:
Can you spot the planet? The diminutive disk of Mercury, the solar system's innermost planet, spent about five hours crossing in front of the enormous solar disk in 2003, as viewed from the general vicinity of planet Earth. The Sun was above the horizon during the entire transit for observers in Europe, Africa, Asia, or Australia, and the horizon was certainly no problem for the sun-staring SOHO spacecraft. Seen as a dark spot, Mercury progresses from left to right (top panel to bottom) in these four images from SOHO's extreme ultraviolet camera. The panels' false-colors correspond to different wavelengths in the extreme ultraviolet which highlight regions above the Sun's visible surface. This was the first of 14 transits of Mercury which will occur during the 21st century. Next week, however, an event much more rare but easier to spot will occur - a transit of Venus across the Sun. Mercury is found moving left to right in these images.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 05-28-2012, 06:04 AM   #130
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

May 28, 2012
-Mars shines above the first-quarter Moon this evening.

-Saturn (magnitude +0.5, in Virgo) shines high in the south at nightfall. Below it by nearly 5° is Spica, fainter and bluer. They set in the west before dawn.

May 28, 2012
Source:
Have you contemplated your home star recently? Pictured above, a Sun partially eclipsed on the top left by the Moon is also seen eclipsed by earthlings contemplating the eclipse below. The above menagerie of silhouettes was taken from the Glenn Canyon National Recreational Area near Page, Arizona, USA, where park rangers and astronomers expounded on the unusual event to interested gatherers. Also faintly visible on the Sun's disk, just to the lower right of the dark Moon's disk, is a group of sunspots. Although exciting, some consider this event a warm-up act for next week's chance to comtemplate the Sun - a much more rare partial eclipse by the planet Venus.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 05-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #131
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

how have i never seen this thread b4??? this stuff is crazy. Does it work in the southern hemisphere as well??

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
popsicle_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #132
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsicle_3000 View Post
how have i never seen this thread b4??? this stuff is crazy. Does it work in the southern hemisphere as well??
Most of the things I mention are generally northern hemisphere based around 40 degrees north; however there are many items that are global.

The astro picture of the day, major upcoming events, light pollution maps, some of the "what's in the sky tonight?" events, the international space station tracker will all find their way in the southern hemisphere at some point. We are a week away from the Transit of Venus which WILL be seen in a good chunk of the southern hemisphere.

May 29, 2012
-Bright Arcturus shines southeast of the zenith after dark. Vega, equally bright, shines less high in the east-northeast.

-A third of the way from Arcturus to Vega, look for dim Corona Borealis, the Northern Crown, with its one modestly bright star, Alphecca. Two thirds of the way from Arcturus to Vega is the dim Keystone of Hercules.

May 29, 2012
Source:
Who guards the north? Judging from the above photograph, possibly giant trees covered in snow and ice. The picture was taken last winter in Finnish Lapland where weather can include sub-freezing temperatures and driving snow. Surreal landscapes sometimes result, where common trees become cloaked in white and so appear, to some, as watchful aliens. Far in the distance, behind this uncommon Earthly vista, is a more common sight -- a Belt of Venus that divided a darkened from sunlit sky as the Sun rose behind the photographer. The Belt of Venus can be seen every day granted clear skies; it is the earthès shadow and the first signs of night sky. It can be found opposite the sun at sunset. Of course, in the spring, the trees have thawed and Lapland looks much different.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 05-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #133
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

May 30, 2012
-Saturn and Spica are well to the left of the Moon this evening. Less far below the Moon, look for the four-star pattern of Corvus, the Crow, as shown here.

May 30, 2012
Source:
What's that dark spot on planet Earth? It's the shadow of the Moon. The above image of Earth was taken last week by MTSAT during an annular eclipse of the Sun. The dark spot appears quite unusual as clouds are white and the oceans are blue in this color corrected image. Earthlings residing within the dark spot would see part of the Sun blocked by the Moon and so receive less sunlight than normal. The spot moved across the Earth at nearly 2,000 kilometers per hour, giving many viewers less than two hours to see a partially eclipsed Sun. MTSAT circles the Earth in a geostationary orbit and so took the above image from about three Earth-diameters away. Sky enthusiasts might want to keep their eyes pointed upward this coming week as a partial eclipse of the Moon will occur on June 4 and a transit of Venus across the face of the Sun will occur on June 5.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 05-31-2012, 06:25 AM   #134
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

May 31, 2012
-The gibbous Moon, Spica, and Saturn form an upward line this evening. How straight the line is will depend on when and where you're viewing from.

-In a telescope Venus is a dramatically thin crescent, just 4% sunlit on May 25th and 3% on the 30th, and about 55 arcseconds tall. You can see its crescent shape with firmly braced binoculars.

May 31, 2012
Source:
Comet Lovejoy (C/2011 W3) survived its close encounter with the Sun earlier this month, taking its place among wonders of the southern skies just in time for Christmas. Seen here before sunrise from Paranal Observatory in Chile, the sungrazing comet's tails stretch far above the eastern horizon. Spanning over 20 degrees they rise alongside the plane of the our Milky Way galaxy. A breathtaking spectacle in itself, Lovejoy performs on this celestial stage with southern stars and nebulae, including the Large and Small Magellanic clouds right of the telescope dome, and the glow of zodiacal light along the left edge of the frame. With Paranal's Very Large Telescope units in the foreground, this wide-angle scene was captured on December 23. Receding from the Sun, Comet Lovejoy's tails have continued to grow in length even as the comet fades.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 06-1-2012, 06:13 AM   #135
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

Less than a week away from the Transit of Venus! I may dedicate a thread to it later.

June 1, 2012
-By 10 or 11 p.m. (depending on your location) the Summer Triangle is up in the east. Its top corner is Vega: the brightest star in the eastern sky. Deneb is the brightest star to Vega's lower left. Look for Altair substantially farther to Venus's lower right.

June 1, 2012
Source:
These three bright nebulae are often featured in telescopic tours of the constellation Sagittarius and the crowded starfields of the central Milky Way. In fact, 18th century cosmic tourist Charles Messier cataloged two of them; M8, the large nebula left of center, and colorful M20 on the right. The third, NGC 6559, is above M8, separated from the larger nebula by a dark dust lane. All three are stellar nurseries about five thousand light-years or so distant. The expansive M8, over a hundred light-years across, is also known as the Lagoon Nebula. M20's popular moniker is the Trifid. Glowing hydrogen gas creates the dominant red color of the emission nebulae, with contrasting blue hues, most striking in the Trifid, due to dust reflected starlight. This broad skyscape also includes one of Messier's open star clusters, M21, just above and right of the Trifid.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 06-2-2012, 09:53 AM   #136
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

June 2, 2012
-The gibbous Moon shines in the south-southeast after dark. Look well to its lower left for orange Antares. Nearly halfway between the Moon and Antares is the row of three stars marking the head of Scorpius. There will also be a partial eclipse of the moon on the 4th of June.

June 2, 2012
Source:
The 51st entry in Charles Messier's famous catalog is perhaps the original spiral nebula - a large galaxy with a well defined spiral structure also cataloged as NGC 5194. Over 60,000 light-years across, M51's spiral arms and dust lanes clearly sweep in front of its companion galaxy (top), NGC 5195. Image data from the Hubble's Advanced Camera for Surveys has been reprocessed to produce this alternative portrait of the well-known interacting galaxy pair. The processing has further sharpened details and enhanced color and contrast in otherwise faint areas, bringing out dust lanes and extended streams that cross the small companion, along with features in the surroundings and core of M51 itself. The pair are about 31 million light-years distant. Not far on the sky from the handle of the Big Dipper, they officially lie within the boundaries of the small constellation Canes Venatici.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 06-3-2012, 11:40 AM   #137
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

June 3, 2012
-Venus is now virtually impossible to see this week as it is hidden in the glare of the sun, that is except for 6 hours and 20 minutes on June 5th when it crosses the path of the sun.

-Mercury is beginning to emerge into view low in the sunset. By late this week, look for it low in the west-northwest about 30 minutes after sundown. Don't confuse it with Capella well to its right, in the northwest.

June 3, 2012
Source:
The rare transit of Venus across the face of the Sun in 2004 was one of the better-photographed events in sky history. Both scientific and artistic images flooded in from the areas that could see the transit: Europe and much of Asia, Africa, and North America. Scientifically, solar photographers confirmed that the black drop effect is really better related to the viewing clarity of the camera or telescope than the atmosphere of Venus. Artistically, images might be divided into several categories. One type captures the transit in front of a highly detailed Sun. Another category captures a double coincidence such as both Venus and an airplane simultaneously silhouetted, or Venus and the International Space Station in low Earth orbit. A third image type involves a fortuitous arrangement of interesting looking clouds, as shown by example in the above image taken from North Carolina, USA. Sky enthusiasts worldwide are abuzz about the coming transit of Venus on Tuesday. It is perhaps interesting to wonder whether any person will live to see - and remember seeing - both Tuesday's Venus transit and the next one in 2117. If they were born today, they would be 105 before they get to see the next one!

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 06-4-2012, 06:12 AM   #138
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

June 4, 2012
-This evening, look for red Antares about 4° lower right of the full Moon (as seen from North America).

-Partial eclipse of the Moon before and during dawn Monday morning for central and western North America. The partial eclipse begins at 3:00 a.m. PDT; mid-eclipse (with 38% of the Moon's diameter in shadow) is at 4:03 a.m. PDT; partial eclipse ends at 5:07 a.m. PDT.

June 4, 2012
Source:
Will our Milky Way Galaxy collide one day with its larger neighbor, the Andromeda Galaxy? Most likely, yes. Careful plotting of slight displacements of M31's stars relative to background galaxies on recent Hubble Space Telescope images indicate that the center of M31 could be on a direct collision course with the center of our home galaxy. Still, the errors in sideways velocity appear sufficiently large to admit a good chance that the central parts of the two galaxies will miss, slightly, but will become close enough for their outer halos to become gravitationally entangled. Once that happens, the two galaxies will become bound, dance around, and eventually merge to become one large elliptical galaxy -- over the next few billion years. Pictured above is an artist's illustration of the sky of a world in the distant future when the central parts of each galaxy begin to destroy each other. The exact future of our Milky Way and the entire surrounding Local Group of Galaxies is likely to remain an active topic of research for years to come.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 06-5-2012, 06:22 AM   #139
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

June 5, 2012
-Transit of Venus across the face of the Sun this afternoon for North and Central America; on June 6th local date for Asia, Australia, and much of Europe. Go here to see more details.

You may or may not have heard already that on June 5th, (6th if you are in the eastern side of the world) the planet Venus is going to cross the Sun in a dramatic 6 and a half hour show. The first thing you need to know is are you in the area where it is going to be displayed to the world? Use the following map courtesy of SkyandTelescope to see:

In other words, unless you live in South America, West Africa, Spain or Portugal, or Antarctica, you have a chance to see this event, weather permitting.

Their article here puts it best: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/obser...134332798.html

However, if you do not wish to click the link, you can also read some of the article in this spoiler.

Often we're told about a particular astronomical event — eclipses and planet line-ups, for example — that happen only rarely. But Venus crossing the face of the Sun on June 5–6, 2012, takes "rare" to a new level. Don't miss the chance to see this, because you'll never have another chance in your lifetime.
June's celestial spectacle, called a transit of Venus, happens only four times every 243 years. However, the spacing between each occurrence is very uneven: it's 121½ years, then 8 years, then 105½ years, then 8 years again. The last transit occurred in June 2004 — and after this June's event there won't be another until December 2117.

Fortunately, unlike the narrow, fleeting path of visibility for a total solar eclipse, the upcoming transit by Venus will last for about 6½ hours and can be seen from more than half of Earth's surface.

For most of North America, the transit of Venus will begin on the afternoon of June 5th and still be in progress at sunset. Those in western Pacific, eastern Asia, and eastern Australia see the whole show from beginning to end on June 6th (local date). Click on the image for a larger, worldwide map.
Michael Zeiler / Eclipse-maps.com
As the map here shows, North Americans are positioned to see at least a portion of it on the afternoon of June 5th. Unfortunately, almost everyone in South America will miss out. On the other side of the globe (click on the map), portions of the transit are observable at or after sunrise on June 6th from Europe, northeast Africa, west and south-central Asia, and western Australia.
The best-positioned skygazers are those in eastern Asia, eastern Australia, Alaska, New Zealand, and all of the Pacific from Hawaii westward. They have ringside seats for watching the entire transit, including the crucial events around both its start and finish.

People living in the Northern Hemisphere will see a longer show due to the parallax of Venus. The reason for this is illustrated in the following image, where one watching in north america sees Venus cross a lower portion of the sun, than someone in austrailia who sees Venus crossing a higher portion of the sun.

So what time does it all happen?

It depends on your location. Here are three tables of major cities where the times of the transit will begin and end.

Some definitions:
External Ingress: Venus touches the edge of the sun. The Transit starts here.
Internal Ingress: Venus completely enters the sun, and appears as a silhouette.
Greatest Transit: The deepest point of the transit.
Internal Egress: The time of the exact moment Venus begins to depart the sun's image.
External Egress: The time of the exact moment Venus leaves the sun's image. The Transit ends here.

CANADA:
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/tran/TOV2012-Tab02.pdf

UNITED STATES:
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/tran/TOV2012-Tab03.pdf

WORLD:
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/tran/TOV2012-Tab04.pdf

----------------------------------------

Now this is likely the last transit of Venus you are going to see in your lifetime, unless you plan to live for another 105 years after this year. Unless you get clouded over, I recommend making an attempt to see this twice in a lifetime (for us) event. Some generations live their full lives without ever seeing what it looks like. To the untrained person, they won't realise what's happening as Venus covers just 3% of the surface of the Sun. Unless they're looking straight at the sun, it will appear to be a normal day.

Scientist's can use the transit to calculate precisely the circumference of the Sun, and other characteristics of the sun. The sun is crucial to our understanding of measuring more distant objects, and -everyone- is being invited to participate in a measurement where you can calculate the exact moment Venus exteranlly ingressed and egressed the sun. Read more about this here.
http://transitofvenus.nl/wp/getting-...suns-distance/

I am prepared for the Transit, assuming I have good weather. Are you?

If you do not have good weather, or you live in an area where there is no transit:

You can watch the transit online from -anyone- of the online broadcasts found in this link. Don't let poor weather hamper your experience!
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/obser...154213475.html

More updates will be posted in my astronomy thread, as well as this thread.

June 5, 2012
Source:
Today Venus moves in front of the Sun. One way to follow this rare event is to actively reload the above live image of the Sun during the right time interval and look for an unusual circular dark dot. The smaller sprawling dark areas are sunspots. The circular dot is the planet Venus. The dark dot will only appear during a few very specific hours, from about 22:10 on 2012 June 5 through 4:50 2012 June 6, Universal Time. This transit is the rarest type of solar eclipse known -- much more rare than an eclipse of the Sun by the Moon or even by the planet Mercury. In fact, the next transit of Venus across the Sun will be in 2117. Anyone with a clear view of the Sun can go outside and carefully view the transit for themselves by projecting sunlight through a hole in a card onto a wall. Because this Venus transit is so unusual and visible from so much of the Earth, it is expected to be one of the more photographed celestial events in history. The above live image on the Sun is being taken by the Earth-orbiting Solar Dynamics Observatory and can be updated about every 15 minutes.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 06-6-2012, 06:42 AM   #140
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

June 6, 2012
-Look very high in the south after dark for bright Arcturus. Much lower, and perhaps a bit right, are Saturn and (below it) Spica. Farther down to their lower right is the four-star pattern of Corvus, the Crow.

June 5, 2012
Source:
A setting full moon rarely looks like this. Monday morning just before a fully lit Strawberry Moon dropped behind the Absaroka Mountain Range near Cody, Wyoming, USA, the shadow of the Earth got in the way. A similarly setting partial lunar eclipse was visible throughout most of North and South America, while simultaneously the same partially darkened moon was visible throughout eastern Asia. Pictured in the foreground is a snowbank formation known as the Horse's Head off a tributary of the Shoshone River. Lunar eclipses occur about twice a year, and the next one -- a penumbral eclipse -- will occur in late November.

My Photos of the Transit of Venus:

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol