Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2004, 09:38 PM   #61
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omeganitros
PS2 controller has too many damn buttons.
All those damn buttons are placed perfectly for games for the PS2. The best examples of this I can give at the moment are TimeSplitters 1 and 2 and Red Faction 1 and 2. And think about it. I just heard on G4techtv that the developers of Nintendo said that if you want to get the best use out of your GBA or GC or vice-versa you HAVE to own both. Now seeing that the DS is also coming out around the time the new Nintendo console comes out sounds.......well very fishy to me. And you PROBABLY will have to have the next Nintendo console to get the best out of your DS. And Metal Gear Solid has a very big fanbase last time I checked. The first game did come out in the 80's people..........
Old 06-27-2004, 09:41 PM   #62
Kenzya
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kenzya

Gmaecube only has like.. one less button that the playstation controller. (excluding the analog buttons because those are just a joke).

L, R, Z, X, Y, A, B - Nintendo Gamecube - 7

TRIANGLE, SQUARE, CIRCLE, X, L1, L2, R1, R2 - PS2 - 8

The SNES controller is not better than a playstation controller because the SNES controller is just flat.. the playstation controller is at least designed to fit in your hands (let your hands go limp.. you'll see the playstation controller fits right in there)..

Edit: Hello \/ \/

Edit: Hell-Fuckin'-lo?? \/ \/ \/
Kenzya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 09:42 PM   #63
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewpinthethird
How does a PS2 controller have too many buttons? How can you have too many buttons? That is impossible.

Meh, I've played many games where they use every button.
The problem is, they don't need to use all those buttons. Ever played Banjo Tooie? It used nearly every single two-button combination for the N64 controller, and it rocked.
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 09:44 PM   #64
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer

Well Soul Calibur 2 for the PS2 did get the best control award for the game. Gamecube only got best secret character.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:09 PM   #65
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

My hands curve themselves into the shape of a SNES controller if I let them go limp.

I played just a bit too much of it back in the day.

And you forgot L3 and R3 on the Playstation controller (push the analog sticks in).

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:30 PM   #66
dmleet
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewpinthethird
So, Sony Playstation (PSONE) was their first Console...and that did fairly good to say the least.
PSOne is the small white version of PSX. PSX is the big, gray one, and they have some differences.

But yes, you're right. PSX dominated.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:52 PM   #67
Kenzya
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy
And you forgot L3 and R3 on the Playstation controller (push the analog sticks in).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzya
(excluding the analog buttons because those are just a joke).
You forgot I didn't include the start or select buttons because those aren't really used in game either.

The SNES controller isn't molded to your hand.. you can just place it in your hand..

Shit, I'm not entirely pro Sony and I'm not entirely against Nintendo..
Just doing research and stuff it looks, to me, that the PSP would be a better buy (As long as the price isn't in the 500's)..
Old 06-28-2004, 12:26 AM   #68
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Even if it is, it will go down eventually.

Remember when the GC was like 200 and above?..and now it is like 80 bucks because no one buys it.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:39 AM   #69
Kenzya
FFR Player

You can get a gamecube used for $50.. I still haven't bought it.. (And I just got $650.00 for my birthday (June 25th))
Old 06-28-2004, 07:34 AM   #70
neodarkmagicianking
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

DS---psp is basicly just a havdheld playstation.
neodarkmagicianking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 07:37 AM   #71
neodarkmagicianking
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

what my image is not posting???!!!
neodarkmagicianking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 08:09 AM   #72
IAMTHEEVILBEAN
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to IAMTHEEVILBEAN

Why isn't NGAGE on the poll?
IAMTHEEVILBEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:01 AM   #73
DHS1
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to DHS1 Send a message via AIM to DHS1 Send a message via MSN to DHS1 Send a message via Yahoo to DHS1

hello! who the heck would want to buy PSP ... it will cost anywhere between $250.00-$400.00 and you would have to recharge it every 2 - 2 and a half hours!! howw are you supposed to watch a full length move on it! ugh... DS is much better no matter how the graphics are...

DHS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:49 AM   #74
Kenzya
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHS1
hello! who the heck would want to buy PSP ... it will cost anywhere between $250.00-$400.00 and you would have to recharge it every 2 - 2 and a half hours!! howw are you supposed to watch a full length move on it! ugh... DS is much better no matter how the graphics are...
You know this for a fact huh? Because the system came out right? Special release party in your house?

