Old 09-3-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default The Running Thread

While there was a thread titled FFR Runners, it didn't provide much in the context of resources for improving running times and some of the difficulties that come with it.

For anyone here that runs on a regular basis and has input on proper nutrition and improvement techniques for running, I'll include them in the first post. Someone else can take over this thread if they show that they can provide insightful advice on a regular basis (e.g. not taking a month to respond).
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-3-2016, 01:52 PM   #2
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: The Running Thread

Separating from the first post since the first post is meant to be entirely informational.

As a supplement to In The Groove, I am starting to run to increase both my stamina and speed. Back in high school I was very sedentary and my mile run time was barely under 12 minutes (I think it was 11:52). Only recently have I been reducing this sedentary lifestyle -- most of my exercise right now comes from walking around on campus a lot.

For the first time I tried running on a treadmill in my university's fitness room this Wednesday. I managed to keep a 6 MPH pace for 15 minutes before I had a nasty burn in my legs and had to stop. I tried 8 MPH and I think I stopped at 2 minutes. Then I tried 10 MPH three times with a few minutes break in between and barely could keep that pace for 30 seconds. Considering I was able to run a 10 minute mile and still keep that 6 MPH pace for another half mile, that is a tremendous improvement from back when I was in high school (when I had trouble passing ITG 10's and now I've passed some easier ITG 13's, so it is noticeable on my end).

The issue I'm having is that I'm not sure what a good procedure would be for running. The 10 MPH segments I did on Wednesday hurt way more than the 15 minutes at 6 MPH. For the next two days my ribs were hurting and my legs felt awful. Today is Saturday (three days after the exercise) and my ribs are feeling fine now, although my legs are still in a good amount of pain. So I feel like what I did was a bad way to exercise because the recovery time is way too long and I could possibly damage something.

What would runners here recommend? How did you start out? I was thinking of some possibilities:
- Run 3 times a week, every two days basically with an hour session. Start out with 6 MPH: 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes. Basically the same speed but build up the time.
- Run 5 times a week with shorter sessions, 30-45 minutes. Start out with 6 MPH like stated above and build up.

I also have a large protein intake after running (Whey Protein and milk along with other meals in the day), although I'd like to know what else is suggested.

Last edited by DossarLX ODI; 09-3-2016 at 01:54 PM..
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-3-2016, 02:12 PM   #3
inDheart
Picker @ JAX2
FFR Simfile Author

i have a third option for you especially if you're just starting out: get out more times in the week for shorter runs, but don't play with the speed yet, just put the work in. make it your first goal to get through a 30~45 min run with no breaks, but don't feel the need to push that on your first day out - if you have to take breaks, still aim to get 30 minutes of total running time in. as you adjust to the schedule you'll find you can go further for longer, and once you get that down it'll be better to turn up the speed.
inDheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-3-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
EtienneSM
FFR Player
D8 Godly Keysmasher

Send a message via Skype™ to EtienneSM

I know when I first started running, I had no idea what my pace was. I had a very anaerobic way of running too, meaning I would get tired relatively quickly, and run on pure tiredness. Where as an aerobic run, you're controlling your pace better and able to finish runs in a more efficient and even sometimes fast manner. If you're just getting into distance running, it's more about just putting time on your feet so your legs are conditioned to handle higher mileages as your running progresses. It seems like your legs aren't quite conditioned to do more speed-oriented stuff, which is normal for someone who doesn't have fast-twitch muscles and isn't an experience runner. That can be done at any time.

I'd suggest just getting in 20-30 mins of solid/not extremely exerting running at least 3-5 times a week until you feel comfortable enough to try longer runs as you progress. A GPS watch would be a great indicator of keeping track of your pace. Finding your pace is very important for training and if you can't seem to get a hold of one, map some routes out and use a regular watch to at least have an estimate to see how fast each mile is. I'd also highly suggest stretching before and after every run as it will make you looser and looser as a runner and prevent you from being prone to injuries compared to if you didn't stretch.

Also, DON'T OVERTRAIN/OVERDO RUNS AND MAKE SURE YOU'RE REPLENISHING EVERYTHING YOU BURNED OFF. I can't stress how many times I've overdone my training and ruined multiple cross country/track seasons for myself. If something is bothering you greatly. Look up some stretches for that specific injury and always be sure to ice it afterwards too. This is #1 priority if you want to keep your running momentum going and not be at risk of taking days to weeks off. I can't tell you how many injuries I've had with running, whether it's overtraining, not getting enough calories in after runs, not stretching enough, etc. It's the little things that matter, trust me.

Luckily, I've been a bit smarter about my training so far in college. My first collegiate race, I ran a 16:58 3-mile yesterday (Which is about a 17:30-ish 5k which would be a PR yay) and it's because I've been smart about my training and haven't overdone any runs, taking care of any tightness/nutrition, etc.

I'm no expert in anything at all, this is just all from the noggin so apologies if I'm wrong in any aspect, haha.

Edit: For protein, I also have a whey protein shake mixed with milk. So you should be fine with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KgZ View Post
enjoy having every guy ask if they can get some love on their weiner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I also like the nps scale. The standard ITG scale for harder files is blown out of proportion and no longer makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
nps is still a better idea for ratings
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimtkiller View Post
there is 1 tip for people going to college. When you're in college, you'll be 16, which is the age where (where i live) you can get laid lawfully. basically, get laid asap when they look the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapta View Post
My logic is that the brain processes in 60 FPS so I play 60 FPS.

Last edited by EtienneSM; 09-3-2016 at 02:36 PM..
EtienneSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-3-2016, 02:58 PM   #5
infinity.
sideways 8
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to infinity.

i started running after my junior year in high school to condition for sports, ran a really slow mile, couldn't really run for more than a mile. been running about 5-6 times a week ever since and now am a 2:40 marathoner and have a 16:30 5k.

you don't really need to be too scientific about it, just make sure you're getting out there and stretching afterwards. find ways to get excited about your runs and worry about building up endurance before looking to catalog your progress. i would stress that early stages you shouldn't be looking at your splits or trying to hit certain times.

try to mix it up and run outside on new paths or find new places to go, it'll likely be difficult to stay motivated staring at the wall of a gym or a tv screen while running all the time

nerds

Last edited by infinity.; 09-3-2016 at 02:58 PM..
infinity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-3-2016, 03:09 PM   #6
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
While there was a thread titled FFR Runners, it didn't provide much in the context of resources for improving running times and some of the difficulties that come with it.

For anyone here that runs on a regular basis and has input on proper nutrition and improvement techniques for running, I'll include them in the first post. Someone else can take over this thread if they show that they can provide insightful advice on a regular basis (e.g. not taking a month to respond).
I think the reason why that thread pretty much flopped was because there weren't enough people running to keep the thread alive.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-4-2016, 06:15 PM   #7
inDheart
Picker @ JAX2
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtienneSM View Post
I'm no expert in anything at all, this is just all from the noggin so apologies if I'm wrong in any aspect, haha.
it's hard to figure out how he is at speed or distance when it sounds like he has rather little of a training base in. if we feel like finding out, let's give him some sprint workouts later on :3

if you have a smartphone and some way of reasonably carrying it, it can basically replace the GPS watch. plenty of running type apps that do the same thing. GPS won't help if he's not running outside though :P i dunno, i'm just averse to spending money on equipment; i didn't even buy spikes until several years after i started, and just did my races in a big heavy pair of training shoes.

stretching afterward is super super helpful except so many people skip it thinking it's not. most people i know stretch beforehand and that's it.
inDheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-4-2016, 10:23 PM   #8
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

I may not be a runner anymore, but I still have a good amount of experience from it. I can try to help anyone out if they have questions on how to get better and whatnot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inDheart View Post
if you have a smartphone and some way of reasonably carrying it, it can basically replace the GPS watch. plenty of running type apps that do the same thing. GPS won't help if he's not running outside though :P i dunno, i'm just averse to spending money on equipment; i didn't even buy spikes until several years after i started, and just did my races in a big heavy pair of training shoes.
I think in my 6th year of running, I was using an app called Nike+. It's a great app that logs the distance and the time of your runs - plus, you even get the luxury of seeing what your mile pace is. The creators even added a training program to the app to help people who really want to improve their run times. The only issue with using a smartphone app is that sometimes the GPS can be glitchy depending on the phone provider. If you're serious about really tracking your times, I would recommend getting a watch such as Garmin, or Nike+ watch.
The Nike+ watch is pretty neat because I was able to obtain data that appeared to be more accurate than using the app on my phone.

Last edited by Mahou; 09-4-2016 at 10:25 PM..
Old 09-4-2016, 10:29 PM   #9
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I also have a large protein intake after running (Whey Protein and milk along with other meals in the day), although I'd like to know what else is suggested.
It doesn't have to be with milk, but whey protein is a nice supplement to have post workout. I also do recommend taking L-Glutamine as well.
Old 09-4-2016, 10:45 PM   #10
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by inDheart View Post
i dunno, i'm just averse to spending money on equipment; i didn't even buy spikes until several years after i started, and just did my races in a big heavy pair of training shoes.
howwwwwwww x.x

it was always so much harder for me to run for time (on anything longer than a mile) without a lighter pair. the spikes themselves helped too, of course, but just the weight of those trainers... gah.

on topic: I've been a couch potato for months, but I wanna try to get back into it soon, perhaps with the help of this thread as a reminder.

I'm in agreement with those who have said it's best not to worry much about pace at first. for me, there's such a huge difference in my comfort level and stamina between my first week or two starting out versus the entire time afterward. I don't bother at all with really pushing myself until I've gotten those first dozen+ miles in.

personally, I haven't found ice treatment to be necessary unless I'm putting in competitive-level work, which I last did years ago. might not be the same for everyone, though.

Last edited by dAnceguy117; 09-4-2016 at 10:47 PM..
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-4-2016, 10:52 PM   #11
blanky!
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to blanky!

Hi.
I pretty much started cross country freshman year with zero training. I was your classic walker, and the coach wasn't entirely happy about that.
Fast forward three years and now I can drop a 5:06 mile and quite possibly a 17:30 5k if I stay healthy and taper well. It's all about consistency and avoiding injury.
I'll add more later...gtg now
blanky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-4-2016, 10:53 PM   #12
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
personally, I haven't found ice treatment to be necessary unless I'm putting in competitive-level work
I agree. It's pretty much only necessary if you're doing it for an upcoming race. There are also plenty of other ways to recover quicker without having to ice yourself.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:46 PM   #13
JanellIsabel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
I agree. It's pretty much only necessary if you're doing it for an upcoming race. There are also plenty of other ways to recover quicker without having to ice yourself.
True!!
JanellIsabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #14
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanky! View Post
It's all about consistency and avoiding injury.
No doubt. I too, run. My favorite place to run is on the Greenway trail late at night. There are normally deer, skunks, bats, possums, and coons chilling on the trail. I feel like the lion king gettin it on that trail man, headphones blasting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
whey protein is a nice supplement to have post workout. I also do recommend taking L-Glutamine as well.
I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtienneSM View Post
MAKE SURE YOU'RE REPLENISHING EVERYTHING YOU BURNED OFF.
Yeah you gotta eat.

Last edited by Travis_Flesher; 10-24-2017 at 05:55 PM..
Travis_Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2017, 05:57 AM   #15
Superbearhands
FFR Player

Quote:
I take citrulline malate pre-workout. Great benefits whether it's cardio or lifting day.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:25 PM   #16
Noxyu
FFR Player

I want to get into running but I have no clue where to start.

I jog here and there in my neighborhood and I've enjoyed it for the most part. But I'd like to take that to the next level to be able to have more stamina when running and to gain more speed.

Any ideas on how I could get started on this?
Old 02-7-2018, 06:09 PM   #17
Shodzzy
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to Shodzzy Send a message via Skype™ to Shodzzy

I can't run more then a few meters without having a fucking heartattack lol

1. pedophilia?

2. statutory rape?

3. masturbation?
goood mythical morning
Shodzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:48 PM   #18
Sullyman2007
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Sullyman2007

Went for a short run down the block today. It's definitely something I enjoy and also helps reduce anxiety. Years ago I ran a lot more but I've fallen off since then. Trying to go at least a few times a week now.
Sullyman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #19
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I ran my first 5k today and I'm super proud and stoked about it
Old 06-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #20
Kraezymann
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via MSN to Kraezymann