Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Old 06-30-2018, 06:14 PM   #1
DigiBit
FFR Player

Default STEP Artists needed for new mobile game

Anyone interested in helping creating a new FFR like game for mobile?

I will have a beta version of this hardware out for mobile devices and need help creating SM files for it.

DigiBit Dance
DigiBit Website
DigiBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:22 PM   #2
komochii
Banned

Default Re: STEP Artists needed for new mobile game

yo digit bit dance i dont know if u realized this but we play this fuckin game with our keyboard and shit so tbh i dont care about ur pad trash
komochii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:23 PM   #3
komochii
Banned

like the concept of having an emulated pad is good if ur horrible and play level 1 difficulty songs but like anyone not terrible will delete that shit
komochii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
DigiBit
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by komochii View Post
like the concept of having an emulated pad is good if ur horrible and play level 1 difficulty songs but like anyone not terrible will delete that shit
DigiBit Dance can be played with fingers or feet. When playing with feet, it is necessary to have the DigiBit Devices.

This guy is playing with his feet and he is not level 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD7q-_nJNPQ
Old 06-30-2018, 06:49 PM   #5
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Yo I'm def interested
Old 06-30-2018, 07:04 PM   #6
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

First things first: Why do you need AR for a dance game that doesn't actually do anything with the AR features ? It seems like you're trying to reach a community (rhythm gaming) without quite knowing the needs of the people in it.

Your other products seem to have some potential with a younger targetted audience, like DigiBit Dash and even DigiBit FlappyHands (even though Flappy bird trend is dead now). My best advice would be to focus more on what your customers will enjoy and not so much on showing off what your devices can do.

For example, in your DigiBit Dance, you have tried to recreate the DDR pad features by having 4 directionnal hits. Although that may Sound good, it actually isn't, because the directions without a pad mean nothing! Stepping on the side, or in front of you, is Not a dance move; the pad makes it work because there are physical arrows that act as intuitive buttons, something a user likes (feedback). Also, the 90 degrees jump is clearly there to show your device can recognize such a move, and while that can sometimes be sold with good marketing, you have to realize that when the songs will get harder and the users better at the game, jumping and spinning continuously will be a big problem (stamina intensive + not the most satisfying move).

Finally, the FPS. I don't know if your demo shows the max FPS your will be having in the final product, but that is Definitely not enough. In a rhythm game, you want the notes to flow with the least possible lag and delay, otherwise you'll frustrate the users. This game, FFR, was running 30 FPS back in the days and now it's 60+.

So, all in all, I think you should rethink the concept a little bit and come up with answers to those questions if you seriously plan on selling to the rhythm gaming community. Many rhythm games are free, and yours won't be. Saber Beat is a recent exemple of a polished rhythm game that managed to get the interest of people with VR and isn't free, but it's on console which means more possibilities/power.

Good luck.
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:25 PM   #7
DigiBit
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
First things first: Why do you need AR for a dance game that doesn't actually do anything with the AR features ? It seems like you're trying to reach a community (rhythm gaming) without quite knowing the needs of the people in it.

Your other products seem to have some potential with a younger targetted audience, like DigiBit Dash and even DigiBit FlappyHands (even though Flappy bird trend is dead now). My best advice would be to focus more on what your customers will enjoy and not so much on showing off what your devices can do.

For example, in your DigiBit Dance, you have tried to recreate the DDR pad features by having 4 directionnal hits. Although that may Sound good, it actually isn't, because the directions without a pad mean nothing! Stepping on the side, or in front of you, is Not a dance move; the pad makes it work because there are physical arrows that act as intuitive buttons, something a user likes (feedback). Also, the 90 degrees jump is clearly there to show your device can recognize such a move, and while that can sometimes be sold with good marketing, you have to realize that when the songs will get harder and the users better at the game, jumping and spinning continuously will be a big problem (stamina intensive + not the most satisfying move).

Finally, the FPS. I don't know if your demo shows the max FPS your will be having in the final product, but that is Definitely not enough. In a rhythm game, you want the notes to flow with the least possible lag and delay, otherwise you'll frustrate the users. This game, FFR, was running 30 FPS back in the days and now it's 60+.

So, all in all, I think you should rethink the concept a little bit and come up with answers to those questions if you seriously plan on selling to the rhythm gaming community. Many rhythm games are free, and yours won't be. Saber Beat is a recent exemple of a polished rhythm game that managed to get the interest of people with VR and isn't free, but it's on console which means more possibilities/power.

Good luck.
OK - Great feedback.

The game engine is Unity and everything runs at 60 fps at a minimum with mobile devices. Mobile devices will be getting better though as time goes on.

DigiBit Dance will be FREE for "fingers". I hope to find someone in this community to help be the expert to add the features and polish necessary to get the game to be great.

With some work, this could be a good rhythm game with some new moves that were not possible in the past with PADs. Also playing with many players in one song would be cool.

If anyone is interested in being a Step Artist / developer / early beta tester, let me know.

Also about the new 90 deg jump move in DigiBit Dance. You can see this guy playing DDR. He is clearly not an beginner and he does 180 moves as well as 90's in this video. This is what we were thinking.

My e-mail is: coltcorrea@myDigiBit.com

Last edited by DigiBit; 06-30-2018 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: missed a sentance
Old 06-30-2018, 07:30 PM   #8
DigiBit
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
Yo I'm def interested
Please e-mail me if you are interested in helping with SM files and testing. The game is new and there is a lot of work before it can be released.

coltcorrea@myDigiBit.com
Old 06-30-2018, 08:03 PM   #9
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiBit View Post
The game engine is Unity and everything runs at 60 fps at a minimum with mobile devices. Mobile devices will be getting better though as time goes on.
The notes in the demo video you provided seem to have a very jagged movement. The AR might be 60+ FPS but your scrolling refresh rate needs to be way higher.

Quote:
DigiBit Dance will be FREE for "fingers". I hope to find someone in this community to help be the expert to add the features and polish necessary to get the game to be great.
Is there a demo video for the fingers version ? I am curious to see what differs from the dance version since both playstyles are vastly different.

Quote:
With some work, this could be a good rhythm game with some new moves that were not possible in the past with PADs. Also playing with many players in one song would be cool.
Like I said, new moves aren't a problem. You have to keep in mind though that the kind of moves you implement must scale well with difficulties and have some sort of meaning or relevant feedback. Let me ask you: if you have 2 of the same directional note back to back, how would you have to hit it ? I suppose you'd need to move your foot back to the center and re-step in the same direction for your device to pick it up. That quickly becomes tedious when scaling to faster songs; you'd need to avoid repetitive steps as much as possible and that is pretty limiting.

Quote:
Also about the new 90 deg jump move in DigiBit Dance. You can see this guy playing DDR. He is clearly not an beginner and he does 180 moves as well as 90's in this video. This is what we were thinking.
I have watched the video. You have to take in consideration that the guy does 2 jumps (which are only for style in his case) in about 1000+ notes, and that he clearly has a good stamina (better than average player). Making such a spinjump a move brings very little to your game as far as I can tell. Personally, I feel like "See this good player does it, so it must be a nice move" doesn't seel it for me.
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:11 PM   #10
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
The notes in the demo video you provided seem to have a very jagged movement. The AR might be 60+ FPS but your scrolling refresh rate needs to be way higher.
I agree with this, the notes moving look choppy currently
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class

Last edited by Rapta; 06-30-2018 at 08:11 PM..
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:26 PM   #11
DigiBit
FFR Player

The YouTube video is just a quick demo. It got messed up in edit and the video was recorded at 30fps. The game engine is the largest one out there for mobile development. Its Unity3D so it is designed for really good play. My understanging from other forms is that the best score on the DDR machines at the arcade are judged with a 17ms accuracy. That is the goal with DigiBit. We are at around 50ms now.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:44 PM   #12
Jousway
FFR Player

1) you having a ddr layout with arrows, the last time a game had that called itg, it got sued

2) your app needs an overhawl with how it looks, it looks like kiddies first app, as if you never made anything before and this is the first app you've ever made

3) I like the consept it just doesnt look good, sorry.

edit: read a bit more of the posts
you talk about unity as if thats a good thing while its known by people that have used and tried including me that unity is terrible for rhytm games, because of the way the engine works its laggy and has slow responce when it comes to rhythm games, so if you want high end charts and focus on having hard core rythm gamers play it you're gonna have a hard time, if you focus on kids and have a fun gameplay you can make this prob a success, just my 2 cents

Last edited by Jousway; 06-30-2018 at 11:51 PM..
Jousway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-1-2018, 12:19 AM   #13
Xiz
TWG Chaos
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Xiz

Your game visually really needs to be reworked because this screams copyright lawsuit. You also feature your competitors product you inspired in your video, that is problematic even more so.

I need to +1 Jousway about Unity

You need a custom engine, because current state of unity is trash for rhythm games.
Like even Unreal is better then unity.

Good luck though

Xiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-1-2018, 09:52 AM   #14
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Few points:
1) This will be a nightmare if the sensor response times aren't absolute perfection. Nothing, and I repeat nothing is more frustrating to a rhythm gamer, casual or serious, than poor judgments caused by some type of latency or inconsistency with the game (or associated hardware) itself.

2) The AR aspect of using your camera while playing is a bit lost on me. The reason you gave is that you can record your friends while you're playing the game, but I don't understand why you would want to do that. The only tie-in I can find for why you would want AR on a game like this is that if the person controlling the phone is given dance moves, the friend they are recording on AR must mimic those moves and be scored accordingly on the app (Sort of like a just dance vibe, but the person you're recording mimic's your moves instead of the cartoons on the screen).

3) Look and feel: Long way from where it needs to be. I'm reminded of low-quality DDR knockoff games like this one which is definitely not a good thing when you're competing with things like Deemo or even other mobile rhythm games that track your movement like Just Dance Now.

4) As stated by others, Unity is not a great platform for rhythm games. It has been tried before and people now know to avoid it because of how laggy it can be.

Last edited by rushyrulz; 07-1-2018 at 09:53 AM..
rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-2-2018, 02:04 AM   #15
clasko1000
Ima Twans
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to clasko1000

Quote:
DigiBit Dance can be played with fingers or feet. When playing with feet, it is necessary to have the DigiBit Devices.
This guy is playing with his feet and he is not level 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD7q-_nJNPQ

Quote:
OK - Great feedback.
I'm not going to jump in and beat a dead horse. There are a lot of things you should consider stated already in this thread.

However, I did want to take the chance to tell you that the first thing you should have actually done is research the dance game scene. There is a very large amount of content in the DDR, ITG, PIU realm for you to take a look at. You linked a 10 year old video to a song/chart that is 17 years old. Things have come light years since then. Saying "He is not a beginner" or "This is not lvl 1" is just the perfect example of you have no idea what your talking about.

If you take anything away from our community, please know this. Were not elitist jerks. We are the people in the rhythm game community who would play a game for hours at a time. (I played 4 hours of DDR Ace uninterrupted today since no one was my local arcade) Which is way more than 5 minutes you will get from any rando 12 year old who picks this up on their phone.

Best AAA's | Slam the door(61) Scars Left By Time(62) What Lies Beyond The Mountains(62)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald000 View Post
I'll take some more free boosters please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
please do the community a favor
http://ffr.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ
clasko1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-2-2018, 02:17 AM   #16
clasko1000
Ima Twans
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to clasko1000

Maybe I can actually contribute something solid to the thread. If you want to research a game that's similar to your's in terms of foot movement check out Konami's latest game DanceRush Stardom. Hers just a quick video of me playing on the first day back in May of this year. It also has the 180 > turn around type of moves but they are charted that way instead of just "stylin" in the DDR video you watched.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/twans.anian...3600714008541/

Best AAA's | Slam the door(61) Scars Left By Time(62) What Lies Beyond The Mountains(62)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald000 View Post
I'll take some more free boosters please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
please do the community a favor
http://ffr.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ
clasko1000 is offline   Reply With Quote