I heard.. the battery could last anywhere from 2.2 hours - 10 hours.. BUT the product isn't finished yet so it's (most) likely to be more/longer. Either way.. 2 - 2 1/2 is a full length movie.

Who the hell knows about the price.. it could cost anywhere from $100 - $600.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:34 AM   #75
ShadowSkill
FFR Player

DS is going to kick so much ass there wont be any PSP left for any one else

http://www.13thlabour.tk
ShadowSkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:38 AM   #76
QreepyBORIS
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to QreepyBORIS Send a message via MSN to QreepyBORIS

Quote:
DS is going to kick so much ass there wont be any PSP left for any one else
...Huh?

Signature subject to change.

THE ZERRRRRG.
QreepyBORIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:20 PM   #77
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

Back to the controller thing. There are reasons I love the PS2 ones and hate XBox and GC controllers. XBox I hate because they're huge, and other than that, the buttons are not evenly spread out. You have 6 bunched together on the front and then 2 triggers on the back. With the PS2, it's 4 on top, 4 on front, so it's easier to hit a bunch of buttons at once. I've played games on both XBox and PS2, and some games are a ton easier to control on PS2 because of this.

For example, in Jedi Starfighter, you can zoom in by holding a button and you have primary and secondary weapons that you can be firing. Thrust and brake are used by 2 of the shoulder buttons (for both controllers). With the PS2, the zoom is one of the shoulder buttons, but on XBox it has to be on the front. So, if you wanted to be zoomed in, thrusting towards the enemy, shooting primary and secondary weapons, and be moving and aiming at things all at once, you'd have quite a hard time on the XBox. On PS2, the controls are evenly spaced so you never have to hit 2 buttons with one finger (which is the only way I could do the previously mentioned maneuvers on XBox).

And one of the reasons I hate GC is because it's not symmetrical. There are 3 shoulder buttons...wtf!? N64 was the same way, but it had 3 prongs, which was kind of an excuse (but the prongs themselves were inexcusable). I don't know of the other reasons I hate GC, because I haven't really played on them too much. But the few times I've used the controller at Walmart/Best Buy/wherever I just remember hating it and thinking it was retarded. I mean, I could stand using an XBox controller, but the GC one is just messed up.

And as for this topic overall, I don't see many people looking at this objectively. We seem to all be fanboys of one side or the other. I, for one, am going to wait until the rest of you go out and buy both and compare. Also, I'll see what games come out for each.

And just so I can get this straight: what kind of discs does the PSP use? If I understand correctly, it won't be able to play PS1 and PS2 games. So, is it going to use little discs like the GC, or perhaps minidiscs?

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
And I write the blog for their website.

Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O
evilbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:29 PM   #78
Kenzya
FFR Player

GC discs/minidiscs It'll probably have it's own subdivision in the minidisc market..

But yeah.. when this topic started everyone was just like.. NINTENDO DS OMG LIEK, WOOT WOOT FOR THE UNDERDAWG!.. I LOVE NINTENDO BECAUSE IT'S COOL EHEHEHE..

The only reason I stepped in here was to find out why people wanted Nintendo DS.. and they only want it because it's Nintendo.. So I started looking around.. Either of these systems could be the next hit.. There isn't anything soo different that sets them apart besides being of two different companies...
Old 06-28-2004, 01:29 PM   #79
Kenzya
FFR Player

GC discs/minidiscs It'll probably have it's own subdivision in the minidisc market..

But yeah.. when this topic started everyone was just like.. NINTENDO DS OMG LIEK, WOOT WOOT FOR THE UNDERDAWG!.. I LOVE NINTENDO BECAUSE IT'S COOL EHEHEHE..

The only reason I stepped in here was to find out why people wanted Nintendo DS.. and they only want it because it's Nintendo.. So I started looking around.. Either of these systems could be the next hit.. There isn't anything soo different that sets them apart besides being of two different companies...
Old 06-28-2004, 01:33 PM   #80
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

The Nintedo DS is much better because it's Nintendo.

PSP will suck because it's Sony.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote