Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat > Ask Me Anything

Ask Me Anything A forum where notable users offer to answer questions from the userbase.

Old 01-6-2017, 09:28 AM   #1
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Dossar AMA

Hello folks. I've decided to do this again; feel free to give your questions.
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
Soul Evans
FFR Player

Default Re: Dossar AMA

Why do you sound older than what you are?
Soul Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
Zapmeister
FFR Player

You're playing poker with a tiger, a sea lion, a blue whale, a penguin, a salmon, a piranha, and a blobfish. You're holding 10h Qc and the flop is Qd 3d 4s. The tiger is confused as to how it ended up in the middle of the ocean, thinks to itself, and seemingly has no idea how to react to the situation, and hesitantly checks while staring at the penguin. The sea lion already folded. The blue whale is having fun spouting water out of its blowhole and not concentrating on the game, and it also checks. The penguin is being weird and is pretending to be a dolphin by leaping majestically out of the water and jumping back in again, but it doesn't look impressive, and it bets 2/3 of the pot. The salmon already folded and has just checked what the price of bitcoin just did and immediately swims away from the game in a state of shock. The piranha folds and you can tell it has been chewing on its cards. The blobfish does... whatever a blobfish does, stares at the tiger, and makes a minimum raise. You don't think the blobfish has looked at its cards yet. Do you fold, call, raise, or run screaming?

You remember a few weeks ago when you had that gif in your avatar of some guy trying to rope swing onto a floating platform and missing? Where did that come from? I want to watch some more.

What is the longest continuous piece of writing, by word count, that you have ever written by hand, using pen/pencil and paper? (Ignore writing lines, like if it was something like having to handwrite "I must not talk in class" 500 times, that sort of stuff does not count.)

What is your opinion of the idea that American universities make their students do a little bit of every subject like English/math(s)/science/history/sometimes PE (what the fuck?) in their first two years? Why the hell do they even make students do all that? Do you consider it a waste of time?

Theorem: If you have a large enough number of monkeys, and a large enough number of computer keyboards, one of them will sight-read AAA death piano on stealth. And the ffr community will forever worship it. Proof Example

ask me anything here

mashed FCs: 329

r1: 5
r2: 4
r3: 6
r4: 8
r5: 3
r6: 5
r7: 15
final position: 4th
Zapmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Evans View Post
Why do you sound older than what you are?
I've received this comment before from one of my friends. It's probably the reduced hostility and reduced sarcasm. 2012 and before I was constantly in an environment that was full of a lot of judgmental bullshit and sarcasm, and that unfortunately leaked into this site. That could even make its own thread actually; that's a topic for another day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapmeister View Post
You're playing poker with a tiger, a sea lion, a blue whale, a penguin, a salmon, a piranha, and a blobfish. You're holding 10h Qc and the flop is Qd 3d 4s. The tiger is confused as to how it ended up in the middle of the ocean, thinks to itself, and seemingly has no idea how to react to the situation, and hesitantly checks while staring at the penguin. The sea lion already folded. The blue whale is having fun spouting water out of its blowhole and not concentrating on the game, and it also checks. The penguin is being weird and is pretending to be a dolphin by leaping majestically out of the water and jumping back in again, but it doesn't look impressive, and it bets 2/3 of the pot. The salmon already folded and has just checked what the price of bitcoin just did and immediately swims away from the game in a state of shock. The piranha folds and you can tell it has been chewing on its cards. The blobfish does... whatever a blobfish does, stares at the tiger, and makes a minimum raise. You don't think the blobfish has looked at its cards yet. Do you fold, call, raise, or run screaming?
What I'm wondering is what I'm doing playing poker with all those animals in the first place. Anyways, I would run screaming. I can't take chances with animals that could kill me over a game of poker.

Quote:
You remember a few weeks ago when you had that gif in your avatar of some guy trying to rope swing onto a floating platform and missing? Where did that come from? I want to watch some more.

That's from a show from Spike TV called Most Extreme Elimination Challenge (MXC) and seasons 1-5 are available to watch on YouTube (for the most part). It's an english re-dub of Takeshi's Castle that is purposely overdramatic when it comes to rewinding and replays. The specific episode in question is the one with the Dairy Workers. Of course these are all fictional names, although the cast that wrote the script came up with plenty of hilarious commentary, contestant names, and occupations.

Quote:
What is the longest continuous piece of writing, by word count, that you have ever written by hand, using pen/pencil and paper? (Ignore writing lines, like if it was something like having to handwrite "I must not talk in class" 500 times, that sort of stuff does not count.)
I'd have to say the thousands of words (symbols too) when I took the final exam in my university's Theoretical Foundations of Computer Science Course in Summer 2016. In 2 hours I wrote 8 pages worth of detailed answers. My hand wasn't feeling too great after all that writing in 2 hours.

Quote:
What is your opinion of the idea that American universities make their students do a little bit of every subject like English/math(s)/science/history/sometimes PE (what the fuck?) in their first two years? Why the hell do they even make students do all that? Do you consider it a waste of time?
PE is stupid and simply just a money grab. People can find their own time to exercise, especially if it's in a nearby campus recreational center.

When you mention English and History, I usually just group them into General Education/Gen-Ed courses. Gen-Ed courses can be fulfilling if you take the ones that genuinely could be of interest to you, although they shouldn't clutter up a degree pathway.

For example, at my university a CS Major could have 8 semesters with 4 classes each if the Free Elective and Gen-Ed noise was removed. But with those additions, every semester on average a student takes 5 courses which leads to burnout real fast if students want to perform well. From what I notice, students who take 5 courses a semester are much more likely to receive poor grades simply because that extra class can put a huge burden when work, extracurricular activities, etc. are factored in. Quality over quantity is key.

One of the best courses I took at my university was a Gen-Ed titled "Business Ethics." It wasn't necessarily concerned with right or wrong, but rather specific case studies and legislation that exists in the United States. For example, I learned about Enron Corporation and their creative accounting methods such as Cookie Jar Accounting (eventually the executives got caught) and then Sarbanes-Oxley was passed shortly after in 2002 which requires every publicly traded company in the U.S. to have a code of ethics for at least top-level management and the CEO needs to verify all quarterly transactions; this is significant because the executives at Enron tried pleading ignorance when they were caught, and the provisions from Sarbanes-Oxley were meant to forbid from executives using ignorance as an escape card. There's also the Ponzi scheme from Bernie Madoff, the Deepwater Horizon BP oil disaster, and plenty of other cases. I could go into more, but you get the idea.

When I took Gen-Ed courses, I looked for courses that would be genuinely interesting to me. For some students, they take Gen-Ed courses as GPA boosters which I would argue is a waste of time although it's required as part of a degree pathway in some cases.
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote